PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome Question...

getonbckthr
06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
For everyone, and this includes at times myself, if Adam Dunn was on our team would we be bitching about him being in the lineup? In all seriousness I would say no, and that is basically what Thome is this season. Their stats are pretty similar. Dunn has a few more homers but he plays in the NL where the pitching isn't as good and Thome was benched for a majority of interleague play.

hawkjt
06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I feel a Thome barrage coming on...altho Cliff Lee and CC are tough lefties. Ok, I know he took CC deep but I am not counting on that again. Is it just me or does it seem like there is more lefties than ever...Oakland has a few coming in this weekend also. I think Jimmy just needs to see more rightys. Maybe next week vs the Rangers and KC will be his time to break out.

bigdommer
06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
It could be Ty Cobb in Thome's spot and if he doesn't get a hit Sox fans would be complaining about him. Heck, most Sox fans probably think his HR from last night shouldn't count because it didn't tie the game or take the lead.

BRDSR
06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
What's Dunn getting paid (I honestly don't know)?

Expectations vary from player to player. You get certain players because you can afford to pay for the expectations that come with them.

My expectations for Thome are not his career averages, and you don't find me bitching about his aggregate production. It's his performance in situation-specific at-bats that drives me nuts. He takes the same approach to every at-bat regardless of what the White Sox need at the time. I don't think he's selfish (far from it), but he is one-dimensional in the extreme.

getonbckthr
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
What's Dunn getting paid (I honestly don't know)?

Expectations vary from player to player. You get certain players because you can afford to pay for the expectations that come with them.

My expectations for Thome are not his career averages, and you don't find me bitching about his aggregate production. It's his performance in situation-specific at-bats that drives me nuts. He takes the same approach to every at-bat regardless of what the White Sox need at the time. I don't think he's selfish (far from it), but he is one-dimensional in the extreme.
According to MLB4u.com Thome makes 14 million per season (we pay I believe 8.5) and Dunn mkaes 13 million. So the difference isn't big at all.

bigdommer
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I think Thome is one-dimensional is because he is paid to be one-dimesional. He's plays offense only, he's judge solely on numbers, and he's the only left handed power hitter in the middle of a lineup that revolves around the long ball. If he starts hitting the ball the other way and laying down sacrifice bunts it just passes the responsibility to the guy behind him.

jabrch
06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I think Thome is one-dimensional is because he is paid to be one-dimesional. He's plays offense only, he's judge solely on numbers, and he's the only left handed power hitter in the middle of a lineup that revolves around the long ball. If he starts hitting the ball the other way and laying down sacrifice bunts it just passes the responsibility to the guy behind him.

He's actually no more one-dimensional than Dunn. Although Dunn "plays" OF, he is a liability there. As a FA, I am guessing he goes somewhere that he doesn't have to play too much defense.

UofCSoxFan
06-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Or if Ryan Howard was on our team?

Talk about the epitome of HR or nothing.

JB98
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
As an aside, I thought Thome showed that he can still hit the fastball last night. Ascanio was throwing hard. Didn't stop Jim from turning that heater around.

BRDSR
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
According to MLB4u.com Thome makes 14 million per season (we pay I believe 8.5) and Dunn mkaes 13 million. So the difference isn't big at all.

Wow...in that case, I'd be bitching mostly about KW paying Adam Dunn $13 million a year to play baseball on the South Side.

bigdommer
06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Of course, Thome went deep again. We need more "Dump Thome" threads.