PDA

View Full Version : Sox were 15-2 @ home in June, 2-8 on the road

White City
07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Had the second-best record in the majors in June (17-10).

Writers got so worked up about the Twins (17-11) during June that they failed to realize the Sox had a better record. Was our 7-game streak in the division not more impressive than their 10-game streak against the Nats, the Padres and the Diamondbacks? Our Sox went 8-3 in the division in June; the Twins, 1-7. And that four-game sweep of the Twins was rough treatment indeed -- Sox batters crushed their pitching.

The best record in June (the Tigers at 19-8) was also in our division. But we only gave up two games to them.

This team doesn't even need to keep playing .630 ball (like June) to win this division, in my opinion. But if they do, they would win 97 games.

The Sox have 16 home games from Aug. 5 to Aug. 24 and only three road games. If they can maintain a decent lead against whoever steps up after the All-Star break, then clean up during that big home stand, then the division title should be in sight. Before September even starts.

ArkanSox
07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Man, the Sox have really been pounding the ball at the Cell, and almost everyone seems to be contributing. Dye's been awesome, Thome's coming around, and it's really helped that Swisher has snapped out of his batting funk.

Last night, the Cleveland announcers mentioned that when the Sox score four runs a game, their overall record is phenomenal, and that their slugging percentage this year is the highest that it's been since back in the 1950s.

balke
07-01-2008, 08:51 AM
BTW: Sox are now 11th in batting avg., no longer dead last.

Mohoney
07-01-2008, 08:54 AM
3 of those road losses were by 1 run on walkoff home runs, 1 of which was against the Tigers. Another loss (also to the Tigers) was kind of a back-and-forth game where we ended up losing 6-4.

A 2-8 record kind of makes you look like a doormat at first glance, but we had at least a fighting chance in half of those 8 losses. A little better luck, and we're 4-6.

jabrch
07-01-2008, 08:57 AM

...and still 3rd in Runs Scored.

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Man, the Sox have really been pounding the ball at the Cell, and almost everyone seems to be contributing. Dye's been awesome, Thome's coming around, and it's really helped that Swisher has snapped out of his batting funk.

Last night, the Cleveland announcers mentioned that when the Sox score four runs a game, their overall record is phenomenal, and that their slugging percentage this year is the highest that it's been since back in the 1950s.
I think those guys need to do some homework. I may be wrong but I grew up with the Sox of the 50s and find it hard to believe that a 50s Sox team would have a real high slugging pct. Those teams were built around pitching and defense with timely hitting, not many HRs, lots of singles and doubles, hit and run and lots of bunts.

hawkjt
07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
What worries me is the 6 pitchers the sox face the rest of the homestand.

Lee,CC,duschwhatever,Smith,Harden and Blanton include 3 of the top 5 ERA guys in the league(Lee,Dusch,Harden) ,CC who is hot and good, Smith who shut out the sox earlier in the season,and Blanton who is an above average pitcher(he is an A, afterall)

It is like a murderers row of pitchers and I suspect the sox will have to grind out some close wins if they can....3-3 will not surprise me a bit.

White City
07-01-2008, 11:46 AM
By the way, don't worry that June was some kind of abberation. The Sox did in that month about what you would expect. As I said back at the end of May, 17-10 would be roughly in line with their performance prior to June, if you presumed a .667 winning percentage against the NL:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1907590&postcount=29

We lost that Tampa Bay game, but did one better in the division than might have been expected. I'm OK with that!

jabrch
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Lee,CC,duschwhatever,Smith,Harden and Blanton include 3 of the top 5 ERA guys in the league(Lee,Dusch,Harden) ,CC who is hot and good, Smith who shut out the sox earlier in the season,and Blanton who is an above average pitcher(he is an A, afterall)

It is like a murderers row of pitchers and I suspect the sox will have to grind out some close wins if they can....3-3 will not surprise me a bit.

Hawk - Put Duch and Harden in USCF every day and their ERAs aren't so low..that said, I agree, we have a difficult stretch of pitchers ahead of us. Fortunately we got Jeremy Sowers already and we missed Carlos Zambrano vs the Cubs.

Keep in mind, we have a pretty good pitching staff ourselves. And with the bats clicking, Thome and JD both SMOKING hot, and nobody really stuggling much, we SHOULD come out of this on the + side of .500.

Either way - glad to see the Sox putting it all together. I see no reason to believe this team won't be contending all season.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-01-2008, 12:01 PM

8th in the AL I counted. 11th in league?

daveeym
07-01-2008, 12:02 PM
How so? They're tied for 9th in MLB and tied for 6th in the AL.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Blanton is what 4-11 this season? Someone apparently has been hitting him.

Lip

balke
07-01-2008, 01:05 PM
How so? They're tied for 9th in MLB and tied for 6th in the AL.

MLB.com has sortable team stats saying they are #11 which is actually a tie for 9th. I didn't see it was a 3-way tie.

balke
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
They are also 3rd in the MLB with RISP. But last in the AL w/RISP w/2outs. Which is why it was so nice to see Thome go deep last night with runners on and 2 out.

UofCSoxFan
07-01-2008, 01:21 PM

I'd be happy with a split these next two against CLE given the matcups and a split against OAK is never a bad thing. 3-3 would be good, and would give us a 7 and 3 homestand. I'd be ecstatic with anything better than 4-2 the rest of the trip.

TDog
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
And don't you know there was great gnashing of teeth at WSI after those two home losses.

BadBobbyJenks
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Hawk - Put Duch and Harden in USCF every day and their ERAs aren't so low..that said, I agree, we have a difficult stretch of pitchers ahead of us. Fortunately we got Jeremy Sowers already and we missed Carlos Zambrano vs the Cubs.

Keep in mind, we have a pretty good pitching staff ourselves. And with the bats clicking, Thome and JD both SMOKING hot, and nobody really stuggling much, we SHOULD come out of this on the + side of .500.

Either way - glad to see the Sox putting it all together. I see no reason to believe this team won't be contending all season.

Harden might be the best pitcher in the American League.

kingpin_rcs
07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
They are also 3rd in the MLB with RISP. But last in the AL w/RISP w/2outs. Which is why it was so nice to see Thome go deep last night with runners on and 2 out.

Yeah yeah yeah, where do they rank in BABIP, OPS+ and Park Adjusted ERA?

GoSox2K3
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
And don't you know there was great gnashing of teeth at WSI after those two home losses.

Those 2 home losses were 2 in a row to Colorado in a series that came right after the Sox got swept in Detroit - a 1-5 stretch for the Sox.

I hate the perpetual dark cloud/naysayer posters as much as anyone, but GMAB. If we can't gnash our teeth during a 1-5 stretch, then what's the point of having discussions here?

amsteel
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
The home/road record difference seems to be running wild all over MLB, meaning the All-Star game could be the difference in the World Series. What BS...I know its a small sample size, but I've been to 8 MLB games this year in 5 different parks and the home team is 8-0 in those games, kind of a microcosm of the whole league.

I would not have guessed that the Sox did that well in June, probably because the Tampa Bay/Detroit losses stung so much.