PDA

View Full Version : Indians sign Jeff Weaver

JermaineDye05
07-05-2008, 11:21 PM
to a minor league deal, per BBTN. Could mean a Sabathia trade is coming soon.

eriqjaffe
07-05-2008, 11:29 PM
to a minor league deal, per BBTN. Could mean a Sabathia trade is coming soon.Maybe Weaver's their new closer.

jabrch
07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Jason Grilli should be available. Put him in a rotation with Weaver and Sowers...hoo yah!

doublem23
07-06-2008, 12:45 AM
How do you spell desperation?

J-E-F-F-W-E-A-V-E-R

JB98
07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
How do you spell desperation?

J-E-F-F-W-E-A-V-E-R

I don't know that it's desperation. I just think they need a stopgap veteran to eat innings for the rest of the year after they trade Sabathia.

I think Shapiro realizes his ballclub is done. The Indians have three months of extensive garbage time ahead. Instead of rushing some kid from the minors to the big leagues, Cleveland can just trot Weaver out there every fifth day and let him get his ass kicked.

goofymsfan
07-06-2008, 01:45 AM
I don't know that it's desperation. I just think they need a stopgap veteran to eat innings for the rest of the year after they trade Sabathia.

I think Shapiro realizes his ballclub is done. The Indians have three months of extensive garbage time ahead. Instead of rushing some kid from the minors to the big leagues, Cleveland can just trot Weaver out there every fifth day and let him get his ass kicked.

There is a reason the Brewers released him from their AAA team.....he was lit up in just about every game he was in. I don't see how he is going to be of any help to the Indians.

soltrain21
07-06-2008, 02:22 AM
There is a reason the Brewers released him from their AAA team.....he was lit up in just about every game he was in. I don't see how he is going to be of any help to the Indians.

How is it going to hurt them? They are terrible this year.

JB98
07-06-2008, 06:35 PM

You missed my point. It doesn't matter if he gets lit up every start he makes for the Indians. The idea is, they don't have any young pitchers who are ready to take Sabathia's spot in the rotation. You don't want to throw a young guy who isn't ready out there to get his ass kicked, so you throw a retread veteran out there every fifth day for the next three months and take your medicine.

Jose Lima's career was extended by two years playing that particular role for teams going nowhere.

It isn't a "desperation signing." It isn't a move to try to make a second-half push. It's roster filler for the rest of a season that has already swirled down the drain.

FedEx227
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ah yes. Yet another member of the "Hey, why play someone young and see if he's any good when you can just waste time and pay this piece of crap to suck for us."

goofymsfan
07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Ah yes. Yet another member of the "Hey, why play someone young and see if he's any good when you can just waste time and pay this piece of crap to suck for us."

Finally someone who understands why I think this was a stupid signing by the Indians. What better time to see what your young pitchers can do.

JB98
07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Finally someone who understands why I think this was a stupid signing by the Indians. What better time to see what your young pitchers can do.

I understand your point. I just disagree with it.

FedEx227
07-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I understand your point. I just disagree with it.

Jeff Weaver

2006: 8-14, 5.76 ERA, 1.51 WHIP
2007: 7-13, 6.20 ERA, 1.53 WHIP

This year he's 2-4, 6.22 ERA, 1.34 WHIP in AAA.

This is not an inning-eating situation. He is REALLY, really.... REALLY bad. There's a huge difference in getting a veteran stop-gap, I understand that idea. But Weaver? No way. Look at those ERA/WHIPs, even worse those 06 numbers came with 2 different NL teams. He's not good by any stretch of the imagination. There is no reason whatsoever, he should get playing time above a young pitcher, no way. Especially when Cleveland has a few guys like Adam Miller and David Huff.

JB98
07-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Jeff Weaver

2006: 8-14, 5.76 ERA, 1.51 WHIP
2007: 7-13, 6.20 ERA, 1.53 WHIP

This year he's 2-4, 6.22 ERA, 1.34 WHIP in AAA.

This is not an inning-eating situation. He is REALLY, really.... REALLY bad. There's a huge difference in getting a veteran stop-gap, I understand that idea. But Weaver? No way. Look at those ERA/WHIPs, even worse those 06 numbers came with 2 different NL teams. He's not good by any stretch of the imagination. There is no reason whatsoever, he should get playing time above a young pitcher, no way. Especially when Cleveland has a few guys like Adam Miller and David Huff.

There is no disputing that Weaver is horse****. No argument there at all. But if the Indians don't feel their young guys are ready, they shouldn't throw them to the wolves.

It's not that different than the situation the Sox were in last season. We were out of it, and we had people here screeching like harpies about the need to "play the kids." Well, the kids who were ready for their shot got their shot (Fields, Owens, Richar, Floyd). The ones that weren't ready stayed in the minors while Ryan Bukvich got the **** kicked out of him. That's how it goes.

Teams that are out of the race have to look at their young players on a case-by-case basis. If a young player is ready for a shot, by all means, bring him up. But if you know a kid isn't prepared mentally to handle the big leagues, you're better off letting a worthless veteran who is not part of your future get his ass kicked.

Mohoney
07-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Looks like the Indians don't want any young arms to start accumulating service time.

They didn't have another journeyman hanging around in their system?

The Immigrant
07-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Looks like the Indians don't want any young arms to start accumulating service time.

Ding ding ding...We have a winner!