PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: Yankee Stadium

Cangelosi CF
07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
For my annual MLB ballpark tour, I am going with my wife to Yankee Stadium on Sunday night. Besides the obvious (watch my wallet, don't wear Boston gear) any tips for visiting Yankee Stadium?

Is Monument Park worth seeing? Thanks.

kittle42
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Watch your wallet is just as silly a suggestion as it is going to the Cell.

btrain929
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
If you're going just to say "I was there" then alright. But stadium-wise, it's a dump. The concourse levels are like someone's dark wet basement. The atmosphere during the game, though, is pretty electric, as EVERYBODY is into the game and every pitch.

Monument park - you have to get there really early in order to have a chance. They only take a certain amount of people everyday. I missed the cutoff when I went last year.

palehozenychicty
07-01-2008, 02:09 PM
If you're going just to say "I was there" then alright. But stadium-wise, it's a dump. The concourse levels are like someone's dark wet basement. The atmosphere during the game, though, is pretty electric, as EVERYBODY is into the game and every pitch.

Monument park - you have to get there really early in order to have a chance. They only take a certain amount of people everyday. I missed the cutoff when I went last year.

All of these points are dead-on. Both New York stadiums are awful, but the fans' involvement makes up for it.

johnnyg83
07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I was there for the Cincy series a couple of weeks ago and the place was packed but dead. Maybe b/c the game was flat, but it also felt like there were so many people there like me -- just to see the game -- that it was quiet.

nysox35
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I'd say Monument park is worth it. Get in there early as someone said, b/c they stop letting ppl in like 45-50 min before first pitch.

I'd allow time to stroll River avenue - there are a lot of bars and shops, kind of like the area near Wrigley.
Stans & Billy's are arguably the two most well known bars, and they're right on the main strip near the park.

Ticketwise, avoid the bleachers b/c it's cut off from the rest of the stadium (monument park included) and is alcohol free.
In my opinion, most seats are pretty good, but I'd avoid the far reaches of the upper deck (sections 25-36 or so).

Enjoy

Harry Potter
07-02-2008, 01:28 AM
For my annual MLB ballpark tour, I am going with my wife to Yankee Stadium on Sunday night. Besides the obvious (watch my wallet, don't wear Boston gear) any tips for visiting Yankee Stadium?

Is Monument Park worth seeing? Thanks.

I will be making my first trip out there this weekend too although I am going to the Saturday game.

From there, heading out to Fenway for my first trip there as well. Speaking of Fenway, I'm still searching for advice on things to do/see in Boston... Thanks!

palehozenychicty
07-02-2008, 08:45 AM
I will be making my first trip out there this weekend too although I am going to the Saturday game.

From there, heading out to Fenway for my first trip there as well. Speaking of Fenway, I'm still searching for advice on things to do/see in Boston... Thanks!

PM Fenway. He'll have a vast wealth of information for you. :D:

kittle42
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Spend an afternoon with Cub fans to prepare for what a Red Sox game will be like.

pmck003
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Watch your wallet is just as silly a suggestion as it is going to the Cell.

I think he is talking about how much he spends.

kittle42
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I think he is talking about how much he spends.

I still don't think so.

Cangelosi CF
07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I still don't think so. I was told by a native New Yorker & Yankees fan that the area around Yankee Stadium is awful and that I should watch my wallet.

kittle42
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I was told by a native New Yorker & Yankees fan that the area around Yankee Stadium is awful and that I should watch my wallet.

Trust me, it's about the same as the area around the Cell, and on a game day, especially, you have nothing to worry about. I've been many times.

Cangelosi CF
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I've been to Bridgeport countless times, never had a problem. Never been to the Bronx. Thanks for the tips.

JohnTucker0814
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll be going back there next week to catch a game on Tuesday vs Tampa Bay... now that the Rays are in 1st, this should be one heck of an atmosphere!

PatK
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Bring a lot of money.

The last Sox game I was at, some of the people tailgating next to us went earlier this year and told us that a beer there is something like $9.25 and that the food prices were insane.

Cangelosi CF
07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Bring a lot of money.

The last Sox game I was at, some of the people tailgating next to us went earlier this year and told us that a beer there is something like $9.25 and that the food prices were insane.

I did a quick google search-a 24 oz. Heinken is $12.50! :whiner: tall boy Bud is $9.25.....

kittle42
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I did a quick google search-a 24 oz. Heinken is $12.50! :whiner: tall boy Bud is $9.25.....

NYC ain't cheap!

Cangelosi CF
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
NYC ain't cheap!
my wife has points for the hotel :bandance: airfare wasn't too bad for 4th of July (we bought airfare a while back) but food/booze/museums will add up.

heck the tickets are $60 apiece...for obstructed view. :upsidehead:

RockyMtnSoxFan
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I just got back from NYC. The main reason for the trip was to go see Yankee Stadium before it's gone. I guess I was expecting to see something truly awe inspiring, or maybe feel overwhelmed with mystique, but I really didn't get any of that.

First off, you can't bring a back pack into the stadium. We had some ponchos and other stuff from walking around before the game, and we had to go across the street to a bar where they were checking bags. However, if you have a clear plastic bag you can bring whatever you want. :scratch:

I don't know when you would have to get there to see monument park, but it must be really early. We were there when the gates opened, and it took about 20 minutes in line before we got in. By that time the line for monument park was already full, and they wouldn't let anybody else in.

The stadium itself is actually kind of crappy. The concourses are narrow, dark, and dirty. Our seats were waaaay up near the top along the third base line, and I couldn't believe how steep it was. I've heard people complain about the upper level at Comiskey, but unfortunately I've never been (:whiner:). And I can't figure out why they have such a crappy scoreboard. I mean, they've obviously upgraded by adding one color scoreboard, but it's kind of small. There is an old school one next to it -- the kind with individual light bulbs -- that is bigger. With all the money the Yankees are taking in, replacing the scoreboard would be chump change, and it's not exactly brand new technology.

Anyway, I wasn't as impressed as I'd expected to be. On the one hand, it seems like they could use a new stadium; on the other hand, they're getting rid of all of their tradition and history just so they can have more corporate suites and other attractions, and make more money. Either way, I dislike the Yankees a little more now.

greenpeach
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I just got back from NYC. The main reason for the trip was to go see Yankee Stadium before it's gone. I guess I was expecting to see something truly awe inspiring, or maybe feel overwhelmed with mystique, but I really didn't get any of that.

First off, you can't bring a back pack into the stadium. We had some ponchos and other stuff from walking around before the game, and we had to go across the street to a bar where they were checking bags. However, if you have a clear plastic bag you can bring whatever you want. :scratch:

I don't know when you would have to get there to see monument park, but it must be really early. We were there when the gates opened, and it took about 20 minutes in line before we got in. By that time the line for monument park was already full, and they wouldn't let anybody else in.

The stadium itself is actually kind of crappy. The concourses are narrow, dark, and dirty. Our seats were waaaay up near the top along the third base line, and I couldn't believe how steep it was. I've heard people complain about the upper level at Comiskey, but unfortunately I've never been (:whiner:). And I can't figure out why they have such a crappy scoreboard. I mean, they've obviously upgraded by adding one color scoreboard, but it's kind of small. There is an old school one next to it -- the kind with individual light bulbs -- that is bigger. With all the money the Yankees are taking in, replacing the scoreboard would be chump change, and it's not exactly brand new technology.

Anyway, I wasn't as impressed as I'd expected to be. On the one hand, it seems like they could use a new stadium; on the other hand, they're getting rid of all of their tradition and history just so they can have more corporate suites and other attractions, and make more money. Either way, I dislike the Yankees a little more now.

I'm a native New Yorker & the "true" Yankee Stadium was torn down after the 1973 NFL season. Essentially what the city did was tear down the stadium & build a new one on the exact plot of land. The new Yankee Stadium is nothing more than a typical cookie cutter 1970's stadium. In fact, I used to get amused when media pundits crapped on Comiskey II while lauding "historic" Yankee Stadium. The looked almost identical. What a frickin' joke.

The House that Ruth Built was torn down in 1973. The House that Mayor Lindsey Built stands in its place.

C-Dawg
07-03-2008, 12:08 PM
And I can't figure out why they have such a crappy scoreboard. I mean, they've obviously upgraded by adding one color scoreboard, but it's kind of small. There is an old school one next to it -- the kind with individual light bulbs --

I like seeing the old-school scoreboards. When that place was new (1975), no one had video boards, and the regular "lightbulb" type was all anyone else had. They'll probably all be gone before too much longer; even KC has modernized their iconic scoreboard with an all-video board.

The "dated" features of both NY parks are what I found most interesting.