PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Derby

thedudeabides
07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
With Dye and TCQ near the top of the AL in HR's, it's possible one, or both could be in this competition.

Would everyone enjoy it, or be afraid it could mess with their swings, as it has seemed to happen to a couple of players in the past.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 04:17 PM
With Dye and TCQ near the top of the AL in HR's, it's possible one, or both could be in this competition.

Would everyone enjoy it, or be afraid it could mess with their swings, as it has seemed to happen to a couple of players in the past.
Please no. It just seems like guy struggle following this thing.

btrain929
07-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Great question. That would be terrible if they fell into an Abreu-like slump after the Derby. With Dye being a veteran and a good idea about his swing, I don't think I'd mind him being in it so much. I picture Quentin as more of a line-drive hitter, so he might not do well in the contest. Plus since he's Mr.Serious 100% of the time, he might have a harder time adjusting to it after the Derby.

My vote would be Dye, or nobody.

CHIsoxNation
07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd have to go for Dye as well, if I had to chose.

In '06 when Dye was in the derby, he put up 25 homers prior to the break and still put up another 19 after. I trust him to avoid any major slump after the derby more than I would Quentin.

But in reality, I'd hope nobody from the team participates in the derby.

SoxFan78
07-01-2008, 04:39 PM
The only reason why I dont want JD in the home run derby is to hear that bloated ESPN blowhard yell

"Back, Back, Back, another home run for Jermaine "Live and Let" Dye"

Law11
07-01-2008, 04:58 PM

One name. bobby Abreu..

areilly
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
The only reason why I dont want JD in the home run derby is to hear that bloated ESPN blowhard yell

"Back, Back, Back, another home run for Jermaine "Live and Let" Dye"

"There's one RIPPED to the left field bleachers! Number nine this round for Carlos Johnny Cash at San Quentin!"

Foulke You
07-01-2008, 05:15 PM
As others have said, Dye's been in it before and I don't think it would negatively effect him. I worry about Quentin being in it not from a post derby slump standpoint but from an injury standpoint. He has that surgically repaired shoulder and he puts a lot of torque into his swings. I'm not sure that I'd want him up there taking 50 HR rips in one night. I actually think he'd probably do quite well in it and would go far which means he'd be taking a ton of extra swings. That being said, we're assuming that either Dye or Quentin or both are going to make the all star team. Something tells me we'll get all star snubbed as usual or we'll have to vote one of them in as the 32nd man again.

DickAllen72
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't want any Sox players near the HR derby....or the All Star game for that matter. Rest up and get ready for the playoff push.

skottyj242
07-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Please no. It just seems like guy struggle following this thing.

Ryan Howard was terrible the second half of 2006.

soxfan13
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM

Do i need to teal that for you!!:redneck

Uncle_Patrick
07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I heard discussion about this on the radio yesterday because of A-Rod deciding not to participate, and whoever it was that I was listening to (ESPN, I think) said the idea that the Home Run Derby screws up a player's swing has been greatly exaggerated.

asindc
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't want any Sox players near the HR derby....or the All Star game for that matter. Rest up and get ready for the playoff push.

I'm all for position players being in the game, but not the HR Derby. Not pitchers... though I would like Danks to get chosen but not play, if that makes sense. He deserves the honor. Otherwise, I agree, let's rest and get ready for the stretch.

soxpride724
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM

I'm with you, stay home and rest up.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Let's not forget that one of our very own, Paul Konerko, participated in the Home Run Derby back in 2002 after hitting 20 HRs before the ASG break(with 12 of them coming in his monster month of June) and only ended up with 27 on the season. His batting average also dropped quite a bit, so even though it's fun to watch, I'd rather not see any of our hitters mess up their groove by participating in it.

kevingrt
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
No Sox players in the HR derby please. I just don't like it. All-Star game all you want but I don't need a HR Derby of Sox players.

munchman33
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't understand what the problem is if our hitters participate. Most of them would use the exact same approach they use every day.

Nellie_Fox
07-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't understand what the problem is if our hitters participate. Most of them would use the exact same approach they use every day.Then they'd be very unusual. Most guys go up there with a vicious uppercut swing, as hard as they can. Besides possibly screwing up your regular swing, you can hurt your back, pull an oblique, etc. Nothing good can come from it; it's a really stupid exhibition.

RKMeibalane
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM

You forgot the teal.

munchman33
07-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Then they'd be very unusual. Most guys go up there with a vicious uppercut swing, as hard as they can. Besides possibly screwing up your regular swing, you can hurt your back, pull an oblique, etc. Nothing good can come from it; it's a really stupid exhibition.

I'm saying most of our guys go up there swinging as hard as they can for the fences anyway. The home run derby is their everyday in game swinging.

chisoxfanatic
07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
One name. bobby Abreu..
Don't forget Paul Konerko too. He had a horrible 2nd half after his involvement in the competition in 2002. I just want our All Stars playing in the game...not the HRD.