PDA

View Full Version : What's the Walkup Situation Like this Season?

BRDSR
07-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Out of towner here going to be in town and hoping to catch the game against Oakland this Sunday.

Normally I would just go ahead and eat the TicketMaster charges for the sake of convenience, but it's one of those things where you really don't know who or how many people are going to end up coming along. I'm thinking anywhere between 4 and 6. I searched TicketMaster for reference, and 6 tickets are available both behind home plate ($55) and in Upper Reserved ($21).

I'd be okay with either, but does anyone have thoughts on availability of tickets on the day of? I notice that the last couple Sunday home games not against the Cubs had attendance of 30,500 and 32,000, so that would seem to suggest that tickets are available. Any thoughts? Do you think I'm safe showing up an hour or two early and picking up as many tickets as I need?

voodoochile
07-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Out of towner here going to be in town and hoping to catch the game against Oakland this Sunday.

Normally I would just go ahead and eat the TicketMaster charges for the sake of convenience, but it's one of those things where you really don't know who or how many people are going to end up coming along. I'm thinking anywhere between 4 and 6. I searched TicketMaster for reference, and 6 tickets are available both behind home plate ($55) and in Upper Reserved ($21).

I'd be okay with either, but does anyone have thoughts on availability of tickets on the day of? I notice that the last couple Sunday home games not against the Cubs had attendance of 30,500 and 32,000, so that would seem to suggest that tickets are available. Any thoughts? Do you think I'm safe showing up an hour or two early and picking up as many tickets as I need?

Last night looked like a sell out for what that's worth. I'd buy early from now to the end of the season. Also, UD reserved might mean section 510 20th row. Call the Sox Box office and see what their best available is UD. You might be able to avoid ticket master fees by buying over the phone through the box office and still do the will call thing.

Cat Thief
07-01-2008, 10:10 AM
You might be able to avoid ticket master fees by buying over the phone through the box office and still do the will call thing.

That's not possible.

TDog
07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
When I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, I got pretty good lower deck seats the night of the game, but Pittsburgh was in town. I didn't order online because I don't like paying the "convenience" charges. I generally always get walkup tickets, unless I am going to two games and I buy tickets for the second game at the window while I'm buying my walkup tickets.

Good available seats might be getting scarce at the Cell, though. On the other hand, I'm sure I'll be able to find good walkup seats when the Sox come to Oakland.

Cat Thief
07-01-2008, 10:16 AM
You can get an entire row in 135 right now on Ticketmaster. Not bad seats.

hi im skot
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Last night looked like a sell out for what that's worth. I'd buy early from now to the end of the season.

Keep in mind yesterday was half-price Monday, with Cleveland in town.

If the Sox play well this week, walk-up will be solid on Sunday, especially with the holiday weekend.

voodoochile
07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
That's not possible.

Changed the rules, huh? Been a while since I lived in Chicago, but you used to be able to order through the box office.

jabrch
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102784

Check out Salty...Looks like a heck of a deal...

skottyj242
07-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I think they're giving out 1983 hats on Sunday.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Story yesterday in the paper quotes Boyer as saying the walk up yesterday was tremendous because of the sweep of the Cubs and that they are predicting large crowds for the rest of the homestand.

Lip

soxpride724
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Story yesterday in the paper quotes Boyer as saying the walk up yesterday was tremendous because of the sweep of the Cubs and that they are predicting large crowds for the rest of the homestand.

Lip

For a Monday it was very busy last night, that and with the sweep of the Cubs it looks to be a busy weekend.

areilly
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
For a Monday it was very busy last night, that and with the sweep of the Cubs it looks to be a busy weekend.

I was there and can attest to the greatness of last night's crowd. As much as I love the empty weeknight games, it's always good to see the masses turn out.

kevingrt
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Changed the rules, huh? Been a while since I lived in Chicago, but you used to be able to order through the box office.

Yeah same TM fees through the phone. It sucks!

guillen4life13
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
They don't still do the Pepsi Half Price promo do they? If they do, I'll go tonight.

Max Power
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
They don't still do the Pepsi Half Price promo do they? If they do, I'll go tonight.

No. I think 2005 was the last year of that promo.

Jason82807
07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Definitely the most crowded I've seen the park except for playoffs/opening day/cubs series. Had a lot of fun. Getting back to the original point of the thread, try not to buy tix day-of-game at the box office unless you really don't care where you sit.

I know someone who has 2 upper reserved season tix and sells every game of the package just so he can have access to the Sox Charge Line and order tix over the phone with no fees.