PDA

View Full Version : Downey: Ramirez for ROY?

voodoochile
07-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Nice article...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080705-alexei-ramirez-white-sox-downey,1,5515356.column

Stringer
07-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I hope he gets serious consideration

I think Longoria is going to be tough to beat if that team wins the East

eriqjaffe
07-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Another successful product of the Greg Walker "I Didn't Do Anything, He Makes His Own Adjustments" School Of Hitting.

jabrch
07-06-2008, 01:37 AM
If he wins it, the Rays are in trouble because it would require Longoria to completely fall apart in the second half.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Another successful product of the Greg Walker "I Didn't Do Anything, He Makes His Own Adjustments" School Of Hitting.Why did you have to make this into another Greg Walker bashing? I don't know, and neither do you, what part (if any) Greg Walker has played in Alexei's rapid adjustment to major league hitting. Sometimes, you have to have a good student to be a good teacher.

Zisk77
07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Why did you have to make this into another Greg Walker bashing? I don't know, and neither do you, what part (if any) Greg Walker has played in Alexei's rapid adjustment to major league hitting. Sometimes, you have to have a good student to be a good teacher.

yes, but that might not fit your personal agenda.

ondafarm
07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
No matter how good a coach is, if he knows when not to mess with a guy, then he's being a smart coach. That doesn't mean he shouldn't talk to him, help prepare him for different hitters and ballparks and generally be helpful, but sometimes, if the guy is getting it, leave him alone. I don't agree with everything Walker has done as hitting coach, but he's been good with Alexei.

jabrch
07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
No matter how good a coach is, if he knows when not to mess with a guy, then he's being a smart coach. That doesn't mean he shouldn't talk to him, help prepare him for different hitters and ballparks and generally be helpful, but sometimes, if the guy is getting it, leave him alone. I don't agree with everything Walker has done as hitting coach, but he's been good with Alexei.

I don't think any of us, (even you - likely the most knowledgeable here of what a hitting coach does with a hitter in general) can say what impact/work Walk has had on Alexei, CQ, AJ or Thome, Swish, PK. None of us are close enough and see enough of their work or hear enough of their sessions to say. Evaluating a hitting coach is impossible work for a fan - because all you have to go by is results, and that doesn't measure the inputs at all.

shes
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Longoria is better across the board. Not really a contest.

Alexei has a shot at top 3 if he keeps up his high level of play, however.