PDA

View Full Version : 5th starter

voodoochile
05-08-2002, 12:05 AM
So, if Glover continues to stuggle - and yes, I know it is his first start against a strong lefthanded hitting team- but if he does, who gets the 5th slot?

Biddle? Is he truly healthy? Was it just stretching last night? Rock is a competitor and I believe he would have pitched through his arm falling off last night rather than admit he was feeling pain. Will he ever be able to pitch long innings again? If so, he is the obvious choice. If not, who gets the nod?

Ginter? He looked alright tonight and seems to have some nice movement on his fast ball. He has been a starter for most of his career in the minors.

Porzio? Has he ever been a starter? Can he go long innings?

I would like to suggest Marte be considered. He has good command of 3 pitches and has a lively arm. Can he get it up to strength to be a starter? I don't know, but I wouldn't mind seeing him try if for no other reason than it might shut up some of the people crying about the loss of Josh friggin' Fogg...

So, who do you guys think it should be? Honestly, they could put Glover back in the bullpen tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me at all...

cheeses_h_rice
05-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Was Biddle hurting last night? I hadn't heard that.

That said, I think you need to give the slot to Biddle or Glover. I thought Ginter looked OK tonight (he did yield a 2-run homer), but I've never been comfortable with him EVER at the major league level, whereas both Rocky and Glover have performed for stretches and done well.

Porzio? No.

Marte? Maybe a spot start against a lefty-dominated team, but that's it.

Our other options are:

-Rauch. He can't be as bad as he's done. Maybe he can get a call-up in June.
-Parque. I don't want to see him again in pretty much any role.

My ideal 5-man rotation:
1. Buehrle
2. Ritchie
3. Wright
4. Garland
5. Biddle/Glover

It does seem as if the Sox need to deal for another starter, though. That is not a pennant-winning starting 5.

Daver
05-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Leave Glover there till Rocky is ready.
No one has more gnads than he does.

voodoochile
05-08-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Was Biddle hurting last night? I hadn't heard that.

In the last inning that Rock pitched, he started stretching out his shoulders and making some faces. Out of the dugout comes JM and some trainer - not Herm, he wasn't fat enough. They talked on the mound for a while with the Ump listening in. Rock kept saying, "I'm fine, I'm fine." Still, the whole thing was weird. Rock stayed in the game, but it made me nervous. Hope Rock can work his way back to form and get a shot at the rotation...

bc2k
05-08-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

In the last inning that Rock pitched, he started stretching out his shoulders and making some faces. Out of the dugout comes JM and some trainer - not Herm, he wasn't fat enough. They talked on the mound for a while with the Ump listening in. Rock kept saying, "I'm fine, I'm fine." Still, the whole thing was weird. Rock stayed in the game, but it made me nervous. Hope Rock can work his way back to form and get a shot at the rotation...

There was a whole group surrounding Biddle and he must have kept saying, "I'm fine." At the end of the mound conference, with a frustrated look Biddle said, "I'm fine, what the ****!" Right after he said that the crowd went away. I was laughing for two minutes after he said that.

GASHWOUND
05-08-2002, 01:34 AM

Rock explained that he always does that, shake his arm, makes faces, and all that stuff he was doing on the mound as a habbit. He also said that he's always done it and since JM hasn't seem him pitch in a while everybody forgot. So I'll ake his word that he's alright

GASHWOUND
05-08-2002, 01:50 AM
So, if Glover continues to stuggle - and yes, I know it is his first start against a strong lefthanded hitting team- but if he does, who gets the 5th slot?

Biddle? Is he truly healthy? Was it just stretching last night? Rock is a competitor and I believe he would have pitched through his arm falling off last night rather than admit he was feeling pain. Will he ever be able to pitch long innings again? If so, he is the obvious choice. If not, who gets the nod?

Ginter? He looked alright tonight and seems to have some nice movement on his fast ball. He has been a starter for most of his career in the minors.

Porzio? Has he ever been a starter? Can he go long innings?

I would like to suggest Marte be considered. He has good command of 3 pitches and has a lively arm. Can he get it up to strength to be a starter? I don't know, but I wouldn't mind seeing him try if for no other reason than it might shut up some of the people crying about the loss of Josh friggin' Fogg...

So, who do you guys think it should be? Honestly, they could put Glover back in the bullpen tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me at all...

Well, I think Glover will do fine in that 5th spot. I think he will do alot better as he builds up the stamina that a starter needs.

But if Glover can't cut it than the obvious choice is Biddle, if he sucks that we're screwed. I like Ginter right where he is, and a log reliever and maybe a guy to bring i to get a tough righty out once in a while.

Porzio?? LOL!
As soon as Wunch is ready he's going down. And if our last resort is Porzio cause of the failure of Glover and Biddle...like I said...we're screwed.

And Marte, I wouldn't move him, just keephim right where he is. We will need him late in games to get those tough lefties out, and even some righties. He's to important in his current role to make him a 5th starter. Even if Wunch comes back healthy.

So it will either be Biddle or Glover in that 5th spot, personally I would put Biddle in that 5th spot as soon as he gets back to peak condition and put Glover back in that set up role where i like him.
But what are the odds of both Biddle and Glover sucking so much in that 5th spot that we have to resort to putting Porzio, and or Ginter there....

kermittheefrog
05-08-2002, 01:51 AM
Biddle: I think he needs to affirm he's healthy. If he is then he's my pick as fifth starter.

Glover: I think Glover can be useful but I think of him more of a longman out the pen than a starter. I doubt he can be more than a mediocre starter. Right now I think he's the most proven choice.

Ginter: I like Ginter. The organization has never really seen him as a starter longterm but why not give him a shot now? There isn't much to lose in giving him a few starts. He can't be worse than Rauch was. He's got good stuff but hasn't had the kind of minor league success you'd expect from a guy with his kind of stuff. However it's not like Glover was an ace in the minors either and he's done okay as a starter. I think most people would agree Ginter is a little more naturally talented. Ginter is my pick for who should get the fifth job until we know Biddle's status.

Porzio: To answer the question of whether he can go long innings, yes he can. He was mostly a starter in the minors. He made 25 starts last year and exactly half of his minor league games were starts. The problem is he doesn't pitch well enough to start. He's a modest 38-37 4.04 era career in the minors. He doesn't have great stuff and he's walked 10 guys in 10.2 innings. I would be scared if he was in our rotation as more than an emergency guy.

Marte: He failed as a starter in the minors and landed in the pen. His last year as a full time starter was 1998 in AA and he posted an ERA over 5. I think this is another guy to leave alone in the pen.

BuehrleACE56
05-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Biddle is my choice for the 5th spot. The fans here love the guy. They were shouting and cheering for him when he walked to the bullpen before his first game back for Charlotte. The guy is a competitor and when he gets his arm strength back and his stuff looks good and he is ready then I put hm back in the rotation. Glover will do fine for the time being but he's not going to be any more than a decent starting pitcher. I like him as the set-up man or in a bit of long relief. Porzio? Porzio? Hell no. He barely gets through his inning from the pen and between the walks and longballs he'll be even more of a big headache. Once Wunsch is healthy, Porzio is gone back to AAA. Marte is doing awesome from the pen getting out tough lefties and even pitching a few late innings. I wasn't sure how to think of his acquisition but so far I really like what I have seen from him. Maybe Rauch could be back before season's end. He'll be all right, just not ready yet.
Rocky Rocky Biddle! He's the man.
:rock

ode to veeck
05-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Rocky's the Man, but needs some more time, there's plenty of season left, and we need healthy arms come October

MattSharp
05-08-2002, 11:28 AM
I thought they said that they want to make Rocky a setup man? Is that just until his arm is ready? or for good?

FanOf14
05-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Biddle is definitely my pick for fifth - when he is healthy and has the stamina to go. No way does Ginter deserve a starting spot, he has proven time and time again that he can't handle that kind of pressure. Unless he went to a sports shrink or something in the offseason, a start isn't something he can handle. I think we need to give Glover at least one more shot - it was his first start in a long time and the defense did nothing to bolster his confidence. If he doesn't cut the mustard next time out, I hope JM has something up his sleeve for a fifth until Rocky is ready.