PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed

Rockabilly
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
That Frank Thomas will be missing this weekend series.. I was hoping to see the Big Hurt play this weekend at the Cell, since this will probably be his last year...

HartmanSox
07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure I mind.

stl_sox_fan
07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
The dude is 79 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Thomas_%28NL_baseball_player%29)years old, maybe he doesn't want to travel.

Actually I don't mind either, I seem to remember one of his last visits to the Cell in an A's uniform. Not so good.....

salty99
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
He's not playing but there is a good chance he will be here.

Foulke You
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
From a Sox perspective, having Frank sit the series is a good thing for us. I love the Big Hurt but we all know he loves hitting in our park and has done the most damage in his career there.

Tragg
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure I mind.
I'm sure I don't mind.

Rockabilly
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
hopefully sometime within the next few years the Sox will retired his #..

btrain929
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
He's not playing but there is a good chance he will be here.

I heard he's rehabbing in Vegas until the All-Star break. I'd be very surprised if he was there.

areilly
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
I was hoping the Sox would re-sign him next year. Then I remembered next year isn't 1998.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I hope to next see Frank Thomas when I go to Cooperstown. I'm really not disappointed that our guys won't have to pitch to him. The more we see of Hannahan and Cust instead of Sweeney and Frank, the better for the Sox.

TDog
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I was a big Frank Thomas fan when he played for the Sox. I never liked seeing him play in another uniform. I didn't like seeing him play against the Sox. I especially didn't like seeing him do well against the Sox.

I get some Oakland A's games on local television. I don't particularly think Frank Thomas looks good in green and gold. He hasn't played in a while. I didn't expect him to be out as long as he has, and it wouldn't surprise me if his career is over.

The A's were set up for a Sox-killing lineup, with Frank Thomas, Mike Sweeney and Emil Brown, but Thomas and Sweeney are on the disabled list. I won't be disappointed not to see eithter in the lineup.

On the plus side, Sox fans won't be cheering against the Sox because Frank Thomas comes up.

salty99
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I heard he's rehabbing in Vegas until the All-Star break. I'd be very surprised if he was there.

You heard wrong. He was at Anaheim/LA last night.

hawkjt
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes, I am glad Frank is out. The A's are tough enough to beat with that MLB leading pitching staff without him. And Brown just crushes sox pitching.
Smith,Blanton,harden and Duscherereerer are more than enough challenge.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
The A's are tough enough to beat with that MLB leading pitching staff without him.

Oakland - HOME
ERA - 3.03
WHIP - 1.17

Oakland - ROAD
ERA - 3.98
WHIP - 1.31

That's a full run per game difference.

FWIW
Sox - HOME
ERA - 3.24
WHIP - 1.18

Sox - ROAD
ERA - 3.52
WHIP - 1.30

So - in a much more hitter friendly home park than the average of their road parks, the Sox have a 3.24 ERA which is only .21 RPG worse than Oakland in what is the most pitcher friendly AL park. On the Road the Sox are .18 runs WORSE than our HOME ERA and a half of a run better than Oakland's road record.

I wouldn't trade our pitching staff for Oakland's. Would you?

hawkjt
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Harden missed some time at the beginning of the year,I believe. He is at 2.45 era since coming back. I think he has better ''stuff'' than any of our starters.
Duschererere is a converted bullpen guy so jury is out on him on pitching 200+ innings. Smith looked great vs the sox but maybe not as good elsewhere. Blanton is ok..

No, I would not trade staffs...but they are pretty good.

Zisk77
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm gald Frank won't be playing. No conflict of interest then for me. I hated it when Baines played against us too.

hose
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
The Big Hurt ----glad he wont be hurting us this weekend.

tlebar318
07-04-2008, 09:57 AM

He's in Chicago..They showed him in uniform on the Oakland bench last night...I now live in Orlando and all they had was the Oakland TV feed on Directv for me to watch the game last night. Man, Duane Kuiper is boring as an announcer! Anyhow, love Frank but don't need him putting the "Hurt" on the Sox this weekend. Get well soon.

TDog
07-04-2008, 06:23 PM
H... Man, Duane Kuiper is boring as an announcer! Anyhow, love Frank but don't need him putting the "Hurt" on the Sox this weekend. Get well soon.

Duane Kuiper does the Giants games with Mike Krukow. I don't think he's so bad.