PDA

View Full Version : Crede and Quentin All-Stars

infohawk
07-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Dye should have been a lock, but I'm happy with these guys.

It's Dankerific
07-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Crede got a well deserved spot!

GO JOE!!!

russ99
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow, A.J. got shafted.

Nice job with plcking Varitek over him with his .219 average. Stupid Francona.:angry:

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow, A.J. got shafted.

Nice job with plcking Varitek over him with his .219 average. Stupid Francona.:angry:

Again as said a bunch of times in the other thread, Varitek was voted in by the players, not Francona. Needless to say AJ would never be voted in by the players.

TommyGavinFloyd
07-06-2008, 03:15 PM
It's Quentin. Carlos Quentin.

Stringer
07-06-2008, 03:21 PM
John and AJ got shafted

SMH

jabrch
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow, A.J. got shafted.

Wasn't Francona...was the players.

Rockabilly
07-06-2008, 03:39 PM
thats it 2 players

we should have had at least 3 more

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Gavin is the one who really got shafted, Linebrink after him.

Danks was done in by his teammates, be it the offense who doesn't like to score when he is on the mound, or the bullpen who likes to blow his leads. Not Francona or the players. Really, we would be livid if a 5-4 sp on another team got in, no matter what his ERA was.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Danks was done in by his teammates, be it the offense who doesn't like to score when he is on the mound, or the bullpen who likes to blow his leads. Not Francona or the players. Really, we would be livid if a 5-4 sp on another team got in, no matter what his ERA was.

They got shafted but they will get some rest, kick ass the rest of the season, we win the WS and a bunch of Sox go next year.:cool:

chaerulez
07-06-2008, 04:29 PM

True, but it's just another reason why win loss record doesn't really mean much. I will admit it's hard to make a case against any of the starters named because they are all deserving, but if this one player per team rule didn't existed I would say Danks is more deserving than Sherrill or Carlos Guillen.

Stringer
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I just realized the thread title is misspelled

lawl

lizard6king6
07-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Whatever, another stupid Boston N.Y all star game of players who dont deserve to be there. Sure several White Sox didnt get picked but too many other players who dont deserve to be there are there.

chisoxmike
07-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Crede got a well deserved spot!

GO JOE!!!

:?:

Dye deserves it over Crede.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 05:16 PM

Totally. When I saw Crede's name shown first, I was like oh well then Dye HAS to make it. I naturally assumed at least 3 allstars then. What a snub, I still can't believe Varitek made it.

sox1970
07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Yes, and Longoria deserves it over Crede if you ask me.

Maybe a snub by Francona because of the bad blood this year with the Red Sox and Rays.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, and Longoria deserves it over Crede if you ask me.

Maybe a snub by Francona because of the bad blood this year with the Red Sox and Rays.

If true that guy needs to get over it. If he wants to go to another world series I'm sure he wants to have homefield advantage.

johnnyg83
07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
non-starting position players were picked by the players

kidmccarthy
07-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I hate to say this but...Crede does not deserve it. 17 errors. a 260 batting average. WOW. Longoria is a rookie, played less games, and has better numbers. This does two things. Crede's back problems do not get a 4 day break, and his contract dollars just went way up in Boras's eyes.

He gone
07-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Whatever, another stupid Boston N.Y all star game of players who dont deserve to be there. Sure several White Sox didnt get picked but too many other players who dont deserve to be there are there.

Only 3 Yankees.

But 7 Red Sox and 7 Cubs :angry:

EuroSox35
07-06-2008, 06:04 PM
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2057/soxgame7608009rb0.jpg

EuroSox35
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Dye and the young starters deserved it along with TCQ, sorry Crede, that but pick made me :scratch:

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I hate to say this but...Crede does not deserve it. 17 errors. a 260 batting average. WOW. Longoria is a rookie, played less games, and has better numbers. This does two things. Crede's back problems do not get a 4 day break, and his contract dollars just went way up in Boras's eyes.
Crede will get at most 1 at bat and field for 2-3 innings, so it won't be THAT tolling on his body. Way to go, All Stars Crede and Quentin. The job isn't over, though! We HAVE to get Dye in!

getonbckthr
07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Olney just gave us some love saying both Dye and Floyd are the 2 biggest AL snubs.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Olney just gave us some love saying both Dye and Floyd are the 2 biggest AL snubs.

Where did he say this? Sportscenter? I remember Olney saying last night that Dye should be an allstar and all the people that bashed Kenny Williams, which includes himself, for making a bad trade for Gavin Floyd are stupid.

MarySwiss
07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
I agree that Dye should have gotten in over Crede. But so what? This is largely a beauty contest anyway.

And at the end of the day, I'll be perfectly happy to thank the Red Sox and Yankees players who win the home field advantage for us in the World Series...as they sit home and watch after completing their rounds of golf.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Seriously, do the Angels need THREE pitchers on the team?

If it was up to me, the Sox representatives would be AJ, Dye, TCQ and Floyd. Evan Longoria deserves it more than him.

Dibbs
07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I am very happy for Carlos. The All-Star game has long been a joke. There are five plus guys on our team that deserve it more than Joe.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I am very happy for Carlos. The All-Star game has long been a joke. There are five plus guys on our team that deserve it more than Joe.

And pretty much everyone in the majors deserve it more than Varitek.

Brian26
07-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Does the All-Star nod make it even that much harder to sign Crede after the season? I'm sure Boras is happy he now gets to market Joe as an all-star third baseman.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Brian:

To answer your question...yes.

I congratulate Joe and Carlos but I'm always astounded by the stupidity of MLB and for the most part, the "voting fans" in this farce.

I haven't watched this popularity contest in almost 25 years but when you have statistically the finest pitching staff in baseball, top to bottom, how can you justify not having a single guy off it?

Nuts...pure and simple. Oh well, the rest will do the Sox more good.

Lip

cheezheadsoxfan
07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree that Dye should have gotten in over Crede. But so what? This is largely a beauty contest anyway.

And at the end of the day, I'll be perfectly happy to thank the Red Sox and Yankees players who win the home field advantage for us in the World Series...as they sit home and watch after completing their rounds of golf.

I think with Joe it might be make up for 2006 and coming off of surgery. I'm happy for him. He should have a Gold Glove by now (not for this year, but still. . )

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm calling it right now.

National League gets its first win in the ASG since 1996.

chisoxmike
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm calling it right now.

National League gets its first win in the ASG since 1996.

Wood will blow the game. :rolling:

MarySwiss
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I think with Joe it might be make up for 2006 and coming off of surgery. I'm happy for him. He should have a Gold Glove by now (not for this year, but still. . )

Yep. Probably payback. Which is another reason why no one should take this beauty pageant seriously. This may just be one of Joe's worst years--as far as errors--in recent memory. We all know how good he is and has been. But this year?

sox1970
07-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Wood will blow the game. :rolling:

...on a Crede homer.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
They wern't too clear... I know they are in, but are they starting? I don't think the word "starting" was used... so I'm not sure. :tongue:

cheezheadsoxfan
07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Yep. Probably payback. Which is another reason why no one should take this beauty pageant seriously. This may just be one of Joe's worst years--as far as errors--in recent memory. We all know how good he is and has been. But this year?

Since the Sox usually get screwed where recognition is concerned I'll take whatever comes our way. Plus, no less a baseball expert than Phil Rogers thinks he should go.

Craig Grebeck
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't think Floyd really deserved to at all. His ERA is helped by a lot of runs being unearned.

Danks on the other hand was robbed.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
They wern't too clear... I know they are in, but are they starting? I don't think the word "starting" was used... so I'm not sure. :tongue:Crede and Quentin are reserves.

Starters are voted by the fans, reserves and pitchers are voted by the players and manager.

asindc
07-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't think Floyd really deserved to at all. His ERA is buoyed by a lot of runs being unearned.

Well, isn't that the whole point, to not penalize the pitcher?

Rdy2PlayBall
07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Crede and Quentin are reserves.

Starters are voted by the fans, reserves and pitchers are voted by the players and manager.What are the chances of reserves actualy playing?

Railsplitter
07-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Both deserve it. :cheers:

Craig Grebeck
07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, isn't that the whole point, to not penalize the pitcher?
Holy **** I phrased that terribly.

I'm damn tired. That being said, I meant that he's been helped a lot by having a lot of unearned runs. Danks has been way, way better.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I haven't watched this popularity contest in almost 25 years

You didn't watch it in 2003 when Loaiza got the start at "home?"

You didn't watch in 2006 when Buehrle got the start?

I think many elements of the ASG are a crock/farce/joke, but I still want to see my favorite team's players representing.

getonbckthr
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't think Floyd really deserved to at all. His ERA is helped by a lot of runs being unearned.

Well if those errors didn't happen he might have 12-14 wins opposed to 10. For Danks As good as his era is he doesn't have the wins. And thats unfortunate.

#1swisher
07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
They got shafted but they will get some rest, kick ass the rest of the season, we win the WS and a bunch of Sox go next year.:cool:

I like the way you think. Remember AS06...Ozzie was the manager. How much playing time did our (white sox) guys get?:angry:
Ozzie played all the yankees, couldn't kiss their ass enough.:mad:

Craig Grebeck
07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Well if those errors didn't happen he might have 12-14 wins opposed to 10. For Danks As good as his era is he doesn't have the wins. And thats unfortunate.
Wins don't mean jack **** as a measuring stick for a pitcher.

cards press box
07-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Does the All-Star nod make it even that much harder to sign Crede after the season? I'm sure Boras is happy he now gets to market Joe as an all-star third baseman.

I don't think it matters one way or another. Whether the AL selected Crede as an all-star or not, the post-season market for him should be fairly robust. If the Sox make the playoffs and go far (i.e., pennant or world championship), that could make a difference by providing Williams more resources to keep players such as Crede and Orlando Cabrera. Of course, we don't know all the variables right now. What is the market for 3rd basemen and shortstops? How favorable are the Sox internal options, etc.

Brian:

To answer your question...yes.

I congratulate Joe and Carlos but I'm always astounded by the stupidity of MLB and for the most part, the "voting fans" in this farce.

I haven't watched this popularity contest in almost 25 years but when you have statistically the finest pitching staff in baseball, top to bottom, how can you justify not having a single guy off it?

Nuts...pure and simple. Oh well, the rest will do the Sox more good.

Lip

Lip, I agree about the rest being beneficial for the pitching staff but your point is well taken. How can the White Sox, playing the league with the DH for crying out loud, lead the Major League in ERA and not have one single, solitary pitcher selected for the All-Star team? I'd like to see someone from ESPN ask Terry Francona that question.

getonbckthr
07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Wins don't mean jack **** as a measuring stick for a pitcher.
When it comes to the All-Star it does. Like I said its unfortunate for Johnny.

ChiSox89
07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
congrats to crede and Q.:) i was at the game and they started playing that all star song and once i saw it they show crede and Q and announced it and the crowd went crazy. it was very cool

It's Time
07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.nymag.com/images/2/daily/intel/07/11/15_boras_lgl.jpg
"My Client is an All-Star. We're looking for 5 years and 80 million".:rolleyes:

Bucky F. Dent
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
What Lip said.

One of the finest pitching staffs in the league and none of our pitchers went. NONE!

That's absurd!

Lip Man 1
07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Frater:

Nope didn't watch either. In fact the last complete All Star Popularity Contest I remember watching in full was the 83 game at Comiskey Park. By the late 80's when the fans were voting in Davey Lopes with a BA under .200 and a retired Mike Schmidt I said, "I've got better things to do that evening..."

When it returns to the best players from the first half of the season instead of a popularity contest or a "lifetime achievement" award, then I'll start watching again.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lip

spongyfungy
07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
crede? these players must have voted in mid april

Varitek should just give up his spot to AJ. I love this line from espn "Jason Varitek (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5921) over various multicellular organisms capable of wearing a catcher's mitt" http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=3475562

Even though the streak of IRod getting in has been snapped, at least he deserved it over tek.

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2008, 02:12 AM
It's Quentin. Carlos Quentin.

I just realized the thread title is misspelled

lawlFixed.

sullythered
07-07-2008, 02:57 AM
I wonder how often the team with the best ERA in all of baseball at the break hasn't had any pitching representation in the All Star game.:?:

gf2020
07-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Some wonderful chestnuts from the New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07072008/sports/varitek___219__a_surprise_star_118800.htm):

One Bosox omitted was Mike Lowell, who said no thanks at chance to make team through Internet ballot. "I didn't want to be on the Internet vote because I think that's a popularity contest."

So Francona wasn't happy with seven Red Sox as it was? He really needed/wanted to prop up another surefire Red Sox all star? Would eight have been enough?

Francona addressed one omission: Mike Mussina . "[He] needs to be mentioned because of who he is and who he represents. We talked about what is right and in order to do that [include him] somebody would have been left off who is truly deserving.

Francona called Joe Girardi personally to inform him of Mussina's exclusion.

Oh my Lord, how did the great Mike Mussina get left off the team? Did Ozzie get a call about Danks? I somehow doubt it. And if it was about wins, Gavin Floyd only had one less and much better numbers otherwise.

oeo
07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
...on a Crede homer.

If Crede can actually get a hit by that time, I will be ecstatic.

No offense to Crede, but he doesn't deserve to be an All Star. He's not even close to most deserving on this team, let alone the entire AL. In my opinion, it looks like this:
1. Danks
2. Dye
3. Quentin
4. AJ
5. Jenks
6. Linebrink
7. Floyd
8. Buehrle
9. Crede

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Crede getting in over Longoria was my biggest surprise, and Danks should have gotten on, wins be damned. Just vote for Dye, and it'll even things up some. :D: