PDA

View Full Version : 18 years ago today...

ihatethecubs
07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Perhaps my second most precious Sox memory to 2005, July 1, 1990 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199007010.shtml) was the craziest game I've ever attended. We were no hit by Andy Hawkins, but won four to nothing!
I was only 8 years old, but I can still see the image of Jim Leyritz dropping the ball in my head like it was yesterday. Just to add to it, it was the 80th and final anniversary of old Comiskey's grand opening, and the win tied us for first place with Oakland. It was also bat day that day, and I remember people saying that the black bats they gave away were supposed to be like Joe Jackson's bat, Black Betsy.
Field of Dreams had recently come out and I remember thinking that Joe Jackson's ghost was in the outfield that 80th anniversary day. Why else would right fielder Leyritz drop the ball with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th, followed by Jesse Barfield dropping Ivan Calderon's routine pop up to let another run in?
Well, it was sunny, it was windy, there were no ghosts. Only a Cub fan or an 8 year old would believe in such nonsense. But that game was unforgettable.

FielderJones
07-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Isn't this one of those revisionist non-no-hitters because Hawkins didn't pitch 9 innings?

bigsoxfan420
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Perhaps my second most precious Sox memory to 2005, July 1, 1990 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199007010.shtml) was the craziest game I've ever attended. We were no hit by Andy Hawkins, but won four to nothing!
I was only 8 years old, but I can still see the image of Jim Leyritz dropping the ball in my head like it was yesterday. Just to add to it, it was the 80th and final anniversary of old Comiskey's grand opening, and the win tied us for first place with Oakland. It was also bat day that day, and I remember people saying that the black bats they gave away were supposed to be like Joe Jackson's bat, Black Betsy.
Field of Dreams had recently come out and I remember thinking that Joe Jackson's ghost was in the outfield that 80th anniversary day. Why else would right fielder Leyritz drop the ball with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th, followed by Jesse Barfield dropping Ivan Calderon's routine pop up to let another run in?
Well, it was sunny, it was windy, there were no ghosts. Only a Cub fan or an 8 year old would believe in such nonsense. But that game was unforgettable.

Great memory. I made me think of going to the home opener that year with my dad. It was the only time my parent's ever let me miss school for a non medical reason. He thought it was important for me to see the last home opener at Comiskey Park, and he was right I still think of it often.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Isn't this one of those revisionist non-no-hitters because Hawkins didn't pitch 9 innings?

*ding* You are correct!

That game along with Melido Perez 6 inning rain shortened no-hitter against those same Yankees are off the books.

doublem23
07-01-2008, 04:59 PM

I don't know how it would ever be considered "revisionist" since an 8-inning no hitter has never been considered an official "no-hitter."

:scratch:

DumpJerry
07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I was there, too.

At first it was classified a no hitter, but when they changed the definition a few years later, it was declassified because of the 9 inning rule.

It was the last birthday of old Comiskey and the Yankees' last visit to the ballpark. The Sox could not lose because of the birthday and the Yankees needed something "special" since it was their last visit there.

Railsplitter
07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
What sticks in my mind from that game is the fact I was at the game the previous night- where the Sox got 14 hits and lost 10-7.

Woofer
07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I was also there. I believe it was a fireworks night, and it was the last game I ever saw at the old park. What a great summer that was for us Sox fans, although it was the final year for old Comiskey. Somewhere I still have the ticket stub.

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
That's one of those games where if you're watching it at home like I was, you really, really wish you could have been there! What a strange game that was.

MeteorsSox4367
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
IIRC, wasn't it a Sunday afternoon? I remember listening on the radio coming home from the hospital after breaking my pinky playing softball at Vittum Park.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
It was a Sunday afternoon on the 80th anniversary of the opening of Comiskey Park.

And Hawkins wasn't the only one dealing. Greg Hibbard of the Sox ALSO had a no-hitter the first 5 1/3rd innings.

Meaning both pitchers combined retired the first 31 batters faced!

I've got the tape of that game and both Hawk and Wimpy were both saying that had never been a part of a game where both pitchers had no-hitters going for so long.

Lip

PicktoCLick72
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
While I was only 5 at the time, I was at that game as well. I cannot say I remember very much of it though.

mrfourni
07-02-2008, 12:00 AM
i was there. it was bat day. i was eight

Medford Bobby
07-02-2008, 07:25 AM
I bought a general admission ticket and picked a decent box seat behind the 1st base area to sit at. Andy Hawkin's face after the game was completely blank...sorta like his favourite lottery numbers finally came up but forgot to buy a ticket.....:o:

Hitmen77
07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
1990 was a great season. The Sox won 94 games after finishing last in '89 and being picked by most to finish last again. Lots of young stars on that team: McDowell, Ventura....and then later in the season Frank Thomas and Alex Fernandez. It was the last year at the old park.

Unfortunately the Sox finished 10 games out despite winning 94 games. :angry: (meanwhile, the AL East is won with 88 wins).

1990 was the Sox first season back on WGN. It was also Hawk's first season back. IIRC, he was the announcer for games that were on SportsChannel. WGN had another guy doing the games with Whimpy.

bruno1445
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I was also there. I went with my younger cousin. It was a father-son outing for some group he belonged to (maybe cub scouts), and my uncle couldn't make it. I went in his place -- and got to see a no-no* for free.

BringBackBlkJack
07-02-2008, 09:20 AM
That was my 1st Sox game!!!! If I recall correctly, Ventura hit the ball that a Yankees outfielder dropped, allowing the unearned run(s) to score.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Jim Durham, the Bulls great announcer was the one who worked with Tom.

And it was Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield who dropped consecutive fly balls leading to four runs.

Lip

SOXPHILE
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
What sticks in my mind from that game is the fact I was at the game the previous night- where the Sox got 14 hits and lost 10-7.

Me too. I was at the game as well. I remember the Sox fell behind early 7-0, and then battled back throughout the game, falling short in the end.

I also remember it being and extrememly hot and humid night, with a number of fights in the stands. At one point, security cleared out an entire section of the left field upper deck.

PaleHoser
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I was there too, sitting in Box 81 up the third base line.

The backhand play that Blowers failed to make on Sosa would have been scored a base hit if it wasn't a no-hitter and so late in the game. It went right off the heal of his glove.

I recorded a copy of this game from the New York feed a few years later. Hearing Rizzuto's call of Leyritz on that fly ball was priceless. "Holy Cow he dropped the ball."

When Leyritz came clean about taking amphetimines last year he referenced using them for the first time as a young player during a trip to Chicago. I've often wondered if this was when he used them for the first time - day game after a night game, playing left field for the first time (swirling winds at Comiskey had to be fun), etc.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I took my date, the future Mrs. PHG, to her very first ballgame that day. The significance of the event was a bit lost on her though. Lots of standing around and not a lot of action.

Her dad, a Tigers fan, was excited for her. He couldn't believe his daughter saw a major league pitcher throw a no-hitter -- and lose. In retrospect I guess I scored a lot of points with him for taking her to the game.
:wink:

Let that be a lesson to all you young bucks out there. If you're serious about the girl, take her to a Sox game and her dad will know you're serious. Take her to the other side of town, and he'll figure you're just trying to get his daughter drunk.