PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Floyd Deals for Tenth Win; Sox Beat CorpseBeane A's 6-1

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
BA flashes some serious leather, lays down a nice sac bunt, clobbers a 2-run bomb and misses another homer by inches.

OC and Swish with good games, too.

Floyd with a great game. Could he win 20 this year?

Linebrink surrenders another ninth-inning homer, but it's harmless.

MarySwiss
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Will SOMEBODY please beat the ****ing Twins?

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM

We're just going to have to do it ourselves at the end of this month! :D:

MarySwiss
07-05-2008, 09:53 PM
We're just going to have to do it ourselves at the end of this month! :D:

All righty then! :D:

Rdy2PlayBall
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4633/whitesoxwinib1.jpg

Creede didn't seem this happy but still. :P Floyd is doing really good, he gets many runs when he needs them, and not so many when he doesn't... so all and all I just think the players on the team like this guy. :redneck Score 4 more Clevland!

eastchicagosoxfan
Another win, and it keeps the Twinkies at bay. Just continue to take care of business.:bandance::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
They have to go to Boston next. Don't worry.

It's great to see BA have a quality outing again. I give major props to JD for that ballsy attempt at making a highlight-reel catch diving into the stands. He gets an A for effort, and that runner didn't score anyways. Nice going, Gavin!

kitekrazy
07-05-2008, 09:56 PM

The Sox will at the end of the month.

Corlose 15
07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I recall seeing posts on this message board, I don't remember by who, that it would be a miracle for Floyd to win 10 games all year.

He's won 10 before the All-Star break. And he's still got another start before the break.

Gavin Floyd throws 7.1 shutout innings in a pretty big start, and Ramirez has 3 hits. Is it possible that KW knows what he's doing? :smile:

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
BA didn't get one, but TWO shaving cream pies in his face courtesy of Dye and Thome.

Tragg
07-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Floyd making a strong case for the all star team. 10 wins, solid ERA, solid WHIP.
Nice game by BA

Cuck the Fubs
07-05-2008, 10:00 PM
BA didn't get one, but TWO shaving cream pies in his face courtesy of Dye and Thome.

That was a riot, then of course he was nice enough to share with the blondie:tongue:

Nothing like a bear hug mixed with shaving cream!

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
We need a strong game by Danks tomorrow. I had a feeling we'd get to this Smith kid tonight.

I really thought the Indians might have been able to win tonight. Oh, well. Cleveland fans must be dispondent.

PeteWard
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM

Unfortunately they are home against Cleveland....so:(:. I think Boston will bounce them around next week and Detroit after that.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Anyone hear about Jenks getting an MRI and a CT? espn.com has it on the front page.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3474790

kitekrazy
07-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I recall seeing posts on this message board, I don't remember by who, that it would be a miracle for Floyd to win 10 games all year.

He's won 10 before the All-Star break. And he's still got another start before the break.

Gavin Floyd throws 7.1 shutout innings in a pretty big start, and Ramirez has 3 hits. Is it possible that KW knows what he's doing? :smile:

In the same respect we shouldn't crown him as Cy Young either. Let's see how he does next year when the league is more familiar with him.

It's a shame tho the pitching staff has to deal with spotty hitting.

spongyfungy
07-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Another move by Kenny that's biting us in the butt.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Ranger's going to go off.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Anyone hear about Jenks getting an MRI and a CT? espn.com has it on the front page.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3474790
If you're not already, tune in to White Sox Postgame on CSN. They said that, after the break, they'll have more information on Jenks' condition.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Both George the caller and Ranger are correct. The 2005 Sox hit a lot of homers and they also were able to win by manufacturing runs, stealing bases, etc. when the homers were not flying.

TDog
07-05-2008, 10:10 PM

The Twins are at home against a demoralized team. They'll have to play a lot of road games before it's over.

Floyd pitched a great game. Having a lead, even a tiny lead for much of the game, helped. The A's have a good team. Danks needs to come up big Sunday.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:14 PM
The Twins are at home against a demoralized team. They'll have to play a lot of road games before it's over.

Floyd pitched a great game. Having a lead, even a tiny lead for much of the game, helped. The A's have a good team. Danks needs to come up big Sunday.

And we have to take care of KC and Texas this coming week.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:15 PM
If you're not already, tune in to White Sox Postgame on CSN. They said that, after the break, they'll have more information on Jenks' condition.

Thanks. I have it on mute. I was mesmerized by George and Ranger :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:16 PM

After this weekend, the Twins will have played 50 home games and 38 road games. That means that after this weekend, they have 31 home games and 43 road games remaining.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey! Its our 50th win!

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
SG4L,

More information on Jenks: He is expected back for the KC series next Tuesday. He's taking another day off tomorrow.

Apparently, PK's supposed to re-join the squad at the same time.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey! Its our 50th win!

The Sox are one of just six teams to have 50+ wins.

Two division leaders (Philly and Arizona) have fewer than 50 wins.

Tragg
07-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Both George the caller and Ranger are correct. The 2005 Sox hit a lot of homers and they also were able to win by manufacturing runs, stealing bases, etc. when the homers were not flying.
Are the radio post game shows available on the internet?

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:24 PM
SG4L,

More information on Jenks: He is expected back for the KC series next Tuesday. He's taking another day off tomorrow.

Apparently, PK's supposed to re-join the squad at the same time.

Cool. Thanks for the update. Bobby's been kinda scary the last few times he was out there, and I know this isn't his pitching shoulder, but maybe it was just distracting enough in his follow-through to cause his issues. At least I hope so! We need a good Bobby for the second half!

I love Linebrink, but if they're sitting on his fastball... man does it fly outta the park quickly!

TommyGavinFloyd
07-05-2008, 10:24 PM

yeah, just go to the score's website and click the little box on the left side

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 10:26 PM
After this weekend, the Twins will have played 50 home games and 38 road games. That means that after this weekend, they have 31 home games and 43 road games remaining.
The Twins have a brutal TWO-WEEK road trip coming in late August/early September that starts on the 21st of August and ends on the 4th of September! During that stretch they have:

4 in Anaheim
3 in Seattle
4 in Oakland
3 in Toronto

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Not sure. I'm listening on XM. Of course, XM cuts out from the postgame feed after about 30 minutes.

TheVulture
07-05-2008, 10:27 PM
"Sox beat Oakland to end losing skid."

Only in the world of the Trib is a team having won 8 of its last 10 on a losing skid.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:28 PM
The Twins have a brutal TWO-WEEK road trip coming in late August/early September that starts on the 21st of August and ends on the 4th of September! During that stretch they have:

4 in Anaheim
3 in Seattle
4 in Oakland
3 in Toronto

I hope this is the trip that drives a dagger into their hearts.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:29 PM

4 in Anaheim
3 in Seattle
4 in Oakland
3 in Toronto

awww, that's a shame :cool:

IIRC, we're on a trip to Boston during that time too. Baltimore too.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Sox got win #50 on August 3 last year. :o:

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I hope this is the trip that drives a dagger into their hearts.

I hope we do a little of that ourselves the end of this month

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Sox got win #50 on August 3 last year. :o:

Have you forgotten the torture that was 2007? and to think.. they had to get hot to get to 72 wins to end the season. And we are not "Sox Nation" who is this caller?

JB98
07-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Cool. Thanks for the update. Bobby's been kinda scary the last few times he was out there, and I know this isn't his pitching shoulder, but maybe it was just distracting enough in his follow-through to cause his issues. At least I hope so! We need a good Bobby for the second half!

I love Linebrink, but if they're sitting on his fastball... man does it fly outta the park quickly!

I didn't think that was a fastball that Sweeney hit out in the ninth. Looked like a splitter that didn't do much. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been a long day, and I'm tired.

At any rate, good job by Floyd tonight. It didn't seem like he had his best command, but he still put up nothing but zeroes. He has been extremely effective at home this season.

Nice to see the Sox finally score a few runs against the A's. Historically, our hitters have had trouble with the Oakland pitching staff. This was our fifth game against the A's this year, and the first time we had scored more than four runs.

Medford Bobby
07-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Have you forgotten the torture that was 2007? and to think.. they had to get hot to get to 72 wins to end the season. And we are not "Sox Nation" who is this caller?
Yea, it was good enough to get a"Triple Threads" gift certificate..."rally up Sox Nation"....:scratch:

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:39 PM
On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't care if any of the Sox are on the All-Star team? I'd rather our guys rest, especially the young guys like Danks and Floyd.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I hope we do a little of that ourselves the end of this month
I think we will! As long as there is no artificial climate control effect in key moments of each ball game. :rolleyes:
"Sox NATION"??? That caller needs to be enlightened:

:churrosarmy:

JB98
07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't care if any of the Sox are on the All-Star team? I'd rather our guys rest, especially the young guys like Danks and Floyd.

Danks and Floyd are unlikely to be chosen anyway. I won't mind if all of our pitchers get the four days of rest.

We do want the AL to win, so that we can host Game 1 of the World Series at U.S. Cellular Field.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Will they be announcing our all stars at the game tomorrow?

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Danks and Floyd are unlikely to be chosen anyway. I won't mind if all of our pitchers get the four days of rest.

We do want the AL to win, so that we can host Game 1 of the World Series at U.S. Cellular Field.

Ahhh... the memories. Yes. We want Game 1 at the Cell.

Frontman
07-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Only in the world of the Trib is a team having won 8 of its last 10 on a losing skid.

ESPN must share the same world. At least in their Sportcenter updates on the radio it was "brief two-game losing skid."

The Sox are going to be an up and down streaky team as currently constructed. That said, it makes for a fun summer. Sure, I'd love a 173-0 season including the playoffs; but the reality is teams will lose from time to time.

Amazingly, Bruce LeVine complimented the Sox during their baseball show today. He said that the Sox rotation has always had 3 solid pitchers, and that when one has struggled, another steps up and picks up the slack.

Something about a blind squirrel comes to mind, but I digress.

Floyd was pitching solid today. He stepped up after Mark struggled yesterday (which Mark deserves a mulligan, as his last 5 starts were incredibly solid.)

Let's split the series tomorrow, and off to have some fun now.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Ahhh... the memories. Yes. We want Game 1 at the Cell.
But then we couldn't finish the series off at home when we sweep whomever is the NL opponent. :cool:

Lip Man 1
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
The tests on Jenks were all negative. Ozzie hopes to not have to use him tomorrow and expects him and Konerko to be available Tuesday in Kansas City.

Very, very solid win this evening. Floyd pitched great and what can you say about Ramirez?

He looks very confident and comfortable out there. Considering the adjustment to a new country and trying to play at this level, it's mind boggling what he has accomplished.

A split after dropping the first two would be extremely satisfying.

Melton on the postgame show said the Sox best chance against the A's tomorrow might be that they can hit more home runs. Thinks they can take advantage of any mistakes that are made.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Here are our remaining trips:

3 at KC, 3 at TEX
3 at DET, 4 at MIN, 3 at KC
3 at OAK
3 at BAL (plus the completion of the home game), 3 at BOS, 3 at CLE
4 at NY, 3 at KC, 3 at MIN

Pros: No games on turf other than those against MIN; only one West Coast trip; no trips to Toronto; nine of the road games are at KC; only 38 total road games (plus the unfinished BAL game).
Cons: Have to visit Boston and New York, have to visit Minny twice.

Here are the Twins' remaining trips:

3 at BOS, 4 at DET
3 at NY, 3 at CLE
3 at SEA, 3 at KC
4 at LA, 3 at SEA, 4 at OAK, 3 at TOR
3 at BAL, 3 at CLE, 4 at TB

Pros: They are accustomed to turf and shouldn't have as much trouble adjusting in Toronto and St. Pete; six games v. "soft" Seattle.
Cons: Two West Coast trips (one includes four against the Angels); also have to visit Boston and New York; only one more trip to KC; 43 total road games.

Finally, we have a total of 15 more games remaining with the Royals. They have just nine more with the Royals.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Frater:

When is that series at Tampa?

The timing could be extremely important. For example if it is say, the final week, it's possible the Rays might have already locked up a post season spot and will be resting their regulars or not have the same intensity.

The Twins meanwhile could still be in a dogfight for their lives.

Lip

cheezheadsoxfan
07-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Some fool on post game just called Konerko a "fluke".:rolleyes:

JB98
07-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Was it Frater? :D:

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Frater:

When is that series at Tampa?

The timing could be extremely important. For example if it is say, the final week, it's possible the Rays might have already locked up a post season spot and will be resting their regulars or not have the same intensity.

The Twins meanwhile could still be in a dogfight for their lives.

Lip

The Twins visit St. Pete Sept. 18-21. I do not think the Rays will have locked up the division by then.

They would have to be up by at least eight games to lock up the division (or the Wild Card) on Sept. 21. I don't see Boston falling that far behind them.

Therefore, if the Rays are still in it, I expect the Rays to be playing all their regulars and playing their hearts out. Indeed, the Twins visit will be the Rays' last regular season home games.

The best news for the Rays is that after playing the Twins, they play 4 at BAL and 4 at DET, both of whom should be out of it by then.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 11:00 PM

No. It was our new baby. I'm teaching him to talk and hate Paulie at the same time. :tongue:

Seriously, I didn't hear the call. XM typically cuts away from the postgame show after 30 or 40 minutes, so I missed it.

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
well...I wasn't listening as I am in Wisconsin right now, but I would think his hitting .222 or so is the "fluke."

cheezheadsoxfan
07-05-2008, 11:04 PM

LOL. Poor Rongey spent the whole show defending Paulie and Thome. Seems to happen whenever BA has a good game. I'm an FOBA but let's be real.

Tragg
07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Here are our remaining trips:

3 at KC, 3 at TEX
3 at DET, 4 at MIN, 3 at KC
3 at OAK
3 at BAL (plus the completion of the home game), 3 at BOS, 3 at CLE
4 at NY, 3 at KC, 3 at MIN
One thing I noticed when looking at the schedule earlier in the season, we've got a lot of those 3 team road trips. 3 of those in the 2nd half is a lot. Those get tiring.

voodoochile
07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Another nice performance from Floyd and some good offense all around. Nice to see another timely HR from BA. Solid all around offensive game for the number of base runners we had.

And for the 40th game in a row (or however long it's been since he started starting) kudos to Alexei Ramirez. 4 years and $4M for this kind of performance is simply mind boggling.

:winner

:supernana:

:)

JB98
07-05-2008, 11:23 PM
LOL. Poor Rongey spent the whole show defending Paulie and Thome. Seems to happen whenever BA has a good game. I'm an FOBA but let's be real.

For some reason, Sox fans don't like sluggers. I've felt that way for a long time, not just this year. People almost act as if hitting home runs is a bad thing. To win in the American League, you need some guys in the middle of the order who can thump.

Thome didn't do anything tonight against a tough lefty, but he's been A LOT better the last four or five weeks. His first two months were so rough, that I think a lot of people just decided he was done. They don't want to give him or Paulie a chance to turn it around. That's a shame. Those two deserve better from the fans, especially Konerko.

Yeah, Thome's only hitting .228 or whatever, but at one point, he was in the .190s. It might take the rest of the season for him to return to where he should be. He'll get there, but no one has any patience for anything anymore.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 11:32 PM
For some reason, Sox fans don't like sluggers. I've felt that way for a long time, not just this year. People almost act as if hitting home runs is a bad thing. To win in the American League, you need some guys in the middle of the order who can thump.

JB, I know you know your Sox history, but let me float this hypothesis for everyone to chew on:

Throughout Sox history, they just have not had many sluggers. Their first World Series champs were the "Hitless Wonders." Old Comiskey really never was a home run park. When New Comiskey was built, it was more homer-friendly than the old one, but not extremely so. The 1977 team really was the first Sox team to rely on power, and the 83 Sox had power to go along with their speed. The 1990 Sox had very little power, and during Frank Thomas' prime, the Sox biggest issue was finding a hitter to protect him (ironically it was the non-power-hitting Julio Franco who did the best job of all). Prior to 1983, power hitters in Sox history were almost as rare as good QBs are to the Bears. Power is a recent arrival to Sox organizational DNA, and so it's still something of a novelty and something that isn't embraced or trusted by all.

southside rocks
07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
They have to go to Boston next. Don't worry.

It's great to see BA have a quality outing again. I give major props to JD for that ballsy attempt at making a highlight-reel catch diving into the stands. He gets an A for effort, and that runner didn't score anyways. Nice going, Gavin!

What attempt -- he caught it, the batter (Suzuki) was out. The runner, Sweeney, advanced to second because Dye left the field of play. That had all of us in rows 18 and 19 of section 102 scratching our heads and trying to figure out why Sweeney trotted to second; not until I was in the car heading home did I hear Rongey explain that on the post-game. But it was a fabulous catch by JD. He's playing like he thinks he's 26 again this summer!

Beautiful night, great crowd at the Cell, spectacular fireworks, best of all a VERY good ballgame. As Hawk would say, "I'm so happy!" :tongue:

Stringer
07-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Great game all around

:bandance:

cheezheadsoxfan
07-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Thome didn't do anything tonight against a tough lefty, but he's been A LOT better the last four or five weeks. His first two months were so rough, that I think a lot of people just decided he was done. They don't want to give him or Paulie a chance to turn it around. That's a shame. Those two deserve better from the fans, especially Konerko.

Yeah, Thome's only hitting .228 or whatever, but at one point, he was in the .190s. It might take the rest of the season for him to return to where he should be. He'll get there, but no one has any patience for anything anymore.

Very true. I find it particularly puzzling with Paulie since he's been a pretty damn good ballplayer for the Sox over the years. And he's only in his early 30s.

Lot of people start yelling for "small ball like 2005" which has really become a bit of a myth. Except for Pods, we were basically a HR hitting club then with great pitching. Rongey's theory is that the national media got ahold of the "Ozzie ball" thing and Pods stealing and made it into the story.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-05-2008, 11:45 PM
JB, I know you know your Sox history, but let me float this hypothesis for everyone to chew on:

Throughout Sox history, they just have not had many sluggers. Their first World Series champs were the "Hitless Wonders." Old Comiskey really never was a home run park. When New Comiskey was built, it was more homer-friendly than the old one, but not extremely so. The 1977 team really was the first Sox team to rely on power, and the 83 Sox had power to go along with their speed. The 1990 Sox had very little power, and during Frank Thomas' prime, the Sox biggest issue was finding a hitter to protect him (ironically it was the non-power-hitting Julio Franco who did the best job of all). Prior to 1983, power hitters in Sox history were almost as rare as good QBs are to the Bears. Power is a recent arrival to Sox organizational DNA, and so it's still something of a novelty and something that isn't embraced or trusted by all.

Good point. I've been a fan since '59 when it was all speed, pitching and scratching out a few runs. I'll admit that the Sox as a power team took a little getting used to for me. Now I'm pretty comfortable with it except when they are so intent on swinging for the fences that they leave the bases full when punching a single thru would have done the job.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Cheeze:

Not true at all.

The Sox hit over 200 home runs...yes.

AND they were also in the top four in the league in the following categories in 2005:

1. Stolen Bases
2. Infield hits
3. Sacrifice Flys
4. Sacrifice Bunts

"Ozzieball" wasn't a myth...it was reality. All those one run wins in 2005 didn't come from the home run remember. That club had a BALANCED systematic approach towards hitting, they could beat you in a number of ways.

JB:

I'm only speaking for myself but to me having a lineup 3 through 7 of guys like A.J., Dye, Konerko, Swisher and Crede (or Fields) should be MORE then enough "pop" in the A.L. Having two guys who can run and two guys who can handle a bat should increase the chances of the middle of the order to drive in runs, not lessen it. Pitchers can't just throw sliders off the plate or curves in the dirt with guys who can steal. Do that and they wind up at second or third base in a hurry. More fastballs mean less for the middle of the order to have to worry about.

Again just my opinion, that's the plan Kenny needs to execute for next season.

Lip

cheezheadsoxfan
07-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Cheeze:

Not true at all.

AND they were also in the top four in the league in the following categories in 2005:

1. Stolen Bases
2. Infield hits
3. Sacrifice Flys
4. Sacrifice Bunts

"Ozzieball" wasn't a myth...it was reality. All those one run wins in 2005 didn't come from the home run remember. That club had a BALANCED systematic approach towards hitting, they could beat you in a number of ways.

Lip

Lip,

Point taken and "balanced" is the operative word here and the sac flys, bunts and infield hits were crucial. The failure to do that this year has hurt us.
I've just sometimes picked up a vibe from fans & media that the 2005 team was of the hitless wonder variety which isn't true either.

kevingrt
07-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Cheeze:

Not true at all.

1. Stolen Bases
2. Infield hits
3. Sacrifice Flys
4. Sacrifice Bunts

Lip

I agree that "Ozzieball" was for real in 2005. But I still think the media took it out of whack sometimes and blew it up a bit too much when they continually talked about it and how it won the Sox games. It definitely helped but as you said with this 3-7 in the line-up Ozzieball isn't as readily available. People forget about guys like Carl Everett and Tadahito Iguic and how special/important they were to that 2005 team. But regardless of Ozzie or not we should still easily be able to score runs with this line-up.

voodoochile
07-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah all those great Ozzieball moments in the WS like Pods hitting his first HR of the year or Geoff Blum jacking one into the seats. Yeah, that 3-run bomb by PK to salt away the Red Sox... Great Ozzieball moments every single one of them...:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and the Sox slugged .476 as a team for the playoffs and .487 as a team in the WS that year. When the chips were down and they went 16-1 to seal the division and then stomp through the playoffs, ozzieball was a moot point...

SoxGirl4Life
07-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah all those great Ozzieball moments in the WS like Pods hitting his first HR of the year or Geoff Blum jacking one into the seats. Yeah, that 3-run bomb by PK to salt away the Red Sox... Great Ozzieball moments every single one of them...:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and the Sox slugged .476 as a team for the playoffs and .487 as a team in the WS that year. When the chips were down and they went 16-1 to seal the division and then stomp through the playoffs, ozzieball was a moot point...

You forgot Paulie's slam! :o:

doublem23
07-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Nice to see the Sox put some nice swings on a young lefty they haven't seen to much who prominently features slow and breaking stuff.

PeteWard
07-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Rodney coughs it up!! :D:

SEA 3-Det 2 8th inning

TommyJohn
07-06-2008, 12:47 AM

I should think that it would be embraced. Lack of power cost the Sox deeply and dearly in the 50s and 60s when the Yankees were running away with everything. This is especially true of 1964 and 1967, of course.

ChiSoxGirl
07-06-2008, 12:53 AM
I was there both last night and tonight... talk about complete opposites as far as games go! Last night's game was almost boring for me, and it takes a lot for me to say that about a Sox game (or any baseball game for that matter). Tonight was completely different- Floyd was dealing from the very beginning and he continued fooling A's hitters all night. The offense also made an appearance tonight, unlike last night. Though home runs played a part in how the Sox scored, it was nice to see Cabrera come through with that two-run double in the sixth to plate the guys without the aid of the long ball. Let's get the split tomorrow!

I also managed to meet a new WSIer tonight- sox1970- thanks to alohafri (all the way in Las Vegas). It was nice to meet you, Ron! Hope to see you at the ballpark again this season.

By the way, the calls into Rongey's show tonight were epic.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-06-2008, 12:59 AM

SEA 3-Det 2 8th inning

Way to hold 'em Mariners !:D:

doublem23
07-06-2008, 01:01 AM

SEA 3-Det 2 8th inning

There's only one team in the division worth worrying about this season:

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0016/5261/minnesota.twins_article.jpg

PeteWard
07-06-2008, 01:03 AM
A nice little slide here by Detroit vs SEA (1 more) and Cle (3)---excluding the 4 games against minny--right before the break could be very nice.

PeteWard
07-06-2008, 01:05 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0016/5261/minnesota.twins_article.jpg
I dunno. Tell me after that 4 game set they have in DET before the break.

JB98
07-06-2008, 01:50 AM
JB:

I'm only speaking for myself but to me having a lineup 3 through 7 of guys like A.J., Dye, Konerko, Swisher and Crede (or Fields) should be MORE then enough "pop" in the A.L. Having two guys who can run and two guys who can handle a bat should increase the chances of the middle of the order to drive in runs, not lessen it. Pitchers can't just throw sliders off the plate or curves in the dirt with guys who can steal. Do that and they wind up at second or third base in a hurry. More fastballs mean less for the middle of the order to have to worry about.

Again just my opinion, that's the plan Kenny needs to execute for next season.

Lip

I don't think AJ belongs in that group. I'm thinking (and hoping) he has rediscovered himself as a .290 or .300 hitter who uses all fields this year. He isn't a masher, and last season I thought he tried to be something that he is not. If you're looking for a player who can handle the bat, look no further than AJ. I'd put Carlos Quentin in that category as well, although he has significantly more power than Pierzynski.

We don't have much speed this year, but we DO have guys hitting second and third who can handle the bat. That's one thing that is significantly different than the 2007 club, which racked up massive strikeout totals at the top of the order with Fields hitting second and Thome hitting third.

TommyJohn
07-06-2008, 02:38 AM

I dunno. Tell me after that 4 game set they have in DET before the break.

I agree with Doublem. The Minnesota Twins will just not quit. Everyone
always gives them up for dead, and they are always in it anyway. They
will be in it come September. I see the division as a dogfight between
the White Sox and Twins.

jabrch
07-06-2008, 03:39 AM
the White Sox and Twins.

I'm not saying they won't be a contender, but if they are our only contender in September, I like our chances.

kurtsimonw
07-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Great win, well worth staying up until 4:30 in the morning for! :D:

Railsplitter
07-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Back on track:bandance:

PeteWard
07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
the White Sox and Twins.

Obviously the Twins will be in this for the months to come. I just think it is foolish to count out Detroit.

ChiSox89
07-06-2008, 09:24 AM
i am just surprised how the twins keep winning after losing santana, hunter, and silva. i hope they cool off fast

Johnny Mostil
07-06-2008, 10:03 AM

The sixth paragraph of van Dyck's story this morning says without Floyd's "gem" the Sox would now be tied for first rather than a game in front. Floyd had a nice game, and deserves the other praise van Dyck gives him, but is he the only reason the Sox won 6-1?

markopat
07-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Here...here!

Isn't that the damn truth!

GREAT GAME SOX!!! Let's keep rolling!

doublem23
07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not saying they won't be a contender, but if they are our only contender in September, I like our chances.

Ugh, I would rather it be any one besides the Twins... I do not like the idea of having important late season games being played in the Metrodome.

Anybody but the Twins.

doublem23
07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Obviously the Twins will be in this for the months to come. I just think it is foolish to count out Detroit.

The Tigers ****ing suck.

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 11:35 AM
i am just surprised how the twins keep winning after losing santana, hunter, and silva. i hope they cool off fast
I think they will. Their schedule increasingly gets tougher. They've played a ton of games against teams like the Royals and weak NL competition in order to get back in the thick of things. In time, they will fall out. I think the Sox are gonna win the division by no less than four or five games.

SoxGirl4Life
07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I think they will. Their schedule increasingly gets tougher. They've played a ton of games against teams like the Royals and weak NL competition in order to get back in the thick of things. In time, they will fall out. I think the Sox are gonna win the division by no less than four or five games.

It would be better for my overall psychological well-being if its a little less dramatic. We have to take care of KC and Texas this week.

Cuck the Fubs
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
It would be better for my overall psychological well-being if its a little less dramatic. We have to take care of KC and Texas this week.

Hear hear, all we need to do is take care of our own buisness, **** the Twinkies!

ArkanSox
07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I had a full 4th, er 5th, and am happy and relieved to now find out that we won yesterday--we needed it. Way to go, Sox!

And may I add :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I hear ya. 2005 was too dramatic for me; but, then again, we did win the World Series, so the ending was much-earned.

October26
07-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Just getting a chance to post regarding this game. Great game for Floyd and a nice win for the Sox - #50 of the season!:bandance: