PDA

View Full Version : Beckham, Danks and Long

Rockabilly
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Now that the Sox have signed Upchurch. I'm really hoping that we can sign these 3 guys and our future with these 4 guys will be very solid....

UofCSoxFan
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
In the White Sox blog yesterday, they mention that Danks was at USCF yesterday taking BP with Konerko and Ozney Guillen. Sounds promising. The two line blurb on it made it sound like they are pretty confident Danks will sign, although it would be later in the summer.

Rockabilly
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
the trib mentions that the sox will be meeting with Kyle Long very soon.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty confident the Sox will sign Beckham and Danks, but I'm not expectign them to sign Long, unless they're prepared to pay good money for him, I think he'll be heading to FSU.

Britt Burns
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty confident the Sox will sign Beckham and Danks, but I'm not expectign them to sign Long, unless they're prepared to pay good money for him, I think he'll be heading to FSU.

I don't think all the money in the world will keep Long away from FSU...I hope I'm wrong but I can't see it happening.

We wll get Beckham and danks, count on it.

Rockabilly
07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
it's a very slim chance that we sign Long but with the Sox meeting him in a few days gives me hope that something can get done ..

He is probably looking for 1st round money an if our scouts think he is that dam good than why not give it to him

doublem23
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
He is probably looking for 1st round money an if our scouts think he is that dam good than why not give it to him

I agree... Beckham, Danks, and Long would be one heck of a draft class, but that's easy for me to say since I don't sign the checks. :redface:

jcw218
07-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Good article about Danks on whitesox.com. Here is the link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080701&content_id=3042536&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws). In short, Danks states that he wants to get going as soon as possible and know where he is going to be playing.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree - nearly no chance on Long. Although we know his family has an affinity for Silver and Black..

Weaver is a kid we have a shot at - if we really want to pay him big money. If not, he goes to a JC next year and hopes to get drafted somewhere in the top 10 rounds or better.

Even if it doesn't work out with Long, maybe this sets groundwork to redraft him after his Jr. year.

Domeshot17
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Yah, I think I read it on this board, something about when we drafted Long he sent someone a text message that just said 'Noles or something. He isn't coming here unless we go extremely over slot.

Maybe Kenny will come to his senses and trade Uribe and used the money saved to sign some of these kids. I think to rebuild the farm, we need a couple drafts in a row of high spending to lock up the tough signs.

JohnTucker0814
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't understand why we would waste a draft pick if we had no shot to sign them? We've not been in the top 10 in the draft in over 10 years right? So we've saved a **** load of money not having to pay big money for the draft... why not draft some of these guys that want 1st round money to go pro? If they are going to come out in the 1st round in 2 years, whats the difference? Take your chance on him right now, let your MAJOR LEAGUE coaches help them for the 2 years they would have been in college and now after 2 years you've got a 1st round draft pick that you've already paid for... seems like the quickest way to stock your farm system; take a guy that project to be headed to college but has 1st round talent in the 10th round... pay him like he was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, develop him for 2 years like he is in college and move on! If the Sox would do this on an occasion when we've depleted our farm system, things would be looking up a lot quicker!

UofCSoxFan
07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't understand why we would waste a draft pick if we had no shot to sign them? We've not been in the top 10 in the draft in over 10 years right? So we've saved a **** load of money not having to pay big money for the draft... why not draft some of these guys that want 1st round money to go pro? If they are going to come out in the 1st round in 2 years, whats the difference? Take your chance on him right now, let your MAJOR LEAGUE coaches help them for the 2 years they would have been in college and now after 2 years you've got a 1st round draft pick that you've already paid for... seems like the quickest way to stock your farm system; take a guy that project to be headed to college but has 1st round talent in the 10th round... pay him like he was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, develop him for 2 years like he is in college and move on! If the Sox would do this on an occasion when we've depleted our farm system, things would be looking up a lot quicker!

Well it'd be the MINOR LEAGUE coaches that would develop these players. Thing is, there is extraordinary pressure by the league and by other owners to not go above slot on these deals. Yes, this is anticompetitive, this is collusion, this is illegal, but it's also a reality. Sure, teams go over from time to time, but to do it on multiple picks would be pushing it...this was the issue with J.D. Drew and the Phillies. Reinsdorf isn't one to go against the league.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I know that JR actually defying MLB "suggestions (mandates)" is not likely, but realistically, what would the MLB do to an organization if they started routinely paying "over slot" money to draft picks?

Rockabilly
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Lets say the Sox signed all 3..

Who will be the top 5 prospects in our minor league system

JohnTucker0814
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Well it'd be the MINOR LEAGUE coaches that would develop these players. Thing is, there is extraordinary pressure by the league and by other owners to not go above slot on these deals. Yes, this is anticompetitive, this is collusion, this is illegal, but it's also a reality. Sure, teams go over from time to time, but to do it on multiple picks would be pushing it...this was the issue with J.D. Drew and the Phillies. Reinsdorf isn't one to go against the league.

Just because they are working in the minor leagues developing players does not mean they are not MAJOR LEAGUE coaches developing these players? Why would you have a MAJOR LEAGUE coach "developing" players while they are playing in the big show? No, you have those guys down in the minors getting players ready for the majors.

Domeshot17
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Lets say the Sox signed all 3..

Who will be the top 5 prospects in our minor league system

if we are lucky

1 Beckham
2 Poreda
3 Broadway
4 O'niel
5 Long

I personally am not in love with Danks. He dropped because he showed NO power in college and only a decent ability to hit for average. .324 isn't that great of a college batting average. He has great speed and a decent arm, but should project more of a leadoff hitter now, or a Ryan Sweeney with better speed.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 07:03 PM
if we are lucky

1 Beckham
2 Poreda
3 Broadway
4 O'niel
5 Long

No Fields?

KRS1
07-02-2008, 07:06 PM
No Fields?

Too many MLB at bats to be considered a prospect by any publications standards.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Too many MLB at bats to be considered a prospect by any publications standards.

Gotcha.

BadBobbyJenks
07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Do you guys think Broadway is going to be an impact player?

Daver
07-02-2008, 08:07 PM

If fourth or fifth starter = impact player, sure.

Domeshot17
07-02-2008, 09:17 PM

he is mostly there because our system is aweful. That said, I think he could be a Jon Garland type SP. 200 IP mid to high 4 era, as many wins as his offense gives him. Decent back end, and by Sox fans standards, a bonafide number 1!

UofCSoxFan
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Just because they are working in the minor leagues developing players does not mean they are not MAJOR LEAGUE coaches developing these players? Why would you have a MAJOR LEAGUE coach "developing" players while they are playing in the big show? No, you have those guys down in the minors getting players ready for the majors.

What?

If you coach in the minor leagues, you are a minor league coach. If you coach in the major leagues you are a major league coach. Or am I missing something?

Outside of spring training, Greg Walker, Ozzie, Cora, Coop, etc...will not see these guys at all while they are "in their college years"

I'm not saying coaches in the minor leagues don't know the game or don't know how to teach it; if anything they may be better instructors than the major league guys. I'd venture to guess they know more than 95% of the college coaches out there.

But again, aren't people who coach in the minor leagues, by definition minor league coaches?

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
If fourth or fifth starter = impact player, sure.

See the difference between the 2005 and 2008 versions of the Sox versus say, the 2003 and 2004 versions to make sure.

Domeshot17
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
What?

If you coach in the minor leagues, you are a minor league coach. If you coach in the major leagues you are a major league coach. Or am I missing something?

Outside of spring training, Greg Walker, Ozzie, Cora, Coop, etc...will not see these guys at all while they are "in their college years"

I'm not saying coaches in the minor leagues don't know the game or don't know how to teach it; if anything they may be better instructors than the major league guys. I'd venture to guess they know more than 95% of the college coaches out there.

But again, aren't people who coach in the minor leagues, by definition minor league coaches?

Well, the definition and technical stuff Im not going to get involved in, but most would argue kids get better coaching at bigger d1 schools than the minor leagues. Some college baseball coaches make a nice chunk of change compared to the minor league coaches. You also get the coaches who can coach what they know and pass it on to their players instead of the minor league coaches trying to coach team philosophy. I would go so far as to say our coaches and our philosophy is a huge reason why we don't develop prospects well.

Flight #24
07-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I have no idea beyond what I've read how good these 3 guys are. But the smart teams with decent to great resources have been honing in on guys who slide because they'll need over-slot contracts and leveraging those resources to acquire those kids. If the Sox believe in Long and go over slot for him, I would be in favor of that. That would be an excellent use IMO of the money they didn't end up spending on the likes of Hunter, MCabrera, etc. (Based on Kenny's plan of signing Hunter and trading for Miggy).

That's why I love them drafting Danks, apparently with the intention of going over slot. IMO in the current market, stars will be extremely hard to find in FA - they'll get either resigned or dealt to teams that can/will resign them. And those deals will require high-ceiling guys which increases the importance of the draft and international scouting even more.