PDA

View Full Version : All-star Selection Show is at 1:00 CT

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Just mentioning this now, since in the past it's been further into the afternoon.

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:05 PM
AL Starters:

C: Mauer
1B: Youkilis
2B: Pedroia
SS: Jeter
3B: A-Rod
OF: Hamilton
OF: Manny
OF: Ichiro
DH: Ortiz (will be replaced due to injury)

jabrch
07-06-2008, 02:08 PM
AL Starters:

C: Mauer
1: Youkilis
2: Pedroia
SS: Jeter
3: A-Rod
OF: Hamilton
OF: Manny
OF: Ichiro
DH: Ortiz (will be replaced due to injury)

I'm glad Hamilton got the recognition he deserves. I've seen worse selections than Ichiro and Jeter. But I have certainly seen better.

What a down year for 1B...

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 02:13 PM
They need to take the selection out of the fans hands. I know its a game for them, but if they are going to have the game have the meaning it does, they can't let it keep going like this. Pedroia over Kinsler? Manny over Q? Youklis over Mourneau? Ortiz ? Come on.

I know Q didn't make it because he wasn't on the ballot, but this is the crap I am talking about. They don't even do due diligence to get the ballots right.

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I know Q didn't make it because he wasn't on the ballot, but this is the crap I am talking about. They don't even do due diligence to get the ballots right.
Doesn't the manager have to give a starting nine at the start of the season? Blame Ozzie.

TCQ will almost certinally make it on from the player's vote. And that's why I'm fine with the selection process, since you get the fans involved, the players have their voices be heard, and the managers get a say as well.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2008, 02:17 PM
They need to take the selection out of the fans hands. I know its a game for them, but if they are going to have the game have the meaning it does, they can't let it keep going like this. Pedroia over Kinsler? Manny over Q? Youklis over Mourneau? Ortiz ? Come on.

I completely agree. It's not right that starters for this game are determined largely by people who know little about baseball, beyond having an awareness of the Yankees or Red Sox. If I were a member of a contending team, I would be extremely upset knowing that players having mediocre seasons are deciding whether my team could potentially have home-field advantage in the World Series.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 02:19 PM

I still can't believe Fukudome and Soriano are actually going to make it. I mean 1 is injured and 1 is having a mediocre season, a good rookie season, but in no way an All-Star season. The Ortiz one pisses me off as even Red Sox fans have to know he's injured right?

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
C: Soto
1B: Berkman
2B: Utley
SS: Ramirez
3B: Jones
OF: Braun
OF: Soriano (Probably will be replaced due to injury)
OF: Fukudome

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I still can't believe Fukudome and Soriano are actually going to make it. I mean 1 is injured and 1 is having a mediocre season, a good rookie season, but in no way an All-Star season. The Ortiz one pisses me off as even Red Sox fans have to know he's injured right?
Why stop voting due to injury, if he's going to be replaced anyway? You might as well keep voting.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 02:24 PM
With exception to Fukudome and Soriano, The fans made a much better NL Allstar team. Pretty much everyone with exception to those 2 deserves to be starting in New York.

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:27 PM
With exception to Fukudome and Soriano, The fans made a much better NL Allstar team. Pretty much everyone with exception to those 2 deserves to be starting in New York.

Agreed. Seems to be a lot less of a popularity contest.

TheOldRoman
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Doesn't the manager have to give a starting nine at the start of the season? Blame Ozzie.I don't think so, I think they just guess who will be starting. Besides, if we want to go down that road, it was an open competition, Quentin was not health, etc.

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:34 PM
NL Pitchers:

By Hurdle:
Cook
Lincecum
Haren
Sheets
Zambrano
Webb

By Players:
Dempster
Wilson
Volquez
Wood
Lidge
Wagner

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't think so, I think they just guess who will be starting. Besides, if we want to go down that road, it was an open competition, Quentin was not health, etc.
Well TCQ was not going to be in the every day lineup when the AS lineups had to be submitted, so that's the reason.

Pierzynski is on the final vote.

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
NL Reserves:

McCann (By Hurdle)
Ramirez
Holliday
Uggla
Tejada
Martin
Mclouth
Pujols (By Hurdle)
Ludwick
Gonzalez
Guzman (By Hurdle)

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Well TCQ was not going to be in the every day lineup when the AS lineups had to be submitted, so that's the reason.

No, it's Dye who is on the final vote.

Dye with Giambi, Guillen, Longoria, and Roberts.

Kogs35
07-06-2008, 02:41 PM

according to the mlb.com widget JD is on the final vote ballot

07-06-2008, 02:41 PM
What the hell is wrong with the TBS broadcast?? It's 2008 people.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 02:42 PM
The NL lineup is SICK.

It's like watching RealPlayer

SoxNation05
07-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Is there an order of the process of the selections?

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:43 PM

You mean the fact that it looks like it's coming in at 200 megabytes per second? :tongue:

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I personally am loving the NL team being an AL fan.

A bunch of undeserving Cubs (Soto is good, but how Mccan didnt make it is beyond me) and a bunch of guys who feast off weaker pitching. I expect the usual route.

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Is there an order of the process of the selections?
Starting eight or nine is selected by the fans.

Reserves and pitchers are voted on by players, with a select number of top voter getters not on the team already getting selected.

Manager selects the rest in order to fill the "one-per-team" quota.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2008/fv/widget.html
I'm seeing Pierzynski on it, although looking it, I now realize it's just some past winners.

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
And the fact JD is on the final vote means he got screwed.

For all the love ESPN gives Manny, no AL OF has more homers than JD over the last 3 or 4 years IIRC.

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I personally am loving the NL team being an AL fan.

A bunch of undeserving Cubs (Soto is good, but how Mccan didnt make it is beyond me) and a bunch of guys who feast off weaker pitching. I expect the usual route.
:scratch: McCann is a reserve.

SoxNation05
07-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Starting eight or nine is selected by the fans.

Reserves and pitchers are voted on by players, with a select number of top voter getters not on the team getting selected.

Manager selects the rest in order to fill the "one-per-team" quota.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2008/fv/widget.html
I'm seeing Pierzynski on it, although looking it, I now realize it's just some past winners.
I meant is there an order they announce the lineups, pitchers and reserves.

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 02:48 PM
I meant is there an order they announce the lineups, pitchers and reserves.
Starters, pitchers, then reserves.

SoxNation05
07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Starters, pitchers, then reserves.
Thank you.

Sockinchisox
Holy ****, Crede is an All-Star.

Quentin is there as well.

Domeshot17
The Sox need to buy John Danks something nice. His team mates and manager cost him the All Star Game.

kind of funny isnt it, the ALs best pitching staff has no pitchers on the all star team.

UofCSoxFan

Word. Even make the game a true exhibition or make it count and take the voting out of the fans hands. This split down the middle is a joke.

Jeter is having a terrible year. He is not an All Star, let alone a starter. Pedroia? Youkilous starting? Come on.

The NL is just as big a joke. Fukudome is not an All Star either and he's a starting OF.

Cubs have what 8 guys? Good luck NL.

Also, what a joke the best staff in the AL (White Sox) does not have a pitcher on the staff.

Crede was a suprise, that's for sure.

ChiWhiteSox1337
Joe Crede is in! :o: Carlos Quentin is as well, but that's not really a surprise! :D:

jabrch
Crede and CQ...

Kudos to them!!!

Did we get ZERO pitchers? Or did I miss something?

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Sickening that Danks was overlooked.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm shocked no pitchers made it, to be honest.

joebro25
07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
****ing Varitek, that guy sucks, he's hitting like .215

manders_01
AL Pitchers:

By Players:
Kazmir
Sherrill
Halladay
Rivera
Papelbon

By Francona:
Duchscherer
Nathan
Soria
Lee
Rodriguez
Santana
Saunders

Reserves:

Drew
Varitek
Crede :bandance:
TCQ :bandance:
Sizemore
Guillen (By Francona)
Morneau
Bradley
Kinsler
Young
Navarro

TDog
A's radio said no Sox pitchers made it. Crede and Quentin, however, did.

I don't mind Sox pitchers getting a rest in July.

jabrch
Navarro and Varitek over AJ?

scarsofthumper
Is it just me, or do I sense that the NL could win this year?

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Sickening that Danks was overlooked.\

He is 5-4. No starter with 5 wins is going to get in. Danks has given up 8 ER in his last 6 starts and has 1 win to show for it. Ozzie pulls him after 80 pitches, his offense gives him no runs, his bullpen blows his leads, Im not saying Danks hasnt pitched deserving, but Francona and the Players have not screwed him here, his team has.

DeadMoney
07-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Varitek making it is the biggest bull**** ever.

I don't mind Floyd and Danks not making it (too much), but if anyone wants to give an argument why Varitek deserves it over AJ is ****ing crazy.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Why not Floyd?

I don't mind Floyd and Danks not making it (too much), but if anyone wants to give an argument why Varitek deserves it over AJ is ****ing crazy.

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3825996p275w.jpg

Cuz he has that on his helmet.

UofCSoxFan
Holy ****, Crede is an All-Star.

Quentin is there as well.

Crede has been snubed in years where he has deserved it while he is having a poor year defensively (by his standards) and an above average, but not great year at the plate, he gets selected. Interesting.

No Jenks sucks, but I doubt he would play any way given his injury history and I can't really argue with the guys that went instead.

Danks deserves to go...the arguement could be made for Floyd as well. Hopefully one or the other can get an injury replacement, but I bet Dice K or Beckett would go instead. Worse case, they get the day off, which isn't a bad thing.

Dye really deserved to go as well. Wouldn't mind to see him replace Ortiz.

Domeshot17

Just want to note I agree here, but as much was I wanna blame Francona for this, the AL players voted him in, not his own manager.

Navarro should be there, he has been having a great year.

manders_01
Milton Bradley to be starting DH and Francona will name the backup at a later time.

anewman35
07-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Well, they said that Varitek was a players pick. So, yes, it's BS, but it's not like Francona just picked him because was a Red Sox.

Kogs35
07-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Milton Bradley to be starting DH and Francona will name the backup at a later time.

my guess will be who ever comes i second in the fan voting for the last player on will be named the backup

manders_01
07-06-2008, 02:58 PM
So since TCQ was named a member of the reserves, does that mean he didn't win the write-in vote? Or maybe he did but the players selected him so it doesn't matter? Just curious - was hoping our push helped. :D:

pierzynski07
Well, they said that Varitek was a players pick. So, yes, it's BS, but it's not like Francona just picked him because was a Red Sox.
Take away the players vote. It's obvious they shouldn't have any input.

SoxyStu
While I feel bad for our staff that none of them made it, it's a great time for them to rest up and think bigger than the all-star game...

Crede over Lowell? Sawx fans might have a legit beef there...Even Longoria is right there.

TDog
07-06-2008, 02:59 PM

The NL has come close to winning a few times in recent years. I don't know where "the usual route" thing came from. In 2005, Gagne blew a save. Wasn't it last year that LaRussa didn't hit Puljos in a situation that could have won the game for the NL with a single?

There isn't the big difference between the two leagues that would show up in guaranteeing a lopsided win for the American League. The AL could win the game, but the NL could win the game.

DeadMoney
07-06-2008, 03:00 PM

I don't care who the hell picked him. He's hitting in the low .200's!?

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 03:00 PM
So since TCQ was named a member of the reserves, does that mean he didn't win the write-in vote? Or maybe he did but the players selected him so it doesn't matter? Just curious - was hoping our push helped. :D:
The write-in failed.

I'm sure several starters lead the player votes as well. The selections of the player vote are those with the most votes who aren't already on the team.

SoxSpeed22
07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Did anyone else's TBS feed black out before the NL final vote?

scarsofthumper
The NL has come close to winning a few times in recent years. I don't know where "the usual route" thing came from. In 2005, Gagne blew a save. Wasn't it last year that LaRussa didn't hit Puljos in a situation that could have won the game for the NL with a single?

There isn't the big difference between the two leagues that would show up in guaranteeing a lopsided win for the American League. The AL could win the game, but the NL could win the game.Yeah I think that was last year.

Usually though it's relatively close as far as rosters go, but this year it seems like the NL has a very strong roster as far as both hitting and pitching goes.

Oh and **** Jason Varitek.

anewman35

There is no "winner of the write-in vote". If the write-in had gotten more votes than one of the position players at his position, he would have started, but just being the write-in leader doesn't do anything.

UofCSoxFan
07-06-2008, 03:03 PM
The All-Star game always has been a populairty contest and AJ is not the most popluar guy outside of half of Chicago.

There are worst things in the world than having our catcher, 2 young pitchers, our ailing closer, and mid 30s RF get three days off before the final playoff push.

I want to continue to state how dumb it is that this game determines homefield advantage, especially with all the carryover elements from the exhibition (fan voting, every team gets a rep, etc...).

AL and NL teams play what 200 interleague games a year in a competitive setting? Why don't we just give homefield to the league with the best interleague record? Or give it to the team in the world series with the better interleague record, or the better overall record? Or why not just alternate like they did for years?

Ugh.

Again, all this steams from the damn tie in MIL. Who cares if an exhibition ended in a tie?

whitesoxfan
07-06-2008, 03:03 PM

I get that feeling too. I like their pitchers more than the AL's.

I figured Danks wouldn't make it because of his low win total, which is a joke in itself. But for Floyd to not make it after posting 10 wins, an ERA right around 3, and tossing two near no-hitters is a complete travesty.

manders_01
07-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Be careful if you vote multiple times for the Final Vote. When you hit vote again, it checks the receive commercial emails from MLB and Monster. You have uncheck those every time.

anewman35
07-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Take away the players vote. It's obvious they shouldn't have any input.

Nobody is ever going to be happy. People complain when fans vote in people who don't deserve it. People complain when players vote in people who don't deserve it. People complain when the manager picks too many people from his own team. How are they ever supposed to make a system that everybody is happy with?

07-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Be careful if you vote multiple times for the Final Vote. When you hit vote again, it checks the receive commercial emails from MLB and Monster. You have uncheck those every time.

That's why you don't use your real email address.

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Nobody is ever going to be happy. People complain when fans vote in people who don't deserve it. People complain when players vote in people who don't deserve it. People complain when the manager picks too many people from his own team. How are they ever supposed to make a system that everybody is happy with?
Let a computer do all the number crunching, spitting out the entire roster, BCS syle.

:o:

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Let a computer do all the number crunching, spitting out the entire roster, BCS syle.

:o:It'll spit out a bunch of Royals players.

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Think TCQ will be in the HR Derby?

manders_01
That's why you don't use your real email address.

I'd rather just uncheck a box than take the time to create a fake email account but thanks.

jabrch
I get that feeling too. I like their pitchers more than the AL's.

I figured Danks wouldn't make it because of his low win total, which is a joke in itself. But for Floyd to not make it after posting 10 wins, an ERA right around 3, and tossing two near no-hitters is a complete travesty.

Instead of 3 Angels pitchers, I think one of our guys should be there.

pierzynski07
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I'd rather just uncheck a box than take the time to create a fake email account but thanks.
:scratch: You know, you could put a fake address in there.

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 03:12 PM
If mlb can't make a more readable validation key, then **** them, I won't waste my time.

manders_01
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
:scratch: You know, you could put a fake address in there.

No I did not. I assumed it was like most of the other things you put your email address into where it validates it. Oh well.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
If mlb can't make a more readable validation key, then **** them, I won't waste my time.
There's a single line thru the numbers, i've seen alot worse than this one.

07-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Or just put a made-up address in the box...

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM

There is no write in vote, you write in a player if they aren't in a ballot to take the place of a player that is on the ballot.

Quentin would have had to received more votes than either Hamilton, Manny or Ichiro to make it as a write in.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
I still can't believe it. How the hell does Varitek make it?? ****ing BA deserves it more then him.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Obviously you haven't used RapidShare

ComiskeyBrewer
07-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I still can't believe it. How the hell does Varitek make it?? ****ing BA deserves it more then him.

Red sox nation.

joebro25
07-06-2008, 03:33 PM

I know, it's like they decided to take the worst everyday player in the league. I don't have a problem with most of the choices but that one is just so dumb. I don't think its justifiable to put him on the team just because he's the "heart and soul" of the Red Sox. I wish the players would take this a little more seriously.

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Obviously you haven't used RapidShare

Nope. Should I check it out? I honestly do have a tougher time differentiating between some of the numbers with the solo line going through. With the line in the wrong place, it's hard to identify the difference between the 7 or 1...9, 3, 8, or 0? Maybe it's tougher for me because I have color issues; I dunno.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Red sox nation.

That's the thing though, the fans didn't vote him on!! He was a players vote!

pearso66
07-06-2008, 03:39 PM
If you think those lines are hard, you should try to buy tickets for a Brewers game. It usually takes me 3-4 tries before I finally get one I can read for that.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Nope. Should I check it out? I honestly do have a tougher time differentiating between some of the numbers with the solo line going through. With the line in the wrong place, it's hard to identify the difference between the 7 or 1...9, 3, 8, or 0? Maybe it's tougher for me because I have color issues; I dunno.http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6118/newrapidsharecaptchamu5.png

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Is it possible that Ozzie told Francona that he doesn't want either Floyd or Danks going to the allstar game considering their age and this is only there 1st (Floyd) and 2nd (Danks) full seasons as a starter. And he could have his pick of the other 3 veterans, none of which have allstar like numbers. I could see Ozzie being protective of his 2 younger starters he's been so with Danks a lot of starts pulling him after the 6th.

TheOldRoman
07-06-2008, 03:46 PM

There isn't the big difference between the two leagues that would show up in guaranteeing a lopsided win for the American League. The AL could win the game, but the NL could win the game.
Gagne blew the save in 03. Of course, the Marlins danced at Yankee Stadium, so home field advantage didn't do much good that year. 2007 was the year in which LaRussa didn't use Pujols.

I agree with you somewhat about the game. Both teams are talented, obviously. The last two games have been really close. Both teams have guys who shouldn't have made the team starting, and both have MVPs on the bench. Furthermore, any team can beat any other team on any given day. I will never forget Contreras (who was still close to invincible) getting beaten by a ****ty call-up for the Royals who had an ERA of around 8 in August of 2006. Hell, even the 2003 Tigers could beat an All-Star team on any given day. The American League is much better, but that means nothing for that one game. That is why tying homefield to that game is such a joke.

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 03:47 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6118/newrapidsharecaptchamu5.png

Hahaha. Got it. Horrible.

thomas35forever
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I was very shocked to see Crede make it considering the number of errors he's made so far this season. Still, this selection is overdue for him.

Also, why doesn't the team with the best ERA in all of baseball have any pitchers going? Why Terry Francona?:angry:

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I was very shocked to see Crede make it considering the number of errors he's made so far this season. Still, this selection is overdue for him.

Also, why doesn't the team with the best ERA in all of baseball have any pitchers going? Why Terry Francona?:angry:

I seriously think it has something to do with Ozzie possibly telling Francona that Floyd and Danks weren't available. If that's the case then there really aren't too many allstar pitchers to choose from except for linebrink jenks and thornton.

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 04:37 PM

Farmer and Stone made a good point on the radio...look up how many games we've played against Boston.

thomas35forever
07-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Farmer and Stone made a good point on the radio...look up how many games we've played against Boston.
Maybe I'm missing something. I know we haven't played Boston yet, but how is this relevant?

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. I know we haven't played Boston yet, but how is this relevant?

Yeah I'm sure there are other teams that haven't played Boston yet that have allstars going.

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah I'm sure there are other teams that haven't played Boston yet that have allstars going.

Your sureness is exactly wrong. The only team Boston has yet to play of the entire AL is the Sox. Look it up.

SoxyStu
07-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Whose eyes do you trust the most?

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Your sureness is exactly wrong. The only team Boston has yet to play of the entire AL is the Sox. Look it up.

Wow really? That's strange. Oh well my bad :redface:.

PatK
07-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't get some of the selections.

It's like Francona either wants to lose the game, or give big **** you to Yankees fans by picking 7 Sox to play at Yankee Stadium.

BadBobbyJenks
07-06-2008, 08:57 PM

The NL looks like they have the more stars right now while the AL has deeper teams. I suppose this could be the year for the NL, but I would ride the AL until the NL wins.

I know it is cool to hate Boston, but Youk is having a great year. Who would you put in over him? He has one more homer than Morneu they are hitting the same, but Justin has 10+ more ribeyes.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I know it is cool to hate Boston, but Youk is having a great year. Who would you put in over him? He has one more homer than Morneu they are hitting the same, but Justin has 10+ more ribeyes.

I'm fine with Youkilis starting I had saw he was leading in votes and was upset until I looked at his stats. He's a fine allstar selection at 1st. I just can't stand the fact that once Mauer is out we could see Varitek behind the plate and I don't think that .217 avg intimidates any of the NL pitchers.

BadBobbyJenks
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm fine with Youkilis starting I had saw he was leading in votes and was upset until I looked at his stats. He's a fine allstar selection at 1st. I just can't stand the fact that once Mauer is out we could see Varitek behind the plate and I don't think that .217 avg intimidates any of the NL pitchers.

I agree, but he was a players selection right?

rookie
07-06-2008, 09:19 PM

That's because the Cubs are the only team with the media clout. And as much as we complain about how much coverage they get over us, it doesn't even compare to the coverage NY/Boston gets. Plus with Boston winning it all last year and contending this year, they are represented more than normal.