PDA

View Full Version : K.C. Road Trip?

lizard6king6
07-06-2008, 12:44 PM
My father and I are taking a road trip to K.C. to see our Sox battle the Royals this week. Im going to the Tuesday and Wednesday game. ANyone else plan on going? Also, if any of you have been there any tips about the stadium or area in general? I already bought tickets 5 rows behind Sox dugout and then behind home plate so I'm pretty pumped. ANy info would be great!

jfinsocal
07-06-2008, 01:23 PM
This is one of the nicest, if not the nicest, stadiums in the AL. Parking is easy with good freeway access too.

I haven't been there since the 1990's but back then the fans were well-behaved and mellow, the antithesis of Wrigley Field in this respect.

Have fun.

mccoydp
07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I just moved from the K.C. area a couple of weeks ago. The stadium is pretty good, and you can usually get good box seats behind home plate on the day of the game. They're still doing renovations to the stadium, so there are construction areas in the stadium footprint. Parking is abundant. Concessions are OK, but cost more than at U.S. Cellular Field.

Make sure you go check out the Power and Light District in downtown K.C. It's a covered, outside bar and club area right next to the Sprint Center Arena.

johnnyg83
07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
stadium's under renovations but the new HD scoreboard is amazing. I'll be there tuesday and thursday.

Easy to get in and out of the stadium -- doubt they'll get more than 20K during the week. Nothing near the stadium to do -- so stay off the Plaza or downtown if u can swing it.

Go to the Peanut at 50th and Main for the triple BLT with fries and the wings -- they're life changers. It's the oldest bar in the city, and it looks it ... but the food is amazing.

Power and Light district is cool -- open-air bars and restaurants. A bit too many chains -- but Chefburger is local and great and Raglan Road is an Irish pub that was built in Ireland and then shipped over. Great Guinness and live music and dancers every night.

Plaza is upscale and has a lot of good expensive chain restaurants, but with a few exceptions you can get the same thing in other cities.

BBQ is either Gates or Bryants and both are good. My favorite is Oklahoma Joe's -- which is in an old gas station in Kansas. Jackstack by the train station is good too.

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I went there last summer and saw two Sox victories during a weekend. The fans are incredibly friendly. Even after we beat them, I had some Royals fans say to me "Great game! Congrats!" The Royal Express bus takes you to the game from various spots downtown and in the Plaza neighborhood, if you're interested in paying $5 for round-trip transportation. Spend some time in the Plaza. It's a nice neighborhood that resembles downtown Naperville. It has some quality restaurants such as Jack Stack BBQ and George Brett's.

MeteorsSox4367
07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I'll be there the next trip on August 1-2. I was at Royals Stadium once back in 1993. I'm pumped to see the Sox for the first time ever on the road. A friend of mine from work is originally from KC and invited me to visit while he's back home on vacation.

I also want to see George Brett's Restaurant since he was my favorite non-Sox player as a kid. Also want to head 40 miles west of KC to Lawrence, KS to visit the home of your 2008 NCAA National Champs in men's basketball.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!!!

DumpJerry
07-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I haven't been there since the 1990's but back then the fans were well-behaved and mellow, the antithesis of Wrigley Field in this respect.

The fans are incredibly friendly. Even after we beat them, I had some Royals fans say to me "Great game! Congrats!"
Fans? Plural? We're talking the Royals here.

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I also want to see George Brett's Restaurant since he was my favorite non-Sox player as a kid. Also want to head 40 miles west of KC to Lawrence, KS to visit the home of your 2008 NCAA National Champs in men's basketball.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!!!
You won't be disappointed in going there. It's on 47th Street just west of Main, which the bus system travels on. Take a little bit of time to take in all of the stuff on the walls. The wait staff is extremely friendly. They even have live entertainment from 8 - midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

MeteorsSox4367
07-06-2008, 11:28 PM
You won't be disappointed in going there. It's on 47th Street just west of Main, which the bus system travels on. Take a little bit of time to take in all of the stuff on the walls. The wait staff is extremely friendly. They even have live entertainment from 8 - midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

chisoxfanatic: How's the food? Was Brett actually there?

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
He wasn't there the night we were there (an early July Sunday night). He apparently comes unexpectedly. The food is absolutely quality. While you're there, you must also stop by Jack Stack BBQ.

Zisk77
07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Fans were always respectful to me when I was there. I remember they Gave Baines a standing O when it was announced he just hit his 325th hr.:scratch:

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Fans were always respectful to me when I was there. I remember they Gave Baines a standing O when it was announced he just hit his 325th hr.:scratch:
I would have to say Royals fans are the most respectful I've ever encountered. On the bus ride back to the hotel both days, I saw the same locals who apparently take the Royal Flyer every single game. They were very congratulatory immediately when I got on the bus. They also were helpful in telling us about other things to do around town (we ended up spending Sunday night entirely in the Plaza).

johnnyg83
07-07-2008, 01:03 AM

i hate to say this .. but I think it's shut down ... I'll check tomorrow .. I think Brett just licensed his name. It was a a total yuppie bar BTW. Not a place you'd neccsarily associate with #5. IMO

lizard6king6
07-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Thanks for everyhting, loking forward to it!

Sarah
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I was thinking of going down for a game or two this week - all this information certainly encourages that thought.

How is parking downtown if you stay out at the stadium? Expensive? Lots of it? I'll be a solo woman traveler this trip, so I tend to avoid public transportation if possible in that situation.

-Sarah-

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
How is parking downtown if you stay out at the stadium? Expensive? Lots of it? I'll be a solo woman traveler this trip, so I tend to avoid public transportation if possible in that situation.

-Sarah-
The parking situation is pretty easy. We didn't rent a car; but, I saw plenty of empty parking spaces near our hotel, and parking at Kauffman Stadium is incredibly ample (they share the lots with the Chiefs)!

The public transportation system is absolutely tame, so even if you're a woman traveling by yourself, it will be nothing to worry about. Everyone greets you on those buses, and it's incredibly cheap!

I'll add for those flying in: Take the KCI Shuttle bus from the airport to your hotel instead of taking a cab...It'll save you much! Purchase the round-trip ticket.

chisoxmike
07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Am I the only one who finds Kaufman incredibly overrated?

DumpJerry
07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who finds Kaufman incredibly overrated?
I don't know. Did you find the fans to be very nice?

chisoxmike
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't know. Did you find the fans to be very nice?

They were strange. I went there when the Sox played out there to open their road schedule in 2006. They were all going "World Champs more like World Chumps." Other gems included "The Gay Sox" and "I hate Chicago!"

Generally they were pretty soft.

I did see Brett Boone at Hooters after a game. :shrug:

DumpJerry
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
They were strange. I went there when the Sox played out there to open their road schedule in 2006. They were all going "World Champs more like World Chumps." Other gems included "The Gay Sox" and "I hate Chicago!"

Generally they were pretty soft.

I did see Brett Boone at Hooters after a game. :shrug:
But they were very nice while trashing the Sox, right? I've heard they are the Mother Theresa of baseball fans.

Clembasbal
07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
But they were very nice while trashing the Sox, right? I've heard they are the Mother Theresa of baseball fans.

Went there two weeks ago for Alex Gordon bobblehead night. The Fans were solid, they didn't really know their baseball though. The game was against the Giants and some fans said Rowand played for the Pirates, then the Cardinals, before going to SF. They said the Cardinals because "he won a championship somewhere."

Also, parking is ample...but is SUCKS!. Somehow, someway, do not park in the lot if there is going to be more than 20,000 fans. It took us (not lie) 50 minutes to get out of the lot and at one point I turned my engine off (price of gas) and sat in the same spot for up to 30 minutes.

The stadium is under construction so walking on the pedway is very tight, but it is a beautiful stadium none the less.

Enjoy!

Walker29
07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/about/index.htm

Oklahoma Joe's is the REAL DEAL! Their ribs, pork and sauce were my favorite. Arthur Bryant's is still #1 for down and dirty beef brisket, they give you two meals worth in your sandwich...actually its not much of a sandwich but just a hefty load of meat with sauce with 8 slices of wonder bread and some sweet pickle slices wrapped in butcher paper...bring a friend. Definately sample some of the Boulevard Brewing Company's products especially the Wheat and Lunar Ale (if you are in to beer). You should find one or both on tap in any bar you go to. The Plaza is very akin to Downtown Naperville, a really good Mexican restaraunt is Mi Cocina, food was pretty good, but the Margarita/Sangria swirl drink called The Limousine is the way to go. My wife is originally from Overland Park just outside of KC, so I've only been by the stadium but hope to get to a game one day.

tacosalbarojas
07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/about/index.htm

Oklahoma Joe's is the REAL DEAL! Their ribs, pork and sauce were my favorite. Arthur Bryant's is still #1 for down and dirty beef brisket, they give you two meals worth in your sandwich...actually its not much of a sandwich but just a hefty load of meat with sauce with 8 slices of wonder bread and some sweet pickle slices wrapped in butcher paper...bring a friend. Definately sample some of the Boulevard Brewing Company's products especially the Wheat and Lunar Ale (if you are in to beer). You should find one or both on tap in any bar you go to. The Plaza is very akin to Downtown Naperville, a really good Mexican restaraunt is Mi Cocina, food was pretty good, but the Margarita/Sangria swirl drink called The Limousine is the way to go. My wife is originally from Overland Park just outside of KC, so I've only been by the stadium but hope to get to a game one day.Agree with you on Arthur Bryant's. Really enjoyed it and the old-school feeling of the shop itself, complete with the old-time cigarette machine. Also, the Negro League Hall of Fame and jazz museum are a healthy walk away from the Bryant's that I went to. You won't be disappointed with Negro League Hall, definitely a must-stop on the KC tour IMO.

07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Agree with you on Arthur Bryant's. Really enjoyed it and the old-school feeling of the shop itself, complete with the old-time cigarette machine. Also, the Negro League Hall of Fame and jazz museum are a healthy walk away from the Bryant's that I went to. You won't be disappointed with Negro League Hall, definitely a must-stop on the KC tour IMO.

Bryant's is roughly at 12th and Brooklyn, a few blocks over from Vine St. where the Negro League Hall and the jazz places are/were.

For a taste of baseball history, go 10 blocks south on Brooklyn to 22nd St., northwest corner. You'll be at the former site of KC Municipal Stadium, home of the Kansas City A's and the Royals for the first few years of their existence.

For many years, there was no marker there. It was a community garden named Old Ballpark Gardens. Now my understanding is they're building houses or townhomes on the site and there's a marker commemorating the ballpark. Early "Gus" Wynn won his 300th, and I believe last, game at KC Municpal Stadium in 1963 and Hawk Harrelson got into the game as a young KC A's player.