PDA

View Full Version : Fred Lewis steals home again

TDog
07-04-2008, 04:37 PM
For the second time this week, Fred Lewis stole home today standing up.

I really like this guy. Against the Cubs this week, he scored two runs in a Giants 2-1 win. He scored the first run on a double steal, breaking from third when Soto threw down to second. I attributed it to Soto's inexperience. Today he did the same thing against the Dodgers. He has timed the play perfectly. Today's play was identical to the play against the Cubs. Inevitably, the word will get around and he teams won't attempt to throw through on steal attempts when Lewis is on third. Maybe they will throw to third instead, trying to pick him off, but in watching the replays, Lewis doesn't seem to be breaking too soon. In both instances, Lewis gave the Giants the lead with the steal.

Lewis is a player. He has some hitting talent, as well. He hit for the cycle last year in Colorado and was a double shy of hitting for the cycle earlier this year when he took a walk in the middle of a four-run ninth-inning rally.

I'm not suggesting the Sox try to pick him up in a trade (for Juan Uribe and demand they throw in Lincicum, I can hear people say). I'm sure he isn't available in trade.

I remember when Rod Carew was setting the record for steals of home in a season. I don't remember any of them being parts of double steals. But that didn't make them any more exciting than seeing Lewis race across the plate standing up.

getonbckthr
07-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Technically that isnt a steal of home so..............

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2008, 02:45 AM
I remember when Rod Carew was setting the record for steals of home in a season. I don't remember any of them being parts of double steals. But that didn't make them any more exciting than seeing Lewis race across the plate standing up.A straight steal of home is much more exciting than a delayed double steal.

TDog
07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Technically that isnt a steal of home so..............

You're wrong. Even Greg Luzinski had what counted technically as a official steal of home for the Sox in 1984, despite his total lack of speed.

I have no idea if any of Babe Ruth's 10 steals of home came on double or triple steals. I don't know how many came on missed suicide squeeze bunt attempts. I haven't seen a lot of straight steals of home in the last four decades. I've seen more guys thrown out at the plate attempting. When Dick Allen stole home for the Sox in a 1973 game against Nolan Ryan, Ryan threw the pitch to the screen with Allen coming down the line with the bases loaded and one out. If memory serves, he went in standing up, too.

Maybe stealing home is a lost art. Maybe a straight steal of home, especially with less than two outs, isn't even smart baseball. In 1969, Rod Carew stole home seven times, including once against the White Sox, and I believe the were all straight steals of home. Pablo Ozuna stole home for the Sox a couple of years ago in a delayed steal situation, although it wasn't part of a double steal.

The Giants aren't sending the runner from first to get caught in a rundown before sending the runner from third. This is a designed play where two speedy guys steal bases in tandem and there essentially is no play at either base. I thought it was poor defense by the Cubs the first time I saw it, but the second time I saw it played out identically to the first with Gold Glover Russell Martin catching.