PDA

View Full Version : Interleague Wrap-up: AL Dominates NL

Hitmen77
06-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Good summary by Phil Rogers. The AL comes out ahead 149-102, which is a .594 winning percentage.

The Royals were 13-5 vs. the NL.:o:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080629-rogers-chicago-white-sox-cubs,0,3978481.column

russ99
06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but the mighty Red Sox lost 2 of 3 in Houston this weekend.

Since I'm also an Astros fan, my brother - who's a huge Red Sox fan will never hear the end of it. :tongue:

TDog
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
The record, however, doesn't mean that the games weren't competitive.

The Rockies won series from the White Sox, Twins and Indians, but were swept in Detroit. The Rockies really should have beaten the Tigers Saturday and could have beaten the Tigers on Sunday, but they didn't and finished 7-8 against the American League. Only the Mets and Braves in the National League had winning interleague records. The remaining make-up game between the Yankees and Pirates won't change that, whatever the result. In the American League, the Mariners played .500. The Blue Jays were two games below .500 and the Indians, who played one third of their interleague games against the Reds, went 6-12.

In fact, many of the games were competitive. The three White Sox wins in San Francisco weren't necessarily easy. But they won them. And when it's over, the 12-6 White Sox had the fourth-best interleague record in their division. The big AL edge stands out most in the AL Central. The White Sox were tied with Tampa Bay (which also swept the Cubs at home) for the league's fourth-best interleague record.

It could be that the AL Central teams really do comprise the toughest division in baseball, started playing like it against the National League, playing great ball and could have beaten anyone, save the Indians and the White Sox in Wrigley. It could be that the AL Central has fattened up on inferior NL teams because they played so many games against the NL West. The upcoming weeks will tell.

However, I won't complain about the inequities of losing two games to Detroit out of the random interleague schedule. If the Sox had swept the Rockies at home, as the Tigers did, the Sox and Tigers would have had the same interleague record.

skottyj242
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
The record, however, doesn't mean that the games weren't competitive.

The Rockies won series from the White Sox, Twins and Indians, but were swept in Detroit. The Rockies really should have beaten the Tigers Saturday and could have beaten the Tigers on Sunday, but they didn't and finished 7-8 against the American League. Only the Mets and Braves in the National League had winning interleague records. The remaining make-up game between the Yankees and Pirates won't change that, whatever the result. In the American League, the Mariners played .500. The Blue Jays were two games below .500 and the Indians, who played one third of their interleague games against the Reds, went 6-12.

In fact, many of the games were competitive. The three White Sox wins in San Francisco weren't necessarily easy. But they won them. And when it's over, the 12-6 White Sox had the fourth-best interleague record in their division. The big AL edge stands out most in the AL Central. The White Sox were tied with Tampa Bay (which also swept the Cubs at home) for the league's fourth-best interleague record.

It could be that the AL Central teams really do comprise the toughest division in baseball, started playing like it against the National League, playing great ball and could have beaten anyone, save the Indians and the White Sox in Wrigley. It could be that the AL Central has fattened up on inferior NL teams because they played so many games against the NL West. The upcoming weeks will tell.

However, I won't complain about the inequities of losing two games to Detroit out of the random interleague schedule. If the Sox had swept the Rockies at home, as the Tigers did, the Sox and Tigers would have had the same interleague record.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

CRAW
06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

LOL!

A win is a win is a win.

PKalltheway
06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Only the Mets and Braves in the National League had winning interleague records.
The Reds also had a winning record in interleague, finishing 9-6. Doesn't change much though.