PDA

View Full Version : Willis

ChiSoxFan7
07-03-2008, 12:40 PM
is there any news on him? Is he "getting better" or has his train derailed for good (:rednecki feel like an ESPN anaylist:redneck)

*and sorry if this is supposed to be in minor observations*

BigPapaPump
07-03-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Dontrelle%20Willis&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=425883

2 innings pitched in Single A.

doublem23
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Dontrelle%20Willis&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=425883

2 innings pitched in Single A.

3 BB and 0 K in those 2 innings. Wow. :o: He's resorted to pitching around A-ball guys?

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2008, 01:01 PM
So far, nothing. He walked three in two innings in his last appearance. I've always said he should do what Rick Ankiel did and try and make it as an outfielder. He hit .286 last year and can run. If you teach him the position, he would be better there, IMO.

Oblong
07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
He's really a non issue now. I don't think he's factoring into any plans the Tigers make. I'm wondering if there's other things going on with him. Someoen asked Dombrowski as the rehab plan and the quote sounded a bit curt. Something like "I don't want to discuss it. We have a plan".

I've thought all along that the Tigers had to take him in the cabrera deal and that the extension given to him was more about showing Cabrera they'd pony up the money. He had these issues last year and I'd be frightened if scouts actually recommended him.

wsf4l
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
He's done... Trade him some where for cash. He should turn into Rick Ankiel and maybe someday he'll be a power hitter.

oeo
07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
3 BB and 0 K in those 2 innings. Wow. :o: He's resorted to pitching around A-ball guys?

Not pitching around...he doesn't have any command. That's his problem.

He's done... Trade him some where for cash. He should turn into Rick Ankiel and maybe someday he'll be a power hitter.

Who is going to give them cash for him? They just signed him to an extension.

If anything, it would be the Tigers having to pay to get him off their hands.

doublem23
07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Who is going to give them cash for him? They just signed him to an extension.

If anything, it would be the Tigers having to pay to get him off their hands.

Coop will fix him.

AzureJazzMan
07-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Coop will fix him.
:rolling:

FedEx227
07-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Of course he's not pitching around to A-ball guys, his command is way off. His delivery is completely messed up and he continues to miss WAY outside to righties.

ilsox7
07-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I've thought all along that the Tigers had to take him in the cabrera deal and that the extension given to him was more about showing Cabrera they'd pony up the money. He had these issues last year and I'd be frightened if scouts actually recommended him.

KW flat-out said that the reason he couldn't get Cabrera was b/c the Marlins would not trade him without including Willis. But that doesn't excuse the idiotic contract the Tigers gave him.

ChiSoxGirl
07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I can't believe good 'ol D-Train is pitching for Lakeland! I remember being so annoyed when we lost out on the Willis/Cabrera sweepstakes at the Winter Meetings; I all but gave the Tigers the A.L. Central crown. Sometimes it's the moves you don't make that end up being the most crucial and helpful to the ball club... this is one of 'em.

FloridaTigers
07-04-2008, 03:36 AM
Doesn't help that Miguel Cabrera is more aloof and lost out there than Manny Ramirez, minus the homeruns.

Willis is done, imo, as a Tiger. I wouldn't mind doing the Rick Ankiel thing to him.

EMachine10
07-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I can't believe good 'ol D-Train is pitching for Lakeland! I remember being so annoyed when we lost out on the Willis/Cabrera sweepstakes at the Winter Meetings; I all but gave the Tigers the A.L. Central crown. Sometimes it's the moves you don't make that end up being the most crucial and helpful to the ball club... this is one of 'em.

I told all my friends at the time of the trade that Willis was no more than a flash in the pan and not as good as many make him out to be. At least I can be right once :tongue:

But really, he may be best suited for rolling the dice at the plate. He doesn't have much to lose at this point.

jabrch
07-04-2008, 10:55 AM

They would have to trade Willis and about $20mm for a bag of balls.

jabrch
07-04-2008, 11:01 AM
KW flat-out said that the reason he couldn't get Cabrera was b/c the Marlins would not trade him without including Willis. But that doesn't excuse the idiotic contract the Tigers gave him.

I was pissed we missed out on Cabrerra (even that contract may come back to haunt them), but I had no interest in Willis - and absolutely not in extending him another 25mm or so. That was a very rare mistake by a good GM, but a lot of people were pointing it out at the time.

I think Dombrowski is falling into a case of Cashman syndrome - spending stupidly because you can. I will be curious to see what he does when Ivan Rodriguez is a FA. At 13mm, offering him arbitration would mean paying him over 10mm for one year. I can't see how you do that for .283/.327/.405.

Oblong
07-04-2008, 12:49 PM
A local radio guy said if things don't work out at Lakeland they'll send him back to High School.

Oldfellah
07-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I was one who was happy not to get them, but sad to see them in the same division as us. It worked out all right for us!!!:dtroll:

TDog
07-04-2008, 02:07 PM
... I think Dombrowski is falling into a case of Cashman syndrome - spending stupidly because you can. I will be curious to see what he does when Ivan Rodriguez is a FA. At 13mm, offering him arbitration would mean paying him over 10mm for one year. I can't see how you do that for .283/.327/.405.

I was surprised the Tigers picked up his option for this year because of the money, but I was more surprised at the Cabrera and Willis signings.

Trading for Cabrera may have been a good move. Trading for Cabrera and Willis was probably not. Extending Cabrera and Willis was definitely not. Cabrera might be playing much better this year if he had not been extended. When he signed and I questioned whether he had enough incentive to be a .320 hitter for the Tigers, people flamed me. One posted that I "don't know what is in his heart." Well, neither did the people who expected him to play as he did in the National League. As for Willis, I don't think anyone thought the extension was a good move.

That is what happens to teams with money. They not only overpay for players they expect to be their stars, but they waste money on others. It is like without the demands of working within a budget, general managers don't have the discipline to be fiscally responsible.

whitesox901
07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
A local radio guy said if things don't work out at Lakeland they'll send him back to High School.

:kneeslap:

Oblong
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
The shine on Dombrowski, or DD as we call him, is taking a hit. Willis combined with Renteria. I remember when the Tigers traded for Renteria seeing a few here saying they wish Chicago could have gotten him. Be thankful you didn't. This guy's a dog. As of last week he had 3 extra base hits since April 22. And he has no range. They've actually unofficially started to platoon him with Michael Holliman who's shown some spark. I dind't like the deal when it happened but was talked into it on the basis of trading an injury prone rookie starter (Jurrjens) and an A ball toolsy OFer for an All Star SS who hits .300.

DD has always said the thing he regretted not being able to do in his career was sustain a good club. He had to tear them down in Montral and Florida. Now he's got his chance.

With Rodriguez, I was a little surprised they picked up the option on him but there really is nothing out there for a catcher. I do think they looked at what else they could do because they didn't pick it up right away.

pearso66
07-04-2008, 10:27 PM
The shine on Dombrowski, or DD as we call him, is taking a hit. Willis combined with Renteria. I remember when the Tigers traded for Renteria seeing a few here saying they wish Chicago could have gotten him. Be thankful you didn't. This guy's a dog. As of last week he had 3 extra base hits since April 22. And he has no range. They've actually unofficially started to platoon him with Michael Holliman who's shown some spark. I dind't like the deal when it happened but was talked into it on the basis of trading an injury prone rookie starter (Jurrjens) and an A ball toolsy OFer for an All Star SS who hits .300.

DD has always said the thing he regretted not being able to do in his career was sustain a good club. He had to tear them down in Montral and Florida. Now he's got his chance.

With Rodriguez, I was a little surprised they picked up the option on him but there really is nothing out there for a catcher. I do think they looked at what else they could do because they didn't pick it up right away.

It's funny you say that about Renteria. I have a friend who is a big Tigers fan, and he wasn't happy at all when they got him. He felt that the prospects they gave up were too much for a guy who's last year in the AL was horrendous. I guess he was right too.