PDA

View Full Version : Question for VS or other would-be scouts :-)

Randar68
05-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Did anyone see Kerry Wood pitch last night?

My question/observation is this:

Kerry Wood's mechanics are now identical to the Kerry Wood of pre-Tommy John surgery. Is there any question in your minds that he will continue to have serious health issues?

His delivery is soooo violent and his arm recoil is brutal on the shoulder. The only thing I haven't seen much of is the slurve (elbow would be the issue there). However, I cannot recall a pitcher with his style of pitching not having major arm/shoulder troubles.

This is strictly analytical, what are your opinions?

Vsahajpal
05-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Did anyone see Kerry Wood pitch last night?

My question/observation is this:

Kerry Wood's mechanics are now identical to the Kerry Wood of pre-Tommy John surgery. Is there any question in your minds that he will continue to have serious health issues?

His delivery is soooo violent and his arm recoil is brutal on the shoulder. The only thing I haven't seen much of is the slurve (elbow would be the issue there). However, I cannot recall a pitcher with his style of pitching not having major arm/shoulder troubles.

This is strictly analytical, what are your opinions?

The resident mechanics expert on the Cubs board says his delivery his better. His glove hand is where it should be during release, his arm slot is consistent, but he still throws across the body (Rothschild says that he'll always be that way). They took away the slider fortunately, so I'm not all that worried. What bothers me is Baylor letting him finish the game despite an 8-0 lead...

FarWestChicago
05-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

expert on the Cubs boardIsn't that an oxymoron? :smile:

Randar68
05-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

but he still throws across the body (Rothschild says that he'll always be that way).

This is what concerns me. That almost always leads to shoulder problems. Combine that with his elbow history (and I'm far from convinced he's not going to see some sort of problem revisited there) and torque on that arm, and I'm far from convinced he isn't going to have a major blowout in the next couple of years.

Oh well, probably just my Sox-fan pessimism taking hold! LOL

Vsahajpal
05-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Isn't that an oxymoron? :smile:

not the ESPN board or the MLB board, ugh, damn Iowans

Randar, I am a bit apprehensive too, it seems bizarre that Rothschild would concede that so early. Fortunately, Wood says he's never felt better, but all it takes is one pitch sometimes. For the life of me, I hope you're premonition is wrong.