PDA

View Full Version : Armchair GM's

balke
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Playing to win now...

For all the talk earlier in the season about Brian Roberts. Would you as a Sox G.M. trade Ramirez for Brian Roberts this season to go win a championship?

Alexei is under contract for what 3 more seasons? It looks like a fit for the Orioles.

As a player to player matchup, you'd still have to go with Roberts offensively. 30 doubles so far with +20 steals.

Would you if it were on the table? Richar and Getz are coming up in the minors, and Beckham was just drafted.

sox1970
07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Ramirez isn't going anywhere.

Next.

asindc
07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
No.

kittle42
07-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't think Roberts auto-wins the Sox the division, even. So, no.

Boondock Saint
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
HELL no.

TommyGavinFloyd
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Even if Roberts was 10 years younger and it was a straight up trade I wouldn't do it.

Mr.1Dog
07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Negatory.

TDog
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
The Sox have a better chance of winning this year with Ramirez and no Roberts than they would with Roberts and no Ramirez.

Have you actually watched these guys play?

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Ramirez is a better player than Roberts right now. Absolutely not.

DickAllen72
07-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Just trade PK straight up for Ichiro.

asindc
07-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Just trade PK straight up for Ichiro.

I would not be so hasty to add teal to that.

DickAllen72
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I would not be so hasty to add teal to that.
Why? There's no way Seattle makes that move.

btrain929
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
As of right now, the only difference is Roberts has a shorter length of contract left, a more expensive one, and he bats lefty. If Ramirez was given the green light at 1st (which I don't think he has been), he'd put up some gaudy sb's numbers.

We wouldn't do that trade, and BAL wouldn't do that trade. Soooooooooo yeeeeeeeah...............

balke
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
The Sox have a better chance of winning this year with Ramirez and no Roberts than they would with Roberts and no Ramirez.

Have you actually watched these guys play?

There's no contest on defense for Alexei. He is also a young SS.

But, you'd be injecting a 40-50 SB threat into the lineup, and he's currently on pace for 60 doubles. He's proven the past 3 years to hover around .290 avg. and gets on-base at a near .360 clip.

You'd have a bigger threat to score that early run, and would have the best 1-2-3-4 possibly in all of baseball. No more leadoff hitter questions.

I agree that you can't sacrifice the future that much, but with Richar and Beckham and Getz I wouldn't cry about it too hard. I'm surprised NOONE would like that deal.

asindc
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Why? There's no way Seattle makes that move.

I agree. I was looking at it from the Sox perspective.

balke
07-01-2008, 04:51 PM
As of right now, the only difference is Roberts has a shorter length of contract left, a more expensive one, and he bats lefty. If Ramirez was given the green light at 1st (which I don't think he has been), he'd put up some gaudy sb's numbers.

We wouldn't do that trade, and BAL wouldn't do that trade. Soooooooooo yeeeeeeeah...............

I agree Alexei is awesome, but to be fair to the argument, there is a difference. .370 OBP v. .318. 21 SB's v. 3 SB's.

I'm not sure Alexei is going to get gaudy SB numbers. I'm pretty sure they would've already allowed him to run. He'd be the leadoff hitter if ready. In Cuba he only had 38 career SB's.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
There's no contest on defense for Alexei. He is also a young SS.

But, you'd be injecting a 40-50 SB threat into the lineup, and he's currently on pace for 60 doubles. He's proven the past 3 years to hover around .290 avg. and gets on-base at a near .360 clip.

You'd have a bigger threat to score that early run, and would have the best 1-2-3-4 possibly in all of baseball. No more leadoff hitter questions.

I agree that you can't sacrifice the future that much, but with Richar and Beckham and Getz I wouldn't cry about it too hard. I'm surprised NOONE would like that deal.
Alexei reminds me of Soriano with a better glove. I dare say he might one of the almost untouchables on this team along with Quentin, Jenks and Danks.

bigsoxfan420
07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
are you crazy?

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
are you crazy?
I'm sorry they do. Look wise how people describe Alexei minus the defensive advantage sounds like what they were saying about Soriano.
SOriano's 1st season: 574 AB's 18 hrs, 73 RBI's. If Ramirez (he won't be able to because he got a late start) had 561 AB's (based on his current pace) would finish with 15/72. Sure Soriano stole 40 bases but I don't think we truly know what Alexei is capable of on the base paths. Then factor in their defensive night/day differences, I gotta ask why am I so crazy with that comparison?

WhiteSox5187
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
No.

However I'd be interested in possibly trading Fields or Broadway for Roberts.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
No.

However I'd be interested in possibly trading Fields or Broadway for Roberts.
Broadway sure but not Fields.

oeo
07-01-2008, 05:33 PM

I don't know that he hasn't been given the green light. That's probably the part of Alexei's game we know the least about, so there's no way of telling what kind of stolen base numbers he could have. Yes, he can fly, but so could Willie Harris.

He didn't steal many bases in Cuba, so maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable.

WhiteSox5187
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Broadway sure but not Fields.
Dealing Fields would be dependent on us locking up Crede long term. If we were to do that, I'd have no problem dealing Fields.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Dealing Fields would be dependent on us locking up Crede long term. If we were to do that, I'd have no problem dealing Fields.
Even locking down Crede I would want Fields around as an insurance policy on his back. You would just need to make Fields additional valuable whether as a LF, 1B and clearly he can be a future DH.

Zisk77
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Actually roberts is a switch hitting witch, which makes him more valuable, but still no I wouldn't trade him.

thomas35forever
07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Why? Is Ramirez going to break down and Roberts suddenly put up monster numbers? For Roberts to do that, he'd have to pull a Bonds, which would mean losing his integrity also. KW signed Alexei for four years for a reason. The answer is NO.

vegyrex
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Alexei seems like a "don't touch" type of player right now.

Lets enjoy seeing him in a Sox uniform.

07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
64-2? :D: Nice! Alexei rules.

pmck003
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Not after that

Optipessimism
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
It's funny how 3 months ago most Sox fans including myself would have laughed at a Floyd + Ramirez + Anderson proposal being enough to acquire Roberts. Most of us, at that time, probably would have made that deal. Now, hell no.

Additionally, look at all the Cubs offered. The Orioles could have Gallagher and Cedeno playing for them right now, and probably Murton, DeRosa, and a prospect on top of that.

I think this is funny. The Orioles in ST stupidly passed up some very good offers for a complimentary player they need to trade, and now they are going to have to settle for less. The Sox and Cubs may both still be interested, but there's no way they are getting anything like Floyd, Ramirez, or Gallagher now.

munchman33
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Brian Roberts is a better player than Alexei is right now. However, I would not make the trade.

I would, however, welcome a move for Roberts that includes moving Alexei to center for the rest of this season.

asindc
07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Brian Roberts is a better player than Alexei is right now. However, I would not make the trade.

I would, however, welcome a move for Roberts that includes moving Alexei to center for the rest of this season.

Now that sound like a good idea. However, what would you do with PK, platoon him with Thome?

asindc
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
It's funny how 3 months ago most Sox fans including myself would have laughed at a Floyd + Ramirez + Anderson proposal being enough to acquire Roberts. Most of us, at that time, probably would have made that deal. Now, hell no.

Additionally, look at all the Cubs offered. The Orioles could have Gallagher and Cedeno playing for them right now, and probably Murton, DeRosa, and a prospect on top of that.

I think this is funny. The Orioles in ST stupidly passed up some very good offers for a complimentary player they need to trade, and now they are going to have to settle for less. The Sox and Cubs may both still be interested, but there's no way they are getting anything like Floyd, Ramirez, or Gallagher now.

The O's front office has been getting killed in the local press for years now, and it's because of things like this. They have this idea that since Roberts is the face of the franchise now, they have to get a blockbuster haul for him similar to what they got for Bedard. Ironically, as you point out, they could have sold the Cubs offer as such.

TomBradley72
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Playing to win now...

For all the talk earlier in the season about Brian Roberts. Would you as a Sox G.M. trade Ramirez for Brian Roberts this season to go win a championship?

Alexei is under contract for what 3 more seasons? It looks like a fit for the Orioles.

As a player to player matchup, you'd still have to go with Roberts offensively. 30 doubles so far with +20 steals.

Would you if it were on the table? Richar and Getz are coming up in the minors, and Beckham was just drafted.

Absolutely not.

I'd take Ramirez straight up over Roberts any day. Ramirez is not a finished product...he's going to continue to improve...he's only 12 weeks into his major league career. I'd take him over Roberts based on how he's playing today. His contract also saves us alot of money for a starting 2nd baseman/SS...which will allow KW to spend it elsewhere.