PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Tribune Live right now

JermaineDye05
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
they're talking about the Sox-Cubs series, and big Cub fan Dave Kaplan started bitching about the umpiring. I thought it was funny cause the entire panel started getting on him. I agree the Cubs got screwed on a couple plays, none that really mattered though. I mean Crede struck out anyways and I don't think that extra out really would have mattered either. I recommend watching the replay later tonight as I think it's a classic Chicago Tribune Live moment, Kaplan showing his true colors.

PicktoCLick72
06-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I love how they hardly talked about the game because he was complaining about the umps. What a hack!!

Blueprint1
06-30-2008, 06:00 PM
they're talking about the Sox-Cubs series, and big Cub fan Dave Kaplan started bitching about the umpiring. I thought it was funny cause the entire panel started getting on him. I agree the Cubs got screwed on a couple plays, none that really mattered though. I mean Crede struck out anyways and I don't think that extra out really would have mattered either. I recommend watching the replay later tonight as I think it's a classic Chicago Tribune Live moment, Kaplan showing his true colors.

What are these bad calls everyone was talking about? I really must have missed them. I was at the game last night and i didn't see them.

JermaineDye05
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
What are these bad calls everyone was talking about? I really must have missed them. I was at the game last night and i didn't see them.

When Lou got tossed, there was a check swing not called on Crede. It was about as bad as the one in LA when Coop pulled his hammy. It didn't really matter since Crede struck out a couple pitches later anyways. The other one was a double play called on Cedeno when he was safe by a good amount.

ilsox7
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
The home plate umpire last night was awful. Many of his inconsistencies favored the Sox. But crying about umpiring is pathetic (sadly, many Sox fans do the same).

JermaineDye05
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
But crying about umpiring is pathetic (sadly, many Sox fans do the same).

:hawk

"THAT IS TOTAL BS!!"

ilsox7
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
:hawk

"THAT IS TOTAL BS!!"

There's your worst offender, probably in all of baseball. Borderline un-listenable b/c of it.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I used to religiously tape and watch Chicago Tribune Live! every day because I really enjoyed the show.

Now that Kaplan took over I have ceased ever watching it.

I've also let my contacts at Comcast know exactly why and Kaplan is reason #1.

Lip

JB98
06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I used to religiously tape and watch Chicago Tribune Live! every day because I really enjoyed the show.

Lip

Same here. That guy should stay on WGN radio, which I never listen to either.

sox1970
06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Kaplan is a tool. During the Sox segments, he always brings it around to the Cubs. It's comical.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
There's your worst offender, probably in all of baseball. Borderline un-listenable b/c of it.

Ain't that the truth. I like Hawk's idiosyncrasies, but lately it seems that he's really been yapping about balls and strikes. I sometimes ask myself if his constant harping gets to the team too. It seems that the Sox complain about balls and strikes a lot, and that it gets to them too.

cws05champ
06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
How about the AJ check swing that went the Cubs way last weekend in a situation that really mattered (9th inning winning run on 3rd)? Didn't hear him complain about that...

SpartanSoxFan
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Ha, Mike Murphy was bitching about THE EXACT SAME THING during his 12:00-2:00 PM broadcast today.

http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/wscr/UserFiles/Image/Time_Feature_On_Air/Email-Murph.jpg

"Oh, I'm not mad at those two guys. They shouldn't have been there in the first place."

Ok, Murph....:rolleyes:

EuroSox35
06-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Even chicagosports.com had 'the umpires' as a poll option for their player of the game poll. Very weak, leave it to the second city media to look embarrassing again. Where were they when Cabrera's good HR was called foul, which was Huge??

Madscout
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Even chicagosports.com had 'the umpires' as a poll option for their player of the game poll. Very weak, leave it to the second city media to look embarrassing again. Where were they when Cabrera's good HR was called foul, which was Huge??
Rooting for a second win. Beyond weak.

slavko
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I was impressed by Dave Van Dyck's knowledge and reasonableness and Cubbie loving Kaplan does have host type skills. I suspect we'll have him to kick around for a good long time.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Euro:

That's because Cabrera's ball was foul and hit the screen just to the left of the pole.

Slavko:

I think he signed a three or a four year deal to host this. (Looks like I won't be watching for a long time.) Kaplan still looks scared to death out there, he's so stiff, like someone drove a spike up his spine.

Lip

Zisk77
06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Kaplan looks like one of those aliens that supposedly inhabit Roswell NM.

hose
06-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Dan Pleasac is good.

chisoxmike
06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Kaplan is a tool. During the Sox segments, he always brings it around to the Cubs. It's comical.

Who can forget when they were doing the White Sox 2008 preview the Friday before the season started he talked about Kerry Wood's 20 strike out game and the magical Yankees/Cubs series in 2003.

TDog
07-01-2008, 12:43 AM
The home plate umpire last night was awful. Many of his inconsistencies favored the Sox. But crying about umpiring is pathetic (sadly, many Sox fans do the same).

Home plate umpiring is often bad. In tonight's Giants game, I thought Zito was going to get himself tossed by arguing balls that he thought were strikes. But Cubs fans don't mind it when balls are called on just about every pitch their hitters don't swing at. The Giants may have been getting a small strike zone too, but they didn't take advantage of it.

Arguing check swing calls is fruitless. The base umpire more than 100 feet away doesn't get nearly as good a few of the play as the viewer gets on television. Most check swings, when shown in slow motion, look like swings. In this case, the non-call only forced the Cubs to throw a couple of extra pitches before getting the strikeout. The play was no factor in the Sox scoring, although it got Piniella ejected because he was foolish enough to argue it.

The play at first was close. It looked like it might have been missed by the umpire when you slowed down the play. I thought when I saw it that the throw rolled out of Swisher's glove, but the announcers did not say anything about anything like that. No one from WSI has posted that Swisher may have dropped or juggled the ball, so I have to assume the flash of white was something other than the ball. The Sox got the call, but it's doubtful the Cubs getting the call would have changed the outcome.

Tonight in my car, I was listening to Jon Miller call the Giants game. He called a Giants runner safe and then corrected himself, saying the umpire ruled him out. He left it at that.

Sometimes I am depressed with the umpiring in a game. But I know that whining about it only reflects poorly on the whiner. Maybe whiners who congregate in groups where their whining is celebrated don't mind.

TommyJohn
07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Who can forget when they were doing the White Sox 2008 preview the Friday before the season started he talked about Kerry Wood's 20 strike out game and the magical Yankees/Cubs series in 2003.

Are you freaking serious?

John Kass has written a couple of columns that portray Kaplan as borderline demented in his Cubness. An exaggeration to be sure, but based on what I am reading here, not much of one.

balke
07-01-2008, 08:35 AM
As someone mentioned, AJ got called out in the Wrigley series on a bad call. Also, Jose got squeezed to death that series, and I remember one other bad check swing call against the Sox because I remember that ump at 3rd pretty much showboating all game.

But yeah, complain about how a half step cost the Cubs that game.

spawn
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
The play at first was close. It looked like it might have been missed by the umpire when you slowed down the play. I thought when I saw it that the throw rolled out of Swisher's glove, but the announcers did not say anything about anything like that. No one from WSI has posted that Swisher may have dropped or juggled the ball, so I have to assume the flash of white was something other than the ball. The Sox got the call, but it's doubtful the Cubs getting the call would have changed the outcome.

No, that was definitely the ball on the ground, but he dropped it while taking it out of his glove.

MeteorsSox4367
07-01-2008, 09:40 AM

Lip

Lip: When Buehrle was struggling earlier in the season, Kaplan inferred to his panel on one of the shows that perhaps Buehrle was washed up and that the Sox goofed big-time when they re-signed him.

Hey Dave, what do you think of Buehrle now? Is he done? Hardly.