PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine: Sabathia should/will be traded in a few weeks.

It's Time
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
He was on with Mac, Jurko and Harry and he said that his Indians Sources told him if a deal is made with the Cubs, the players the Tribe would most want are Sean Gallagher, Josh Vitters and Ronny Cedeno.

He said CC wants to play in the NL because he "loves to hit".

We saw Gallagher this weekend and I thought he looked pretty good (95 on the gun) for a 22 year old. However, I know nothing of Josh Vitters and Cedeno, to me, isn't very good.

I guess he mentioned the reasoning for wanting Cedeno is because they want to move Peralta out of the SS position.

Most of what you hear on TV with regards to Sabathia mention the Crew and the Cubs as his most likely destination.

Ronny Cedeno? C'mon.

sox1970
07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I hope Milwaukee picks him up. 26 years is too long for any team not to make the playoffs. Well--except one.

BadBobbyJenks
07-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Vitters was their best prospect, but he has been hurt this season. I really don't think the Cubs have enough for CC. Milwaukee has better options and the Rays could be a darkhorse.

KRS1
07-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey Bruce...

http://thereforeiam.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/nowai.jpg

It's Time
07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I googled this Vitters kid and found a lot of info. I guess the guy is 3B and was the highest rated prospect coming out of HS in 2007.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070607&content_id=2011722&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

SoxSpeed22
07-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm surprised Donald Veal has not been mentioned. Cedeno's a decent bench player, but not much more. Vitters looks like he's going to be an outstanding hitter, but Ramierz might be there for too long. I would make that deal.

JermaineDye05
07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
If Ronnie Cedeno and Sean Gallagher are the major league ready players getting Sabathia.. then :puking:

As much as I'd like to see the Cubs fail, I'd more like to see the Indians get mediocre talent in return for C.C. as opposed to getting players who will kill the Sox for years to come.

I don't think Shapiro is dumb enough to make that deal for C.C. IMO Sabathia is going to either the Brewers or Rays.

JB98
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Gallagher, Cedeno and Vitters? Shapiro can get a better package elsewhere, and he probably will.

The Cub-loving media in Chicago always thinks Hendry can make the key acquisition for 75 cents on the dollar, because that's what he did to acquire Aramis Ramirez in 2003. It won't happen with Shapiro. The Indians aren't the Pirates.

It's Time
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't think Shapiro is dumb enough to make that deal for C.C. IMO Sabathia is going to either the Brewers or Rays.

I tend to agree. That's why the Crew HAS to stay in the race the next 3 weeks. If they fall, say, 7.5 or 8.5 back, they problably will not trade the farm for a guy who could bolt in the off season.

Whatever team trades for him, I'm sure they'll want to try and work out a contract before he is eligible to test the market.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
The Indians aren't the Pirates.

Well, if Hendry doesn't get C.C., he can always send Cedeno and Rich Hill to Pittsburgh for Nady and Bay.

It's Time
07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Gallagher, Cedeno and Vitters? Shapiro can get a better package elsewhere, and he probably will.

The Cub-loving media in Chicago always thinks Hendry can make the key acquisition for 75 cents on the dollar, because that's what he did to acquire Aramis Ramirez in 2003. It won't happen with Shapiro. The Indians aren't the Pirates.

http://www.baseballdigestdaily.com/blog/uploaded_images/SYGDVHRr-751383.jpg
*Snickers*
"I'll throw in Veal and Pie, that should do it".

JB98
07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, if Hendry doesn't get C.C., he can always send Cedeno and Rich Hill to Pittsburgh for Nady and Bay.

Hill got knocked out in the first inning against rookie-leaguers last night.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080701-rich-hill-chicago-cubs,1,1881136.story

Fortunately, neither Nady nor Bay fit a Cubbie need. Hendry won't be able to fleece the Pirates this season.

stacksedwards
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
This is sports radio poo IMO. It really does not take much to come out and say this after the Sox take the first two games in the series. He is just throwing something at the wall and hopes it sticks. Its gonna take a lot more than an average SS, a infield prospect and a pitching prospect to get last year's Cy Young winner. Levine loves the Cubs. This is the same guy who had Soriano on the Sox two summers ago.

JB98
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
This is sports radio poo IMO. It really does not take much to come out and say this after the Sox take the first two games in the series. He is just throwing something at the wall and hopes it sticks. Its gonna take a lot more than an average SS, a infield prospect and a pitching prospect to get last year's Cy Young winner. Levine loves the Cubs. This is the same guy who had Soriano on the Sox two summers ago.

He's also the guy who said Buehrle's shoulder was shot, and that Mark needed seven days off in between starts. Since that time, Buehrle has reeled off five consecutive dominant outings.

gobears1987
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I'd rather see the Flubs give up little for Fatbathia and win with him than see Cleveland load up on good young talent that will hurt us for the next decade.

getonbckthr
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I can't imagine any team giving up a king's ransom for a 2 month rental. In todays baseball you need talented kids to come in and perform for cheap to balance the other guys salary figures.

SoxSpeed22
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I can't imagine any team giving up a king's ransom for a 2 month rental. In todays baseball you need talented kids to come in and perform for cheap to balance the other guys salary figures.Scott Kazmir backlash. And also if he does work out for the Cubs, they definitely have the pockets to resign him.

getonbckthr
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Scott Kazmir backlash. And also if he does work out for the Cubs, they definitely have the pockets to resign him.
Well exactly. Milwaukee and Tampa are not franchises that can afford to deal prospects for a 2 month rental unless they resign him. I cannot picture either of them resigning him at 20 million per. What I can see is Zell telling Jim Hendry give them whatever they want for Sabathia then give him 8 yrs and 160 million. How many of the interested buyers are gonna scared away seeing that happen? I know who won't, Mark Cuban. Especially if Zell can sell Hendry on the notion that whoever buys the team will probably bring in his own upper management guys.

Tragg
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Well exactly. Milwaukee and Tampa are not franchises that can afford to deal prospects for a 2 month rental unless they resign him.
Tampa certainly could. They have a lot of prospects. They'd probably prefer a rental more than a guy with some years - exactly what the can't do is re-sign him. It works out nicely for a team with surplus prospects. Plus, the market value for rents is less than it was

I don't like the Sox doing it because a)we're thin and don't have the prospects; and b)some of the players labelled elite that were bandied about over the years were and still are counterfeit (AJ Burnett; Bedard).

JB98
07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Scott Kazmir backlash. And also if he does work out for the Cubs, they definitely have the pockets to resign him.

Don't be so sure about that. The sale is pending, and they already have some big, long-term contracts on the books.

getonbckthr
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Don't be so sure about that. The sale is pending, and they already have some big, long-term contracts on the books.
They can for the simple reason Cuban will buy them no matter what. All adding another huge salary does is eliminate other possible buyers. If it comes down to just Cuban baseball will give him the Cubs. I think he will get them no matter what, but a trade and re-signing of Sabathia would lock it in.

TheOldRoman
07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
They can for the simple reason Cuban will buy them no matter what. All adding another huge salary does is eliminate other possible buyers. If it comes down to just Cuban baseball will give him the Cubs. I think he will get them no matter what, but a trade and re-signing of Sabathia would lock it in.There is a 0% chance Cuban buys the Cubs. He would probably like to, but he is on Reinsdorf's **** list. Jerry has a lot of pull, and there is no way he would allow Cuban to buy the team.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Did LeVineLine breathlessly make any comments about how it's Sabathia lifelong dream to play with the Cubbies?

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I can't imagine any team giving up a king's ransom for a 2 month rental. In todays baseball you need talented kids to come in and perform for cheap to balance the other guys salary figures.

Sabathia will at least get you a pair of nice draft picks next year to help you start restocking your system. If you think your an impact pitcher away from making a strong push at the play-offs, why wouldn't you? Thanks, Billy Beane for being the posterboy for the sackless generation of baseball execs who endlessly worry about next year at the expense of current success.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
They can for the simple reason Cuban will buy them no matter what. All adding another huge salary does is eliminate other possible buyers. If it comes down to just Cuban baseball will give him the Cubs. I think he will get them no matter what, but a trade and re-signing of Sabathia would lock it in.

We have a better chance of collecting money on Sox message boards to buy the Cubs than Cuban does.

asindc
07-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Did LeVineLine breathlessly make any comments about how it's Sabathia lifelong dream to play with the Cubbies?

If so, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I have it on very good authority the C.C. wants to play in the Bay Area. Might not happen, but the Cubs are not a "lifelong dream" of his.

getonbckthr
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
IF MLB blocks Cuban that sale is gonna get very ugly.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
If so, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I have it on very good authority the C.C. wants to play in the Bay Area. Might not happen, but the Cubs are not a "lifelong dream" of his.
http://assets.espn.go.com/espnradiostations/i/chicago/airstaff/airstaff_levine330.jpg
"CC, don't you think it would be really, really, really
OH IT WOULD MAKE ME WET MYSELF if were traded to
my love, the Cubs? Oh, and can I interview you
for VineLine?"

chisoxmike
07-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Where's otis with the scoop?

Tragg
07-03-2008, 12:03 AM
We have a better chance of collecting money on Sox message boards to buy the Cubs than Cuban does.
Why are they going to block him?
He's not a criminal or anything. Just generally annoying?

doublem23
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM

Baseball is still a good old boys club.

ilsox7
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM

He's not Selig's hand-picked guy. Canning is.

Tragg
07-03-2008, 12:21 AM
He'll sue them and he should.

I think the Cubs are going to be a mess pretty soon. They better win this year (depending on one's perspective of course)

TheOldRoman
07-03-2008, 12:23 AM
He's not Selig's hand-picked guy. Canning is.Well, I hope whoever buys the Cubs is as colossal of a failure as the Tribune has been (outside of brilliant marketing).

This is just Levine throwing more crap at the wall. As usual, he is saying what he prays will happen, not what has any chance of taking place. The Cubs very well might end up with Fatbathia, but it wont be for the garbage Bruce thinks.

TheOldRoman
07-03-2008, 12:25 AM

I think the Cubs are going to be a mess pretty soon. They better win this year (depending on one's perspective of course)Baseball has an anti-trust exemption. He wouldn't win, and I don't think he wants the Cubs badly enough to through an extremely long court battle.

thedudeabides
07-03-2008, 12:26 AM
This is the same garbage Levine and the cub fans were convinced they were getting Roberts with. I guess we'll be reading daily garbage about this until the trade deadline passes. Call me when something happens. :mad:

Lip Man 1
07-03-2008, 12:32 AM
As much of a difference maker Sabathia could be, if you are a G.M. you have to think very carefully about this in my opinion.

Here's why:

1. He's probably a three month rental. The usual suspects are going to pay a king's ransom for his services next season, that leaves out 75-85% of the teams in MLB.

2. Is he worth two or three top prospects for three months?

3. Most importantly...this is not the same pitcher as last season, this contract situation has apparently gotten inside of his head. Why would a change in teams change that attitude? To say nothing of the pressure of a pennant race. If it's not the contract situation then he may be hurt, again he doesn't even remotely look like the same guy who won the Cy Young.

Lip

ilsox7
07-03-2008, 12:37 AM
3. Most importantly...this is not the same pitcher as last season, this contract situation has apparently gotten inside of his head. Why would a change in teams change that attitude? To say nothing of the pressure of a pennant race. If it's not the contract situation then he may be hurt, again he doesn't even remotely look like the same guy who won the Cy Young.

Lip

Up until tonight, the Captain has been great since his first 4 starts of the year. And put him in the NL and he will dominate.

slavko
07-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Well exactly. Milwaukee and Tampa are not franchises that can afford to deal prospects for a 2 month rental unless they resign him. I cannot picture either of them resigning him at 20 million per. What I can see is Zell telling Jim Hendry give them whatever they want for Sabathia then give him 8 yrs and 160 million. How many of the interested buyers are gonna scared away seeing that happen? I know who won't, Mark Cuban. Especially if Zell can sell Hendry on the notion that whoever buys the team will probably bring in his own upper management guys.

Solid reasoning. But what if Milw or Tampa can get him for lesser prospects? The Cubs are not offering much, as we all agree. It is a salary dump, when you look behind the veil, right? Hendry's best deals (Lee, Ramirez) have been salary dump pickups, not works of genius. It's gonna be interesting.

TDog
07-03-2008, 01:09 AM

Signing Sabathia would be a huge mistake if it's for the money and years he is demanding. Physically, Sabathia is a disaster waiting to happen. The reality is that he will get both, but the probability is that he will be disappointing. Overall, Sabathia has been disappointing for Cleveland this year. For that matter, Johan Santana has been disappointing this year, and no one saw that coming.

Mohoney
07-03-2008, 01:29 AM
By next Monday, the Cubs won't even be in 1st place anymore, and the complete collapse will be in earnest. Therefore, they won't mortgage the farm for Sabathia at the trade deadline.

Cuck the Fubs
07-03-2008, 01:38 AM
What stops the Yankees from getting into the mix....they could surely sign him to a huge contract, and I'm sure they could put together something better than what the Cubs can offer no?

Optipessimism
07-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Um, Vitters + Gallagher + Cedeno is a good move for the Indians. I don't know why it's being trashed. The Indians aren't going to be able to sign him so this would be a vast improvement over a late first rounder and a supplemental first or a supplemental first and a second rounder.

Personally I'm not buying all this talk about the Rays and Brewers dealing prospects for a rental that wont re-sign with them and some draft picks. I could see one of those teams adding a good player for the stretch run, but I doubt they deal some of the best of the farm for a rental.

The Cubs OTOH have as good of a chance as any and are probably one of the favorites, so I could see them paying a ransom for Sabathia. They are the top contender in the pitcher-friendly NL, they play in the 3rd largest market in the country, and they don't mind giving out crazy contracts. Of all the teams that might be willing to go 5-6 years on Sabathia - Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers - the Cubs have probably the best or second-best package to offer. The Dodgers may have the sun, but they aren't a real WS contender. They need to develop more young players and ditch bad veteran contracts before they can find themselves in a position as good as the Cubs.

Boondock Saint
07-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Um, Vitters + Gallagher + Cedeno is a good move for the Indians. I don't know why it's being trashed. The Indians aren't going to be able to sign him so this would be a vast improvement over a late first rounder and a supplemental first or a supplemental first and a second rounder.

I agree with your second point there, but Vitters/Cedeno/Gallagher is not a good move for the Indians. The Indians aren't building for 2-3 years down the road, they're selling off their shot at winning this season in order to reload for next year. Vitters is a top-tier talent, but he's at least a year or two away from being ready for MLB. Gallagher is a solid prospect, but he isn't going to be a difference maker for Cleveland. And Cedeno just isn't a very good MLB player.

Zisk77
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
I think trade talks between Hendry and Sapiro go something like this:

Hendry: Hi this is Jim Hendry Chicago's GM, how about hill, cedeno, and Fontenot for Sabathia.

Shapiro: Hendry? (must be kenny's assistant...very sneaky) Who? Nevermind. Tell Kenny that I don't like trading inside the division, but he can have CC for ramirez, tCQ, and Lance Broadway.

Hendry: No, this Jim hendry of the Chicago Cubs!

Shapiro: Cibs? I didn't know Chicago had 2 teams? I'll get back with ya in a second, its hard to concentrate with Borowski under my desk ih, well, insuring he remains on the roster.

Shapiro: ok Jim I did some research and your right their is a second Chicago team, who knew? I'm not real familar with your players but I'll let you steal CC from us to get him out of our league for Gallagher, Marmol, and Soto.

Hendry Sorry Mark thats too much. How about Gallagher, Samardzbmcvklnda, and vitters?

Shapiro: Can't get too many wide receivers you can't spell, but I'm going to have to pass I have the Brewers GM on line one. I miss them not being in the AL to beat up on...

palehozenychicty
07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
What stops the Yankees from getting into the mix....they could surely sign him to a huge contract, and I'm sure they could put together something better than what the Cubs can offer no?

Cashman doesn't want to pitch in anything yet e.g. Hughes/Kennedy/Jackson/Chamberlain, and he's worried about CC's physical state as well over the duration of a contract.

Hell, his deal expires at season's end, but they'll throw him enough money to take more abuse from Hank. :tongue:

PatK
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Didn't Bruce also say to bank on the Sox getting Jason Schmidt in 2005 and us winning the World Series?

He at least got half of it right.

The Immigrant
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I shudder to think what C.C.'s weight will balloon to when he gets a 6-7 year deal. Some GM will lose his job over that contract.

SOXPHILE
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/espnradiostations/i/chicago/airstaff/airstaff_levine330.jpg

"Lithen up evwyone ! I know what I'm talking about ! If I thay Thee Thee Thabathia ith going to be twaded to the Cubth, then it'th twoo. My thources tell me it ith his wifelong dweem to play for them, the most hithtoric fwanchise in hithory. The Cubth will get him in exchange for a case of Old Style and a peanut vendor in the lower deck. If the Indians want more, Hendwy will throw in Rich Hill...."

WhiteSoxRich
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
:rolleyes:http://assets.espn.go.com/espnradiostations/i/chicago/airstaff/airstaff_levine330.jpg

"Lithen up evwyone ! I know what I'm talking about ! If I thay Thee Thee Thabathia ith going to be twaded to the Cubth, then it'th twoo. My thources tell me it ith his wifelong dweem to play for them, the most hithtoric fwanchise in hithory. The Cubth will get him in exchange for a case of Old Style and a peanut vendor in the lower deck. If the Indians want more, Hendwy will throw in Rich Hill...."

Now that's funny!! :smile:

Tragg
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Baseball has an anti-trust exemption. He wouldn't win, and I don't think he wants the Cubs badly enough to through an extremely long court battle.
I know - but it can be repealed. And there are other angles to take. But it would largely be a show - just to do it...but Cuban seems like that kind of fellow.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I was just listening to Steve Stone's 2 hour show with Laurence Holmes from earlier on today and a caller called in and said he thinks Marmol and Marshall would get Sabathia. Steve Stone just said "They would hang Mark Shapiro, but it's a nice thought" :roflmao:

soxpride724
07-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Ahahahah! Thanks:smile:

TDog
07-03-2008, 05:30 PM

I think the Cubs are going to be a mess pretty soon. They better win this year (depending on one's perspective of course)

Baseball's antitrust exemption is established in U.S. Supreme Court precedent. Such a lawsuit would be frivolous.

Tragg
07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Baseball's antitrust exemption is established in U.S. Supreme Court precedent. Such a lawsuit would be frivolous.
No - it was established by a legislative act. The USSCt affirmed its constitutionality.
It's been attacked a number of times - and various practices that were thought to be within the exemption, deemed beyond the exemption.....such as the reserve clause.

TDog
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
No - it was established by a legislative act. The USSCt affirmed its constitutionality.
It's been attacked a number of times - and various practices that were thought to be within the exemption, deemed beyond the exemption.....such as the reserve clause.

Congress could repeal the antitrust exemption, but it was upheld in the Curt Flood case. People with big money have been denied teams in the past, and they haven't sued baseball because they don't have any legal standing to sue.

getonbckthr
07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Congress could repeal the antitrust exemption, but it was upheld in the Curt Flood case. People with big money have been denied teams in the past, and they haven't sued baseball because they don't have any legal standing to sue.
Apparently the one suing would be Zell himself if Cuban is the highest bidder.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I was just listening to Steve Stone's 2 hour show with Laurence Holmes from earlier on today and a caller called in and said he thinks Marmol and Marshall would get Sabathia. Steve Stone just said "They would hang Mark Shapiro, but it's a nice thought" :roflmao:

Wow, i know teams overvalue thier own prospects but dang, that's wouldn't be enough to get a Jeff Suppan type pitcher, let alone CC.

Brian26
07-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow, i know teams overvalue thier own prospects but dang, that's wouldn't be enough to get a Jeff Suppan type pitcher, let alone CC.

And that's the other end of the spectrum. Marmol has a lot of potential as a future close, while Marshall is a decent prospect. Those two guys should be able to net something better than Suppan but less than Sabathia.

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
If Marmol was offered, I would do that trade in half of a nanosecond if I was Cleveland. If he can develop a changeup to go with his fastball and slider, there's the Tribe's closer for 11+ years.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
According to buster onley, the indians sent some scouts down to Nashville(the brewers AA team). Word i have heard is they are specifically targeting Taylor Green(single A 3B prospect, Brewers Minor League POY last year). Green is a great player(he would already be at AA, but there is no room from him with Gamel at 3rd, and Escobar at SS), and is listed as the Brewers 6th best prospect at Brewerfan.net. This deal just got a whole lot closer to reality. Is it a sure thing yet? No. But it shows there are serious enough talks that they would sent some guys down to check out the players. If the brewers can get CC without giving up Laporta or Gamel, i'd be so happy i might cry.

Sockinchisox
07-04-2008, 01:11 AM
The Brewers have already put in an offer for Sabathia and it includes their top prospect in Matt LaPorta, they appear to want Sabathia badly.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8311012/Brewers-lead-pack-making-serious-run-at-Sabathia

white sox bill
07-04-2008, 11:34 AM
If they keep blowing games like last PM losing to the Snakes, they won't have a need for CC

ComiskeyBrewer
07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
If they keep blowing games like last PM losing to the Snakes, they won't have a need for CC

I believe the brewers are something like 30-3 when leading after 8, so it's not like this happens often.

EDIT: Looks like Brewers Beat reporter TH thinks this offer is a little off.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/04/fox-sports-says-laporta-escobar-offered.aspx

jabrch
07-04-2008, 12:10 PM

If Hendry is willing to move Vitters, he will probably be able to put together a package that is as good as a LaPorta package from the Brewers. Might be Veal or Ceda instead of Gallagher. Might be Colvin or Pie or Patterson instead of Cedeno. But Vitters likely will be a very good hitter in a few years. Shapiro is a smart enough GM with enough trust from ownership that he can build for the future.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-04-2008, 12:30 PM
If they wanted to empty out thier Minors of talent, sure. But i don't think Henry is that dumb. However, a LaPorta/Gamel trade trumps anything the cubs can offer. That being said, a LaPorta/Gamel trade isn't on the table. Heck, according to the brewers FO, a Laporta/Escobar isn't.

jabrch
07-04-2008, 12:43 PM
If they wanted to empty out thier Minors of talent, sure. But i don't think Henry is that dumb.

I disagree. The team will be sold soon. Hendry's contract expires after this season. If he wants to be resigned to a new 5 year deal or to market himself well for his next GM job somewhere, the best (maybe only) thing he can do it win a WS, or at least make a strong run. They can afford to move Vitters, Ceda and Veal and still contend for many years. What I don't think Hendry personally can afford is this team not making the playoffs and making a run at it.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I disagree. The team will be sold soon. Hendry's contract expires after this season. If he wants to be resigned to a new 5 year deal or to market himself well for his next GM job somewhere, the best (maybe only) thing he can do it win a WS, or at least make a strong run. They can afford to move Vitters, Ceda and Veal and still contend for many years. What I don't think Hendry personally can afford is this team not making the playoffs and making a run at it.

I would think other owners would see he wayyyy overpaid for a 3 month rental and that might keep him from getting signed to a new contract. And yes, the cubs can stay competitive, because they never really develop any talent anyways.

jabrch
07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I would think other owners would see he wayyyy overpaid for a 3 month rental and that might keep him from getting signed to a new contract.

Not if he wins a WS. Cubs fans will embrace him as a genius (even moreso than Sox fans do with KW) and there's no way new ownership would break that up. And frankly, I don't think there is any price that is too much to pay for a WS. And your opinion that Vitters + 2 would be "wayyyy" overpaying is just tha - your opinion. I disagree (just my opinion) because prospects are just that - prospects. To trade three, and then get 2 high draft picks back for Sabathia's FA departure is not an insane price for one of the top pitchers in baseball.

pearso66
07-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I doubt the Cubs would include Marmol, and the way he's pitching right now, the Indians might see a big red flag anyway. The Cubs need bullpen pitching, and trading Marmol would hurt them tremendously, but the way he's pitching now, something may be wrong. It could just be tired arm/dead arm period, but his last 3 outings have not been good at all, not even close. I think he's been overworked this season so far.

MCHSoxFan
07-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd rather see the Flubs give up little for Fatbathia and win with him than see Cleveland load up on good young talent that will hurt us for the next decade.

Yeah. I ****ing hate the Cubs. However, I want the White Sox to win the division more than having more reasons to talk **** about the Cubs.

Blueprint1
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Not if he wins a WS. Cubs fans will embrace him as a genius (even moreso than Sox fans do with KW) and there's no way new ownership would break that up. And frankly, I don't think there is any price that is too much to pay for a WS. And your opinion that Vitters + 2 would be "wayyyy" overpaying is just tha - your opinion. I disagree (just my opinion) because prospects are just that - prospects. To trade three, and then get 2 high draft picks back for Sabathia's FA departure is not an insane price for one of the top pitchers in baseball.

This is exactly why you are not going to get CC for nothing. The Indians know they are going to get draft picks when he leaves as a free agent. This is why they have to get more from you than they would from the draft picks. This is why many teams have not had firesales at the trade deadline lately. The teams get more when the guy leaves as a free agent.

TDog
07-05-2008, 07:09 PM
This is exactly why you are not going to get CC for nothing. The Indians know they are going to get draft picks when he leaves as a free agent. This is why they have to get more from you than they would from the draft picks. This is why many teams have not had firesales at the trade deadline lately. The teams get more when the guy leaves as a free agent.

And that's a good thing. Perennial winners should not be allowed, let alone encouraged, to plunder losers and also-rans for their talent. The teams that do a good job of building a winner on a budget often aren't in a position to "rent" the players who, really, have no business being factors in the race. One of the few positives I can see with the wild card is that it keeps more teams in the race. The trade deadline should be moved back to June 15.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2008, 11:05 PM
TDog:

I agree on moving the deadline back to where it was originally. Make it harder for G.M.'s to have to face the question, deal or no deal and what am I willing to give up with over half the season left.

Lip

It's Time
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
By next Monday, the Cubs won't even be in 1st place anymore, and the complete collapse will be in earnest. Therefore, they won't mortgage the farm for Sabathia at the trade deadline.

:whistle:

Jerry Seinfeld
07-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Booyas just reported that everything but the paperwork is done, he's going to Milwaukee.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Brewers traded Laporta, Zach Jackson(basically a AAAA Arm) Rob Bryson(low minors relief pitcher) and a PTBNL. Pretty much just Laporta for CC.

FielderJones
07-07-2008, 11:08 AM
http://sportsline.com/mlb/story/10888845