PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hairston Jr

Lukin13
07-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I am looking for legitimate discussion on this guy's defensive ability.

I am not looking for a Mitchell report bitch fest.

All fantasy baseball players know that apparently Jerry plays every position except 1B and C.

All fantasy baseball players know that in his 175 or so PA this guy is hitting .340 with a dozen or so steals. If this were projected out for a full first half the guy would be an allstar.

He now leads off for the Reds.

This is not the JH JR that I remember from the Dusty days.

On paper Jerry seems to be a fantastic fit as a utility man for the WSox.

I am not ignorant enough to think that just because he has great numbers and according to fantasy baseball rules he can play anywhere.... that it really means he is going to keep this up and that he really can play anywhere.

So how good of a defensive infielder is Hairston? His BP defensive stats look fine... but inconclusive at most positions. I remember him being a poor outfielder in a Cub uniform but I can't imagine he would get any starts outside of the infield w/ the Sox.

The Reds are three weeks from being pretty much out of it if you don't believe they already are, and they have a surplus of utility guys like Hairston. I can't imagine he would cost KW much.

I cringe everytime Pablo gets a start at 3B and I am worried this might happen more often in the second half... so unless we can afford to carry both Uribe and Fields (and that is if Josh is healthy) I would like to see KW add a utility man. I come from the party that feels it was one thing when Pablo was fast and a sparkplug, I could tolerate his play in the field; but now that the guy has lost his mojo, he just isn't a major league player. When Anderson comes off the bench as a pinch runner before Ozuna, it is time for Pablo to go.

So, is old Jerry a possible replacement for Pablo or Juan? He really seems like the type of player that has a career year on a contender... and is right in the thick of things in October.

Lukin13
07-07-2008, 08:06 AM
No one here follows the Reds?

I thought a bunch of guys were watching Griffey when he was chasing 600.

PatK
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't think he's a noticeable improvement over either Juan or Pablo.

roadrunner
07-07-2008, 08:45 AM
He's been playing real well - I, for one, finally broke down and picked him up on my fantasy team. He got hurt and came back and continued to hit. He's having a career year and seems like he would be able to help any team.

kittle42
07-07-2008, 09:56 AM

Well, now that's just silly.

DumpJerry
07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
No one here follows the Reds?

I thought a bunch of guys were watching Griffey when he was chasing 600.
Why would we spend a lot of time following a team whose playoff hopes match your chances of winning the Mega Millions Lottery?

Yeah, Junior attracted attention when he was chasing 600, but it's not like the games were shown out of market for people to see the entire Reds' roster at work.

Our defense and pitching are more than good enough to get us to the Fall Classic, it's the timely hitting we need to tweak.

Lukin13
07-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Why would we spend a lot of time following a team whose playoff hopes match your chances of winning the Mega Millions Lottery?

Yeah, Junior attracted attention when he was chasing 600, but it's not like the games were shown out of market for people to see the entire Reds' roster at work.

Our defense and pitching are more than good enough to get us to the Fall Classic, it's the timely hitting we need to tweak.

I thought with all of the know it all scouts on here someone would come along and bash his infield defense.... and because that hasn't happened I imagine he is at least servicable. Unless there is room on the roster for Uribe and Fields, coupled with Josh being healthy, I would like to see KW acquire JH Jr.

Now Dump, how exactly do you get a team full of free swingers to work on "timely hitting"?

07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I thought with all of the know it all scouts on here someone would come along and bash his infield defense.... and because that hasn't happened I imagine he is at least servicable. Unless there is room on the roster for Uribe and Fields, coupled with Josh being healthy, I would like to see KW acquire JH Jr.

Now Dump, how exactly do you get a team full of free swingers to work on "timely hitting"?

Well, to be serious for a moment on Jerry Jr.

This is a guy the White Sox know really well, for obvious reasons. They've had the chance to sign him a few times and have declined, particularly when he's gone without a guaranteed contract well into January.

I've actually watched him a lot over the years and I would say his outfield defense is decidedly mediocre and his best IF position is 2B. He seems to get hurt a lot but I do like the speed he offers. While playing with the Cubs, there were whispers about his baseball smarts but then again he was on some really dysfunctional teams.

He's played a little bit of 3B, particularly with Texas, but lately he's been more of an OF than anything else.

All in all, he might be someone they'd look at if they had a pressing need but I'm not sure that need is matching up with Hairston's strengths. Hard to say.

Tragg
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
You sign somebody like him in the offseason for a million 2. He's Cintron, he's Mack...they all have their moments. Buying high is a bad idea on him.

DrCrawdad
07-08-2008, 07:03 AM

Jerry Jr. is a very good 2nd baseman. Perhaps not as strong of an arm as Uribe, but more range and apt to make acrobatic plays.

If, as it seems, Jerry Jr. is hitting well than he's a big upgrade over Uribe. Plus Jerry Jr. has become a utility player of sorts.

The Hairston's are a Sox fan family. So I know they'd be thrilled to have Jerry Jr. playing with the Sox.