PDA

View Full Version : Gettting Swept

ChiSoxFan7
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Since the away cubs series the whitesox have gone 8-1. Timely hitting seems like an everyday thing (AJ walk off, OC walk off, Thome's Blast, Alexie HR, etc), pitching has returned to its dominance, and the club just seems to be on the way up.

So i ask the question to the board. Do you think, as in 2005's august colapse, getting swept was a good thing for the ball club and if so, why or why not?

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:-:scratch:(must have been a mistake)

doublem23
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Considering the Twins are breathing down our necks, we could have used 1-2 of those losses at Wrigley. :(:

beasly213
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Getting Swept is never a good thing plain and simple because it means you lost 3 or 4 games in a row.

I doubt the White Sox are trying harder now or practicing harder now because they got swept by the Cubs.

The Cubs are a great team at home and tough to beat there just as the White Sox are tough to beat at home.

The baseball season has ups and downs and The weekend at Wrigley was just a down series.

balke
07-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Getting swept was bad. The reaction to being swept was good. The Sox came back firing, and rebounded nicely.

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Getting Swept is never a good thing plain and simple because it means you lost 3 or 4 games in a row.

I doubt the White Sox are trying harder now or practicing harder now because they got swept by the Cubs.

The Cubs are a great team at home and tough to beat there just as the White Sox are tough to beat at home.

The baseball season has ups and downs and The weekend at Wrigley was just a down series.

:thumbsup:

BridgePortNative
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
it wasn't like they were playing all that bad before they got swept

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
This team has a very balanced approach to winning and losing near as I can tell. They seem to shake off bad losses and sweeps as well as any team I can recall. That sweep leaving them with 9 straight road losses was the third or fourth time the season the team could have gone into a prolonged funk and ended up in serious trouble. Instead here we are 9 games later having won 8 of them.

Anyone who is expecting the Sox to fold this season needs to take a good look at the make up of the team. This is a veteran team that knows how to handle little glitches like late inning losses and the occasional sweep. They also do an excellent job of focusing on "big games" read: games against division rivals. Those attributes will serve them well as the season progresses and if you're looking for a definition of chemistry that actually means something this would be part of it.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Considering the Twins are breathing down our necks, we could have used 1-2 of those losses at Wrigley. :(:

I think having a team breathing down your neck is a good thing for a team because it keeps that fire going.

Look at the '83 Sox, they tore through the regular season and when they got to the playoffs were flat. However in '05 the Indians made it scary for the Sox and it then in turn made them wake up.

Law11
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
it wasn't like they were playing all that bad before they got swept

Exactly.. we went 5-5 the same stretch Minn went 10-0 or close to that.
Minn got hot, it happens, while they were fattening up on AZ we ran into a Cub team that wins at home. We should have gotten 1 win up there but so be it.

Its all part of the game.

doublem23
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I think having a team breathing down your neck is a good thing for a team because it keeps that fire going.

Look at the '83 Sox, they tore through the regular season and when they got to the playoffs were flat. However in '05 the Indians made it scary for the Sox and it then in turn made them wake up.

I think that's largely a myth; for every example of a team getting "pushed" to October that catches fire, there's another that does and dies. What about the 2006 Twins, who nearly won 70 of their last 100 games, including a 19-10 record in September to catch and pass the Tigers for the division title... and then promptly were swept by the A's in the ALDS?

#1swisher
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I think getting swept by Piniella, motivated Ozzie.

kingpin_rcs
07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I think that's largely a myth; for every example of a team getting "pushed" to October that catches fire, there's another that does and dies. What about the 2006 Twins, who nearly won 70 of their last 100 games, including a 19-10 record in September to catch and pass the Tigers for the division title... and then promptly were swept by the A's in the ALDS?

I think there is such a thing as a team built for the season and a team built for the playoffs. It's just a different type of game once the post season starts. Look at the 2001 Mariners for example.

However, in 2005 when the Sox swept Cleveland (who only needed one of those game to get the WC) PK said that they saw themselves in the Indians. The Indians were tight and trying not to loose. He said that it was sort of a wake up call. They loosened up (easier to do once you've already clinched) and played there best ball of the year. I seem to remember things working out pretty well from that point on.

Madscout
07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
The Twins went 18-10 (18-11 if you count the make up) in June. Let's break down those numbers.

of the 10 losses- 6 were in division and 8 were against AL teams
of the 11 losses- 7 were in division and 9 were in the AL
of the 18 wins- 13 were against NL teams and 6 of those were teams in last place with win % under .400

so really, they went 13-2 against the NL
and they went 5-8/ 5-9 aganst the AL
going 1-6/ 1-7 against AL central teams

I won't count them out as much as the next guy, but they will cool down.

oeo
07-03-2008, 12:50 PM

They may not be trying any harder, but that sweep may have been exactly what they needed to finally wake up. Every good team has a turning point in their season, and it looks like that series at Wrigley may be ours. It was a wake up call, and the Sox have responded.

wsf4l
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree, it's never good to get swept, I think they were kinda on cruise control and that sweep woke them up.

JB98
07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't think the Sox getting swept by the Cubs had any effect on the team at all. The Sox have been good at home all year, and they continue to be good at home.

I attribute this latest winning streak to playing well at home, not "waking up" after being swept at Wrigley.

SCarolina_Ron
07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I think the Tampa Bay series (Losing 3 of 4) was much more of a turning point/wake-up call. They weren't hitting a lick before then. They've for the most part hit well, pitched well and had good defense since then including the first Cubs series.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Just out of curiosity what has been our record since PK when on the DL?

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Just out of curiosity what has been our record since PK when on the DL?

10-4 but we're 31-15 since the low water mark of the season at 18-20 on May 13th.

chisoxfanatic
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Exactly.. we went 5-5 the same stretch Minn went 10-0 or close to that.
Minn got hot, it happens, while they were fattening up on AZ we ran into a Cub team that wins at home. We should have gotten 1 win up there but so be it.

Its all part of the game.
I find this situation similar to the second half of 2005. In that year, pretty much everyone who wasn't a Sox fan were under the impression that it was moreso the Sox sucking and "choking" than anything else. They failed to admit that, while the Sox were still playing decently (although not at the same hot pace that got them their huge lead), Cleveland was just kicking ass and got themselves back in the race. Fast forward to this season, what got Minnesota back to a reasonable deficit has nothing to do with the Sox sucking, but more to do with Minnesota playing at an unbelievable pace.

I think too many people on this team have serious playoff/World Series experience to need a sweep to kick them in the ass and get them going again. These guys KNOW what it takes, and they are responding by winning the games they SHOULD win.