PDA

View Full Version : Jenks

kingpin_rcs
06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
It seems to me that many times this year when a game has been close and Jenks has started warm up the Sox score a few runs and the save situation is no longer in effect. Sometimes he has come in anyway other times Ozzie has put in Masset or somebody else to finish the game.

So, even though the Sox are winning there are not a lot of save opportunities. The effect of this seems to be that Bobby is not as sharp as we have seen him.

He has been getting through the inning (like last night 6/29) but he isn't dominating.

It it just me or has this been something anybody else has seen as well?

balke
06-30-2008, 12:18 PM
My thoughts on Bobby Jenks:

He's getting the job done. Whether or not the Sox fans think its "Scary", the truth is his ERA is under 2.00 in 32 IP. He's blown 3 saves, and the Sox only lost 1 of those. He has no losses to his credit.

He may be getting it done differently, but he's doing great.

06-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Jenks is fine. He does seem to make things interesting a little more when it is not a Save situation. I think this is all coming up because he had a few outings recently that were not 1,2,3 innings. As balke stated. His ERA/W-L/Saves-Blown Saves are all superb.

Velocity? There.
Movement? There.
Command? This is something he hasn't had the best of lately but we know he will get it back soon. Last night for example he could not get anything breaking over the plate. That's why by the time Derosa came up he was just waiting for the fastball and he hit it hard (thankfully to Swisher).

Bobby will be fine. I doubt this will happen either but we have also some good backup options (Dotel / Thornton) if Jenks was hurt or not getting it done at all anymore.

PatK
06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
I think people are just overreacting because he isn't the strikeout machine he was in 2005 and 2006.

DumpJerry
06-30-2008, 01:03 PM
If Jenks kept throwing the hard heat he was dishing out in 2005, the following would have happened by now:
1. We would be calling him Bobby Koch
2. He'd be out with Tommy John surgery
3. We'd have a different closer who is not as effective.

TDog
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I think people are just overreacting because he isn't the strikeout machine he was in 2005 and 2006.

Yet, he still can shut down the opponent with men in scoring position, especially third base with less than two out. Sunday night's game was unusual because he couldn't get his curve over and the Cubs hitters weren't swinging at it with two strikes, as hitters on many other teams have. That could have been because his control of his breaking stuff was so bad. You can't always tell what you're going to have when you're warming up in the bullpen.

Jenks got a big save in Cleveland in a jam enhanced by an error. He came up big Saturday after surrendering a leadoff double. He isn't the scariest closer in the league. For that matter, he isn't the scariest closer in the city.

pmck003
06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Jenks is fairly low on the number of K's, but he actually has a better k/walk rate than the two league leaders in saves. It's possible not pitching in true save situations could hurt Jenks here, but seeing as how he gets the job done once people are on base seems to me that he is turning it on once there is some pressure. Anyone have a "Being Bobby Jenks" tunnel?

hawkjt
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
The one thing that cannot be measured is the mental toughness of one Bobby Jenks. He has that special closers ability to absolutely focus in crunch time and find a way to get it done, even when he cannot throw his curve for a strike and they are not fishing for it.

SoxGirl4Life
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
The one thing that cannot be measured is the mental toughness of one Bobby Jenks. He has that special closers ability to absolutely focus in crunch time and find a way to get it done, even when he cannot throw his curve for a strike and they are not fishing for it.

He's a monster! It almost seems that he gets into jams just to wiggle outta them! He may need a challenge and after retiring 43 in a row last year, it just got boring. He needs nerves of steal to handle the kinda stuff he did to himself this weekend. Leadoff double in a one run game? Check. 0 runs accross. 2nd and 3rd and no out in a 4 run game? No problem. 0 runs across.

Not that I really believe this, and it sure does frazzle my nerves watching him! I'd like a nice 1-2-3 ninth. Please.

JB98
06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Bobby's breaking ball has been missing for most of the year. He hasn't been able to get it over with much consistency.

If he finds it again, he'll be dominating. As it stands right now, he's battling through on the strength of his fastball.

Chicken Dinner
06-30-2008, 05:50 PM
He needs to throw strikes and quit walking people. His command seems to be off a little.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
The good thing about Jenks--while he is struggling to get his breaking ball over effectively--is he gets a lot of ground balls. I could not find stats on that, but for balls put into play that result in outs, my guess it's 2-1 ground outs to fly outs. Anyone know a site that gives that info?