PDA

View Full Version : Cubs pinch hit in 9th.

doctor30th
06-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Not that it matters since the game didn't continue but Ward Pinch hit for Blanco. So there was only 2 options if that game would have continued, they would have had to use an emergency backup catcher or Soto would have had to Catch and the pitcher would have had to bat for himself.

Usually they talk about how AL managers screw up in the NL parks but I think this might be a case of the NL manager messing up. That would be why you shouldn't use your catcher as a DH unless you have 3.

Not that it mattered, but if it went to extra innings neither of those options is helpful. They did need to try and tie the game first I guess.

DumpJerry
06-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Trammell spent three years managing in the AL. He knew what he was doing. It was pointed out in another thread that DeRosa is a backup catcher. Also, being a NL team, losing the DH would not be that big of a loss as it would for an AL team.

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Trammell spent three years managing in the AL. He knew what he was doing. It was pointed out in another thread that DeRosa is a backup catcher. Also, being a NL team, losing the DH would not be that big of a loss as it would for an AL team.Ejected managers still call all of the shots from the tunnel.

DumpJerry
06-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Ejected managers still call all of the shots from the tunnel.
"Sweet" Lou spent 16 years as an AL manager.

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2008, 02:45 AM
"Sweet" Lou spent 16 years as an AL manager.Oh, yeah, no argument there. I was just addressing the idea that it was Trammell's call.

DumpJerry
06-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I was watching the game with several Sox fans and we had already questioned the wisdom of using Soto at DH when the game started when we really shook our heads when Ward was sent in to PH in the 9th. One of my friends said it made sense because they had to score runs and score them now. Since the worst case scenario for the Cubs had they tied the score or took the lead was to have Soto behind the plate and lose the DH, it was worth it because the pitcher's spot on the line up would not come up for a couple of innings, most likely and the pitcher could be pinch hit for at that point.

Oblong
06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't know where else to ask this without starting a new thread and it doesn't seem worthy of one. And Im' not finding a Cubs board either.

Does Tram get any kind of press in Chicago for the job he's doing under Lou? It broke my heart that he wasn't ready in Detroit and I'm glad he's getting experience under a guy like Piniella. I'm just curious if there's been any stories on him.

As a manager in Detroit I'd have given him a C. Not a lot of talent early on obviously but in 2004 and 2005 some of his moves were head scratching. Rodriguez didn't like him and allegedly went after him. Screw him for that. I've never cheered for him since.

pierzynski07
06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
I was watching the game with several Sox fans and we had already questioned the wisdom of using Soto at DH when the game started when we really shook our heads when Ward was sent in to PH in the 9th. One of my friends said it made sense because they had to score runs and score them now. Since the worst case scenario for the Cubs had they tied the score or took the lead was to have Soto behind the plate and lose the DH, it was worth it because the pitcher's spot on the line up would not come up for a couple of innings, most likely and the pitcher could be pinch hit for at that point.
Exactly. Ward is a better hitter than Blanco, and it was do or die time. The issue of the pitcher batting (probably in the just completed Blanco/Ward slot) would only come if the game went to extras, and if it did, then they did their job of coming from behind.

But, they didn't. :cool:

UofCSoxFan
06-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't know where else to ask this without starting a new thread and it doesn't seem worthy of one. And Im' not finding a Cubs board either.

Does Tram get any kind of press in Chicago for the job he's doing under Lou? It broke my heart that he wasn't ready in Detroit and I'm glad he's getting experience under a guy like Piniella. I'm just curious if there's been any stories on him.

As a manager in Detroit I'd have given him a C. Not a lot of talent early on obviously but in 2004 and 2005 some of his moves were head scratching. Rodriguez didn't like him and allegedly went after him. Screw him for that. I've never cheered for him since.

I don't read many Cubs articles but I would say "not really" from my expierence. Joey Cora, the Sox bench coach, doesn't get mentioned much either, although I did hear a possible rumor of him being a candidate for the SEA job (where he palyed a good chunk of his career).

Everytime I see Trammell I think of a quote on of my Tigers fan friends said during Trammell's final year, "Only the Tigers would make me hate my favorite player of all time." Good stuff.

UofCSoxFan
06-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Exactly. Ward is a better hitter than Blanco, and it was do or die time. The issue of the pitcher batting (probably in the just completed Blanco/Ward slot) would only come if the game went to extras, and if it did, then they did their job of coming from behind.

But, they didn't. :cool:

Yeah, at that point the Cubs were in just survive mode....if they needed to have a pitcher bat later in the game, they would deal with that when it came up.

Eddo144
06-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Personally, I don't really see anything wrong how Pinella/Trammel handled the Soto/Blanco situation yesterday. Obviously, they wanted to give Soto an off-day from catching, but still wanted his bat in the lineup, so they took advantage of the DH being used.

Then, in the ninth, they (correctly) judged that Blanco was a terrible option to have up when down to their last out, so they pinch hit with Ward, a better hitter.

---

Of course it makes no sense when you factor in what Pinella did against the Orioles last Tuesday. With the bases loaded in the ninth with two outs and down two runs, he pinch hit for the fairly hot Eric Patterson with Henry Blanco, who is one of the two worst hitters on the team, just to get at lefty-righty matchup. If he felt Blanco was an OK option with one out left on Tuesday, why not last night?

It seems like Pinella's been making some interesting decisions lately. In that same Orioles game, he pinch hit for Edmonds, who had homered in his previous at bat, with Murton, just to get a lefty-righty matchup and also brought in Marmol (who's already sort of overworked) in a game the Cubs were losing.

Add to that Friday's game, when Theriot and DeRosa, two of their better hitters this season, were both sitting in favor of Fontenot and Cedeno.

TornLabrum
06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Add to that Friday's game, when Theriot and DeRosa, two of their better hitters this season, were both sitting in favor of Fontenot and Cedeno.

I don't know about Fontenot, but according to Jon Miller last night, Theriot was out because he had a sore hand and could barely throw the ball.

Eddo144
06-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't know about Fontenot, but according to Jon Miller last night, Theriot was out because he had a sore hand and could barely throw the ball.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. And who knows, maybe DeRosa needed an off day for whatever reason, so I can't really criticize Pinella too much for a single game's lineup (actually that's a really good rule of thumb in general, for all managers).

But Pinella has been making some strange in-game decisions yesterday.

And did it seem to anyone else that his ejection was planned? I figured he planned to go ape-**** over the first close call against the Cubs in order to "fire up the team" or whatnot.

Johnny Mostil
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't read many Cubs articles but I would say "not really" from my expierence.

Until this weekend, I hadn't even known Trammell was now with the Cubs.:redface: