PDA

View Full Version : If we're going to talk ROY - let's go MVP

PennStater98r
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
We're half way through - and I believe that Quentin is the MVP of the AL right now. Now, I know that Hamilton has better numbers and is a Triple Crown threat - and I'd even say that if Hamilton gets it - let's give him MVP. However, the fact is that he doesn't have hold the triple crown right now - and probably won't at the end of the season.

Quentin is a key to success on the White Sox. I believe he's leading the league this year with Game Winning RBI (was on Sunday's game), so I ask the questions: Why not Quentin? He is playing for a first place club!

I know there's a lot of baseball to still be played. However, it is past the midpoint of the season and a fun topic. Weigh your pros and cons for Quention and suggest other contenders.

My list goes like this:

Quentin
Hamilton
Manny
Drew

doublem23
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Quentin doesn't play for the Sawx or Yankees therefore isn't worthy of the AL MVP. :cool:

The Immigrant
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I would also add Jermaine Dye to the MVP discussion.

PennStater98r
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Duh - what was I thinking. You're really right - he's been gangbusters lately.

Is Cy Young right now Justin DurshereereerererereaereacreLAAerer?

btrain929
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM

JD Drew? No.

If Manny is in it, then yes JD is in it too. Hamilton is the clear-cut front-runner right now. I'd also give some consideration to Ian Kinsler. He is having a great all-around season with avg, power, sb's, etc.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Duh - what was I thinking. You're really right - he's been gangbusters lately.

All he has right now is a low ERA. 8-5 good, but isn't spectacular. Cy Young right now would have to be Cliff Lee I'd imagine with a combination of wins on a bad team, K's, and ERA.

JorgeFabregas
07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Rangers have three guys who deserve consideration.

JD Drew isn't a bad pick. A-Rod will be up there once he gets more playing time.

Quentin and Dye should be in the running as well.

PennStater98r
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
JD Drew? No.

If Manny is in it, then yes JD is in it too. Hamilton is the clear-cut front-runner right now. I'd also give some consideration to Ian Kinsler. He is having a great all-around season with avg, power, sb's, etc.

How would Drew not be in consideration. He's on a team in contention with: .299/.409/.570, 16 or 17 HR and 50+ RBI.

I just believe that MVP is more about what you do for your team to put them in position to make the playoffs!

PennStater98r
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
All he has right now is a low ERA. 8-5 good, but isn't spectacular. Cy Young right now would have to be Cliff Lee I'd imagine with a combination of wins on a bad team, K's, and ERA.

Oh - I know - I just thought has name would be fun to exaggerate. I think the real contenders right now are Saunders, Lee, Roy Halladay and Justin D.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh - I know - I just thought has name would be fun to exaggerate. I think the real contenders right now are Saunders, Lee, Roy Halladay and Justin D.

Hahaha, touche'.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 11:37 AM
How would Drew not be in consideration. He's on a team in contention with: .299/.409/.570, 16 or 17 HR and 50+ RBI.

I just believe that MVP is more about what you do for your team to put them in position to make the playoffs!

Eh, I guess since I'm thinking more long-term. Since the MVP isn't given out in July, I know in my heart of hearts JD can't keep that up for a whole season, where I believe guys like JD, Hamilton, Manny, etc can. Quentin I don't think will be in the MVP picture because I don't think he'll keep up those power numbers.

Shoeless_Jim
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Quentin doesn't play for the Sawx or Yankees therefore isn't worthy of the AL MVP. :cool:

haha sad but true

hi im skot
07-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Justin Morneau is confused by this statement.

DEATH TO THE EAST-COAST BIAS, etc etc

TDog
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM

I live in A's country, and a lot of fans don't even consider him their best starter. At the end of the season, writers look at big winners over pitchers with low ERAs, even if the big winners get occasional run support (see Steve Stone, 1980, for the Orioles who won 100 games and missed the postseason.)

The problem with the postseason awards is that not all of the writers are using the same standards or have the same definition of the award. Some cast votes for MVP based on who put up the bigger numbers (a sort of player of the year thing). Some vote according to who meant the most to a division winner, which is probably close to how I would vote.

Right now, I believe Jermaine Dye is the Sox MVP, but the heroes are many on teams with great seasons, and there isn't just one. Often Carlos Quentin is the Sox MVP. Neither were MVPs last night. Last night Alexei Ramirez was the MVP.

Some voting writers believe the Rookie of the Year should be the rookie with the most potential to be a future star. Some believe it should be the rookie who put up the best numbers. Sometimes the two are one in the same, but when you see people like Ted Sizemore and Ozzie Guillen winning in some years and Richie (Dick when he was the MVP) Allen Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire winning in other years, you see that "rookie of the year" doesn't mean the same thing every year.

Watching Alexei Ramirez play baseball, however, I think I would have to vote for him as rookei of the year.

hi im skot
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Watching Alexei Ramirez play baseball, however, I think I would have to vote for him as rookei of the year.

I see what you did there...and I like it.

SoxNation05
07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Watching Alexei Ramirez play baseball, however, I think I would have to vote for him as rookei of the year.[/quote]
I think that Longoria will win easily just because of the great story Tampa is.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I think that Longoria will win easily just because of the great story Tampa is.[/quote]

There's also something to be said for a kid who was widely proclaimed to be the next great superstar to thrive despite the hype. A lot of us were excited about Alexei Ramirez when this season started, but he still isn't much more than a small blip on the national radar.

Stringer
07-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Quentin stand very little chance of winning the MVP, but I think Alexei has a great shot at ROY considering the defensive plays he makes night in and night out

ilsox7
07-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Quentin stand very little chance of winning the MVP, but I think Alexei has a great shot at ROY considering the defensive plays he makes night in and night out

If TCQ goes 40/115 on a Division champion, he will be in the top 3 of the MVP voting, no doubt.