PDA

View Full Version : New Marlins Stadium Moving Forward

Viva Medias B's
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Despite a lawsuit by Norman Braman challenging the public funding of a new ballpark for the Florida Marlins, the process for getting the new stadium built continues. The plan is to build the new ballpark on the site where the Orange Bowl once stood.

Link (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080630&content_id=3033603&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

whitesox901
07-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm glad, its was hoping they would stay in Florida

RockRiversoxfan
07-09-2008, 01:39 AM
that stadium is a mence to chicago sports. the bears lost the superbowl there. the orange bowl was the fenway park of football.

DSpivack
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
that stadium is a mence to chicago sports. the bears lost the superbowl there. the orange bowl was the fenway park of football.

Umm, what? The Bears lost the Superbowl in Dolphins Stadium, not the Orange Bowl.

RockRiversoxfan
07-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Umm, what? The Bears lost the Superbowl in Dolphins Stadium, not the Orange Bowl.

I was refering to dolphins stadium.

thomas35forever
11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Looks like the stadium will be built in 2012. Would've been built in 2011, but a lawsuit pushed the date back.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081125&content_id=3691803&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

eriqjaffe
11-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Umm, what? The Bears lost the Superbowl in Dolphins Stadium, not the Orange Bowl.But the '85 Bears suffered their only loss of the season in the Orange Bowl!

ChiSoxFan81
11-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Good. The day that baseball games no longer have to be played in football stadiums will be a great one. The Twins are almost out of the Baggie Dome, and if the Marlins get their stadium, that leaves only Oakland, who should be moving in a few years as well.

SaltyPretzel
11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
that leaves only Oakland, who should be moving in a few years as well.

The Blue Jays also.

ChiSoxFan81
11-26-2008, 11:46 AM
The Blue Jays also.

I wasn't sure if they played football in the Rogers Centre or not. If so, it still isn't that ill-suited for baseball. Tampa's stadium is also a multi-purpose venue, but they're trying to get a stadium too, and again, it isn't absolutely horrible for baseball (although it's not great either).

SaltyPretzel
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I wasn't sure if they played football in the Rogers Centre or not. If so, it still isn't that ill-suited for baseball. Tampa's stadium is also a multi-purpose venue, but they're trying to get a stadium too, and again, it isn't absolutely horrible for baseball (although it's not great either).

Tampa wouldn't be as bad if the weather outside wasn't perfect for baseball as it usually is.

Red Barchetta
11-26-2008, 07:42 PM
The Florida teams have done a lot better than other regions 3 World Series appearances and two World Series wins in 10 years. However, both teams have played in horrible baseball conditions (Football Stadium and Dome).

It will be interesting to see if the new retractable roof solution will work in attracting more fans. I expect success similar to Arizona, however like Arizona, they had a hard time filling to capacity the last few years due to the large amount of transplants for the region and the marketing challenges each team has in trying to recruit fans from other teams (like me living 30 miles from the Rays).

PalehosePlanet
11-26-2008, 08:13 PM
If you build it they still won't come.

soxrepublican
11-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Tampa wouldn't be as bad if the weather outside wasn't perfect for baseball as it usually is.

Accually, a indoor stadium is almost nessasary in Tampa because it is so hot. The proposals in for a new stadium for the Rays have come to a halt because the city wouldnt come up with the dough to build a roof for the new stadium.

cws05champ
11-26-2008, 11:13 PM
The Florida teams have done a lot better than other regions 3 World Series appearances and two World Series wins in 10 years. However, both teams have played in horrible baseball conditions (Football Stadium and Dome).

It will be interesting to see if the new retractable roof solution will work in attracting more fans. I expect success similar to Arizona, however like Arizona, they had a hard time filling to capacity the last few years due to the large amount of transplants for the region and the marketing challenges each team has in trying to recruit fans from other teams (like me living 30 miles from the Rays).
Mark my words...the stadium will be an epic failure by year 3 if not sooner. I live down here and was a former season ticket holder for the Marlins. They don't draw fans....bottom line.

LoveYourSuit
11-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Mark my words...the stadium will be an epic failure by year 3 if not sooner. I live down here and was a former season ticket holder for the Marlins. They don't draw fans....bottom line.

the Dolphins (a historic franchise) can't draw well either. They play at 87% capacity according to ESPN.com

the Heat not too far removed from an NBA champioship and having one of the more exciting players in the game can't draw either. They play at about 84% capacity.

Red Barchetta
11-27-2008, 12:02 PM

I have lived in the Sarasota area since 2005 and I tend to agree that even with new ballparks, the same fan apathy will still exist after the "newness" of any new ballpark wears off.

Most of the transplants in my area seem to be from New York, Boston or Pittsburgh. There are a few of us ex-Chicagoans, however very rare.

Most of the sports passion revolves around college football. Baseball draws the spring training crowds especially here on the west coast, however even when the Rays did well this season, they had a hard time selling out any non Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or post game concert games. I attended all 8 SOX games (including postseason). 3 Cubs games and 6 other games so there is a good chance I went to more Rays games (17) than most of their bandwagon "fans" who bought their gear at Sports Authority 1/2 before the first playoff game. After the first SOX loss in the ALDS, a couple fans were giving us a hard time at the local bar across from Tropicana. I asked them to name five Rays players and I was not surprised they could not answer the question. (I still hate the sound of cowbells!) :mad:

The Rays owners are probably secretly working on a "move us or lose us" approach with St. Pete now that their ballpark proposal was shot down.

Luke
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Accually, a indoor stadium is almost nessasary in Tampa because it is so hot. The proposals in for a new stadium for the Rays have come to a halt because the city wouldnt come up with the dough to build a roof for the new stadium.

It actually didn't have anything to do with a roof. The Rays proposed an outdoor stadium with a retractable canopy.

What ultimately happened there was that the city council heard a lot of public outcry both to funding a new stadium on the waterfront, and to the environmental impact that infill would potentially have.

They didn't feel that there was enough public support for a ballot referendum in fall, given the economic climate, and gave up the effort to put it on the ballot. The Rays have put together a task team to locate a new site on the waterfront.

guillen4life13
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
I think that the new Marlins stadium will be a boon to the franchise. You put a baseball stadium in the middle of Little Havana instead of Miami Lakes, they will draw a lot more walk up crowds. I don't know if you've realized it, but Cubans like baseball.

Putting a Marlins stadium in an easily accessible area makes it a lot more feasible for a family to go out and see them after work instead of driving all the way out to Miami Lakes. Getting to the Orange Bowl used to be much, much easier than getting to Dolphin Stadium is now. You could take the Metrorail then a bus to the OB. Dolphin Stadium makes driving absolutely necessary.

I've said this before, but right now having the Marlins play in Miami Lakes is like having the Sox play in Aurora or, as was once proposed, Arlington Heights. It's totally inconvenient for most fans to make it out there since it's about an hour long commute from the major city areas. Here, to get to Miami Lakes from Coral Gables, Kendall, South Miami, Miami Metro, Miami Beach, etc, you're talking about at least a 45 minute long commute on gameday, and that's if traffic is on its best behaviour. I believe this to be the Dolphins major attendance issue as well.

I've lived in Miami since August, 2006. I don't have a car. The only reason I'm able to get to Canes games is because I go to UM, so obviously I have friends who want to go and I'm able to hitch rides. If the Marlins played where the stadium is proposed to be, I would attend quite a few of those games during the fall and spring. I like the Marlins and they're only second to the Sox for me (and I don't feel bad about it since it's the NL).

FloridaTigers
12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
No one goes to Marlins games because its a horrid stadium for baseball, and in the middle of no-where. I hate driving up there. To wait in rush hour for a 7:05 game, and watch a bunch of kids who'll be traded in three years anyways. Better for it to be in Little Havanna, where Cubans live, and as the other poster said, Cubans LOVE baseball. I'm a Tigers fan, but I'd go to more Marlins fans if they played closer to me, which the Orange Bowl was.

No one likes Dolphins Stadium. I hate Dolphins Stadium. I'd rather watch the Dolphins from my armchair. Dolphins drew more in the Orange Bowl because *shock* its closer. I hope the next Dolphin stadium is built closer to us than Ft. Lauderdale.

MiamiSpartan
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
I'll go to more games as well...
Broward people don't seem to pay money to go to games. When the Panthers played in Miami, they sold out almost every game (in a smaller arena, yes, but it was still much more accessable than Sunrise. We ended up giving up our Season tix there after 3 years, because it was just to far to drive after getting off of work....
Panthers have had trouble filling the new arena ever since they moved up to their supposed fan base...