PDA

View Full Version : Joe Buck prefers watching the bachelorette over baseball

The Dude
07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
He has reached a new low. Why does this man have a job?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Joe-Buck-should-be-removed-from-MLB-broadcasts-y?urn=mlb,91638

Listen to the clip. :thud:

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't see how that has anything to do with his job of calling sports games, but yeah, I agree Joe Buck should be unemployed but for many reasons not related to this.

RadioheadRocks
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Judging by how he called our ALCS and World Series I'm really not surprised.

EuroSox35
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
It shows, he sounds bored when he calls games, **** him

skottyj242
07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Blowhard...."I watch Red Sox, I watch some Yankees" what a douchebag. This makes me mad on so many levels.

Cangelosi CF
07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
my parents saw him shopping on Michigan Avenue, said he's about 5'4".

horrible announcer. Put him with Tim McCarver and gimme the mute button.:haddock:

Eddo144
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't see how that has anything to do with his job of calling sports games, but yeah, I agree Joe Buck should be unemployed but for many reasons not related to this.
Sure it has to do with his job of calling sports games. He admits in that radio piece that he "crams" for his weekend games. If you don't follow games and transactions daily, you shouldn't be the number one national announcer (and de facto ambassador) for the sport.

One thing that was said on Cold Pizza by Skip Bayless or the other guy (shudder, and I only saw this through Awful Announcing) was that if Buck is upset with the length of the games he broadcasts, why doesn't he take a pay cut so Fox can show fewer commercials, thus shortening the game?

kevingrt
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Completely agree. FOX should get him his damn talk show so us sports fan don't need to listen to him with McCarver (who's terrible as well) and Aikman (who's actually solid). Please someone new FOX.

Dibbs
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
my parents saw him shopping on Michigan Avenue, said he's about 5'4".

horrible announcer. Put him with Tim McCarver and gimme the mute button.:haddock:

As much as I wish Joe Buck was 5'4", I am almost certain he is easily over 6' tall.

october23sp
07-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah I do recall it being very very hard to watch the ALCS and World Series. Seemed like he wasn't a big Sox fan. I guess he just isn't a baseball fan.

ilsox7
07-03-2008, 10:35 PM
The truth comes to light. The reason Joe Buck is the worst announcer in all of baseball is b/c he doesn't like baseball.

Link (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/buck-cops-to-not-caring-much-about-baseball-18602)

He also doesn't like sports at all.

Link (http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.html)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Linked to basically the same thing that the OP posted. Regardless, Joe Buck is a horrific "professional."

Boondock Saint
07-03-2008, 10:38 PM
http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/07/10/joe_buck_stoneface_model_2.jpg
"I'm a tool. I'm a tool. I'm a tool, tool, tool; an unbelievably annoying tool."

Bonus points for catching the (fairly easy to catch) reference.

october23sp
07-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know if he forsure has the ALCS and World Series this year?

thomas35forever
07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know if he forsure has the ALCS and World Series this year?
Fox has the NLCS this year.

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Blowhard...."I watch Red Sox, I watch some Yankees" what a douchebag. This makes me mad on so many levels.

I'm sure that quote will go over very well in Cardinal Nation. Truly, this is quite distrubing considering the role that Joe's late father, Ford Frick HOFer Jack Buck, had as a longtime Cardinals announcer on KMOX and as a broadcaster on CBS Radio Sports.

TomBradley72
07-04-2008, 07:12 AM
As much as I wish Joe Buck was 5'4", I am almost certain he is easily over 6' tall.

Why does his height matter? Rooney was the size of the Goodyear blimp before he left Chicago...he was still a great announcer. (Not saying Buck is any good)

chaerulez
07-04-2008, 07:42 AM
As an in game announcer I don't think Buck is bad. He's not great by any means, but he's decent, but after the Randy Moss incident I've thought he was a pompous ass.

ilsox7
07-04-2008, 09:06 AM
As an in game announcer I don't think Buck is bad. He's not great by any means, but he's decent, but after the Randy Moss incident I've thought he was a pompous ass.

One of his many problems is that he has called some of the biggest home runs (and moments) in modern baseball, yet does so with the enthusiasm of watching paint dry.

TornLabrum
07-04-2008, 09:34 AM
My opinion: If Joe Buck hates sports and sports announcing so damn much, maybe he should get another job and let someone who actually loves sports get a break.

hose
07-04-2008, 10:16 AM
The one thing I can relate to that Buck said was about the old Saturday game of the week on NBC. It was something that was really special at the time.

hose
07-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Before ESPN and the internet Howard Cosell's MNF half time highlight show was also special. To actually see your team's highlights on national tv was a thrill.

The only other thing was a couple of minutes on the local 10:00 news during the sports report.

The Sporting News back in the day was also a must have paper to keep up with stats in MLB. I remember reading week old box scores of all the teams .

Dibbs
07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Why does his height matter?

It doesn't. I guess I worded it wrong....just wanted to mention he is a tall dude.

waldo_the_wolf
07-04-2008, 05:40 PM
my parents saw him shopping on Michigan Avenue, said he's about 5'4"

As much as I wish Joe Buck was 5'4".

meaning????????????????????????????? I'm 5'3", I guess I should just die. :dunno:

kurtsimonw
07-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Being from England I'm not great with knowing all the American commentators. But is he the guy that does the NFL games with Troy Aikman? If so, he really is terrible.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 07:05 AM
But is he the guy that does the NFL games with Troy Aikman? If so, he really is terrible.

Yes and yes.

dickallen15
07-05-2008, 08:35 AM
One of his many problems is that he has called some of the biggest home runs (and moments) in modern baseball, yet does so with the enthusiasm of watching paint dry.
Yet when guys like Hawk announce homers with a lot of enthusiasm they get called homers and shredded to bits. I think Buck does a good job. I really don't understand all of the hate.

ilsox7
07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Yet when guys like Hawk announce homers with a lot of enthusiasm they get called homers and shredded to bits.

Hawk gets called a homer mostly b/c of his incessant whining about umpires, foul mood when the Sox are going bad, and general excuse-making for the Sox. His calls of big moments are phenomenal; Buck could learn a thing or two (obviously would have to keep it more neutral).

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Hawk gets called a homer mostly b/c of his incessant whining about umpires, foul mood when the Sox are going bad, and general excuse-making for the Sox. His calls of big moments are phenomenal; Buck could learn a thing or two (obviously would have to keep it more neutral).

Do you think it's possible that, just as the Dallas Mavericks have gotten shafted more often as a result of Mark Cuban's whining about the NBA refs, that the Sox get shafted more often as a result of Hawk's whining about the umps?

That being said, I am sick and tired of umps calling different strike zones for different pitchers. Technology exists to determine instantaneously if a pitch is over the plate or not over the plate (too inside or too outside). Use it! (I'll leave it to umps to determine if a pitch is too high or too low.)

4th Gen. Sox Fan
07-05-2008, 09:17 AM
That's why I like John Miller for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, to me he sounds excited when either team does something good and doesn't seem to favor one team or the other in the outcome

ilsox7
07-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Do you think it's possible that, just as the Dallas Mavericks have gotten shafted more often as a result of Mark Cuban's whining about the NBA refs, that the Sox get shafted more often as a result of Hawk's whining about the umps?

That being said, I am sick and tired of umps calling different strike zones for different pitchers. Technology exists to determine instantaneously if a pitch is over the plate or not over the plate (too inside or too outside). Use it! (I'll leave it to umps to determine if a pitch is too high or too low.)

I'm not a fan of the technology option. But I think it is reasonable (maybe not likely) that there may be some umpire backlash due to Hawk. I mean, he has just gone off the deep end.

That's why I like John Miller for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, to me he sounds excited when either team does something good and doesn't seem to favor one team or the other in the outcome

I'm a pretty big fan of Miller, too. I cannot stand Joe Morgan, which makes it difficult to watch, but Miller does a nice job of calling big moments with lots of excitement, but staying neutral.

ondafarm
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Ondafarm prefers watching the bachelorette over Joe Buck

No contest.

RadioheadRocks
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Yet when guys like Hawk announce homers with a lot of enthusiasm they get called homers and shredded to bits. I think Buck does a good job. I really don't understand all of the hate.

There's a 2005 World Series DVD box set that serves as Exhibit A.

Bobby Thigpen
07-06-2008, 01:37 AM
:whocares
What the freak does it matter if he watches baseball? It's a job to him. I doubt if you're a plumber, you go home and watch tapes of plumbing fixes.

Who cares what he does at home?

whitesoxfan
07-06-2008, 01:57 AM
:whocares
What the freak does it matter if he watches baseball? It's a job to him. I doubt if you're a plumber, you go home and watch tapes of plumbing fixes.

Yeah because I mean after all, announcing baseball games for a living and being a plumber for a living are so similar.

Anyone can be a plumber. Only a select few get to call baseball games for a living; a job that many, many, many people would love to have. If announcing a baseball game is a job to you, move over and let someone else take your "job" away from you.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah because I mean after all, announcing baseball games for a living and being a plumber for a living are so similar.

Anyone can be a plumber. Only a select few get to call baseball games for a living; a job that many, many, many people would love to have. If announcing a baseball game is a job to you, move over and let someone else take your "job" away from you.It takes more brains to pass the licensing exams to be a plumber than to live on your father's name and get a job talking into a microphone.

RadioheadRocks
07-06-2008, 03:06 AM
It takes more brains to pass the licensing exams to be a plumber than to live on your father's name and get a job talking into a microphone.
:thumbsup:

Bobby Thigpen
07-06-2008, 08:24 AM

Anyone can be a plumber. Only a select few get to call baseball games for a living; a job that many, many, many people would love to have. If announcing a baseball game is a job to you, move over and let someone else take your "job" away from you.
So, since that's your dream job and you'd love to do it, he should watch baseball all the time? Think about how much sense that makes.

TornLabrum
07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
So, since that's your dream job and you'd love to do it, he should watch baseball all the time? Think about how much sense that makes.

Maybe if he'd watch a little more baseball, that would translate into greater knowledge of the game. Just a thought....

Madscout
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Bull****. Have you ever seen him in the booth with guys? Everyone, litterally everyone he is ever with is at least a head taller, and I'd bet they put him on a box or something.

Bobby Thigpen
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Maybe if he'd watch a little more baseball, that would translate into greater knowledge of the game. Just a thought....
Why should he? His bosses don't seem to see a problem. He's at the top of his proffession.

TornLabrum
07-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Why should he? His bosses don't seem to see a problem. He's at the top of his proffession.

And he sucks at what he does.

Eddo144
07-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Watching tapes of plumbing fixes would not be the equivalent of Buck watching baseball. For a plumber, the equivalent would be keeping up with new technology available in plumbing (materials, tools, etc.). It's called being prepared to do a good job, and not getting complacent.

Smokey Burg
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Ever since he started doing national broadcasts, I've noticed that he was rarely ever excited or really interested in the game. He never seemed very knowledgeable about players, coaches, strategy, etc. I thought it was because of his and his fathers background with the Cardinals. He did seem somewhat interested when he broadcast Cards games. Now it appears he just doesn't like sports. I think it is up to us Sox fans to help him find a new career. Based on what he has already done professionally we have to exclude any position that would require preparation, knowledge and enthusiasm. Also, rumors from acquaintances in entertainment indicate that he is a pompous jerk. He may not do well in a public relations job. I can think of three positions that he may be well suited for.

1. Information clerk at Cook County Courthouse.

2. Precinct captain.

3. Over the counter clerk at the advance ticket sales window at Wrigley Field.

There are obviously many more positions that he could qualify for. Any suggestions Sox fans?