PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs Oakland/Sacramento As

jabrch
07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
The As just put Chavez on the shelf. Thomas and Sweeney are already out.

Who the hell is going to be in the lineup?

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Maybe the question could be phrased this way:

How will Sox pitchers fare against some of these no-name hitters who they have never previously seen? :tongue:

TDog
07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Their best hitting centerfielder (in my estimation), Denorfia, is on the DL, too. He is a no-name hitter who can be dangerous at the plate. Just because most Sox fans haven't heard of people doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. Davis, who was cut by the Giants in April, is speedy, and I expected more from him than he has shown this season.

Chavez hasn't been doing at all well this season. He certainly hasn't been doing as well as he did against the Sox when he was still a no-name.

The A's, this season, have been very good at manufacturing runs. They don't hit many home runs. That is one of the reasons they picked up Thomas. Cust seems to have come around from a slow start. Both he and Emil Brown have hit some home runs against the Sox. But through some injury adversity this year, the A's offense seems much better than the White Sox offense in scoring baserunners. I think this year's A's offense is stronger than last year's for that reason, but they have had to deal with a lot of injuries.

Of course, stats only tell you what players have done to date. Career stats may give you an idea of what some players will do over the course of a season. But stats don't tell you how players will perform in a a game, let alone a four-game series. In May, the Sox hit four homers off of Matt Cain in four innings in San Francisco. Last night Matt Cain shut out the Cubs for eight innings in San Francisco.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Their best hitting centerfielder (in my estimation), Denorfia, is on the DL, too. He is a no-name hitter who can be dangerous at the plate. Just because most Sox fans haven't heard of people doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

He's also hitting .260/.339/.300.

UofCSoxFan
07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
The As just put Chavez on the shelf. Thomas and Sweeney are already out.

Who the hell is going to be in the lineup?

Jack Hannahan and Murphy will split time at third. Both are struggling so far this year. My dad is friends with Hannahan's dad, so it would be kind of nice to see him get some time.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Jack Hannahan and Murphy will split time at third. Both are struggling so far this year. My dad is friends with Hannahan's dad, so it would be kind of nice to see him get some time.

Who is DHing? Isn't Cust in LF? I guess both Murphy and Hannahan will play all weekend.

That has to be considered good for us.

TDog
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
He's also hitting .260/.339/.300.

I know what he's hitting, but at the beginning of the season he was a hard line drive machine, often hitting balls right at people. He hasn't shown any power, but he has a chance to be a solid Lou Piniella-type of hitter. Whether he develops into a good hitter is another question.

sas1974
07-03-2008, 01:41 AM
There is another guy named Sweeney some of you may recall.

07-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Sacramento?:scratch: Soon to be Fremont maybe.

They always play us tough.

We got Justin Duchscherer, RHP (8-5, 1.91) (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=407113) tomorrow. If we can beat him thats Lee, CC and Duchsch all in a row. My prediction: Duchsch takes a 2-2 game and hands it to his bullpen for the White Sox to walk them off with someone else taking their turn tomorrow. Rich Harden, RHP (5-0, 2.25) (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425848) on Sunday. Joe Blanton, RHP (4-11, 4.97) (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=430599) and Greg Smith, LHP (5-6, 3.44) (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=460105) in the middle. Could be some tough games.

scarsofthumper
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
It'll be nice for me since former Schaumburg Flyers player Brad Ziegler has been pitching relief for the A's. Even got a win against the Angels.

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Yea, with this cold front going thru tomorrow will be more of a pitchers park.
I just hope Javy comes ready to play...do we miss Harden? I thought he was going sunday. Great..he is very tough.l

russ99
07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
My concern with Blanton and Buerhle going for a 6pm start on the 4th, will it be dark enough for fireworks when the game's over? :D:

Duchscherer will be tough, but I think we can beat the other three guys if we get solid starts from our guys.

doublem23
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I know what he's hitting, but at the beginning of the season he was a hard line drive machine, often hitting balls right at people. He hasn't shown any power, but he has a chance to be a solid Lou Piniella-type of hitter. Whether he develops into a good hitter is another question.

Fair enough, I know what you're saying about him flying under the radar, but it's not like he's been giving anyone east of I-5 any reason to know who he is.

ElevenUp
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
My concern with Blanton and Buerhle going for a 6pm start on the 4th, will it be dark enough for fireworks when the game's over? :D:

Duchscherer will be tough, but I think we can beat the other three guys if we get solid starts from our guys.

:redneck I was thinking the exact same thing! That game could be done around 8 O'Clock.

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Just to clarify...Harden will go on sunday for the A's and Stone just said that he is probably the best pitcher going in MLB right now. ERA of 2.25
Duscherer is at 1.91...and really tough on right-handed hitters.
So we do need our leftys..Thome,AJ,Swish and Wise to come thru tonite.
This is where Wise really comes in handy and why I hope they find a way to keep him around...he might help scratch out a winning run or two this weekend as the Sox face 2 tough right handed pitchers in Duscherer,Blanton and Harden...Smith? well, we saw how he shut out the sox earlier..just hope he is not on,I guess.

The A's have the edge in ERA in three of the four matchups but they have lost 4 of 5 so it looks like their bats are cool right now. Javy will have a strong NE wind at his back tonite and homers will be hard to come by so he needs to give us a great outing...GO SOX!!

The Immigrant
07-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Just to clarify...Harden will go on sunday for the A's and Stone just said that he is probably the best pitcher going in MLB right now.

Harden only lasted five innings on Tuesday and was complaining of arm fatigue after the game. Don't be surprised if we don't see him on Sunday.

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I sincerely hope you are right and harden is out. Stone did say he is very injury prone.

TDog
07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Sacramento?:scratch: Soon to be Fremont maybe.

They always play us tough. ...

If there is any confustion, the reference is to the Sacramento River Cats players coming up to play for the Oakland A's.

Technically, the A's are in a rebuilding year. They came into the season with the announcers saying "the kids can play." But they are getting great pitching and timely hitting.

jabrch
07-03-2008, 11:41 PM
If there is any confustion, the reference is to the Sacramento River Cats players coming up to play for the Oakland A's.

That was my point - thanks...

And those Sacramento River Cats were good enough to beat us today. Kudos to them.

TDog
07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
That was my point - thanks...

And those Sacramento River Cats were good enough to beat us today. Kudos to them.

I didn't see the game. I was driving down to Fresno and switching among radio stations in Modesto, Merced and Fresno, I caught all but the ninth inning, enough to tell me that it was old school A's that won Thursday night -- pitching and home runs. I'm not sure how many should-be River Casts contributed.

If I had stayed home, I could have seen the end of the game on television. They didn't pick up the broadcast in Modesto until the Giants game ended. The same goes for tonight, but the Giants might be over by the time the A's-Sox game starts.