PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Bat Alexieie 4th?

Carolina Kenny
07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Dis guye het da balz hardt ebeary time witd powa.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh my! :smile:

Carolina Kenny
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Just starting the big weekend early and thinking of how awesome it is to have Alexei on the CWS just coming out of nowhere.

It must feel like how the fans felt when they first saw Minnie Minoso.

I am thunderstruck and speachless over TCQ and Alexei. It's truly a once in a lifetime experience. These two newcomers coming at the same is the first time in franchise history that two young guys this good and exciting have come around.

Live in the Moment and Enjoy This. It's gone way beyond special into the realm of the unreal.

TDog
07-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Alexei Ramirez could probably bat anywhere and spark the offense. The ease with which he plays defense leads me to wonder if he could probably play anywhere in the field and spark the defense. Last night, he was in the right place in the order to drive in the two big runs the Sox needed before two other newcomers went to work to score the winning run.

I never saw Minoso play, but I've wondered how Ramirez compares to him. The things Ramirez does really amaze me. My father was a Dodgers fan when Jackie Robinson came up and I heard how he changed the way major league baseball was played. Considering only baseball and not the social ramifications, I wonder if watching Ramirez isn't so different from watching Robinson 61 summers ago.

It's like out of nowhere something happens on the field to end the inning and as the Sox are running off the field you expect to hear Gene Honda come on the public address system and say, "Ladies and gentlemen, Alexei Ramirez can really play baseball."

jabrch
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
These two newcomers coming at the same is the first time in franchise history that two young guys this good and exciting have come around.

http://sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/whitesox95sl-3.jpg

Huh? We disagree with your assessment.

gobears1987
07-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Huh? We disagree with your assessment.Yep Frank and Robin were quite a duo.

Carolina Kenny
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I truly believe he could hit anywhere,anytime in the lineup.

Wake up in the middle of the night grab his bat and get a hit.

Carolina Kenny
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Yep Frank and Robin were quite a duo.

I had the same feeling about Frank, that we were watching a once in a lifetime player.

I love Robin, and he is the best Sox third baseman in franchise history. I just don't remember the same degree of excitment. More like a hugh sigh of relief that finally after so many years, we finally had a third baseman.

Robin also was in the Sox system and everybody knew about him before he came up. TCQ and Alexei are more like winning the lottery.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Huh? We disagree with your assessment.

True Dat! :cool:

Stringer
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I like him where he is at right now

Frontman
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
"I tell you Fiesty, I just don't get the fans sometimes. IF it ain't broke, why go fixin' it? MERCY!"
:hawk

rocky biddle
07-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I before E unless you're awesome.

Frontman
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I before E unless you're awesome.

"Why bring Swish into this?"

thomas35forever
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Alexei doesn't have the power or numbers to hit cleanup yet. I could see him in that position in the distant future though. He just needs to build some muscle (stay away from him Mr. Canseco).

TheVulture
07-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I recently started a job with a bunch of Cubs fans as coworkers. I've been telling them Alexei makes Sandberg look like DeRosa.:D:

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I recently started a job with a bunch of Cubs fans as coworkers. I've been telling them Alexei makes Sandberg look like DeRosa.:D:

I think Alexei is better defensively than Sandberg. There, I said it.

Sandberg didn't have a 3B arm, so he was moved to 2B. But he didn't have much range, so he had to dive for a lot of balls. Diving for balls looks good (just ask the Rowand fans) but it often means the fielder was either out of position, or was slow on his feet in getting to the ball. Offensively, Ryno hit more homers than other second basemen, but many of them landed in the Tru-Link basket and many of those were in the 364-foot power alleys at the Urinal. Those factors plus WGN and the Tribune hype machine turned an above-average player into a HOF-er.

Madscout
07-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Sandberg didn't have a 3B arm, so he was moved to 2B. But he didn't have much range, so he had to dive for a lot of balls. Diving for balls looks good (just ask the Rowand fans) but it often means the fielder was either out of position, or was slow on his feet in getting to the ball. Offensively, Ryno hit more homers than other second basemen, but many of them landed in the Tru-Link basket and many of those were in the 364-foot power alleys at the Urinal. Those factors plus WGN and the Tribune hype machine turned an above-average player into a HOF-er.
I agree with you. I remember watching him when I was little, and never thinking he was all that great. But this is coming from the kid who liked Andre Dawson (my dad's a cubs fan) because he swears he remembers a time when he got his afro stuck in the vines...:tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with you. I remember watching him when I was little, and never thinking he was all that great. But this is coming from the kid who liked Andre Dawson (my dad's a cubs fan) because he swears he remembers a time when he got his afro stuck in the vines...:tongue:

The other thing Sandberg had going for him was his general good looks and big smile: perfect for a team owned by a first class P.R. (propaganda) machine.

FedEx227
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM

Sandberg didn't have a 3B arm, so he was moved to 2B. But he didn't have much range, so he had to dive for a lot of balls. Diving for balls looks good (just ask the Rowand fans) but it often means the fielder was either out of position, or was slow on his feet in getting to the ball.

Absolutely. And this notion or idea has gotten worse now with "web gems" and Top 10s. If you dive... Top 10. If you're on Top 10, good defender. Bad, bad, bad.

A. Cavatica
07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
These two newcomers coming at the same is the first time in franchise history that two young guys this good and exciting have come around.

1963 - Gary Peters/Pete Ward were 1/2 in Rookie of the Year voting.

A. Cavatica
07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
1963 - Gary Peters/Pete Ward were 1/2 in Rookie of the Year voting.

Some other Sox duos who placed high in RoY voting:
1980 (Britt Burns/Rich Dotson)
1998 (Magglio Ordonez/Mike Caruso)
1999 (Carlos Lee/Chris Singleton)

Daver
07-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Some other Sox duos who placed high in RoY voting:
1980 (Britt Burns/Rich Dotson)
1998 (Magglio Ordonez/Mike Caruso)
1999 (Carlos Lee/Chris Singleton)

I saw Mike Caruso play today, even after moving to third he still isn't all that good. Talk about potential wasted by sheer laziness.

A. Cavatica
07-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I saw Mike Caruso play today, even after moving to third he still isn't all that good. Talk about potential wasted by sheer laziness.

According to Baseball Reference, the most similar player to the 21-year-old Caruso was Rod Carew. Maybe they based this on alphabetical order...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/carusmi01.shtml

soxfanreggie
07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I thought Caruso had a chance to be a special player, especially because you could rely on him to put the bat on the ball and not K; however, he pretty much wasted a lot of talent after his rookie year.

Some guys are lucky enough just to get a sip of the cup of coffee. This guy had a lot of potential and let it fizzle away.

He'll have a decent major league pension (although I believe all of them are and only get better and better), but I hope for his sake that he invested some of the money he made.

BeviBall!
07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
"I tell you Fiesty, I just don't get the fans sometimes. IF it ain't broke, why go fixin' it? MERCY!"

Pic first, then quote.

Thank you,

The Management

Oh, and by all means, bat Alexei fourth.