PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Day at the Taste of Chicago

chisoxfanatic
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I just got the following forwarded to me by a friend of mine, and I thought I'd pass this along:

WHAT: Current and former Chicago White Sox players are scheduled
to visit fans and sign autographs at the annual White Sox Day at Taste of
Chicago. The Chevy Pride Crew also will be present distributing t-shirts
and temporary tattoos to fans, and children will be invited to play a game
of "Southpaw Buckets" with the White Sox mascot.

WHEN: Wednesday, July 2

WHO: Autograph sessions at the Fun Time Stage
12:00 - 1:00 p.m. White Sox third baseman Joe Crede and
relief pitcher Bobby Jenks.
1:00 - 2:00 p.m. Former White Sox players Ron Kittle
and Bill Melton.
2:00 - 2:30 p.m. White Sox mascot Southpaw.

WHERE: Taste of Chicago, Grant Park
The stage is located on the north side of Balbo Drive in between Michigan
Avenue and Columbus Drive.

skottyj242
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Bobby Jenks will not be there. Dewayne Wise will be there with Crede instead.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Bobby Jenks will not be there. Dewayne Wise will be there with Crede instead.

Well let me tell my boss I'm sick and head right on down there!!!!

That's the best they can do??? Glad I'm not missing anything...

Ragator43
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM

I wouldn't bitch and moan. Getting Crede today for free sure as hell beats forking out at least fifty bucks to get his signature on the 19th.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't bitch and moan. Getting Crede today for free sure as hell beats forking out at least fifty bucks to get his signature on the 19th.

That's why I'm glad I got him at Spring Training this year and not have to worry about it. But 2 players, 1 of which is a AAA guy? C'mon....

Ron Kittle is a standup guy, though. He does a lot for his fans.

skottyj242
07-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Jenn got down there at 10:20 with my Jenks jersey and her little brother has his jersey that they wanted to get signed and they said he's not going to be there. What is it with Bobby and not showing up to things? This is at least the third time he has backed out of appearances.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Jenn got down there at 10:20 with my Jenks jersey and her little brother has his jersey that they wanted to get signed and they said he's not going to be there. What is it with Bobby and not showing up to things? This is at least the third time he has backed out of appearances.

Very true. I know at Soxfest after the seminars, players sign auto's on their way out. Bobby was the only that had the person with the mic say that Bobby had to leave immediately after the seminar and could not sign auto's. Jeez.....

He had a signing at an auto dealership in the middle of June. Did anyone go to that, or did that get cancelled too??

salty99
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
That one did happen.

rookieroy
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Just got back to my office. Crede and Wise were great and in good spirits.

On a seperate issue regarding Jenks cancelling. The woman running the event walked out by everyone in line to say that Jenks wasn't attending the signing due to him "being injured last night." We questioned her and that's all she would say.

Does anyone know something about this? I hope this is wrong and bad information, but, that is exactly what she was telling us. :?:

skottyj242
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Wise didn't sign the ball on the sweet spot. There goes my hopes for millions on ebay.

jenn2080
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
****ing Bobby Jenks and his none showing ass. This is the 3rd ****ing thing I went to and he wasnt there. *******!

jenn2080
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

On a seperate issue regarding Jenks cancelling. The woman running the event walked out by everyone in line to say that Jenks wasn't attending the signing due to him "being injured last night." We questioned her and that's all she would say.

Does anyone know something about this? I hope this is wrong and bad information, but, that is exactly what she was telling us. :?:

We did not even see Crede say a word to anyone. He signed and kept signing.

bigsoxfan420

He didn't even pitch last night. Maybe he is just hung over from the celebration.

ohthosechisox

Somebody said in the gamethread last night that Jenks was going to be unavailable yesterday, but I don't think anybody knew precisely what that was all about. I sure hope it isnt serious. :?:

btrain929
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Pitch him in games where the score is 5-1 and this is what happens....

BainesHOF
07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
This was a poorly run event. The Sox should have a better handle on this by now.

The players started signing at 12:10 p.m. and left promptly at 1 p.m. They can't even stay for an hour? The line wasn't even that long. If they would have stayed for another 15 minutes they could have taken care of everybody else in line.

Bobby Jenks has become a joke regarding public appearances. He has been a no-show at three scheduled appearances in the last year - Brookfield Zoo last year, a memorabilia store in the northern suburbs about a month ago and then the Taste today. I heard that the memorabilia store had someone drive to pick up Bobby that day and when the driver got there, Bobby simply said he wasn't going. He offered no good reason. I also heard he blew off at least one Kids Day in the last year...I have no problem with a player not signing autographs. I have a big problem with a player repeatedly backing out of his commitments.

On top of everything else, the announced signing times were off as well. The Sox and the Taste starting and ending times for the event differered from each other.

Hey, it's great that the Sox and the Taste do this every year, but is it that hard to run it professionally?

kevingrt
07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
****ing Bobby Jenks and his none showing ass. This is the 3rd ****ing thing I went to and he wasnt there. *******!

Calm down Jenn.

But yeah that is very weird.

rookieroy
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
This was a poorly run event. The Sox should have a better handle on this by now.

The players started signing at 12:10 p.m. and left promptly at 1 p.m. They can't even stay for an hour? The line wasn't even that long. If they would have stayed for another 15 minutes they could have taken care of everybody else in line.

Bobby Jenks has become a joke regarding public appearances. He has been a no-show at three scheduled appearances in the last year - Brookfield Zoo last year, a memorabilia store in the northern suburbs about a month ago and then the Taste today. I heard that the memorabilia store had someone drive to pick up Bobby that day and when the driver got there, Bobby simply said he wasn't going. He offered no good reason. I also heard he blew off at least one Kids Day in the last year...I have no problem with a player not signing autographs. I have a big problem with a player repeatedly backing out of his commitments.

On top of everything else, the announced signing times were off as well. The Sox and the Taste starting and ending times for the event differered from each other.

Hey, it's great that the Sox and the Taste do this every year, but is it that hard to run it professionally?

Don't forget the car show last year and the National City event at the Daley Center before the season started. I was at all of those too. No more and stupid me for allowing my children to deal with that. A terrible example for the kids. I just hope he isn't actually hurt like the woman mentioned.

salty99
07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
That is really strange. He is definitely getting a bad reputation, but at Soxfest he seems really nice. I have seen Ozzie skip numerous kids days, but he always shows for his other ones. Why even sign up or volunteer to appear if you're not even going to show? To be fair he has made some appearances, but seems to miss at least 50-75%.

Brian26
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM

I guess if you don't have a day job (or any other responsibilities) and have the extra time to go wait in line and hope he shows up, it's a good deal. I'm actually going to pay the $50 for Crede because I need one more item signed by him and it's worth it to me to go down there on a Saturday morning and have the autograph guaranteed rather than burning a vacation day in hopes he might show up at the Taste and I might be early enough in line to get him.

That's almost as bad as Freddy Garcia. Of course, Freddy always has the same excuse (visa problems).

That is really strange. He is definitely getting a bad reputation, but at Soxfest he seems really nice.

Jenks seemed more than accommodating at Soxfest. I remember him doing the 9am signing on Sunday last year, and he actually got there early to start.

jenn2080
07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Calm down Jenn.

It is just unreal. You know you have an obligation and yet you can never show up. Granted it is free, and something is better than nothing, but he has got a bad rap because of it.

Ragator43
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I guess if you don't have a day job (or any other responsibilities) and have the extra time to go wait in line and hope he shows up, it's a good deal. I'm actually going to pay the $50 for Crede because I need one more item signed by him and it's worth it to me to go down there on a Saturday morning and have the autograph guaranteed rather than burning a vacation day in hopes he might show up at the Taste and I might be early enough in line to get him.

I understand what you're saying about not wasting a vacation day on the gamble of whether who is supposed to appear will show (I was in the same boat as you today), but I think it's childish for someone to complain about a free appearance. Yeah, they replaced Jenks with Wise, but people still had the opportunity to get Crede's signature.

BadBobbyJenks
07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Pitch him in games where the score is 5-1 and this is what happens....

:rolleyes: What a joke.

btrain929
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
:rolleyes: What a joke.

Since the Sunday night game that he pitched, where we had a 4 run lead and he was not needed, he has been unavailable to pitch. That doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

StillMissOzzie
07-02-2008, 11:02 PM

I feel your pain, jenn. See below... :whiner:

That's almost as bad as Freddy Garcia. Of course, Freddy always has the same excuse (visa problems).

AMEN! I almost feel like a Freddy Garcia stalker, what with all of HIS no-shows over the last few years. I think I've been stiffed at least three times, and I think two of them were when I had to buy a ticket to the card show he was gonna be appearing at. Of course you don't get THAT refunded! :angry:

And it couldn't have been Freddie's visa problems when he failed to appear RIGHT AFTER A GAME!!!

SMO
:mad::angry::(:

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Jenks was not used in tonight's game, an obvious save situation. So he really must not want to risk hurting himself more while signing autographs.

GoGoOzzie
07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Jenks was not used in tonight's game, an obvious save situation. So he really must not want to risk hurting himself more while signing autographs.

I'm pretty sure that I heard Hawk say he had a stiff back. Who knows though. He seems to have shown that he is unreliable at best in terms of appearances.

skottyj242
07-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Calm down Jenn.

She has every right to be pissed. Her ten year old brother idolizes the guy and she has taken him three times in the last year and he hasn't shown up to any of them. I am mad because she took my jersey to get signed and he wasn't there. I may never wear it again. Viva la Toby Hall.