PDA

View Full Version : Caps

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Anyone know why the Sox and As are wearing blue caps today?

UofCSoxFan
07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
It is part of Fourth of July weekend. Every major league team is wearing the blue cap with the logo having the American Flag's stars and stripes inside, instead of the solid white stitching. I think the hats are tied in somehow with a "Welcome Back Veterans" type charity...I'm not sure if proceeds from sales go to it, if the hats will be auctioned off, or what....

Stringer
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Anybody know if those caps they wore on the 4th with the camo jerseys are available at Grand Stand???

The brown and black ones

35th and Shields
07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Anyone know why the Sox and As are wearing blue caps today?

its for a fund raiser that the MLB is doing. their selling all the hats worn and i believe that the camo jerseys the sox wore are being sold as well.

Brian26
07-06-2008, 07:12 PM
It is part of Fourth of July weekend. Every major league team is wearing the blue cap with the logo having the American Flag's stars and stripes inside, instead of the solid white stitching.

The Gift Shop behind homeplate has a poster showing all of the caps. Toronto even has one, but their logo is just red and white w/ the maple leaf. Nice touch.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3141582&source=TORHP-242x168-newera_starsstripes

doublem23
07-06-2008, 07:17 PM
The Gift Shop behind homeplate has a poster showing all of the caps. Toronto even has one, but their logo is just red and white w/ the maple leaf. Nice touch.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3141582&source=TORHP-242x168-newera_starsstripes

They're all pretty sharp. I do like the Sox's one and would consider getting one, but I don't like the way the 59Fifity hats fit on my head, so no dice.

DumpJerry
07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
They're all pretty sharp. I do like the Sox's one and would consider getting one, but I don't like the way the 59Fifity hats fit on my head, so no dice.
Get a new head.:tongue:

doublem23
07-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Get a new head.:tongue:

Don't change horses in the middle of the river. :cool:

QCIASOXFAN
07-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of them either, they puff up to much and don't fit me well either. I ripped all the inside lining from the home 5950 i have and it still doesn't fit good. I'm looking at the Sox one right now and it's pretty sweet looking though.

russ99
07-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Anybody know if those caps they wore on the 4th with the camo jerseys are available at Grand Stand???

The brown and black ones

I just found it curious the Sox weren't wearing the same cap as the ones they gave out for free on the 4th... Not that I'm complaining, those free camouflage caps are pretty cool.

The black/grey ones are pretty sharp too.

As for those special holiday weekend blue caps, I'm glad that's over. I know they were for a good cause, but IMO those were pretty hideous. At least have home and road versions, so that each team isn't wearing the same cap...

Over By There
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
The regular 5950s look silly on me too, but the "low crown" models look okay after they've been broken in a bit. (I assume that they don't make these special edition caps in low crown, though.)

Luke
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
The Sox had one of, if not the best hat this weekend.

The 5950 used to take forever to break in, like, years. I've just got my first new one since they moved away from wool. I have no clue how long the newer ones take.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of them either, they puff up to much and don't fit me well either. I ripped all the inside lining from the home 5950 i have and it still doesn't fit good. I'm looking at the Sox one right now and it's pretty sweet looking though.

Although New Era claims these are the hats worn on the field, are they really? I also noticed that the hat seems really big on my head, however it doesn't look that way on many players.

I remember a few years ago that the New Era hats fit better. Maybe it's just the new material, etc.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
The regular 5950s look silly on me too, but the "low crown" models look okay after they've been broken in a bit. (I assume that they don't make these special edition caps in low crown, though.)

Do they offer the "low crown" versions to the general public? (Related to my earlier post).

doublem23
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Do they offer the "low crown" versions to the general public? (Related to my earlier post).

The "low crown" version of the flag caps? I don't think so.

Chicken Dinner
07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103035

scarsofthumper
07-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I still think that Indians cap is so wrong.

Illini Stripes
07-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Luke..if they are not wool, what material are they? I just bought my son a 5950 from the New Era store at the Cell on the 5th and it sure looks like wool to me. Maybe not as thick of wool hat of past years but wool. I would recommend going a size bigger they do shrink from sweat, etc. :wink:

The Sox had one of, if not the best hat this weekend.

The 5950 used to take forever to break in, like, years. I've just got my first new one since they moved away from wool. I have no clue how long the newer ones take.

skottyj242
07-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Luke..if they are not wool, what material are they? I just bought my son a 5950 from the New Era store at the Cell on the 5th and it sure looks like wool to me. Maybe not as thick of wool hat of past years but wool. I would recommend going a size bigger they do shrink from sweat, etc. :wink:

They're 100% polyester.

Brian26
07-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Although New Era claims these are the hats worn on the field, are they really? I also noticed that the hat seems really big on my head, however it doesn't look that way on many players.

Most of the players wear the low-crown version. The 59/50s sold at the park and at stores like Lids are the regular version with the higher crown.

The only place I've seen the low-crown version available is online at the New Era website.

One of the few players I remember not wearing the low-crown was Esteban Loaiza.

Also, as an aside, the special hats usually aren't offered in the low-crown version. I called New Era in '05 to ask them if they had a low-crown version of the Sox World Series hat, and they weren't offering one.

Brian26
07-08-2008, 09:26 AM

They're 100% polyester.

I haven't been to the Cap Corner this year, but there's one possibility. They may still be selling the older versions of the 59/50s that are wool just to get rid of the stock.

The reason I say this...

I went to the gift shop behind homeplate over the weekend and looked at some of the Cooperstown Collection hats they were selling. All of the hats since around 2002 should have raised-stitching on the front logos. However, the Gift Shop (along with selling some hats with raised stitching) was still selling the Cooperstown hats with the non-raised stitching sewn into the hats (from 2001 and earlier).

It's a small detail, but I've always thought the raised stitching looks so much better, but anyone who doesn't know about that wouldn't think twice about it and just buy the older version.

Red Barchetta
07-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Most of the players wear the low-crown version. The 59/50s sold at the park and at stores like Lids are the regular version with the higher crown.

The only place I've seen the low-crown version available is online at the New Era website.

One of the few players I remember not wearing the low-crown was Esteban Loaiza.

Also, as an aside, the special hats usually aren't offered in the low-crown version. I called New Era in '05 to ask them if they had a low-crown version of the Sox World Series hat, and they weren't offering one.

Thanks for the explanation. I just thought my head was changing over the years! :D:

I need to track down a low-crown version of the field cap. I remember my first black SOX hat when they changed to the new uniforms in the early 90s. It was a low crown version and fit great! I literally wore it out.

I bought the new synthetic version and it had the higher crown. It fits like crap and I look like a train conductor when I wear it. It now sits in the back window of my car. I also prefer the gray underbill vs. the black underbill, however I guess the players like the black underbill to help reduce glare. Something I always found funny because I remember when they switched from the green underbill to the gray underbill back in the early 80s because players felt the lighter color enhanced their view. :scratch:

skottyj242
07-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I bought the new synthetic version and it had the higher crown. It fits like crap and I look like a train conductor when I wear it. It now sits in the back window of my car. I also prefer the gray underbill vs. the black underbill, however I guess the players like the black underbill to help reduce glare. Something I always found funny because I remember when they switched from the green underbill to the gray underbill back in the early 80s because players felt the lighter color enhanced their view. :scratch:

I can't wear a hat with the gray underbill now. I put on a Dodgers hat the other day and I couldn't get used to it.

Uncle_Patrick
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Wow, I've found that the 5950s fit my head that best. Must be because it's so big. I bought the stars and stripes hat at the game on the 6th and it fits great! The only hat I have that fits better is my regular Sox cap (also a 5950) which I seem to have misplaced.

skottyj242
07-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow, I've found that the 5950s fit my head that best. Must be because it's so big. I bought the stars and stripes hat at the game on the 6th and it fits great! The only hat I have that fits better is my regular Sox cap (also a 5950) which I seem to have misplaced.

I love the 5950's as well. I think they fit my head great. I have about 25 or so of them.

beasly213
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm a big fan of American Needle brand Caps. I have a 1959 one and it fits great. Much better than the 5950 brand.

I also love the Twins Enterprise caps for something to just throw on and have it be comfortable.

Uncle_Patrick
07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm a big fan of American Needle brand Caps. I have a 1959 one and it fits great. Much better than the 5950 brand.

I also love the Twins Enterprise caps for something to just throw on and have it be comfortable.

I hate the pre-curved bills on the American Needle caps.

Brian26
07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.neweracap.com/eshophtml/eshop/searchResults.cfm

If you search for White Sox, you'll see the regular 59/50 and the low-crown (both $32). I've never ordered from New Era, so I don't know what their customer service is like.

Red Barchetta
07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.neweracap.com/eshophtml/eshop/searchResults.cfm

If you search for White Sox, you'll see the regular 59/50 and the low-crown (both $32). I've never ordered from New Era, so I don't know what their customer service is like.

I plan to order the SOX low-crown field hat directly with New Era so I will post back based on my experience.

Thome25
07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I still think that Indians cap is so wrong.

I understand that symbolically speaking that the image of a native american with stars and stripes all over his face looks bad but, it's a pretty damn good looking cap if you ask me!! :D:

Red Barchetta
07-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I understand that symbolically speaking that the image of a native american with stars and stripes all over his face looks bad but, it's a pretty damn good looking cap if you ask me!! :D:

With all the political correctness in our society today, I am really surprised the Indians still use that logo. Look at all the drama the Illini went through and I think their logo was a lot more respectful. Although I think the issue at U of I was more in relation to the half-time performances.

I remember when Bill Clinton threw out the first pitch at Jacob's Field. He made sure to where the old "C" Indians cap. :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
07-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Gotta go low-crown version to avoid the Elmer Fudd factor.

skottyj242
07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Gotta go low-crown version to avoid the Elmer Fudd factor.

I guess I have a huge head then.

KenBerryGrab
07-08-2008, 11:04 AM

My brother does, too. He needs the large-melon version.

Thome25
07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
My brother does, too. He needs the large-melon version.

I have a huge head too. I wear a 7 5/8 how about you?

Uncle_Patrick
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I have a huge head too. I wear a 7 5/8 how about you?

I also wear a 7 5/8, so the low crown is a no-go for me.

skottyj242
07-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I wear 7 3/8 and it's somewhat a slight big on me.

BlackHat91
07-09-2008, 01:15 AM
I also wear a 7 5/8, so the low crown is a no-go for me.

Psssht. I wear a 7 3/4 and it's somewhat tight. I wore a 7 3/8 in 6th grade, so maybe my head just keeps growing.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Psssht. I wear a 7 3/4 and it's somewhat tight. I wore a 7 3/8 in 6th grade, so maybe my head just keeps growing.I worked with a guy who wore an 8 1/4. :o:

whitesox901
07-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I worked with a guy who wore an 8 1/4. :o:

Placido Polanco!?!?!? :tongue:

Bucky F. Dent
07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I wear a 7 3/8 and yeah the 5950 does have sort of a high crown.:dunce: The New Era Cooperstown caps, on the other hand, look great.:tiphat:

bruno1445
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
You can get the Sox Low Crown 59Fifty for $21.74 at this site: http://www.minorleagues.com/LC94305.html

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
You can get the Sox Low Crown 59Fifty for $21.74 at this site: http://www.minorleagues.com/LC94305.html

That's the old wool ones though. Welcome to 2006:Population you. :D:

Gammons Peter
07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
That's the old wool ones though. Welcome to 2006:Population you. :D:

I think I prefer the old wool ones. Whats the general consensus?

Uncle_Patrick
07-11-2008, 09:28 AM

I like the newer ones. I bought one when the new style came out and it is the best fitting cap I've ever had.

skottyj242
07-11-2008, 10:15 AM

I think the new ones are way better.