PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Weaver To The Sox?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-08-2002, 01:27 AM
I would like this deal a lot! But, who do we send to Detroit? :?:

Ooops I forgot the link, here goes:
Here's the Story!!!!! (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/columns/20020507/tigerspreparedtoignitefi.html)

doublem23
05-08-2002, 01:34 AM
Granted, my baseball memory only extends back to about 1992, but I don't know how much clubs like to make deals within its own division.

That, and I don't think Weaver would really want to play for us... I think we're better off getting someone else.

But, then again, it's 1:30 AM, I'm madly typing a 3,000-word research paper on Mark Twain that I put off until about 10 hours before it was due, so what good is my opinion anyway? :smile:

WinningUgly!
05-08-2002, 01:38 AM
The final two years might be too costly for a pitcher who is 35-47 lifetime, but Weaver could prove a perfect No. 2 starter behind Freddy Garcia for the Mariners or a quality No. 3 starter behind Mark Buehrle and Todd Ritchie with the White Sox.

Buehrle, Ritchie, Weaver & Garland? Sounds like a pretty good starting staff to me. :D:

Unregistered
05-08-2002, 01:41 AM
Weaver's always been a good competitor and according to the article it seems like Dave Dombrowski is looking to dump all of their salary for quality minor leaguers–(ask the Pirates if we have any of those), so i dont think us being in the same division as them would be a problem in this situation. He would be an excellent #3. But given Weaver's history with our team, im not so sure he'd be too gung-ho about pitching for us...

Bmr31
05-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Weaver's always been a good competitor and according to the article it seems like Dave Dombrowski is looking to dump all of their salary for quality minor leaguers–(ask the Pirates if we have any of those), so i dont think us being in the same division as them would be a problem in this situation. He would be an excellent #3. But given Weaver's history with our team, im not so sure he'd be too gung-ho about pitching for us...

Dont fool yourself, weaver would come here in a heartbeat. Im sure he likes to win, too. Id say giving up someone like carlos and a prospect would be a good deal for us....Im a Jeff Weaver fan. A three man rotation of buehrle ritchie and weaver would give us a much better chance of advancing , come october.

RedPinStripes
05-08-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Dont fool yourself, weaver would come here in a heartbeat. Im sure he likes to win, too. Id say giving up someone like carlos and a prospect would be a good deal for us....Im a Jeff Weaver fan. A three man rotation of buehrle ritchie and weaver would give us a much better chance of advancing , come october.

Woah! I agree eventhough i'm not a weaver fan. I am a fan of anyone who can help this team though and Weaver would definatly not hurt us. I just doubt KW would trade within our division. Lee and a prospect would be nice for weaver.

Bmr31
05-08-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Woah! I agree eventhough i'm not a weaver fan. I am a fan of anyone who can help this team though and Weaver would definatly not hurt us. I just doubt KW would trade within our division. Lee and a prospect would be nice for weaver.

I doubt the tigers would take that.....b ut hey thats why im not making the big bucks like KW.

jklm
05-08-2002, 03:20 AM
Actually, Detroit traded Todd Jones to Minnesota last season.

Burly, Ritchie and Weaver? Now that is a rotation...

MisterB
05-08-2002, 03:56 AM
Id say giving up someone like carlos and a prospect would be a good deal for us....Im a Jeff Weaver fan. A three man rotation of buehrle ritchie and weaver would give us a much better chance of advancing , come october.

Well, yes and no. Although I'd prefer Weaver as a #3 over Wright or Garland, that still leaves Ritchie as our oldest, most experienced starter. Out of that top 3 Buehrle is the only one with any postseason experience, and that's only 1/3 of an inning pitched. And though they would stack up fairly well against Oakland or Seattle's top 3, do they stack up against Clemens, Pettitte and Mussina? The 2000 postseason showed us that even a league-leading offense can get shut down in a short series, so the pitching matchups better be good. Sad to say, but we probably need a pitcher that can be what Boomer Wells was supposed to be for us last year - a quality, proven veteran with postseason experience. But that kind of pitcher would likely cost us a lot of talent to get in trade, and JR wouldn't allow the extra salary. :(: Getting Weaver would probably secure the division for us this year, but getting us further in the playoffs...tough to say.

34rancher
05-08-2002, 07:22 AM
I am not sure that he would play for us given the brawl incidents and the fact that we draftd him, but would not bow down to his salary demands. I like the concpt, but I am not sure that he would fit into the team chemistry.

Pete Ward
05-08-2002, 07:44 AM
He'd play here. He's not an idiot. He wants to win. So what if the Sox drafted him, he got his money and now the Sox would have to pay it.

I think Det would want Lee and 2 pitching prospects. Det then would trade Higgenson to open LF for Lee.

Kilroy
05-08-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

...do they stack up against Clemens, Pettitte and Mussina?

Aaaahhhh screw the Yankees. The Sox have shown that they can get to Pettitte and they usually beat Mussina like a drum. I'll take my lumps w/Clemens and then beat up the others.

If there's any way the Sox can get Jeff Weaver, they should do it.

Soxboyrob
05-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Buehrle, Ritchie, Weaver & Garland? Sounds like a pretty good starting staff to me. :D:

You forgot Wright. I feel a lot more comfortable w/ Wright on the mound than Garland.

34 Inch Stick
05-08-2002, 09:34 AM
It is becoming increasingly apparent that the Sox will need another starter. Glover may end up being an acceptable starter but he has always been at his best out of the pen. The good thing is that we will probably be able to hold out on a trade for a while and will never be desperate.

I like Jeff Weaver. Then we can trade for Hill from the Cubs and Seay from the Devil Rays and reacquire all of our unsigned draft picks.

Randar68
05-08-2002, 10:10 AM

1) He'd come here because he's under contract and does not have a no-trade clause.
2) The contract dispute after drafting Weaver in 96 (if I recall correctly) was very bitter and you know how we are with Scot Boras clients
3) Weaver has a clear distaste for the Sox and I'm not so sure he fits well, chemistry-wise
4) I have heard stories about Weaver being shoved into a locker by Bobby Higginson out of anger from more than one source. Doesn't appear to be a very good teammate
5) In the final 2 years of his current 4-year deal, he makes 6+ and 9+ million respectively, do we think we're willing to take that salary on or would we do the deal with the intent to trade him a couple years down the road when some of our young guns emerge more (Malone, Rauch with Buehrle, Garland, Wright)

While I am not a big fan, he is a bulldog and always pitches great against us (but usually still loses). He would be a good #3 for us, but what would we have to give up and go up against for the next 10 years?

Randar68
05-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
It is becoming increasingly apparent that the Sox will need another starter. Glover may end up being an acceptable starter but he has always been at his best out of the pen. The good thing is that we will probably be able to hold out on a trade for a while and will never be desperate.

I like Jeff Weaver. Then we can trade for Hill from the Cubs and Seay from the Devil Rays and reacquire all of our unsigned draft picks.

Maybe we can re-draft Tony Ritchie, Jon Zeringue and Jay Mattox too!

34 Inch Stick
05-08-2002, 12:35 PM
And of course we would have to get Mike Cameron back. We have been nothing since the trade of Cameron.

kermittheefrog
05-08-2002, 12:56 PM
I'd love to see the Sox land Weaver. I think he would emerge as a top of the rotation starter if you give him a defense that is more than a group of utility players and converted catchers. I wouldn't have a problem with us sending them Lee and Malone.

34 Inch Stick
05-08-2002, 12:58 PM
I think you'd see a 17 game winner in Weaver. How much do you think Burhle would ask for with Weaver on the team?

Bmr31
05-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd love to see the Sox land Weaver. I think he would emerge as a top of the rotation starter if you give him a defense that is more than a group of utility players and converted catchers. I wouldn't have a problem with us sending them Lee and Malone.

okay lets do it! :)

jklm
05-08-2002, 01:08 PM
How much is fair for Burly?

I will sign him for ~11M for 4 years with incentives that could double that amount.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/3219943.htm

Zito gets four-year extension
A's lock up another young star for the long term; deal includes a club option for 2006 season

On Tuesday, the A's announced that the left-handed pitcher has agreed to a contract extension through the 2005 season with a club option for 2006. The deal is worth an estimated $9.3 million, although incentives could nearly double that amount.

Before Tuesday night's game against the Red Sox, Zito said he hadn't even discussed the numbers yet with his agent, Arn Tellem. "I have as many clothes as I can wear, a truck and a nice place to live," he said.

"Right now, it's just a piece of paper that has been signed. I just want to go about my business."

A's general manager Billy Beane didn't want to offer an opinion why a 23-year-old wouldn't be more interested in checking out all the finer details of his new contract. "I don't even want to pretend to know what kind of guy Barry is," said Beane. "But he might be able to get a bigger truck."

The A's move on Tuesday secured another of their young stars for a long period, along with securing the core of their pitching rotation. Pitchers Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder are signed through 2005. "It's just a good feeling knowing that your starting rotation is going to be here, will continue to grow together and do some special things," A's manager Art Howe said.

CubKilla
05-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I am not sure that he would play for us given the brawl incidents and the fact that we draftd him, but would not bow down to his salary demands. I like the concpt, but I am not sure that he would fit into the team chemistry.

Weaver, sometime last year, said he'd rather retire than play for the White Sox. But, if he's a professional (and most ball players are), he'd suit up with a winner given the right situation.

WinningUgly!
05-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Weaver, sometime last year, said he'd rather retire than play for the White Sox. But, if he's a professional (and most ball players are), he'd suit up with a winner given the right situation.

Sure sounds like a Boras guy. :D:

RedPinStripes
05-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Sure sounds like a Boras guy. :D:

Is Boras his agent? We'll never get him here.

Clarkdog
05-08-2002, 02:05 PM
My god! At least make an offer and try and make a deal.

Weaver, regardless of the fact that he is a prick, has great stuff. Provided he keeps the ball down.

I think that Weaver's problem is that he doesn't play for a team that provides him with any consistent run support, and since he can be such a head case, it makes him feel that he has to be perfect in order for the Tigers to win. Since he's wound so tight anyway, that's a recipe for disaster. If Weaver gets the 6.3 runs/game that the Sox are scoring in 2002, he could have been a 20+ game winner last year. Knowing that offense is there must have a calming effect on a pitcher.

Playing for the Sox, he'll know they'll score runs. As for his attitude, I think he's a gamer and wants to win and win badly, I think that's why he an Higginson may have come to blows, because he is the same way. To say he would never play for the Sox is stupid (unless he's been brainwashed by Boras). The Sox are winning, who wouldn't want to play for a winner? And he could be the one piece that could get the Sox over the top.

As for his contract, the article states this is the first year of his four year deal, at 2.4M, and then at 4.1M in '03. Keep him through '03, and look to deal him in the '03 winter meetingfor prospects, someone will take the 6.25M hit in '04 (Yankees) if he delivers wins for the Sox. By then the farm hands will be up and ready. We hope.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Weaver could think of his future too. his numbers will be much better with a decent defense and run support, therefore 2 years down the road him and borass will be much richer.

speaking of trading in the division

texas traded carlos pena to oakland and he is playing very well, but if you have palmero at first you dont need him. trading lee could open a spot for liefer/borchard/rowand to play this year.