PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting similarities in the Cubs/Sox series this year

JermaineDye05
06-30-2008, 04:04 PM
So something I noticed Saturday when I was at my mom's for a Cubs-Sox party. After the Sox won, I noticed that the first 2 games for each series were very similar and predicted that because of those similarities that the Sox would have to win on Sunday by an amazing performance by Buehrle, which we did. So here's what I noticed with the 2 series this year they each incorporated the same 3 types of games.

1) The Blowout:

In game 2 at Wrigley Field, Jose Contreras was shelled in the 4th inning giving up 8 ER, 9 total on the day. The Cubs went yard 4 times, scoring 11 runs and winning 11-7.

In game 1 at the Cell, The White Sox got to Ryan Dempster in the 3rd scoring 7 times which included a Nick Swisher grand slam. Dempster left going just 2.1 giving up 8 ER , 7 of which came in that one bad inning.

2) The Nail-biter:

In game 1 at Wrigley Field there was a very nice pitching duel between John Danks and Ted Lilly which would end up being decided by the bullpens. After exiting after 6 John Danks had a 2 run lead, which seemed like no problem for Dotel/Linebrink/Jenks, a tandom which had been working all year. The Sox bp hit a bump in the road however with Octavio Dotel and Scott Linebrink. Octavio gave up back-to-back homers to Lee and Ramirez to tie the ballgame at 3. The Cubs bullpen held the Sox in check, the Sox wasted many scoring opportunities which came back to haunt them in the end as Scott Linebrink gave up a walkoff homerun to Aramis Ramirez in the 9th.

In game 2 at the Cell, both Javier VaZquez and Sean Gallagher started off rough. Javy gave up 2 runs in the first before settling down a bit. The Sox came right back in the bottom half and scored 3. The sox would add another run in the 2nd to make it 4-2. Javy struggled mightily in the game and gave up 3 runs in the 4th giving the Cubs a 5-4 lead. The Sox however bounced right back the bottom half with a homerun from Alexei Ramirez, tying the game at 5. So once again like the game it Wrigley, this one would be decided by the bullpens, the Sox bullpen bounced back from last week throwing 4.2 of scoreless baseball, striking out 7 and walking 0. The Cubs bullpen faltered however, as Carlos Marmol who had been lights out so far this season gave up a homerun to Carlos Quentin in the 7th which would be the deciding factor in the game. Much like the Sox in game 1 at Wrigley, the Cubs squandered many scoring opportunities. Having bases loaded in the 3rd and getting nothing, and an opportunity to tie the game in the 9th with a man on 2nd with 0 outs, they managed nothing.

3) The Dominant Pitching Performance:

In game 3 at Wrigley, the Sox had no chance against Ryan Dempster. A pitcher they would shell not even a week later. Dempster held the Sox to 1 run in 8 IP striking out 4 and walking 1. The Cubs gave him plenty of breathing room, spotting him a 5-0 lead after 5 innings. The Sox grounded into 3 DP's and left 7 men on base. Dempster would remain unbeaten at home as the Cubs went on to win 7-1. The Cubs hit 2 HR's in support of Dempster.

In game 3 at the Cell, Mark Buehrle and the Sox got their revenge. Buehrle went 7 strong innings just giving up 1 unearned run, striking out 5 and walking 2. The Sox gave him some good support, spotting him a 3-0 lead after 5 innings. The Cubs grounded into 2 DP's and and lined into 2 more while leaving 7 men on base. Buehrle would remain unbeaten in Interleague as the Sox would go on to win 5-1. The Sox hit 3 HR's in support of Buehrle.

Some people won't care but I just though these were some interesting similarities in the 2 series. And after all that, Am I ever so happy to be done with Interleague :).

ChicagoHoosier
06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
You stole my thunder, but I had made some simliar comments to a fellow Sox fan last night after the game was over. Even before the game, I was curious if it would end up being a game simliar to last Sunday night and sure enough it was.

Final score of the three series 32-31 Sox.

However, I feel the Sox BLEW game 1 vs. the Cubs and the Cubs didn't blow game 2 on the south side. That's about the only difference is I still feel the Sox should have won one game in Wrigley.

hawkjt
06-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I would have to say this smacks of two very evenly matched teams.

The cubs are the class of the NL so far and the sox are among the top 3-4 AL teams...again showing the strength of the AL.