PDA

View Full Version : How long will Tampa keep this up?

PeteWard
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
They are a game and a half up with the best record in the majors.

Can they maintain this? Would be nice to see someone new from that division, though I do hate the thought of playoffs in a dome--even on TV.

But still better than seeing those other two teams again.

FedEx227
06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Said it at the beginning of the year and I'll say it again.

They're for real. They are going nowhere.

Boondock Saint
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
How long can they keep this up? I'd say several years, at least. They're young and talented in the right places, and they have monster prospects waiting to come up in the minors right now. They're going to be scary in the future, as long as they don't make a bunch of stupid trades.

High Mileage
06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Even if they falter a bit, they have plenty of talent to make moves at the deadline. They are for real, they will make the playoffs...

gobears1987
06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
They have the talent and the other teams in the division are aging and full of overpaid declining players. The Rays can make a several year run in that division.

BadBobbyJenks
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Said it at the beginning of the year and I'll say it again.

They're for real. They are going nowhere.
They are definitely for real.

I loved that Garza trade for them and he is pitching like a legit number 3. The pitching has been great and Price will be coming up in the 2nd half. The scary thing about the Rays is they have not tapped into their offensive potential this season yet as Crawford struggled out of the gate, but is coming on now and Pena just came off the DL.

thomas35forever
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
They're for real. I can see them making the ALCS at the very least.

hose
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I think their bullpen will prove to be the weak link and not hold up after the AS game.

chaerulez
07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I think their bullpen will prove to be the weak link and not hold up after the AS game.

Are you talking about the bullpen that consists of: (not counting today's game)

Troy Percival: 2.96 ERA 0.878 WHIP 19 saves in 21 tries
Dan Wheeler: 1.93 ERA
J.P. Howell: 3.02 ERA
Grant Balfour: 1.23 ERA 22 K's in 14 2/3 IP (limited innings I know)
Not to mention former Sox Gary Glover posting a 3.34 ERA

Plus they can bring in Price in September if they want to limit his innings and use him as a reliever in the majors to ease him in.

The only weakness the Rays have right now is the lack of additional power. Pena isn't going to repeat his 46 outburst from last year. Upton and Longoria are very good players but I think they need another bat with pop in the lineup. Adam Dunn would be a nice addition.

Boondock Saint
07-01-2008, 12:21 AM

Plus they can bring in Price in September if they want to limit his innings and use him as a reliever in the majors to ease him in.

The only weakness the Rays have right now is the lack of additional power. Pena isn't going to repeat his 46 outburst from last year. Upton and Longoria are very good players but I think they need another bat with pop in the lineup. Adam Dunn would be a nice addition.

Or perhaps Barry Bonds...

RockRiversoxfan
07-01-2008, 01:18 AM
They are a game and a half up with the best record in the majors.

Can they maintain this? Would be nice to see someone new from that division, though I do hate the thought of playoffs in a dome--even on TV.

But still better than seeing those other two teams again.

It will stink having indoor playoff baseball in TB. october usally is a nice mouth in central florida alot of the summer heat is gone. going to a rays game is probally the thing to do in central florida a good way to escape the heat and humidity and a good team to top that all off.:D::D:

Lip Man 1
07-01-2008, 01:34 AM
If they stay healthy pitching-wise they'll be there.

By the way, S.I. this week is reporting that the Rays could now be a dark horse candidate to land Sabathia for prospects for the stretch run.

Lip

Beautox
07-01-2008, 04:33 AM

Agreed said it going into this year that the rays were going to make alot of noise in the east and possibly walk away with the crown.

Their system is stacked at every level and nearly every position.

With Troy going down i think we will see Niemann coming up and into the bullpen with wheeler and reyes(once he too comes back) taking over closing duties. Maybe they will go after fuentues but i dont think their front office sees value in dealing prospects for relief pitchers; they like picking up off the scrap heap or developing from within. Id really like for them to give Ruggiano a long look in RF i think he could easily be that power hitting RF they need.

If they land CC im sure they've got plenty of faith their scouts will make good use of those two picks in the '09 draft seeing how this should be the first time in franchise history they wont be picking in the top ten

hose
07-01-2008, 06:41 AM

yep, the same 38 soon to be 39 in August Troy Percival that re-injured his foot and had to leave the game tonight.

JUribe1989
07-01-2008, 07:10 AM
yep, the same 38 soon to be 39 in August Troy Percival that re-injured his foot and had to leave the game tonight.

Which was followed by JP Howell getting an immediate huge out with 2 down and the tying run on third.

cws05champ
07-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Agreed said it going into this year that the rays were going to make alot of noise in the east and possibly walk away with the crown.

Their system is stacked at every level and nearly every position.

With Troy going down i think we will see Niemann coming up and into the bullpen with wheeler and reyes(once he too comes back) taking over closing duties. Maybe they will go after fuentues but i dont think their front office sees value in dealing prospects for relief pitchers; they like picking up off the scrap heap or developing from within. Id really like for them to give Ruggiano a long look in RF i think he could easily be that power hitting RF they need.

If they land CC im sure they've got plenty of faith their scouts will make good use of those two picks in the '09 draft seeing how this should be the first time in franchise history they wont be picking in the top ten
Contreras and MacDougal for David Price... :smile:

MeteorsSox4367
07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Hopefully, for the entire season. I hate the Yankees and I'm not that crazy about Boston, either. Every year since seemingly the beginning of time, it's always the Yankees and Boston in the East. How about somebody new?

I like Tampa's young position players (Crawford, Longoria) and if they're going to hang around it's because of their starting pitchers like Shields, Kazmir, etc. Percival has resurrected his career as their closer and as one of the previous posters mentioned, Price is waiting in the minors.

I could live with a Sox-Rays ALCS.

KnightSox
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I could live with a Sox-Rays ALCS.FOX won't like that!

sox1970
07-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I could live with a Sox-Rays ALCS.

It's an ALDS matchup right now. Bring 'em on.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2008, 09:41 AM
It's an ALDS matchup right now. Bring 'em on.

I'm not fond of the idea of starting the playoffs with two games at the Trop.

FarWestChicago
07-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm not fond of the idea of starting the playoffs with two games at the Trop.I would be fond of the Sox starting the playoffs in any way, shape or form. :thumbsup:

sox1970
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm not fond of the idea of starting the playoffs with two games at the Trop.

Sox are 3-4 there this year. Not bad. I'd rather go there than Fenway or Anaheim in the first round.

PatK
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Like someone mentioned, I think it's going to come down to their pen.

If Percival can stay healthy and keep doing what he has been (excluding his foot getting hurt last night), I think they'll take the division.

aryzner
07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
FOX won't like that!
No teal required there. They actually won't like that! :tongue:

downstairs
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Sox/Rays ALCS
Cubs/Phillies NLCS

Sox over Cubs in the WS

How's that for "Booking it" and being "done?"

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I would be fond of the Sox starting the playoffs in any way, shape or form. :thumbsup:

Well that's true, of course. I'd just much rather start the playoffs with two home games. :D:

areilly
07-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I think they're for real, although I'm not sure they can take the division over Boston. Their bullpen is slightly suspect, but their schedule doesn't look too bad and I have no faith in any of the ALC or ALW teams to hold on for the Wild Card.

If the Sox fall out of it any time between now and November, consider me a happily aboard the Rays bandwagon.

Cangelosi CF
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the Rays are in it for the long haul, although Pervical pulled up lame last night. They could put him on the DL now, and with the all-star break get him some extra rest for his hamstring.

Madscout
07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Sox/Rays ALCS
Cubs/Phillies NLCS

Sox over Cubs in the WS

How's that for "Booking it" and being "done?"
Cubs would find a way to throw that series. It would be Phillies/Sox

Fenway
07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Talk to me when we get to July

oh wait..........

They leading in the 8th can go 2 1/2 up

This is a very good team

MarkM2112
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I personally would hope it continues... Ever since they awarded Tampa a franchise in the AL East, I was afraid that they would be in last place every year with all the deep pockets in that division...

Red Barchetta
07-02-2008, 07:18 AM
This is my fourth summer since moving from Chicago to the Sarasota area. I follow this team from a regional perspective. I still don't consider myself a Rays fan, however it is fun watching them play good ball. It was great watching them sweep the Cubs.

They have a good team, however their main problem still exists; how do they keep good talent and attract prime time free agents to play in that dome for the major portion of their career? My point is that if any of their key players going into free agency are offered the same money to play for any of the key market teams, they will leave.

What I find interesting is that the team is removing the new ballpark vote from the general election later this year due to current lack of support from the fanbase and community. I have gone to 6 games this year and with each subsequent visit Tropicana looks worse and worse. I just don't understand why many "fans" down here want them to continue to play in that ugly dome. Many don't like the idea of the outdoor ballpark in downtown St. Pete.

Many want a retractable roof, Arizona-like ballpark to be built in downtown Tampa near the Bucaneers Raymond James stadium and the Yankees Legends Field training complex. I read the St. Pete Mayor won't let them out of their Tropicana lease unless they relocate within St. Pete so I doubt moving to Tampa will ever happen.

It would be a shame to see this team build up the talent to compete and then lose it all at the next free agent run.

Regarding this season, I think Ken Griffey Jr. would be a perfect fit for the Rays the remainder of this season and perhaps two more. His family lives in Orlando. He would be back in the AL so could DH the rest of his career and hopefully hit a few more HRs.

Viva Medias B's
07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
What I find interesting is that the team is removing the new ballpark vote from the general election later this year due to current lack of support from the fanbase and community. I have gone to 6 games this year and with each subsequent visit Tropicana looks worse and worse. I just don't understand why many "fans" down here want them to continue to play in that ugly dome. Many don't like the idea of the outdoor ballpark in downtown St. Pete.

Many want a retractable roof, Arizona-like ballpark to be built in downtown Tampa near the Bucaneers Raymond James stadium and the Yankees Legends Field training complex. I read the St. Pete Mayor won't let them out of their Tropicana lease unless they relocate within St. Pete so I doubt moving to Tampa will ever happen.

It would be a shame to see this team build up the talent to compete and then lose it all at the next free agent run.

Obviously, the mayor of St. Petersburg would not allow this per the Rays' lease, but I have wondered if Orlando would be a better venue for the Rays than Tampa/St. Pete.

chaerulez
07-02-2008, 09:17 AM

One guy landing on the DL from a bullpen with 4 other guys that are getting it done this year isn't an indication that the bullpen is going to fall apart. This bullpen also leads MLB in batting average against. Now, I'll admit a lot of that has to do with the much improved infield defense of the team, but someone still has to pitch the ball.

PennStater98r
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM

I am not so sure I agree with the bolded text. I also believe that Tampa has very little 'ready-now' depth. I think if they lose anyone to injury in the starting rotation or - one of their key offensive threats - they're going to be hurting. That said, who wouldn't? Though I have to admit, the Sox have played very well since losing Konerko, and the Cards played very well without Pujols.

Again though, what does the lose of an Upton or Crawford do to this team? What happens if Garza or Kazmir go down?

What happens to the bullpen without Percival? If you move everyone 'up' in the bullpen - that can have a trickle down problem to your 'pen. If you just pull a guy that's got the stuff underused - he may struggle...

I honestly believe that where Boston has strength is depth. Sure - they may not have it right now - but we all know that if they're in it, they'll go out and get what they need. The same thing can be said about the Yanks. I think CC ends up on the Yankees or Boston - quite honestly.

SoxSpeed22
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
They'll be around in October. They have a very good shot at winning the whole thing.

Fenway
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
They selling these outside The Trop

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/07/02/2broom135__1215012115_4523.jpg

read this for some interesting numbers

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2008/07/02/turn_keys/

Tragg
07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Wasn't there some talk about them moving to the Central a while back?

They're good....they got rid of some deadwood (just like we did) and their pitching's good.

Texas is another interesting team - their farm system is reportedly "stocked"...yet, they have eternal pitching issues, so "stocked" may be an overstatement.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Texas is another interesting team - their farm system is reportedly "stocked"...yet, they have eternal pitching issues, so "stocked" may be an overstatement.

Mark this down. There is a 100% guaranteed lead pipe lock in the Rangers system. The 100% guaranteed lead pipe lock in the Rangers' system is that they will find a way to trade away any pitcher who might develop into a star, or even just an average, innings-eating #4 starter.

Tragg
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Mark this down. There is a 100% guaranteed lead pipe lock in the Rangers system. The 100% guaranteed lead pipe lock in the Rangers' system is that they will find a way to trade away any pitcher who might develop into a star, or even just an average, innings-eating #4 starter.
I'm a big advocate of Kenny doing more business with Jon Daniels....not for Blalock and those veterans, but for some of those lead pipe locks you describe.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm a big advocate of Kenny doing more business with Jon Daniels....not for Blalock and those veterans, but for some of those lead pipe locks you describe.

:D: When in doubt, offer to trade a pitcher for a pitcher with the Rangers. As long as you have a baseball IQ north of Forrest Gump's, you usually can't go wrong.

chaerulez
07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I am not so sure I agree with the bolded text. I also believe that Tampa has very little 'ready-now' depth. I think if they lose anyone to injury in the starting rotation or - one of their key offensive threats - they're going to be hurting. That said, who wouldn't? Though I have to admit, the Sox have played very well since losing Konerko, and the Cards played very well without Pujols.

Again though, what does the lose of an Upton or Crawford do to this team? What happens if Garza or Kazmir go down?

What happens to the bullpen without Percival? If you move everyone 'up' in the bullpen - that can have a trickle down problem to your 'pen. If you just pull a guy that's got the stuff underused - he may struggle...

I honestly believe that where Boston has strength is depth. Sure - they may not have it right now - but we all know that if they're in it, they'll go out and get what they need. The same thing can be said about the Yanks. I think CC ends up on the Yankees or Boston - quite honestly.

I think David Price will be at an above average talent level by September this year. Reid Brignac isn't putting up stellar numbers at Durham, but I think if Barlett went down he could at least post similar offensive numbers and he has improved a lot on defense. Both McGee and Davis could be major league ready, they are posting decent seasons at AA and a AA to MLB jump is fairly common these days and could help any emergency bullpen needs. They also have Fernando Perez, a guy who could either be a decent 4th OF or a servicable leadoff guy for them if needed.

Fenway
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Mood in the NESN production truck in grim as the Rays are 3 outs away from a sweep and being 3 1/2 up in the AL East.

sox1970
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Mood in the NESN production truck in grim as the Rays are 3 outs away from a sweep and being 3 1/2 up in the AL East.

That's a shame.

Fenway
07-02-2008, 09:57 PM
That's a shame.

bloggers are in panic mode already

http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2008/07/never-thought-this-day-would-come.html

ilsox7
07-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Good. Hopefully Boston loses 30 in a row.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:02 PM

:violin:

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:05 PM
:rolling:

Did the folks in Tampa just play Sweet Caroline after sweeping the Sawx.

Nice. Very nice.

Fenway
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Nice. Very nice.

Now we go to da Bronx

If Tampa Bay doesn't draw now they NEVER will

ilsox7
07-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Now we go to da Bronx

36,000 tonight and by all accounts, mostly Rays fans. Seems they are drawing.

doublem23
07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

I don't think you can make that definitive of a statement as long as they play in that dump they try to pass as a baseball stadium.

Fenway
07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
:violin:

Thank You Jack Benny

well if Tampa makes playoffs or wins the division either Boston or New York or both plays golf early

chisoxfanatic
07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, they can lose most of their games; but, it would be nice for them to smack around the Twins.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I would LOVE to have a season where both the Red Sox and Yankees take a hike and don't make the playoffs.

It might even make the post season worth watching.

And I'd absolutely LOVE to see both Fox and ESPN have a seizure knowing their two favorite clubs went right down the toilet.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
07-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I would LOVE to have a season where both the Red Sox and Yankees take a hike and don't make the playoffs.

And I'd absolutely LOVE to see both Fox and ESPN have a seizure knowing their two favorite clubs went right down the toilet.

Lip
I think it might help end all of their east coast bias, actually. They'd see how their constantly throwing us a steady diet of only two teams doesn't really help their ratings, and that they need to give each team their equal share.

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't think you can make that definitive of a statement as long as they play in that dump they try to pass as a baseball stadium.

Exactly.

It's really unfair for the Tampa Organization as well as their fans to be stuck with that Warehouse of a Stadium.

It's almost like they didn't stand a chance to draw well from Day 1. I mean, WHAT ON EARTH WERE THEY THINKING when they built that place?!?!?:scratch:

It's like they went to the drawing board with the mindset of, "How can We possibly make the most boring, sterile and depressing ballpark in the league?" I mean it is BAD, but it really seems like they tried to make it as BAD as possible.

I just don't know how in this era of beautiful stadiums being built that Tampa got such a ****ty stadium! It just makes NO sense!!

At least they have started to make improvements on it, or so I have heard. I have heard that they have added a lot more of the color blue to the stadium. Covering up a lot of the depressing chalk colored concrete with it. That certainly helps, but improvements like that can only help so much.

The biggest disadvantage to that place is that they have a roof that is not retractable.

I have heard people say that they had no choice but to build a dome because the Florida summers are so brutal. There are several things wrong with that belief. 1. Yes, the summers in Florida are brutal and having a nice air-conditioned dome was probably not a bad idea. But why could they not make it a retractable roof??? That makes MUCH more sense!! There are many summer nights in Florida where you could open the roof and enjoy the evening. And 2. Correct Me if I am wrong, but don't the Florida Marlins play in a Open Air Stadium??? Miami is even hotter and more humid than Tampa. They seem to get along just fine with their "roof-less" stadium.

Anyways, this is a GREAT STORY in 2008!!! GOOOOOOOOOOO RAYS!!!!!:bandance:

thomas35forever
07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
I am nervous about the White Sox facing the Rays in the playoffs if it happens. Even if did face them and lost, I would still root for them the rest of the way.

gf2020
07-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Me? I'd rather they sweep the Twins next week. But again, that's just me.

DSpivack
07-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Exactly.

It's really unfair for the Tampa Organization as well as their fans to be stuck with that Warehouse of a Stadium.

It's almost like they didn't stand a chance to draw well from Day 1. I mean, WHAT ON EARTH WERE THEY THINKING when they built that place?!?!?:scratch:

It's like they went to the drawing board with the mindset of, "How can We possibly make the most boring, sterile and depressing ballpark in the league?" I mean it is BAD, but it really seems like they tried to make it as BAD as possible.

I just don't know how in this era of beautiful stadiums being built that Tampa got such a ****ty stadium! It just makes NO sense!!

At least they have started to make improvements on it, or so I have heard. I have heard that they have added a lot more of the color blue to the stadium. Covering up a lot of the depressing chalk colored concrete with it. That certainly helps, but improvements like that can only help so much.

The biggest disadvantage to that place is that they have a roof that is not retractable.

I have heard people say that they had no choice but to build a dome because the Florida summers are so brutal. There are several things wrong with that belief. 1. Yes, the summers in Florida are brutal and having a nice air-conditioned dome was probably not a bad idea. But why could they not make it a retractable roof??? That makes MUCH more sense!! There are many summer nights in Florida where you could open the roof and enjoy the evening. And 2. Correct Me if I am wrong, but don't the Florida Marlins play in a Open Air Stadium??? Miami is even hotter and more humid than Tampa. They seem to get along just fine with their "roof-less" stadium.

What on earth were they thinking? They were thinking the White Sox would soon move into it.

What baffles me is that they got an expansion team without any plans for a real stadium.

That said, the same can be said for their Florida brethren. The Marlins attendance (read: revenue) woes and stadium issues are probably worse than that of the Rays.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2008, 01:39 AM

Nice. Very nice.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/pwned-48495.jpg

Soxfanspcu11
07-03-2008, 02:42 AM
What on earth were they thinking? They were thinking the White Sox would soon move into it.

What baffles me is that they got an expansion team without any plans for a real stadium.

That said, the same can be said for their Florida brethren. The Marlins attendance (read: revenue) woes and stadium issues are probably worse than that of the Rays.

That's a great point.

It seems that these days, they won't even think about granting a city an expansion franchise unless they have really solid plans for a solid stadium. And I would assume that the Rays current stadium most certainly does not pass as "solid". If they were supposed to join the league these days, like if their first season was to be the 2009 season, I really don't think it would have gone through if they showed that stadium as the stadium that they would play in.

Kind of reminds me of the Charlotte Hornets and the stadium that was built for them. I remember that the franchise was BLASTED because it looked like they put absolutely 0 thought into their arena. Writers said that it was one of the worst stadiums that they had ever seen.

In their case though, it wasn't just piss poor planning. They built their stadium IIRC, like a year or two before they started to make "Club" Levels and Private Boxes a major asset of the stadium. They were just the victims of horrible timming. So that ended up being one of the major complaints about that stadium, that it did not include those "essential" sections. Crappy Luck I spose.

hose
07-03-2008, 06:42 AM
I flipped over to the Rays game on ESPN and they are hard not to like----outside of the of Dick Vitale(Ray season ticket holder) interview.:o:

I'm sure good old Dave Wills is loving it.

Red Barchetta
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Exactly.

All very good points above. Some of the original Tropicana renditions had a tarp-like roof vs. the fixed dome they have today. It looked like an ugly Shea Stadium (I mean ugl-IER Shea Stadium) with a tent over it.

The dome was built cheaply and quickly to draw a major league expansion team. The St. Pete expansion committee could then sell the fact they alread had a baseball-specific facility already waiting for a team. The strategy worked.

At that time, the only retractable roof model was Skydome which was too cost prohibitive for a facility that did not have a full-time tennant.

What many don't see on TV is the crappy mixed color scheme; purple, green, blue, light blue and yellow all intermixed in the concrete concourses, seats and walls. They also have fake brick wallpaper installed in various areas to try and project a retro feel? The dome is really made of brick?! Jeesh, it doesn't fool anybody.

I do think the current owners have done a great job in trying to attract fans. They offered free parking a few years ago and cleaned up the dome as much as possible. They now have built a competitive team and the locals want a few winning seasons before they support a new ballpark. The challenge is that they won't be able to attract or maintain quality players until they get out of that dome. Hmmm - $10M to play in Tropicana or $10M to play in Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, The Cell, Wrigley Field, etc.

A.T. Money
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
The Rays need to trade, NO ONE.

Maybe the only thing they need to touch up is the pen, but they can be dangerous for many moons.

Good for them though, I'm happy that organization is finally winning. Maybe this will lead to nice new stadium for them.

VenturaFan23
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Way to go Rays! :bandance:

Don't stop now!

MeteorsSox4367
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I flipped over to the Rays game on ESPN and they are hard not to like----outside of the of Dick Vitale(Ray season ticket holder) interview.:o:

I'm sure good old Dave Wills is loving it.

I've listened to Dave doing the Rays games on XM Radio and he sounds good and like he's having fun broadcasting a winning team. I'm happy for Dave, Tampa Bay and the rest of us who are sick and tired of the AL East being all things Yankees and Boston.

Bump34
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
It was a great series!!! And thanks for the Rays love!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Rays attendance is up better than 40% the highest increase in baseball... and the Tampa Bay area is jumping on the bandwagon... hardly anyone is talking about Bucs/Gators/Noles/Canes/Bulls training camps...

The sweep over the Red Sox meant more to the team in the long run... but the sweep over the Cubs was absolutely awesome... We are getting to the point where anything less than a playoff berth would be disappointing...

As far as the Trop is concerned... its been soooo loud in there that last several home games... it is truly becoming a home field advantage... If you haven't been there the last couple of years... ownership spent over $20 million dollars to spruce it up... and while it is not Safeco Field, Camden or U.S. Cellular... its better than it looks on TV... I had never been to the Trop before my interview and when I saw it in person for the first time I realized TV does not do it justice... because I too thought it was a dump on TV...

The team is currently working with a community coalition to try and gain support for and decide where to build a new ballpark... The waterfront park would have been nice... but we were moving too fast for the folks down here... In my perfect world the park would be built on the east side of Tampa near the state fairgrounds at I-75 and I-4... this would open up the northern counties and the Orlando market while keeping in play the Sarasota/Manatee counties as well... Orlando is NOT an option...

Nice to see the White Sox put together some wins... especially this past weekend...

See you in August... and dare I say maybe October too!!!

AZChiSoxFan
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
It was a great series!!! And thanks for the Rays love!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Rays attendance is up better than 40% the highest increase in baseball... and the Tampa Bay area is jumping on the bandwagon... hardly anyone is talking about Bucs/Gators/Noles/Canes/Bulls training camps...

The sweep over the Red Sox meant more to the team in the long run... but the sweep over the Cubs was absolutely awesome... We are getting to the point where anything less than a playoff berth would be disappointing...

As far as the Trop is concerned... its been soooo loud in there that last several home games... it is truly becoming a home field advantage... If you haven't been there the last couple of years... ownership spent over $20 million dollars to spruce it up... and while it is not Safeco Field, Camden or U.S. Cellular... its better than it looks on TV... I had never been to the Trop before my interview and when I saw it in person for the first time I realized TV does not do it justice... because I too thought it was a dump on TV...

The team is currently working with a community coalition to try and gain support for and decide where to build a new ballpark... The waterfront park would have been nice... but we were moving too fast for the folks down here... In my perfect world the park would be built on the east side of Tampa near the state fairgrounds at I-75 and I-4... this would open up the northern counties and the Orlando market while keeping in play the Sarasota/Manatee counties as well... Orlando is NOT an option...

Nice to see the White Sox put together some wins... especially this past weekend...

See you in August... and dare I say maybe October too!!!

Always great to see you post.

Here's to the Sox and Rays meeting in the ALCS. :gulp:

A.T. Money
07-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Good to see you Willsy.

gf2020
07-03-2008, 06:46 PM
This Rays love makes me sick (except for Willsy.) I want homefield advantage over wins the AL East, so Rays losses are just as important as Red Sox and Yankees losses if not more so.

Red Barchetta
07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
This Rays love makes me sick (except for Willsy.) I want homefield advantage over wins the AL East, so Rays losses are just as important as Red Sox and Yankees losses if not more so.

I don't think it's so much Rays love as it is the utter enthusiasm that we don't have to see the Red Sawx and Yankees atop their division. I know ESPN would hate it, however I would love to see the Rays or anyone else in the east win that division (with a worse record than our White Sox of course) and have the wild card come out of the Central or West division completing locking out the Red Sawx and Yankees from the post season.

BTW - Hi Willsy! :smile: I moved to Sarasota area a few years ago and hit all the SOX-Rays games plus a few more each year. You're right about the noise factor being a big part of the Rays home field advantage, however I think you're just being nice about the other facets of the park. I was in Chicago last weekend for the SOX-Cubs series and forgot how nice US Cellular is now post renovations. I really miss open-air baseball.

I like your idea about a new ballpark near the I4/I75 fairgrounds, however I thought the Rays were in a lock-tight lease with St. Pete.

chaerulez
07-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Lip

No Red Sox and Yankees in October would make for an enjoyable postseason.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
No Red Sox and Yankees in October would make for an enjoyable postseason.

This is what I'm hoping for too. Go RAYS!

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Tampa is at it again. Carlos Pena just tied the Royals 3-3 with a shot off Soria in the 9th. They go to the 10th inning.

The Yanks are in trouble tomorrow.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-07-2008, 09:20 PM
If the Sox don't make the World Series, I'm hoping for a Rays vs Brewers World Series. The TV ratings would be dreadful, but I would love every second.

chaerulez
07-07-2008, 11:21 PM
If the Sox don't make the World Series, I'm hoping for a Rays vs Brewers World Series. The TV ratings would be dreadful, but I would love every second.

Anything that makes ESPN miserable would make me happy. Just think about the garbage coverage we'd get if it was Red Sox vs. Cubs.

areilly
07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Anything that makes ESPN miserable would make me happy. Just think about the garbage coverage we'd get if it was Red Sox vs. Cubs.

I'd have no choice but to go out of town for a few days, most likely to a city nowhere near an MLB team.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I'd have no choice but to go out of town for a few days, most likely to a city nowhere near an MLB team.

I'll go with you.How is "Gilligan's Island" during the month of October??:D::D:

Fenway
07-10-2008, 05:54 PM
All Tampa had to do was win ONE game in New York and they could not do it.

Yankees are now back in the hunt.

chaerulez
07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
All Tampa had to do was win ONE game in New York and they could not do it.

Yankees are now back in the hunt.

How is going 2-0 or 1-1 in a two game series really that different? Yeah, a split would've been nice and a season can come down to one game, but a two game sweep isn't the end of the world.

Fenway
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
How is going 2-0 or 1-1 in a two game series really that different? Yeah, a split would've been nice and a season can come down to one game, but a two game sweep isn't the end of the world.

It was a 3 game series

palehozenychicty
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
It was a 3 game series

Between the Rays and Yanks? Nope. It was two, partner. The Rays got blown out by Cleveland yesterday, but they'll be okay.

Fenway
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Between the Rays and Yanks? Nope. It was two, partner. The Rays got blown out by Cleveland yesterday, but they'll be okay.

Me bad....The Rays lost to Kansas City on Monday.

I really hope it stays a 3 team race all the way to the end.

Rocky Soprano
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I'll go with you.How is "Gilligan's Island" during the month of October??:D::D:

My eyes are burning!

soxpride724
07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Me bad....The Rays lost to Kansas City on Monday.

I really hope it stays a 3 team race all the way to the end.

Really? I hope the Rays sail into the playoffs, the sawx can have the wild card.

Britt Burns
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
The Rays are for real. I see them putting up a pretty good fight the last half of the season, and they have the farm system to bring in some vets for the stretch run if they are so inclined. (Seriously-no teal!)

kobo
07-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Really? I hope the Rays sail into the playoffs, the sawx can have the wild card.
:tealtutor:

Domeshot17
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I think the Rays are for real, although I think next year is the year they make the playoffs, not this one. I will say this though, they aren't the Nationals where they go into the break teasing everyone with guys playing way over their head. This is a quality young team that has the right mix of veterans where they need them.

getonbckthr
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Steinbrenner really needs to shut up. Tampa has been down the last couple of days but he essentially called them back out.

kitekrazy
07-12-2008, 01:55 PM

It's not that bad. I think the Red Sox are the team that could beat the Cubs.
Losing a World Series is just as bad as not making it in my book. They don't give trophies to WS losers.