Sox Twins
Homers 117 59
Runs 416 423
RISP .284 .315
RISP/ 2 OUT .203 .288

C'mon Sox! I don't want the Twinkies stealing the division from us again!:mad:

TDog
07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
And yet, the Sox are a game ahead of the Twins in the standings.

While the difference in home runs indicates the Sox probably will hit more home runs than the Twins for the rest of the season. The runs are close. The averages of runners in scoring position reflect how the teams have done up to this point and don't show what the Sox and Twins will do the rest of the seaston. In the Twins' last trip into Chicago, I believe the Sox hit better with runners in scoring postiion during the season.

In the end, success isn't judeged by home runs or batting averages or ERAs. It comes down to wins and losses.

UofCSoxFan
07-05-2008, 03:52 PM
If the Twins can hit .315 all year with runners in scoringn position, more power to them. I don't see it happening. That and good starting pitching are the only thing that's keeping them in the race right now. They aren't very good defensively and they have no power. As soon as they drop off even the slightest in what they are currently doing well, they are toast.

TCentral
07-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I would say the Twins are fairly decent defensively.

Cmon Indians my gosh!!!! 5-2 and now you blow it???:angry:

Lip Man 1
07-05-2008, 09:58 PM
TC:

The Indians are imitating the 2007 Sox, they have decided to "mail in" the rest of the season. Don't count on them for any help.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Pitching is what is ultimately going to carry us into the playoffs. While Minnesota has descent pitching we have, well, REALLY good pitching. If we keep pitching this way (with at LEAST four of our five starters going, which they've done this time around) and our bullpen holds up, we'll be in the playoffs.

TCentral
07-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Pitching is what is ultimately going to carry us into the playoffs. While Minnesota has descent pitching we have, well, REALLY good pitching. If we keep pitching this way (with at LEAST four of our five starters going, which they've done this time around) and our bullpen holds up, we'll be in the playoffs.

Thats true.

However, I see most of the Twins games on TV lately here in MPLS. Their pitching was terrible early on but now the young guys seem to be figuring it out. Besides Liriano now has 2 straight AAA scoreless outings. The sox still certainly have the edge and should be able to hold on but I wouldnt expect the twins pitching to falter.

SoxFan1979
07-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Those Twinkies always find a way. WHY WHY OH WHY :angry:

I'm new here by the way. Want to say hello to you fellow Pale Hose Fans. Never knew a forum like this existed. I have finally found out why the internet is around. :D:

GO SOX!!

Ex-MtGreenwood
07-06-2008, 08:16 AM
What the Twins have accomplished so far this year is amazing considering they dumped their Cy Young pitcher (Johan Santana) and All Star Centerfielder (Torii Hunter), because they couldn't afford them. In the preseason, on paper, the Twins prospects looked bleak. But year after year, in a small market with a low payroll, they continue to persevere. They also continue to supply the Major League's with quality talent when this talent becomes too expensive for them.

By the way folks, I'm a newbie also. I'm was born & raised Mt. Greenwood but have been banished to these northern hinterlands for 20+ years. I used to be a regular in Old Comiskey, in left field drinking beer under age, bought by the buddy that could shave. The Oscar Gamble/Carlton Fisk days are fond memories.

But it's tough to live up here in the Norsk Land and not cheer on the Twinkies. I grew up hating the Cubs, detested their fans, was revolted by their Wrigley Field, and yet found myself torn by mixed loyalties in the recent two White Sox/Cubs series. This season seems to be developing with only two contenders for the division. The power of the White Sox versus Twins 'small ball'. It will be interesting and I'll try to return to these pages to give you a perspective from the North.

By the way, I'm still a Bears Fan 110%. I'll never cross over to the Purple Side.

cards press box
07-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Today's game between Minnesota and Cleveland will be the Twins' 50th home game. That leaves only 32 more in the Metrodome with 43 on the road. This Twins team, like many of their predecessors, thrives in that dome but not as well in the outdoors. This disparity, I believe, gives the Sox a slight edge.

I nonetheless think it will be a good race down the stretch. Yet, I stand by what I predicted in an earlier post (in another thread) -- if the Sox finish 1st or 2nd in the A.L. in ERA, they will be in the playoffs either as division champ or the wild card. As of today, they lead the A.L. with an ERA of 3.39. The Sox are also 4th in runs scored with 423.

By the way, I agree with Lip and while I don't expect too much help from Cleveland, the Indians do have Cliff Lee starting today. With a little luck, perhaps Lee can extend his record to a remarkable 12-1.