PDA

View Full Version : Who will they sign for the stretch run?

unclegary
07-01-2008, 06:20 PM
OK....who will the Sox go after to take them to World Series 08?

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
OK....who will the Sox go after to take them to World Series 08?
Pretty sure what you see is what your gonna get.

gobears1987
07-01-2008, 06:38 PM
We have the right personnel for the run. It's just a matter of them performing at the level they are supposed to.

oeo
07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Unless there's an injury...nothing.

There's not a guy I want replaced in the lineup, the starting rotation, or in the bullpen. I think we have a pretty solid team.

Or, the one thing I could see Kenny doing is going after another Geoff Blum type to strengthen the bench. I know Uribe is technically that guy right now, but...meh.

07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Odds say Carl Everett or Roberto Alomar.

kittle42
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
The only move this team could even feasibly make would be dumping Thome or Konerko, moving Swisher to 1B, and getting a bona-fide CF guy, but neither of those things is going to happen (Konerko veto rights, and Thome ain't going anywhere).

Zisk77
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Kenny will make some move...probably minor. Although if Thome doesn't have many more games like yesterday left in him, i'd love Ibanez from a Seattle salary dump.

gf2020
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Kenny will make some move...probably minor. Although if Thome doesn't have many more games like yesterday left in him, i'd love Ibanez from a Seattle salary dump.
Yuck. Jim, in a down year, has got Ibanez on OBP, SLG and OPS. He has more homeruns, runs, walks and would have more RBIs if they had the same number of at bats.

ilsox7
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Blum.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't see a move being made unless there's another injury somewhere.

The Sox have survived - flourished, even - during Paulie's absence.

If a pitcher were to go down, I could see them making a deal for a pitcher from an NL team and/or taking a flyer on someone like Garcia.

ilsox7
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM

They really have. Don't get me wrong, I like PK. But I was secretly hoping they'd trade him this winter. I knew it would NEVER happen and that almost no one would agree with it, but I felt it would have been a good move for the organization (assuming the return for him was what I thought it'd be).

Regardless, I hope he comes back and tears it up for a few more years!

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
They really have. Don't get me wrong, I like PK. But I was secretly hoping they'd trade him this winter. I knew it would NEVER happen and that almost no one would agree with it, but I felt it would have been a good move for the organization (assuming the return for him was what I thought it'd be).

Regardless, I hope he comes back and tears it up for a few more years!

Me too. On all accounts.

thomas35forever
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Sandy Alomar.

kitekrazy
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM

:rolling:

Good one.

gregoriop
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Maybe I'm just going with the moment here, but Dwayne Wise is definetely making an argument for himself. What would be more advantageous, BA's defense or Wise's bat and speed? I can't speak for Wise's defense one way or the other, so maybe a more informed WSIer can fill me in on that.

I don't really see KW making any moves outside the organization.

voodoochile
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Maybe I'm just going with the moment here, but Dwayne Wise is definetely making an argument for himself. What would be more advantageous, BA's defense or Wise's bat and speed? I can't speak for Wise's defense one way or the other, so maybe a more informed WSIer can fill me in on that.

I don't really see KW making any moves outside the organization.

The question comes down to two things...

1) Which is more needed over the course of a pennant run - a guy who can turn up the defense and help protect leads or a guy who can come off the bench and generate a single run with his bat and speed?

2) Will Wise continue to hit like he has since being recalled? His career numbers are much worse than he has been showing.

Find a way to keep them both would be my recommendation.

Oh and I don't see any changes being made at all.

chisoxmike
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I think we'll see a bench player perhaps. But nothing major.

sox1970
07-01-2008, 11:38 PM

That just never gets old. That's gold.

BRDSR
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Blum.

You gotta be ready for those 14-inning World Series games...there aren't many guys who have proven they can hit the go-ahead home run in that situation.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2008, 11:59 PM
A bench player who can run.

It looks like Uribe is on his way out. Tribune yesterday had a mention that an Orioles scout was in the stands and they need an infielder, plus a story today at White Sox.com quotes Ozzie in a way where it appears he's basically gone as soon as Konerko is ready.

Story also said Ozzie held a closed door meeting with Uribe.

Lip

DickAllen72
07-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Isn't that Dewayne Wise?

Tragg
07-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Isn't that Dewayne Wise?
Yep; he can not only run, he can steal. I think it's extra effective considering that no one else on the team does - the shock effect going for him. It's like putting on the press in the last 2 minutes of a game.

I don't see any severe weaknesses, so nothing more than a minor deal.

I'm a believer in balancing current year with the future and the desire to contend EVERY year (or 4 out of 5). I disfavor "rebuilding" but also disfavor throwing the kitchen sink at trying to win "this year".

And then there is a small chance in which the Sox could move some veterans....that might be interesting.

kraut83
07-02-2008, 09:07 AM

It looks like Uribe is on his way out. Tribune yesterday had a mention that an Orioles scout was in the stands and they need an infielder, plus a story today at White Sox.com quotes Ozzie in a way where it appears he's basically gone as soon as Konerko is ready.

Lip

Outside of Friday's Cub game, I can't remember the last time Juan has seen any significant pt. :dunno:

I hope the Sox finally cut bait with this guy. If the O's want him, KW can get a sandwich from Boog's in return and I wouldn't be dissapointed.

White City
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Ken Griffey Jr.

MsSoxVixen22
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I would leave the team the way it is. No moves need to be made. If anything, maybe bring up Fields later in the season or something, if Crede's back is bothering him. Other than that, nothing needs to be done.

kevingrt
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Geoff Blum.

I don't know whether to teal this or not. We know KW loves reacquiring players and if Uribe leaves and lets say someone like a BA or Wise gets injured I could definitely see G3 hero coming back to the southside.

The Dude
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I think one more bullpen arm might do the trick. I don't trust Russell for a playoff run.

jabrch
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I doubt we will "sign" anyone. I'm sure KW will tryto be an activie particpiant in the trade market.

Let's look at needs...

C - NONE
1B - NONE
2B - NONE
3B - NONE
SS - NONE
BACKUP CI - NONE
BACKUP MI - NONE (UNLESS WE MOVE URIBE AND CREATE A HOLE)

CORNER OF - NONE
CF - NONE - ONCE PK IS BACK

SP - NONE, BUT IF A FRONT OF THE ROTATION GUY WERE AVAILABLE, WE'D BE INTERESTED

RP - NONE - IN THE POST SEASON WE WON'T BE CARRYING 12 Ps. SOMEONE WHO IS CURRENTLY IN THE ROTATION WILL LIKELY NOT BE IN THE POST SEASON ROTATION.

(sorry about the caps)

So as far as NEEDS goes, we have very little. That said, KW always is looking to improve the club. It will depend on who becomes available at the trade deadline. I doubt we have the bullets in our gun to get a #1 starter. The Cubs, Brewers, Red Sox, Rays, etc all have greater need and more depth of top tier prospects to trade.

My guess is that KW gets a Geoff Blum type - just in case Crede's back acts up - since nobody would feel too comfortable with Pablo playing 3B in a big game. Kenny has done a nice job positioning this team to not have many holes

palehozenychicty
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't see a move being made unless there's another injury somewhere.

If a pitcher were to go down, I could see them making a deal for a pitcher from an NL team and/or taking a flyer on someone like Garcia.

Swisher brings a lot more athleticism to the corner, and ironically, to CF, with Anderson and Wise platooning. I've been a Paulie backer for awhile too, but this team definitely needed the increased speed and athleticism.

RCWHITESOX
07-02-2008, 03:29 PM
I love it! Today the Sox don't need anyone for the stretch run but just after the first series with the Cubs and before that with Tampa Bay allot of people were either calling for Ozzie's head or get rid of Swisher, or Konerko and etc. What a difference a couple of weeks make. Unbelievable.

bigdommer
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Lip

If the O's have a bag of used baseballs for Uribe, I say do it KW.

ZombieRob
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
The only move this team could even feasibly make would be dumping Thome or Konerko, moving Swisher to 1B, and getting a bona-fide CF guy, but neither of those things is going to happen (Konerko veto rights, and Thome ain't going anywhere).
Just a question.Considering Konerko has veto power, and the Angels seem like possibly the only team he'd probably waive it for. Would you trade Konerko straight up for Gary Mathews. IMO a move that would help both teams.

asindc
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Just a question.Considering Konerko has veto power, and the Angels seem like possibly the only team he'd probably waive it for. Would you trade Konerko straight up for Gary Mathews. IMO a move that would help both teams.

The thing is, LAAAAA would not do that deal. Besides, Matthews does not provide enough speed or leadoff skills for my taste.

TomBradley72
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Phil Bradley?

PaleHoser
07-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Phil Bradley was a name that came to mind for me too. Sox tanked after he came on-board in '90. Instant .500 team - just add Phil Bradley.

Uribe will be gone to either Baltimore or Dodgers as both need a shortstop. What we get in return depends on how much (if any) salary we eat. This deal will get done when Konerko comes off the DL.

I like the team as it is now and have no problem with the platoon in CF and platooning Thome/Konerko at DH. That's an awfully expensive platoon at DH, but I'm *so* over having both of them clog the bases. It can be one or the other, but not both.

johnr1note
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Phil Bradley was a name that came to mind for me too. Sox tanked after he came on-board in '90. Instant .500 team - just add Phil Bradley.

Uribe will be gone to either Baltimore or Dodgers as both need a shortstop. What we get in return depends on how much (if any) salary we eat. This deal will get done when Konerko comes off the DL.

I like the team as it is now and have no problem with the platoon in CF and platooning Thome/Konerko at DH. That's an awfully expensive platoon at DH, but I'm *so* over having both of them clog the bases. It can be one or the other, but not both.

I think Uribe being packaged to a team that needs a middle infielder is a possibility. I was wondering if put together with some other players -- could we make a deal for a bench player/role player that would truly make a difference? Do you include BA in such a deal? Or a young arm like Russell? I hae no idea who we could get, but I never imagined the usefullness of Geoff Blum when we picked him up. Or Carl Everett for that matter. Is Carl available?

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Steve Stone is on the Score today from 10-12 and he is saying that the Dodgers who are only 1.5 games out right now and are desperate for a ss with furcal out ,might just be the perfect trading partner. They have a ton of young talent and they need pop like Juan has at SS due to their dismal offense.

He mentioned a bunch of names..some minor leaguers and even a few major leaguers like Blake DeWitt...which I think is pie in the sky but hey...Colletti is under tremendous pressure to win now and they are within striking distance so maybe he gives the Sox a real player for Juan. :D:

Madscout
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I think Uribe being packaged to a team that needs a middle infielder is a possibility. I was wondering if put together with some other players -- could we make a deal for a bench player/role player that would truly make a difference? Do you include BA in such a deal? Or a young arm like Russell? I hae no idea who we could get, but I never imagined the usefullness of Geoff Blum when we picked him up. Or Carl Everett for that matter. Is Carl available?
Ow, my eyes!

Seriously though. No Everett this year, and no Geoff Blum. If I'm the Sox, the only deal I make is for Konerko or Thome so we can keep Swisher in the lineup on 1b, or moving Uribe and getting a guy like Cintron that we don't have to keep for next year and is cheaper this year, but wouldn't be hard to sign if we needed/wanted to. The last thing I want to do is bring up Getz or Richar in a situation BA like situation, where it is "produce imediatly or you are on the bench and you can't refine your approach". Agree with my sentiment or not about BA, we need to start having some prospects come through for us down the road, and we don't need to have prospects come up this way.

palehozenychicty
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Steve Stone is on the Score today from 10-12 and he is saying that the Dodgers who are only 1.5 games out right now and are desperate for a ss with furcal out ,might just be the perfect trading partner. They have a ton of young talent and they need pop like Juan has at SS due to their dismal offense.

He mentioned a bunch of names..some minor leaguers and even a few major leaguers like Blake DeWitt...which I think is pie in the sky but hey...Colletti is under tremendous pressure to win now and they are within striking distance so maybe he gives the Sox a real player for Juan. :D:

Furcal is going to be out at least 8 weeks. They need someone, anyone who can hit, and is durable. If only we could get one of their good prospects...

AzureJazzMan
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM
After some research, and knowing that the Dodgers a sorta desperate, I compiled a few guys that I think would be a good and sound deal for Uribe, out of their AAA club.

I love this first guy...

Xavier Paul (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Xavier%20Paul&pos=&sid=t400&t=p_pbp&pid=449082) (OF) (Young, good speed, and cannon for an arm)
AVG. OBP. SLG. SB
.301 .372 .440 14

Terry Tiffee (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Terry%20Tiffee&pos=&sid=t400&t=p_pbp&pid=430584) (3B) (Excellent BB to SO Differential and good role player)
AVG. OBP. SLG.
.387 .428 .563

Or why not get one of our draft picks back, with...

Dwayne Pollok (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Dwayne%20Pollok&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=455666) (P) (as a relief pitcher, the ERA could us a bit of work, but, I like his WHIP in addition to his SO to BB ratio)
IP WHIP SO BB ERA
69.1 1.28 42 12 4.41

I think that any of these three guys would be good value and fair trade. But that's just my opinion, you may feel otherwise.

doublem23
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
After some research, and knowing that the Dodgers a sorta desperate, I compiled a few guys that I think would be a good and sound deal for Uribe, out of their AAA club.

I like where your head's at, but I'd be very suprised if we got a guy out of AAA for Uribe.

AzureJazzMan
07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I like where your head's at, but I'd be very suprised if we got a guy out of AAA for Uribe.

Desperate times and all that, so you never know...It's a hope...But, they may just ask us to take Pierre for Uribe and one of our minor leaguers.

btrain929
07-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Exactly. Let alone someone really good in AAA. Let's keep in mind here we ARE talking about Juan ****ing Uribe.....

A-ball prospect, maybe a good one from AA if we throw in cash.

Stringer
07-05-2008, 06:38 AM
We'll probably get some AA prospect(s)

oh well