PDA

View Full Version : Quality Starts so far this season: Contreras 10, Sabathia 10

White City
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm liking our chances tonight. Jose has been a bit less effective of late, but still has delivered quality starts in two of his last three outings. Sabathia has heated up of course (4 straight quality starts, and his ERA is now under 4 after a disastrous first month).

Now that these guys know they can beat CC in the Cell, I think we get the sweep in another tight, low-scoring game.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm liking our chances tonight. Jose has been a bit less effective of late, but still has delivered quality starts in two of his last three outings. Sabathia has heated up of course (4 straight quality starts, and his ERA is now under 4 after a disastrous first month).

Now that these guys know they can beat CC in the Cell, I think we get the sweep in another tight, low-scoring game.

The biggest difference is that Cleveland has such a terrible offense that CC has no margin of error. The Sox have the potential to score in bunches. Cleveland has NOTHING. If they fall behind, you can put the game to bed early. Their pen sucks. They have limited offensive skills. We can recover from a bad start, and Jose can give up 3-5 runs and still believe he is in the game.

Madscout
07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
The biggest difference is that Cleveland has such a terrible offense that CC has no margin of error. The Sox have the potential to score in bunches. Cleveland has NOTHING. If they fall behind, you can put the game to bed early. Their pen sucks. They have limited offensive skills. We can recover from a bad start, and Jose can give up 3-5 runs and still believe he is in the game.
Not to mention that they have to be in the dumps after last night's loss. Two outs and your closer can't get it done? Has to be hard on a team.

HartmanSox
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
It's funny, I remember EVERYONE talking about the offensive prowess of the Indians before the season started. :tongue:

balke
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
The good news, JC has been good this season overall. And, if you look at the batter v. pitcher for Sabathia, there's some guys on the team right now that have had success against him.

Bad news, C.C. is a lot better this time around, and has owned the Sox in his career.

TDog
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
It's funny, I remember EVERYONE talking about the offensive prowess of the Indians before the season started. :tongue:

Even before Martinez and Hafner went down, the two weren't hitting as people expected, probably because they were playing hurt. The Indians have a few players (Garko, Sizemore and Blake) who have picked up huge hits against the Sox, so Sox fans have a tendency overrate the Indians' offense.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Losing Victor Martinez and Travis Hafner hurts...a lot. We saw similar things last year when Crede was out and other guys failed to meet expectations...

I will be curious to see what the Indians get for CC, and then what sort of splash they make in the offseason. After he walks, they will need to find a way to replace him in the front of the rotation. I'm personally voting for Jeremy Sowers.
:)

jabrch
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Even before Martinez and Hafner went down, the two weren't hitting as people expected, probably because they were playing hurt. The Indians have a few players (Garko, Sizemore and Blake) who have picked up huge hits against the Sox, so Sox fans have a tendency overrate the Indians' offense.

It wasn't just Sox fans. Cleveland was expected to contend with Detroit all year. Nobody figured they'd be contending for 3rd and 4th place... :-)

TDog
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
It wasn't just Sox fans. Cleveland was expected to contend with Detroit all year. Nobody figured they'd be contending for 3rd and 4th place... :-)

I know that Cleveland and Detroit were supposed to be the teams the Twins, White Sox and Royals would be looking up at in the AL Central this season on July 4. Look at April postgame threads, and you'll see posters proclaiming that it would be the Indians division to lose. I thought both of the teams would have pitching problems this season and the hitting wouldn't get them as far as many expected. I was wrong about the Indians pitching. Lee has surprised me. Laffey has surprised me, but the Indians hitting hasn't met my expectations.

As for Indians fans, many may remember 2005 and refuse to give up (although the Indians have nothing to show for the frenetic run that many interpreted as a Sox collapse). If management gives up by trading Sabathia, the fans who show up for the games will be even more surly when Thome comes up.

hawkjt
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
CC is on a roll....Jose ? not so much.
Now, maybe the Sox seeing so many leftys this past week will help them against CC tonite...personally, I am willing to let this game be rained out and face the CC-less indians later in the season.

JB98
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
CC is on a roll....Jose ? not so much.
Now, maybe the Sox seeing so many leftys this past week will help them against CC tonite...personally, I am willing to let this game be rained out and face the CC-less indians later in the season.

No. The Sox are the ones on a roll. Let's play ball.

Shoeless_Jim
07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I think Pablo should play tonight since he has great success against CC
and he can play third since Crede has little success (.106, 0-4 this year against CC) against lefties.