PDA

View Full Version : D.J. / The Next Singleton?

Lip Man 1
07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Maybe Hawk and Steve next season in the TV booth:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080702-darrin-jackson-steve-stone-chicago,1,7145594.story

Lip

ilsox7
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Maybe Hawk and Steve next season in the TV booth:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080702-darrin-jackson-steve-stone-chicago,1,7145594.story

Lip

Getting rid of DJ would be a phenomenal move. If Hawk's ego could put up with Stone, they would be an above average broadcast team.

Gavin
07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I dislike very little about Hawk but I feel like this absolutely the wrong unit of the pair to take out of the booth...

It's Dankerific
07-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm surprised. The Sox seem to take care of their loyal employees, even if its best for the team to get Stone up there, I'd think they could assure him he won't be left out to dry.

Gavin
07-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm surprised. The Sox seem to take care of their loyal employees, even if its best for the team to get Stone up there, I'd think they could assure him he won't be left out to dry.

The article mentions that they could slide him into the radio spot filled by Stone right now. Which is essentially a demotion, but I suppose business is business.

Sloppy unimpressive management, though.

ilsox7
07-02-2008, 11:51 PM

How so?

scarsofthumper
07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I think a Hawk/Stone announce team could be tolerable. I enjoy Steve Stone.

peeonwrigley
07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
The article mentions that they could slide him into the radio spot filled by Stone right now. Which is essentially a demotion, but I suppose business is business.

Improving the final product, especially in entertainment, is solid management.

DJ is a solid color man, but he's no Steve Stone. I think he'd readily admit that. I'm sure he'll be given the choice to stick with the club on the radio, but he also might have better opportunities out there. He does very well on the national broadcasts for Fox.

Gavin
07-02-2008, 11:53 PM
How so?

Do a good job and be demoted.

We'll be hush hush between those two.

Great management. Where do I apply?

ilsox7
07-02-2008, 11:54 PM

DJ is awful. He should have been gone years ago. Getting rid of him would be great. I'll pack his bags for him.

spongyfungy
07-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I think a Hawk/Stone announce team could be tolerable. I enjoy Steve Stone.

Is there enough space in the booth for their egos? I think they will clash and just leave the audience uncomfortable. Hawk and Stone are both stubborn and they will speak their mind even if one contradicts the other in terms of baseball rules, philosophies, strategies etc.

I just don't want to be uncomfortable while listening to the game.

slavko
07-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Is there enough space in the booth for their egos? I think they will clash and just leave the audience uncomfortable. Hawk and Stone are both stubborn and they will speak their mind even if one contradicts the other in terms of baseball rules, philosophies, strategies etc.

I just don't want to be uncomfortable while listening to the game.

And this is bad exactly how????? Do you like the second banana saying nothing more than "That's right, Harry (or Jack or whatever)?" The part about clashing egos was predicted by many for the current radio pairing, but has never happened because they respect each other. I think the same thing would happen with Hawk and Steve.

Having said all that, DJ has improved and I would like to see him retained, but he's a bumbler compared to Stone.

soxfanreggie
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
I would love Stone on tv. Farmer's voice gives me headaches, but I love listening to Stone. Would love to be able to hear him and not need an aspirin after the game.

thomas35forever
07-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Stone is great on both radio and TV. Is it possible for him to improve Hawk's PBP or is this one of those "old dog new tricks" situations? Anyway, I wouldn't mind this move at all. Also, where the hell was DJ during the '05 postseason?:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I would love Stone on tv. Farmer's voice gives me headaches, but I love listening to Stone. Would love to be able to hear him and not need an aspirin after the game.Seriously? I mean, Stone is vastly better as an analyst and broadcaster, but their voices? Stone has a nasal whine, while Farmer has a regular, unremarkable voice.

DSpivack
07-03-2008, 12:43 AM
For some reason I thought Hawk and Stone didn't get along.

FedEx227
07-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Getting rid of DJ would be a phenomenal move. If Hawk's ego could put up with Stone, they would be an above average broadcast team.

That's the big point there.

Mohoney
07-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Why can't they dump Hawk instead and have DJ do play-by-play with Stone doing color? On a few of the broadcasts he did for Fox when he wasn't with Hawk, DJ was a lot better than he usually is.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Why can't they dump Hawk instead and have DJ do play-by-play with Stone doing color? Hawk will do White Sox baseball as long as Hawk wants to do White Sox baseball. Accept it, and your life will be much happier.

grv1974
07-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Why can't they dump Hawk instead and have DJ do play-by-play with Stone doing color? On a few of the broadcasts he did for Fox when he wasn't with Hawk, DJ was a lot better than he usually is.

D.J. is definitely more relaxed when Hawk isn't there.

doublem23
07-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Argh, just when the Sox found a good radio pair, they have to go muck it all up.

Stone/Farmer = great. Jackson/Farmer = I don't know.

SaltyPretzel
07-03-2008, 03:39 AM
All the Sox fans I know, myself included, really enjoyed Hawk and Stone last year and thought it was a definite improvement.

Which is essentially a demotion, but I suppose business is business.

Demotion? I think getting stuck in the same booth as Farmer would be more like cruel and unusual punishment.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2008, 06:31 AM
As someone who relies on XM for Sox games and who really likes Stone's radio analysis, let me selfishly say that I do not support this idea.

Stone has made Farmer a decent PBP guy, and I've learned so much more about the game from Stone these past three months.

Why not do something like the Cubs used to do with Harry? Have Stone work the first three innings on TV, the middle three for radio and the last three on TV again?

pierzynski07
07-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Would Hawk do PBP for all nine innings of every game, or would they bring in a 1-3 inning replacement?

Carolina Kenny
07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
stone will be the new hawk after the hawk hangs them up

cards press box
07-03-2008, 07:59 AM
As someone who relies on XM for Sox games and who really likes Stone's radio analysis, let me selfishly say that I do not support this idea.

Stone has made Farmer a decent PBP guy, and I've learned so much more about the game from Stone these past three months.

Why not do something like the Cubs used to do with Harry? Have Stone work the first three innings on TV, the middle three for radio and the last three on TV again?

If Stone moved over to the t.v. side, perhaps the Sox could bring back Dave Wills to do play-by-play on the radio. That would be outstanding.

soxpride724
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM
The combination of Hawk and Stoney would be entertaining to say the least. I enjoyed the duo last year when Stoney filled in.

MsSoxVixen22
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here because I don't want DJ to leave. I like Hawk and DJ doing the broadcast. I don't think it's really fair to DJ who's been doing the TV broadcast with Hawk for a long time. I know Steve Stone knows the game, but as I've pointed out before, it doesn't really seem like he's "for the Sox." It seems like he's just going throught the motions. If Stone is offered a position w/in the Cubs organization, I think he will take that over anything the White Sox offer him. I also like Farmer and I get tired of hearing everyone bitch about how "bad" he is! Farmer, Hawk and DJ know the game and they bleed White Sox. Why isn't that enough? I'll take any of our announcers over Santo, Brennley and Kasper any day of the week.

soxpride724
07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here because I don't want DJ to leave. I like Hawk and DJ doing the broadcast. I don't think it's really fair to DJ who's been doing the TV broadcast with Hawk for a long time. I know Steve Stone knows the game, but as I've pointed out before, it doesn't really seem like he's "for the Sox." It seems like he's just going throught the motions. If Stone is offered a position w/in the Cubs organization, I think he will take that over anything the White Sox offer him. I also like Farmer and I get tired of hearing everyone bitch about how "bad" he is! Farmer, Hawk and DJ know the game and they bleed White Sox. Why isn't that enough? I'll take any of our announcers over Santo, Brennley and Kasper any day of the week.

I am with you on that!

seventyseven
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
DJ is awful. He should have been gone years ago. Getting rid of him would be great. I'll pack his bags for him.

I'll help you carry them after they're packed.

Anyone want to hail DJ a cab?

A.T. Money
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
I do like Hawk and DJ. Having said that, I think Hawk and Stone last year was very good. They had rave reviews last year for that week.

Chicken Dinner
07-03-2008, 08:46 AM
DJ absolutely sucks. I cringe when the 4th inning comes around and DJ is soloing. He is such a Hawk "yes man" and he doesn't bring anything to the game. Tired of his "Japanese" baseball stories. See ya!

dwalteroo
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM

My two cents only.....the bleeding White Sox is what annoys me about listening to Hawk. He's TOO MUCH of a homer. Don't get me wrong, I bleed White Sox myself, but I don't necessarily need announcers to.

When things go bad - say the Sox have a bad inning or whatever - okay, I get upset, but I don't need Hawk to get mad along with me. I'd almost it rather he just tell me what's happening and give me insights into things he sees on the field. That's why I like Farmer and Stone - they give you incredible insight without getting angry when things don't go well.

There's a distinction between expressing disappointment, which I think Farmer and Stone do, and being upset, which is more Hawk's turf.

kba
07-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Like most of Harry's traditions on the North Side, this one also started with the Sox. In the 70's, Harry would switch places for three innings with the main radio play-by-play guy (Lorn Brown, Joe McConnell, Bill Mercer, or whomever.) Piersall was on a slightly different rotation as the analyst, so that in each game, he'd work several innings on TV with Harry, and an inning or so of radio with Harry, TV with Lorn, and radio with Lorn.

I'd like to see the Sox do something like this with Stone, although I'm not sure DJ would be that strong on the radio. A lot of times I can barely make sense of what he's saying even when I have the video to look at on TV.

WhiteSoxRich
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
stone will be the new hawk after the hawk hangs them up

I'm not so sure....Stone is an excellent color guy, but I don't think he has the chops to do PBP. He is a wealth of baseball information, but seems to lack any enthusiasm that makes for a good PBP man. Not saying that is a bad thing, but some guys are better/more comfortable being a #2 guy. Kinda like what Gary Meier was to Steve Dahl and Roe Conn. I think if Stoney wanted to be top banana in a radio or tv booth, he could have had it somewhere.

TomBradley72
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM

It's not like DJ has been given rave reviews over the years. They gave him a shot his first year out of baseball, they've stuck with him for 9 years, they have a chance to clearly upgrade with a move to Steve Stone...what have they done wrong?

TomBradley72
07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
If Stone moved over to the t.v. side, perhaps the Sox could bring back Dave Wills to do play-by-play on the radio. That would be outstanding.

Dave Wills...the Aaron Rowand of the broadcast world....:cool:

gregoriop
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
I didn't think Hawk and Steve Stone got along. Wasn't one of the rumors that Wimpy was let go was because Hawk didn't like his lack of preparation? How would Hawk and Steve Stone coexist if Hawk has (rumored) history with his color men?

I used to love Hawk, but I am loving him less these days. It's almost like he's a caricature of himself. The "dabgummit"s and making the "every ball hit to the track sound like they could be gone" gimmick has got to stop.

Stone is excellent and makes the radio side worth listening to. Leave the TV side alone or at least acknowledge there might be a problem besides DJ.

Law11
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
if they (hawk & Steve) can get past the butt kissing they did when he was on last year I think its a great move.
Stone and Farmer are good but not great. Maybe its Farmer who needs to go.

Or see how happy Rooney is in STL and get him back.
have Stone and Hawk
Farmer and Rooney..

One can wish right?

johnr1note
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't watch the Sox on TV -- I only listen on the radio. Having endured the aural abortion that the Farmer/Singleton combo was, all I can say is -- please don't mess with something that is working. Stone has made Sox radio tolerable again. Replacing Stone on the radio with DJ would be a giant step backward.

That being said, the real problem with the radio team is Farmer. He is, bar none, the worst play by play announcer in MLB today. I coudln't care less about who occupies the chair next to Hawk on TV. But please, please -- don't torpedo the radio broadcasts again! I used to complain about Rooney as a pbp guy, but would take him back in a heart beat. I've heard David Wills on XM in Tampa, and would take him back in a heartbeat. Half the mlb pbp guys would be a night and day difference. Whatever you do, Brooks, don't **** up the radio booth again.

ilsox7
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I didn't think Hawk and Steve Stone got along. Wasn't one of the rumors that Wimpy was let go was because Hawk didn't like his lack of preparation? How would Hawk and Steve Stone coexist if Hawk has (rumored) history with his color men?

I used to love Hawk, but I am loving him less these days. It's almost like he's a caricature of himself. The "dabgummit"s and making the "every ball hit to the track sound like they could be gone" gimmick has got to stop.

Stone is excellent and makes the radio side worth listening to. Leave the TV side alone or at least acknowledge there might be a problem besides DJ.

False rumor.

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Since I watch most games and rarely listen on the radio ,I am selfish and would prefer that Stone come over to TV. Not saying DJ has not improved and is not tolerable but I think a change would not hurt anyone just to shake it up. I wish Farmer would go away and then DJ could go to radio along with a new guy and Stone and Hawk take over on TV.

Stone has improved the radio team a ton...so he needs to be retained somewhere. I actually think that the Sox are handling this appropriately...open and honest with DJ ..no hurt feelings.

kevingrt
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I enjoy Hawk and DJ. I wouldn't mind them staying around for a while longer. However, a Hawk and Stone booth would be awesome. The thing is I think that leaves DJ the odd man out because I cannot see him and Farmer being that great on radio. But I could be wrong.

Madscout
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
One thing's for sure, Stone would keep the "Boy I tell ya"s to a minimum.

TommyGavinFloyd
07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
My two cents only.....the bleeding White Sox is what annoys me about listening to Hawk. He's TOO MUCH of a homer. Don't get me wrong, I bleed White Sox myself, but I don't necessarily need announcers to.

When things go bad - say the Sox have a bad inning or whatever - okay, I get upset, but I don't need Hawk to get mad along with me. I'd almost it rather he just tell me what's happening and give me insights into things he sees on the field. That's why I like Farmer and Stone - they give you incredible insight without getting angry when things don't go well.

There's a distinction between expressing disappointment, which I think Farmer and Stone do, and being upset, which is more Hawk's turf.

See, I think the exact opposite of that. I don't need some robot there, that is what national tv broadcasts are for. The fact that Hawk cares as much as I do makes the experience that much better. That is one of the things that makes baseball better than american football. Screw having to listen to national guys who don't give a **** about the teams.

soxpride724
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
While I agree DJ is not the greatest I do not mind him, and if he is replaced I do not think he will have trouble finding work else where.

I will not miss his home run calls however.

KnightSox
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
While I agree DJ is not the greatest I do not mind him, and if he is replaced I do not think he will have trouble finding work else where.

I will not miss his home run calls however.OOHHH MYYY!

Lip Man 1
07-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Remember Dave is still under contract in Tampa, I think, for another season after this one ends. I don't know if he has an out clause in his deal allowing him to come back home or not.

From Tom's interview with WSI:

ML: In 1990 the TV crew was you, Jim Durham and “Hawk” Harrelson. Then in 1991 it was you and Hawk and that remained the TV team until the end of the 1999 season. Tom, I’ve heard a lot of talk and rumors about why you left the Sox. Can you give us the straight truth about why after 12 years you were gone?

TP: “I always looked at a broadcasting team exactly the same way I did when I was playing. It had to be a team effort to get the job done. It was a situation where Hawk and I were losing it from a chemistry standpoint the last few years. There were also some personal issues pending in the Atlanta area and it was difficult to take care of them when I was traveling around all the time. I was glad that I decided to make the move although I regretted leaving a lot of great people that I worked with.”
“I don’t like to watch or listen to myself but when I decided to try for the Nationals TV job I had to put together a tape so I watched some of the games from when Hawk and I were working together and I’ve got to tell you we were really good.”

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Like most of Harry's traditions on the North Side, this one also started with the Sox. In the 70's, Harry would switch places for three innings with the main radio play-by-play guy (Lorn Brown, Joe McConnell, Bill Mercer, or whomever.) Piersall was on a slightly different rotation as the analyst, so that in each game, he'd work several innings on TV with Harry, and an inning or so of radio with Harry, TV with Lorn, and radio with Lorn.

I'd like to see the Sox do something like this with Stone, although I'm not sure DJ would be that strong on the radio. A lot of times I can barely make sense of what he's saying even when I have the video to look at on TV.

I'm not surprised that the Sox did this with Harry first (I'm sure other teams have rotated TV and radio announcers, though, too). I just don't remember back that far; I was born in 76.

san2c
07-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I like Hawk and DJ as individuals, but not together. They just don't mesh. I often feel that DJ is intimidated by Hawk. When Stone and Hawk had that week together i thought it was great. I think Hawk has a lot of respect for Stone. I even emailed the ball club about it saying how much i enjoyed it. They responded saying they had many emails saying the same thing and the media dept. was getting a lot of positive responses similar to mine.. I would be very happy if they did this move.

Cliffs: I like DJ, just not with Hawk. Stone is awesome, and I actually enjoy the Hawk when hes w/ Stone.

cards press box
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Ever listen to Wills on the Tampa broadcasts on XM radio? I have. He does a great job, has a great radio voice and is perhaps the most authentic South Side White Sox voice I have ever heard.

If, by some chance, the Sox bring him back next year to do play-by-play on the radio, we (as fans) would be fortunate.

Oh, and by the way, Rowand has played great for the Phillies and Giants since he left here.*

* So the record is clear, I don't (and never did) have a problem with the Thome trade. Thome has provided a lot of left-handed pop and credibility to the Sox lineup for the past three years.

jdm2662
07-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I can't stand Hawk as much as the next guy, but the booth with Hawk and Stone was fantastic. Hawk actually called the game and not pouted. Of course, with Stone in the booth, he can't be THE show as his ego would like. Stone wouldn't bow down and kiss his feet. We will see how Hawk likes this...

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Actually, he's better when he's away from Hawk. He did some nice work on national broadcasts a few years ago. It was like night and day from the yes man he plays for Sox broadcasts.

DJ could take over the PBP and Farmer could go back to doing color. Might be a better all around situation for all of the Sox fans listening in...

Sox It To Em
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
See, I think the exact opposite of that. I don't need some robot there, that is what national tv broadcasts are for. The fact that Hawk cares as much as I do makes the experience that much better. That is one of the things that makes baseball better than american football. Screw having to listen to national guys who don't give a **** about the teams.

I agree completely. Like him or not, Hawk bleeds silver and black. His reactions are genuine and mirror mine. To me, that is far more preferable than listening to someone with no personal connection to the team like the national guys. Other teams fans describe Hawk as a homer, I couldn't care less.

WhiteSoxRich
07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
When Stone filled in last year, Hawk didn't "disappear" as he does every game. The same goes for the radio; the only time Farmer disappears is when Steve isn't in the booth.

TornLabrum
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Except Willsy is better at what he does than Rowand is.

Bump34
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM

What's wrong with that???:scratch:

The Immigrant
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Nothing, Dave. We'd love to have you back.

johnr1note
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Actually, he's better when he's away from Hawk. He did some nice work on national broadcasts a few years ago. It was like night and day from the yes man he plays for Sox broadcasts.

DJ could take over the PBP and Farmer could go back to doing color. Might be a better all around situation for all of the Sox fans listening in...

Farmer's ego is now so big, I think Hawk's ego could orbit around it. He would never take the demotion.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Dave was kind enough to clarify something for me.

His deal with Tampa is over after this season, so logistically if the Sox want Dave, I'm sure he'd at least listen to their proposal.

I'd like to see him come back home...no one can ever question his passion and love for the White Sox.

Lip

TomBradley72
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Ever listen to Wills on the Tampa broadcasts on XM radio? I have. He does a great job, has a great radio voice and is perhaps the most authentic South Side White Sox voice I have ever heard.

If, by some chance, the Sox bring him back next year to do play-by-play on the radio, we (as fans) would be fortunate.

Oh, and by the way, Rowand has played great for the Phillies and Giants since he left here.*

* So the record is clear, I don't (and never did) have a problem with the Thome trade. Thome has provided a lot of left-handed pop and credibility to the Sox lineup for the past three years.

I love Wills...and I believe he belongs on the South Side. I also think we've had a big hole in CF since Rowand left that just recently (Wise/Anderson platoon) is being filled.

I was just having a laugh.

TomBradley72
07-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Nothing at all. I love Willsie and hope he comes back to Chicago. I think he belongs here with the White Sox. Ever since he left, just about every thread around broadcasters for the White Sox leads to a plea to bring him back. Alot like a certain former CF for the White Sox.

Some guys belong with certain teams. Wills belongs with the White Sox. Like Foley belongs with the Hawks. (I can't blame Rowand for taking the 5th year...but he would have been happier here.)

Edit: Just realized who Bump34 is. Please excuse me for not updating this post to read, "I love you and hope you come back to Chicago, etc.

Brian26
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I do like Hawk and DJ. Having said that, I think Hawk and Stone last year was very good. They had rave reviews last year for that week.

Farmer and Stone on the radio have far outshined what Hawk and Stone did on television last year together. If the Sox are going to keep the same four people employed for their broadcasts, the only reasonable combinations are Hawk/DJ on tv and Farmer/Stone on radio. Farmer and DJ on the radio would be a trainwreck.

For the people pining for Chris Singleton to come back, you're crazy. Farmer this year has sounded better in a handful of broadcasts with Rongey and Eric Collins than he ever did in two years with Singleton. I'm glad people think Singleton sounds intelligent in rehearsed two minute spots on ESPN, but he absolutely blew chunks on three-hour live radio broadcasts. His command of the English language and ability to convey insightful information quickly is non-existent. Just because he all of a sudden seems coherent on ESPN, that doesn't prove he can broadcast a game.

To me, the radio broadcasters will always be more important than the television announcers. The radio announcers are your mobile ears and need to be able to present an enjoyable broadcast when you're in your car, listening on the computer, or wearing your headphones when you mow the lawn. This is why it was so devastating to lose Rooney two years ago. My dream would be for the Sox to give him a blank check to come back to Chicago and do the radio broadcasts.

Since Rooney's not coming back, the next best option is Dave Wills to do radio pbp. I'd like Stone to stay in the radio booth. Keep Hawk and DJ buried on television. The bottom line is that of the four current announcers, Farmer is the one that wouldn't be missed.

Herbal
07-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Stone is really a TV guy, which is generally considered to be the more prominent position. I think the only reason he's on the radio now is that he stepped up to the plate when Singleton left on short notice. If the Sox want to keep him around, I think they have to move him to TV. I don't see him doing another year on the radio. With Hawk around through 2011 (IIRC) that leaves DJ as the odd man out.

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Bruce Wolf on NBC 5, doing the Sox-A's highlights just now, did an impression of Hawk describing a play and saying "Stoney, I mean, DJ..."

Ouch.

areilly
07-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't know enough about how broadcast media works, but is it possible there's some kind of company policy or contractual language to promote Hawk as the "voice of the Sox," hence his dominance of the TV broadcasts despite DJ's known excellence on the national broadcasts?

I don't mean this as a kind of conspiracy theory, but from a marketing and branding perspective, it would almost make sense. . . even though Hawk is not the broadcaster I personally would want people to associate with my team.

Then again, it's not my team in any operational or financial sense, so I'll just keep turning on my radio.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Darrin Jackson is 100-times better when doing a Fox telecast than when trying to share a booth with that egomaniac, Hawk. DJ's fate does remind me a bit of Chris Singleton's predicament: Odd-man out while the real boob gets a free pass for his own shortcomings.

Stone's addition to the radio booth has been a revelation. I'm listening more and more on the radio as I find Farmer tolerable again, though still over-matched as a PBP announcer. I wouldn't blame the Sox for trying to figure out a way to leverage his talent even more. Too bad it's D.J. that might pay the price. There are two others on the payroll that deserve the boot more than he.

I was watching last night's game, listening to Hawk moan and groan, and I seriously considered muting the TV and turning on the Sox radiocast. I haven't done that trick since John Rooney left town. I NEVER listened to Hawk during the 2005 season, that's how superior Rooney's call of the game used to be.

Still, if somebody must go here is what I could live with:
TV: Hawk with Stone.
Radio: Dave Wills with Farmer.
I'll gladly lose D.J. if I can get Farmer kicked out of the PBP seat and replaced with Wills. I'm also convinced Stone will be strong enough to reign in that buffoon Hawk in the TV booth, just like he already has with Farmer on the radio side.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Lip Man 1
07-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Gang:

If you have any thoughts on this good or bad or suggestions about a possible replacement e-mail Brooks.

As you read in his interview with WSI he plays a big part in these things and would appreciate hearing what you think.

Jab:

Earlier in the thread I posted that Dave told me his deal is up after this season with Tampa.

Lip

jabrch
07-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Nothing...Sox fans want both back - and will always appreciate the work both Rowand and you, Dave, did for us.

And Lip - I deleted my post after re-reading the thread - before your response - thanks.

kba
07-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't know enough about how broadcast media works, but is it possible there's some kind of company policy or contractual language to promote Hawk as the "voice of the Sox," hence his dominance of the TV broadcasts despite DJ's known excellence on the national broadcasts?

Typically, broadcast contracts have language that spells out what a person's role is (anchorman, reporter, sideline analyst, etc.), so it's likely that their contracts stipulate that Hawk is the #1 guy on TV and Farmer is the #1 guy on radio. Usually that means a higher salary, too.

whitesox901
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
No DJ on TV ????? That would be ****ing amazing

TheVulture
07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
DJ is an original!

Stringer
07-05-2008, 05:33 AM
I can't see Stoney and Hawk making it as a team

spongyfungy
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I find DJ to be campy good, dorky yet likable and he has grown on me. I can see why some people don't like him. He changes his homer call every year it seems, which is pretty dumb. (I liked his uh-oh) vs this year's going going gone.

Hawk is the problem here because he's not the prototypical, accommodating play by play guy. Not that I mind him though. He's sharp, knows what's going on in the field, emotes and his calls are exciting. Pair DJ with another pbp guy and he instantly becomes better.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I can't see Stoney and Hawk making it as a team

Neither can I. However it is long overdue. Hawk Harrelson has become a caricature of himself and I guarantee Brooks Boyer knows it, too.

The Sox need somebody to save that buffoon from himself. Steve Stone is strong enough and professional enough to make it work.

If DJ is cast loose, I have no doubt Stone slides into the TV booth next to Hawk. He'll just have to deal with it.

:hawk
"Dadgummit!"

ilsox7
07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Neither can I. However it is long overdue. Hawk Harrelson has become a caricature of himself and I guarantee Brooks Boyer knows it, too.

The Sox need somebody to save that buffoon from himself. Steve Stone is strong enough and professional enough to make it work.

If DJ is cast loose, I have no doubt Stone slides into the TV booth next to Hawk. He'll just have to deal with it.

:hawk
"Dadgummit!"

I think Stone is Hawk's last saving grace at this point. There are probably very few other people in the broadcast business (maybe none) who Hawk might respect enough to tone the ego down. If Hawk would go back to the Hawk of old with Stone, it'd become an above average broadcast team. Great analysis from Stone, solid PBP from Hawk, and great calls of big moments.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I think Stone is Hawk's last saving grace at this point. There are probably very few other people in the broadcast business (maybe none) who Hawk might respect enough to tone the ego down. If Hawk would go back to the Hawk of old with Stone, it'd become an above average broadcast team. Great analysis from Stone, solid PBP from Hawk, and great calls of big moments.

It's funny because it has been all down hill for Hawk ever since he lost respect for Tom Paciorek's color commentary. The quality of the telecasts suffered and, not surprisingly, led to Paciorek getting pushed out rather than Hawk.

Hawk's PBP call has gotten progressively worse. It's as if he has forgotten everything his mentor, Don Drysdale, ever taught him about the profession.

If Drysdale had ever treated Hawk the way Hawk treats DJ today (or Paciorek in the past), there is no way Hawk ever becomes a PBP man. It's that simple. He poisons the broadcast booth.

The Sox need somebody to save Hawk from himself and I bet Brooks knows he has just the man for the job with Stone now on the payroll.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Ultimately I hope Steve stays in the organization in some capacity but of course it all hinges on the Cubs sale and if Stone becomes part of their new ownership.

That's part of the reason I think the Sox are waiting in all this. They can't tell what's going to happen and if Steve is going to be around. They don't want to tell D.J. "we're letting you go at the end of the season," only to have Stone leave as well or Tampa to renew Dave.

Lip

FGarcia34
07-06-2008, 11:59 AM
i feel like hawks attitude in the booth and the team rubs off on dj quite a bit. you can tell dj just doesnt feel comfortable...oh, and his "that ball is going, going, gone..." call, is just plain terrible. his chris berman gimmick is just bad. he really is bad in general. instead of being a natural and analyzing the game, he just listens to what hawk and other commentators say and attempts to use those same things...its just plain awful