PDA

View Full Version : Half-Way Mark...

getonbckthr
06-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Now that we are at the halfway mark looking at the standings a bunch of teams are pretty much done. In the American League I figure there to be 7 teams left. Going with Anaheim and for now Oakland in the west. Rangers have been a surprise so far but I don't imagine them being anything more than a .500 team all season. In the central due to their sudden surge Detroit barely snuck in. I figure Cleveland and Kansas City are done and expect rumors to start flying. In the EAst i'm saying it now The YANKEES are Done. It won't be like in previous years where they make their comeback. Unlike in previous seasons where there was Boston and then everyone else bunched up, this season there is 2 teams the Yanks gotta catch. Add in they have no pitching and a lineup thats looks at times extremely old and I officially have pronounced the Bronx dead.
...In the NL you gotr the whole East except Washington still fighting simply because Philadelphia didn't put it to bed. Everyone is talking about the Mets talent waking up and th Braves because of MNGR Bobby Cox and Mark Texiera but the team i'm looking at is the Marlins. You let them hang around long enough and you have a bunch of young guys stupid enough not to realize they aren't supposed to be there yet. In the central its a 3 horse race between the Cubs, Cards and Brewers. The Cubs will have the oppertunity to take this division and run as they have a lot left against both teams. "Z's" injury might be a blessing if he is ok and able to come back fine starting Friday. They do need Soriano back and healthy and they need to hope Ramirez's "domestic issue" in the Dominican doesn't cause a concentration problem. I'm not sure of the issue but we all remember when Jose had domestic issues. In the West its a 3 team race only because Arizona has choked there big lead away, LA has a team a veterans with Joe Torre at the helm, and the Giants are only 5 back with some very good pitching. Ultimately I imagine Schmidt and Jones to come back and propel the Dodgers ahead of the DBacks.

Boondock Saint
06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Although half a season has passed, there's a half season left, and therefore it's too early to write anyone off. Detroit went from being a 0% chance of making the playoffs after one month to being 5 games back. Arizona went from being a lock for the playoffs to struggling to stay atop a struggling division. Teams may fall off, get injured, et cetera, while some underachieving teams may find their groove, bring up rookie studs, et cetera. You never know, and that's why baseball's great.

hawkjt
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Like most Sox fans, I am sick of the Yankees but prudence dictates that you cannot rule them out of the picture this early...they are only 5 back, they have piles of cash and a willingness to take on ridiculous contracts at the trading deadline to compete every year and they have made the playoffs what...like 13 years in a row? Nah....the yanks are in it til the end.

I hope the Brewers or the Dodgers get CC Sabathia...anybody but an AL team or the cubs.

One problem is that the Indians will take a one year hit but probably get a ton of great prospects adding to a team that just last year was close to the World Series. Could be a quick comeback for them in 09.

Wish we played most of our games vs the toons after they dump some players...but we get Lee and CC this week. Lefties with stuff kill the sox. Then the A's come in with Greg Smith who shut us down last time and the rest of the that league leading staff...could be a tough week.

Boondock Saint
06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I hope the Brewers or the Dodgers get CC Sabathia...anybody but an AL team or the cubs.

The Cubs don't have the prospects to get CC. And even if by some miracle of horrible management, the Cubs do land CC, the Indians will be that much worse next season as a result of taking mediocre prospects for an ace.

jabrch
06-30-2008, 04:23 PM
The Cubs don't have the prospects to get CC. And even if by some miracle of horrible management, the Cubs do land CC, the Indians will be that much worse next season as a result of taking mediocre prospects for an ace.

Exactly...Assuming they won't trade Vitters, the best the Cubs can offer is a package of 4-5 mediocre prospects. We could do the same if we wanted - and it shouldn't be enough. The Brewers and the Rays are the teams most suited to give Cleveland what they want/need - top tier talent that is major league ready. If the Indians trade CC to the Cubs, I'd be thrilled as it would (probably) mean they didn't get anyone who is a top tier guy in return.

Beautox
07-01-2008, 04:49 AM
I think if CC gets traded it will make the return for Johan look like a joke; The Brewers and Rays are in at a place where a postseason berth would go a very long way, and the Cubs are at the century mark not even taking into account the red sox and cards.

The Cubs do have the prospects to get it done; the haul the tribe would get from them could possibly rival the Bartolo deal.

I see them giving up the following to deliver CC to them and out of the hands of the cards and brew crew.

Sean Gallagher (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Sean%20Gallagher&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=451595)
Josh Vitters (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Josh%20Vitters&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519388)
Jose Ceda (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Ceda&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=469167)
Wellington Castillo (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Welington%20Castillo&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=456078)

The Tribe is supposedly asking for Soto or Marmol; obviously both of them are huge keys to the cubs season thus far so that isn't going to happen. But Ceda could very well be better than Marmol. Castillo and Vitters offer alot of upside and slot into the indians plan to rebuild and continue to retain their young core, and Gallagher goes right into the rotation.

soxpride724
07-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Exactly...Assuming they won't trade Vitters, the best the Cubs can offer is a package of 4-5 mediocre prospects. We could do the same if we wanted - and it shouldn't be enough. The Brewers and the Rays are the teams most suited to give Cleveland what they want/need - top tier talent that is major league ready. If the Indians trade CC to the Cubs, I'd be thrilled as it would (probably) mean they didn't get anyone who is a top tier guy in return.

Of all the teams in the CC sweepstakes, Milwaukee has the best farm system. I'm calling it now, he goes to the brew crew.:D:

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Of all the teams in the CC sweepstakes, Milwaukee has the best farm system. I'm calling it now, he goes to the brew crew.:D:
Ya but are the Brewers willing to part of them for a 2-3 month rental?

soxpride724
07-01-2008, 01:13 PM

Bruce Levine says yes...

jabrch
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM

If they are willing to give up one of their TOP prospects, it won't require 2 or 3. If they are looking to give up middle tier guys (like the package the Cubs seem to by trying to sell) then it might take 5 of them.

If LaPorta or Parra are available, CC could easy be a Brewer.

Same is true with the Cubs if they are willing to part with Vitters...could be Vitters plus some of the organizational detritus that they keep trying to pawn off as prospects.

DumpJerry
07-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Bruce Levine says yes...
Well, I guess it won't happen.

soxpride724
07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, I guess it won't happen.

Nah, more like a 50/50 with his reporting....

Boondock Saint
07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
The Tribe is supposedly asking for Soto or Marmol; obviously both of them are huge keys to the cubs season thus far so that isn't going to happen. But Ceda could very well be better than Marmol. Castillo and Vitters offer alot of upside and slot into the indians plan to rebuild and continue to retain their young core, and Gallagher goes right into the rotation.

If I was the Cleveland GM, I wouldn't accept any deal not including Marmol. Their bullpen needs SERIOUS work, and Marmol is a solid start. Soto would be nice to have, but catcher isn't a pressing need for them.

jabrch
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
If I was the Cleveland GM, I wouldn't accept any deal not including Marmol. Their bullpen needs SERIOUS work, and Marmol is a solid start. Soto would be nice to have, but catcher isn't a pressing need for them.

The Cubs won't trade guys who are critical to their major league roster.

I'm guessing the only way the Cubs have the best package is if they start with Vitters, then add one of Ceda or Veal, one of their OFs (Pie or Colvin) and then either a Sean (Gallagher or Marshall) or possibly an IF like Patterson or Cedeno.

If Vitters isn't in the deal, I can't see any way Cleveland sends CC to the Cubs.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
ANd if I were the Cubs I would tell Shapiro to stick it and proudly declare to Shapiro that CC will have a similar bank account to Santana.

downstairs
07-01-2008, 04:23 PM
The only teams out of it right now are:

Baltimore
Toronto
Kansas City
Seattle
Washington
Houston
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Colorado
San Diego
San Francisco

sox1970
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Cleveland isn't coming back.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Baltimore
Toronto
Kansas City
Seattle
Washington
Houston
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Colorado
San Diego
San Francisco
I don't think Texas and the NYY have the pitching to compete. The Yanks don't have TB, Balt and Tor to beat up on anymore. Those aren't easy games anymore.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Baltimore
Toronto
Kansas City
Seattle
Washington
Houston
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Colorado
San Diego
San Francisco

Just because the whole division is so bad, at this time I don't think any NL West team can be considered "out of it" by any objective analysis. Now, it is entirely possible that one or more of those NL West teams may tank this month, while another one or two surge. But as of right now, they all have a shot.

PKalltheway
07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Just because the whole division is so bad, at this time I don't think any NL West team can be considered "out of it" by any objective analysis. Now, it is entirely possible that one or more of those NL West teams may tank this month, while another one or two surge. But as of right now, they all have a shot.
I was just about to say the same thing.

With that division becoming more and more of a ****heap with each passing day, I wouldn't rule any of those five teams out.