PDA

View Full Version : Alexei criticism

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
First off I want to say I love the way Alexei has played. He's showed it all to me, defense, power, clutch hitting, good instincts on the field. That's all great. I just have 1 minor criticism of the cuban missile. It doesn't really irritate me as much but I don't think too many other teams appreciate it. Alexei's plate stomping. Multiple times this year I've seen Ramirez stop at home and just stomp on it as opposed to sliding into it or just running through. I haven't really seen other players do this, except for AJ when he railroaded Barrett but that was a different case :D:. Now he doesn't do it all the time, usually when a big run scores, be it the go ahead run late in the game or the tying run like last night. Is this unethical? and could be seen as showing another team up or is it just part of the game? I know Alexei is emotional and very passionate about the game which I love, but it may just be me but it seems like he's asking for a plunking.

07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I hope he keeps stomping louder and harder as he gets better and better. Your right, he does play with a lot of passion. I like having one of those guys on our side for once.

QCIASOXFAN
07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Never noticed it. I'm just glad he crosses home plate a lot.

hi im skot
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
There's always something to complain about.

bigsoxfan420
07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I kind of like it, but I do agree that he may start to draw the ire of opposing pitchers. Did you see him round the bases after the game tieing homerun on tuesday, he was clapping and grinning from ear to ear. Some people say "act like you've done it before" and not to show your emotion. I say give the guy a break (and that may be what the league is doing right now), he just emigrated from Cuba to the U.S. (via the D.R.) and had a child, the guys has got to be feeling like a zillion bucks right now. If he continues to act this way next year (and maybe even in October :D:) he will probably see more brush backs and head hunting.

kittle42
07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
but I don't think too many other teams appreciate it. Alexei's plate stomping.

**** them.

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
First off I want to say I love the way Alexei has played. He's showed it all to me, defense, power, clutch hitting, good instincts on the field. That's all great. I just have 1 minor criticism of the cuban missile. It doesn't really irritate me as much but I don't think too many other teams appreciate it. Alexei's plate stomping. Multiple times this year I've seen Ramirez stop at home and just stomp on it as opposed to sliding into it or just running through. I haven't really seen other players do this, except for AJ when he railroaded Barrett but that was a different case :D:. Now he doesn't do it all the time, usually when a big run scores, be it the go ahead run late in the game or the tying run like last night. Is this unethical? and could be seen as showing another team up or is it just part of the game? I know Alexei is emotional and very passionate about the game which I love, but it may just be me but it seems like he's asking for a plunking.

Might this be because he missed the plate that one time and got called out on the appeal? He wants to make sure the umps see him touch the plate. I'm sure it will go away as time passes, but this is all about that one incident, I would bet.

Jaffar
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I kind of like it. I chuckled a little bit when he did it last night. At least he's not hopping up and down the first base line waiving his arms watching his HR (or double) that he just hit.

Edit: good point Voodoo, I had forgotten about that play.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Wasn't there a game where he forgot to touch the plate? Rather see him stomping it.:smile:

PolishPower83
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I LOVE IT! Especially coming from such a little guy. I can see how other teams may not find it so endearing (much how I hate cocky non-White Sox players). But the fact that Alexei plays with passion should not be a criticism.

And it will be intersting to see how he reacts if he gets plunked for it...I would love to see him charge the mound after getting nailed by Sabathia. A fight for the ages!

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Might this be because he missed the plate that one time and got called out on the appeal? He wants to make sure the umps see him touch the plate. I'm sure it will go away as time passes, but this is all about that one incident, I would bet.

No he did it once before that. I remember him doing it on BA's walk off single back in April.

October26
07-03-2008, 01:34 PM
We need to ask Pinar_del_Rio_WS, our resident "Cuban scout" whether stomping on the plate is something that Alexei did while he was in Cuba and played on the Cuban National Team?

I love the kid, and the excitement that he has brought to White Sox baseball this year. I will admit that since I am Cuban born, I am not objective about this. I don't want Alexei to change anything about his game, but I could see where this behavior might annoy other teams in the league.

TDog
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Ramirez missed home plate in a game this year in a close game. He was blocked by the catcher and may have believed he touched the plate. I have no idea what he was told by Guillen after that incident, and even if I did, I wouldn't understand it. Plate stomping may go back to that game.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I LOVE IT! Especially coming from such a little guy. I can see how other teams may not find it so endearing (much how I hate cocky non-White Sox players). But the fact that Alexei plays with passion should not be a criticism.

And it will be intersting to see how he reacts if he gets plunked for it...I would love to see him charge the mound after getting nailed by Sabathia. A fight for the ages!

Alexei will either be shattered into a million pieces by the pitch or will get annihilated by Sabathia unless he pulls a Julian Tavarez and drop kicks him lol.

07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81usn3BtKA

He has toned it down a little since this?:smile:

Edit: someone tell me how to embed youtube

beasly213
07-03-2008, 01:37 PM
So are we now just looking for things to complain about because the team is playing good?

How about TCQs bat toss? Or Swisher and OCs Captian Morgan celebration?

Geeze.

The Dude
07-03-2008, 01:39 PM

:rolleyes: Enjoy the winning streak and please don't look for things to complain about.
I agree with Voodoo, it most likely has to do with that play which they said he didn't touch the base. No he is not asking for a plunking.

The Dude
07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
So are we now just looking for things to complain about because the team is playing good?

Geeze.

People really have noticed the bat toss. One of my Cubs fan buddies hates TCQ with a passion because of the toss.

beasly213
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
People really have noticed the bat toss. One of my Cubs fan buddies hates TCQ with a passion because of the toss.

A lot of that has to do with him being on the Sox. Manny Ramierez has 10x more of a cocky attitude than TCQ after a home run. Plus I bet your buddy is ok with Fukudome's bat flip. And I bet he loved Sammys hop.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM

Geeze.

I think you're misinterperting my tone. I'm not complaining, I for one enjoy it. I'm more curious and concerned that other teams may not take it so lightly and he may get plunked. I doubt they'd do that considering Alexei's speed.

TCQ hasn't done his bat toss since that one game and it was awesome the one time I saw it lol.

The Captain Morgan pose is hilarious. I consider homerun celebrations to be ok in the dugout, on the field it's a different thing.

beasly213
07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I think you're misinterperting my tone. I'm not complaining, I for one enjoy it. I'm more curious and concerned that other teams may not take it so lightly and he may get plunked. I doubt they'd do that considering Alexei's speed.

TCQ hasn't done his bat toss since that one game and it was awesome the one time I saw it lol.

The Captain Morgan pose is hilarious. I consider homerun celebrations to be ok in the dugout, on the field it's a different thing.

:scratch: TCQ always does his bat toss.

asindc
07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
A lot of that has to do with him being on the Sox. Manny Ramierez has 10x more of a cocky attitude than TCQ after a home run. Plus I bet your buddy is ok with Fukudome's bat flip. And I bet he loved Sammys hop.

Exactly. I would guess the real reason the Cubs fan does not like TCQ is that his team also could have had him for a song. Once again, KW trumps the great Hendry.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
:scratch: TCQ always does his bat toss.

Maybe I haven't noticed it as much. then again I've only seen him pull 1 homerun for about a month at that was the one against the Cubs on Sunday. I must only think of the Oakland game because that was a hell of a toss, he must have toned it down since then.

Martinigirl
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Is this a particular trait of Sox fans? Are all fanbases like this? Because there is always complaining on this board, from my relatives, my friends. It gets to the point of ridiculousness.

We are playing amazing ball. Alexei specifically has been so above and beyond all expectations, yet there is a "but". Just appreciate what a find the man has been.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes: Enjoy the winning streak and please don't look for things to complain about.

Wow was this a bad idea. I swear people are misinterpreting the tone, for the 2nd time. I'm NOT COMPLAINING. I even stated I rather enjoy the plate stomp, I'm just CURIOUS and just inquiring what other teams might think of the plate stomp and whether or not it's unethical. I'm one of the few Sox fans here who DOESN'T complain about our team. I'm usually one of the people getting on people's asses for being a dark horse.

The Dude
07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow was this a bad idea. I swear people are misinterpreting the tone, for the 2nd time. I'm NOT COMPLAINING. I even stated I rather enjoy the plate stomp, I'm just CURIOUS and just inquiring what other teams might think of the plate stomp and whether or not it's unethical. I'm one of the few Sox fans here who DOESN'T complain about our team. I'm usually one of the people getting on people's asses for being a dark horse.

Understood. :D:

btrain929
07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
**** them.

Thank you. He has energy, excitement, and is having a ball playing in America. Viva Alexei!!!

oeo
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
**** them.

Seconded.

How is a plate stomp any different than Manny Ramirez watching every long fly ball he hits? Or Zambrano going absolutely insane over every big out?

If it pisses the other team off...good.

The Immigrant
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
**** them.

..and this thread is OVAH!

Carolina Kenny
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I think you are right on.

It's just one more thing to love about him is his natural way of making his own indentity, without pre-fabrication.

That is why he is already a sox legand and his legand is growing every day.

I hope I live long enough to see his statue on the concourse.

BadBobbyJenks
07-03-2008, 02:19 PM

No Kidding. Before I opened the thread, I was trying to figure out what on earth the criticism of Alexei could be and his plate stomping never occurred to me.

PolishPower83
07-03-2008, 02:28 PM

I'm with you Broseph.

kingpin_rcs
07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I love the type of stuff we are seeing from Swisher, AJ, Alexei and TCQ. I think it really shows that they are gelling as a team.

Plate Stomping
The "back" bump
Bat flipping
Poster high-fiving
and of course, the Captain Morgan pose (my favorite!)

But I agree with above, it belongs in the dugout not on the field (unless it's after a walk off)

doublem23
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM

A) If it bothers other teams so much, maybe they should stop letting him score so many runs.

B) If it really bothers someone that much and they drill Alexei, message sent and lesson learned. Baseball justice at its finest.

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
As a fan, I like a little flavor...but maybe other teams will not approve.
I am more concerned about Alexei's penchant for swinging at that first pitch everytime. Just concerned that his aggresiveness could work against him as the league figures him out. But I love just about everything else about him and honestly he seems to be able to adjust so well on the fly that it may not be a problem.

btrain929
07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Everytime I see Alexei do it, I think of Pedro Cerrano in Major League II:

"Look at the score....board....now.....GRASSHOPPER!"

hi im skot
07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I couldn't give a **** as to what other teams think of us. I'm fine with being the "hated White Sox"...**** 'em.

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't care if they slide into it, run over it, dive on it, kick it, stomp it, slap it, smack it, body slam it, tickle it, caress it, kiss it, lick it, tap it, tippy-toe it, moonwalk over it or do a cannonball on it. Just so long as they touch it as often as possible...

kingpin_rcs
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't care if they slide into it, run over it, dive on it, kick it, stomp it, slap it, smack it, body slam it, tickle it, caress it, kiss it, lick it, tap it, tippy-toe it, moonwalk over it or do a cannonball on it. Just so long as they touch it as often as possible...

Alexei moon-walking over home plate. This has to happen.

TDog
07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Alexei moon-walking over home plate. This has to happen.

I've heard that Jimmy Piersall once ran the bases backwards after hitting a home run. I've heard a lot of things, though.

DickAllen72
07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Good call.

thomas35forever
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
How about he does the Bunny Hop onto it?:redneck

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
How about he does the Bunny Hop onto it?:redneck

Hokie Pokie works for me, after all, that's what it's all about...

Daver
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I've heard that Jimmy Piersall once ran the bases backwards after hitting a home run. I've heard a lot of things, though.

He did do that, he got drilled in his next two appearances against that pitcher.

ArkanSox
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, White Sox go home...often...

it's baseball...I watched Alexei almost get drilled, but missed, twice last night. I also saw an inside pitch go behind his back the other day. Teams seem to imagine that they can intimidate him, but personally I don't see it happening. He has been well-seasoned in Cuba and is very savvy.

CQ is begging for chin music when he hangs out over the plate. If Walker's as good as advertised by his players, he needs to somehow convince Carlos to back off the plate a little. He's liable to get hurt badly. He's been hit too many times in his brief career. CQ tough, but baseball hard and fast, and some pitchers are wild and/or pissed off.

I hope this is on topic. :gulp:

or not :smile:

The_Sox_R_Us
07-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I see it more as a tradition they do after getting a home run, just like Nick Swisher has with his antics in the dugout or like a regular high five. Alexei just does it before he gets to the dugout. :D:

Frontman
07-04-2008, 08:21 AM
It doesn't really irritate me as much but I don't think too many other teams appreciate it. Alexei's plate stomping.

"Well, as Carl Yastrzemski would put it, Fiesty. If it bothers them that much, they should keep him off the basepaths."
:hawk

chaerulez
07-04-2008, 09:39 AM

You want to see him get his ass kicked? Because he would stand no chance against a 6'7" 300 pound guy.

PolishPower83
07-04-2008, 01:58 PM
You want to see him get his ass kicked? Because he would stand no chance against a 6'7" 300 pound guy.

Yeah, I know. I guess I should have used teal?

TheVulture
07-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Is this unethical? :rolling:

Let me check my religious texts...