05-07-2002, 10:59 PM
I do nothing but mash...can I play?

http://www.baseballpix.com/players/b/borchard2.jpg

Joe: 2-3, HR, 3 RBI, run scored, bb

cheeses_h_rice
05-07-2002, 11:05 PM
:lofton

Hi, I'm Kenny.

No, you can't play. At least 'til the Sox kick me out of Center Field!

Vsahajpal
05-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Did I mention I have light tower power from both sides of the plate?

http://www.baseballpix.com/players/b/borchard6.jpg

Vsahajpal
05-07-2002, 11:10 PM
heh

DrCrawdad
05-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Where has LTP played, CF? RF?

If LTP is playing CF, has anyone seen him play CF? How does LTP look out in the field? Not just stats, but does LTP look awkward?

Somehow I don't really see Borchard playing CF for the Sox. I can see the big guy in either LF or RF (with Maggs playing LF).

I hope LTP continues to do well in AAA and then gets up here in June or July.

- DrCrawdad

Chisox_cali
05-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Where has LTP played, CF? RF?

If LTP is playing CF, has anyone seen him play CF? How does LTP look out in the field? Not just stats, but does LTP look awkward?

Somehow I don't really see Borchard playing CF for the Sox. I can see the big guy in either LF or RF (with Maggs playing LF).

I hope LTP continues to do well in AAA and then gets up here in June or July.

- DrCrawdad

Maybe we can see him bust an Adam Dunn. That would be SWEET.

I can't remember who but I think it was TSN who said something to that extent.

Bmr31
05-08-2002, 02:22 AM
Can we please NOT bring him up yet? The sox tend to rush their prospects and its killing us. On a similar note, this gives me a chance to rant. WHAT THE HELL were the sox thinking with rauch? The guy is not ready AND hes coming off an injury. So...we let him get shelled and send him down. What can this do to his confidence other than destroy it????????

jklm
05-08-2002, 03:35 AM
Rather than Adam Dunn, I think and I hope he will compare to Lance Berkman. Both were college sluggers who were switched to CF in pro ball. (if i remember correctly, Lance Berkman was a 1B!) Both are switch-hitting, slugging CF. They may even share similar draft day story. I guess when Joe Borchard was found to be available, Jerry Reinsdorf was asked for a few more bucks added to the draft budget too...

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/3220307.htm

The Rice University baseball field is only about a mile or two from the Astrodome.

Given that proximity, you would think that sometime in the spring of 1997, Houston Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker would have slipped away from the office and taken a peek at Lance Berkman. After all, the kid belted 41 homers and drove in 134 runs for Rice that season, and the Astros eventually made him their first-round draft pick that June.

Hunsicker, though, never made the drive over to Rice.

No, he wasn't saving his scouting trips for those that were rewarded with frequent-flier miles.

He was just being realistic.

"We didn't think we had a chance of getting him," Hunsicker said yesterday. "Our scouting director had him on a list that said 'Will not be there.' So, not only did I not see him, we didn't talk about him in our pre-draft discussions because we picked in the middle of the pack, and we thought he'd be gone."

The morning of the draft, Hunsicker picked up a copy of Baseball America. In it was a mock draft. The magazine had Berkman going after the Astros picked in the 16th spot.

Hunsicker went over to scouting director David Lakey's office.

"Do you think there's a chance?" Hunsicker, pointing at Berkman's name, asked Lakey.

"Well," Lakey said, "I guess there's always a chance."

Hunsicker scurried back to his office, just in case the chance became reality. He phoned Drayton McLane, the team's owner, and made a plea for a few more dollars - OK, another half-million - to be added to the draft budget just in case this local hitting machine was available when the Astros' pick rolled around.

"Signability was a real issue for us that year," Hunsicker said. "We had a half-million budgeted and were set to draft a guy who was really more of a second-round type. But I told Drayton this was a local kid and he could turn out to be pretty special. Drayton approved the money."

Hunsicker shudders to think what might have happened if he hadn't made that phone call to McLane, or if McLane had been unreachable, or if McLane hadn't approved the $1 million signing bonus that Berkman eventually got.

Randar68
05-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jklm
Rather than Adam Dunn, I think and I hope he will compare to Lance Berkman. Both were college sluggers who were switched to CF in pro ball. (if i remember correctly, Lance Berkman was a 1B!) Both are switch-hitting, slugging CF. They may even share similar draft day story. I guess when Joe Borchard was found to be available, Jerry Reinsdorf was asked for a few more bucks added to the draft budget too...

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/3220307.htm

BTW, We picked one slot ahead of Houston in that draft and selected Jason Dallaero. BLA!

Also, I don't think Joe is as advanced as Dunn at this point. Dunn will probably hit for a bit higher average and is more selective at the plate. That being said, if Joe improves his pitch selection and can see some better/more pitches in each at bat, he has the same type of power potential as Dunn does.