PDA

View Full Version : You Make the Call: Who Goes When Konerko Returns?

TomBradley72
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I vote for Russell. We don't use our 12th pitcher that much....can always have him up here within 24 hours. Keep Uribe for insurance, Anderson for defense, Ozuna and Wise for RH/LH speed off the bench.

Shoeless_Jim
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I vote for Russell. We don't use our 12th pitcher that much....can always have him up here within 24 hours. Keep Uribe for insurance, Anderson for defense, Ozuna and Wise for RH/LH speed off the bench.

I agree.

WhiteSox5187
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking Uribe will be traded, Russell might be sent down in which case we might call up a guy like Bourgeois or Getz, but I think Uribe is all but done.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Paulie.

To the Angels.

For Figgins and Shields.

:tongue:

BadBobbyJenks
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
He has come up big for us back to back nights, but I would vote for Russell

07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I voted Anderson just to make some of the fanboys angry.

SoxNation05
07-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Paulie.

To the Angels.

For Figgins and Shields.

:tongue:
NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!:D:

SoxNation05
07-02-2008, 11:32 PM
me too and because he sucks.

peeonwrigley
07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
I'd sprain Juan Uribe's ankle and put him on the DL until we need him.

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I took russell also....I just feel it is too risky to go with just Pablo as a backup infielder. And both BA and Wise have really contributed recently. Russell goes down for two months and then is back in Sept.

BainesHOF
07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Ozuna has been awful defensively this season. He'd be the one to go if I was the one making the call, but I suspect they'll be happy to dump Uribe's salary if they're able to find a taker.

soxfandy
07-03-2008, 12:26 AM
no way it is russell....i know BA and wise have both contributed and I like the platoon we have in CF. However when Paulie comes back it will be Wise that gets sent down.

I say this because Paulie will play 1B which means Swisher will play CF. There is simply no reason to have BA and Wise on the roster with an everyday outfield of TCQ, Swisher, and Dye. So Wise goes even though he has outperformed the other candidates.

gobears1987
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Thome

Seriously, Russell goes as we don't really need to carry 12 pitchers. Especially with the innings our starters eat up.

johnr1note
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
With the revelation of Jenks' physical issues, could he be going to the DL?

gobears1987
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
With the revelation of Jenks' physical issues, could he be going to the DL?
No, they are just being cautious with him and are saying it isn't serious.

wsf4l
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Russel is gone, ozzie loves juan uribe.

Save McCuddy's
07-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Am I on glue, or are we a better team without Paulie?

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM

The former...

JB98
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM

Glue. We had long winning streaks when Konerko was playing too. It isn't like the team suddenly became good when Paul got injured.

Daver
07-03-2008, 05:13 PM

They should send down the only center fielder they have on the forty man roster.

Save McCuddy's
07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
It's not the winning streak that provoked the question.

We get significantly better defensively when Swisher is at first and not in center. When BA is in center we have an above avg. fielder in a significant position.

The question then becomes: "is a defensive upgrade in center worth the drop-off offensively from Paulie to BA/Wise?" Unfortunately, that question is tough to answer because we don't know which Paulie we're going to get down the stretch. If it's the one that was hitting .215 with 8 Hr's in 228 AB's or the Paulie that tends to be hotter one half than the other. It appears obvious to me that we're better off without him if one thinks that he is going to continue to struggle.

JB98
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM

We get significantly better defensively when Swisher is at first and not in center. When BA is in center we have an above avg. fielder in a significant position.

The question then becomes: "is a defensive upgrade in center worth the drop-off offensively from Paulie to BA/Wise?" Unfortunately, that question is tough to answer because we don't know which Paulie we're going to get down the stretch. If it's the one that was hitting .215 with 8 Hr's in 228 AB's or the Paulie that tends to be hotter one half than the other. It appears obvious to me that we're better off without him if one thinks that he is going to continue to struggle.

If he's healthy, he won't struggle.

Just as Thome and Swisher weren't going to struggle all year, Konerko isn't going to struggle all year. Unless the injuries continue to hamper him.

voodoochile
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM

But he deserves the chance to prove he won't continue to struggle.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Just keep sniffing what you've got and let's keep winning without him.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Previously I posed a hypothetical: what if Wise and/or BA hit really well?

I was laughed at, mocked, scorned, called a Paulie hater, etc.

Well, BA just had three good games and has had some big RBI hits. Now Wise leads off tonight with a homer after having a big single, steal, and score to win another recent game.

The bottom line is that Swisher seems better with the glove at 1B that Paulie and is hitting well, and the Sox are getting good production out of CF with the Wise/BA platoon.

I guess my hypothetical wasn't so far from reality, was it...

:rolling:

Daver
07-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Previously I posed a hypothetical: what if Wise and/or BA hit really well?

I was laughed at, mocked, scorned, called a Paulie hater, etc.

Well, BA just had three good games and has had some big RBI hits. Now Wise leads off tonight with a homer after having a big single, steal, and score to win another recent game.

The bottom line is that Swisher seems better with the glove at 1B that Paulie and is hitting well, and the Sox are getting good production out of CF with the Wise/BA platoon.

I guess my hypothetical wasn't so far from reality, was it...

:rolling:

Nick Swisher is in no way, shape, or form a better first baseman than PK.

MarySwiss
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM

The voice of reason. I like Nick as much as the next guy/girl, but c'mon! Not even close!

And sorry if your feelings were hurt, Frater, but you have always been a "Let's trade Paulie for (fill in the blank)" kind of guy. Deny it all you want.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2008, 08:30 PM

OK. I've trusted your analysis before and I'll trust it here, too.

On another unrelated matter. Who is more obsessed? The obsessed, or those who are obsessed with the obsessed? :D:

Daver
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
OK. I've trusted your analysis before and I'll trust it here, too.

On another unrelated matter. Who is more obsessed? The obsessed, or those who are obsessed with the obsessed? :D:

Those that are obsessed of the the obsessed of the obsessed of course.

Brian26
07-03-2008, 08:47 PM

I'm glad someone else said this. Among other things, Swisher seems to catch a lot of balls behind first base while he's moving backwards. I've never seen PK do this here.

ArkanSox
07-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I think PK's a great defensive 1st baseman and easily our best.

I find it strange that some WS fans don't back him as he undergoes a slump most likely caused by a plethora of injuries. He's a captain and a gamer.

MarySwiss
07-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I think PK's a great defensive 1st baseman and easily our best.

I find it strange that some WS fans don't back him as he undergoes a slump most likely caused by a plethora of injuries. He's a captain and a gamer.
Well said. You summed it up nicely. Then again, I might be obsessed.

Edit: Can I change my vote to "other"? As in, I really don't care who goes down as long as PK is right.

Brian26
07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
And sorry if your feelings were hurt, Frater, but you have always been a "Let's trade Paulie for (fill in the blank)" kind of guy. Deny it all you want.

http://ui31.gamespot.com/1214/deadhorsebeat_2.gif

Daver
07-03-2008, 09:42 PM
http://ui31.gamespot.com/1214/deadhorsebeat_2.gif

I prefer this one.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/deadhorse.gif

Palehose Pete
07-03-2008, 09:52 PM

Yes.

The_Sox_R_Us
07-03-2008, 10:47 PM
:scratch::scratch:to me its a juggle between Uribe and Ozuna i like Anderson and i don't think he's totally useless I'd also like to see Russell get a little more time with us.

Chicken Dinner
07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Keep Russell and finally part ways with Nick Masset. :o:

October26
07-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I just want White Sox Captain Paul Konerko back well and ready to lead us. Even during the recent 7 game winning streak, I missed Paulie. Can't wait to see him back in a Sox uniform.

Lukin13
07-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Pablo...

He is a spark plug that lost the spark.

Uribe can't be any worse defensively at third, and Fields should be with the big club when he gets healthy.

voodoochile
07-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I just want White Sox Captain Paul Konerko back well and ready to lead us. Even during the recent 7 game winning streak, I missed Paulie. Can't wait to see him back in a Sox uniform.

He went 2/3 for Charlotte tonight both singles. So it won't be that much longer...

Stringer
07-05-2008, 05:28 AM
I voted Uribe, but I would rather see Ozuna gone

JB98
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
He went 2/3 for Charlotte tonight both singles. So it won't be that much longer...

In Saturday's game, Konerko went 1-for-2 with a two-run double and four walks.

Paulie has reached base in eight of his 10 plate appearances for the Knights.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
In Saturday's game, Konerko went 1-for-2 with a two-run double and four walks.

Paulie has reached base in eight of his 10 plate appearances for the Knights.

It would be so great if he can stay hot when he comes back to the Sox. Hopefully he can feast on the weak Royals and Rangers pitching and really get going for the second half. It would be good to go into, and come out of, the All Star Break with all guns blazing.

slavko
07-06-2008, 01:15 AM
If he's healthy, he won't struggle.

Just as Thome and Swisher weren't going to struggle all year, Konerko isn't going to struggle all year. Unless the injuries continue to hamper him.

If he keeps trying to pull outside pitches for half a season at a time he will struggle. Like the first part of 2005. Health may or may not be a convenient excuse. I agree health has been an issue this year. It hasn't in the past in his long slumps.

Save McCuddy's
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM

You've got to stop. It took all of ten games for swisher to get acclamated and he is definitely Konerko's equal at first defensively. He'll be better before the season's over.

Where does this dream that Paulie is the next Keith Hernandez at first come from? Did the Paulie lovers just see too much of Frank at first that they base adequacy at the position on his example? I don't get it. It's okay to accept that Paulie is an average first basemen defensively who throws well. You don't have to slip into fantasy land from there.

Jeckle2000
07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
What has bothered me are the fans that seem to think that we should just get rid of Uribe and keep the rest of the bench as is. That would leave us with one player on the team that could back up the right side of the IF. Am I off base to think that would be a very stupid move?