PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Things Heard

alohafri
06-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Just a couple of the dumb things heard/seen during Saturday's game...

"Why is everybody leaving? Shouldn't you be staying to celebrate?" (The groundscrew had already taken the field and was deep into their post game work.)

"If Wrigley had parking, we'd certainly be out of this lot by now." (Said five minutes after we got into the car.)

Holding up three fingers on one hand and two on the other, indicating the cubs have a three to two series advantage...completely ignoring the fact that the cubs have now lost three of their last four series.

"You know, the cubs and the Sox may have won the same number of World Series, but the cubs have been to more than the Sox." (And how many of those were in your lifetime, Skippy?)

All were said by by a cub friend of ours. The same nutball who was standing and clapping every time a cub pitcher got the first pitch strike on a Sox hitter. Oh, was she a bit disappointed in the 7th with TCQ!

RadioheadRocks
06-29-2008, 06:08 AM
"You know, the cubs and the Sox may have won the same number of World Series, but the cubs have been to more than the Sox." (And how many of those were in your lifetime, Skippy?)

A good comeback would have been "This is baseball, not The Biggest Loser"

LITTLE NELL
06-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Sox have won 3 WS, Cubs 2.

WSox597
06-29-2008, 07:29 AM
"If Wrigley had parking, we'd certainly be out of this lot by now." (Said five minutes after we got into the car.)

That one's especially funny, and on a couple of levels.

One of the biggest beefs against the Urinal is the complete lack of parking. Well, that and the concrete chunks dropping at random. In fact, speaking of dumb things, I was making fun of the concrete dropping and told a Cub fan somebody was missing a business opportunity. They could make up little blue hard hats with marks like concrete hit them. As long as they had Cub logos you could sell thousands of them. His response, "I'd buy one!!"

Cuck the Fubs
06-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Maybe that explains the 3 finger thing!

If I typed all the stupid stuff I heard Saturday, I would get carpel tunnel......Cub fans while highly annoying, seem to provide excellent comic relief by just being themselves!

pierzynski07
06-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Holding up three fingers on one hand and two on the other, indicating the cubs have a three to two series advantage...completely ignoring the fact that the cubs have now lost three of their last four series.
During this weekend, or any crosstown weekend, why should anyone care about that? It's all about these six games.

Railsplitter
06-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Including one against the Schlubs.

Soxman219
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Yesterday, me and my friends sat next to cubs fans who annoying when D. Lee made it 5-4. They pretty much didn't say a word after TCQ's home run. One of the greatest feelings in the world is seeing Cubs fans leave in anger when their team loses here.:cool:

jenn2080
06-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I had no problems at the game. That could be because the outfield was restricted. My Cubs fans friend said they has a great experience at the park.

alohafri
06-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe that explains the 3 finger thing!

If I typed all the stupid stuff I heard Saturday, I would get carpel tunnel......Cub fans while highly annoying, seem to provide excellent comic relief by just being themselves!

By the way, it was nice meeting you, mod edit: do not post any personal information whatsoever about other posters, er, Cuck. :D:

alohafri
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
During this weekend, or any crosstown weekend, why should anyone care about that? It's all about these six games.

They get rings and a trophy if they beat us.

btrain929
06-29-2008, 10:37 AM

That was the first thing I caught. I definitely would have been all over him for that. Nothing hurts more than having your fanhood/fandom put in check :D:

Dick Allen
06-29-2008, 10:55 AM

"Why is everybody leaving? Shouldn't you be staying to celebrate?" (The groundscrew had already taken the field and was deep into their post game work.)

All were said by by a cub friend of ours. The same nutball who was standing and clapping every time a cub pitcher got the first pitch strike on a Sox hitter. Oh, was she a bit disappointed in the 7th with TCQ! I think it's time you should start re-assessing your choice of friends.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2008, 12:24 PM
They get rings and a trophy if they beat us.
Not only that; but, didn't you know the Cubs get trophies for attendance figures as well???

thomas35forever
06-29-2008, 02:01 PM
It's a she? I guess that means it wasn't my friend I vented about this past week.:cool:

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM

All were said by by a cub friend of ours. The same nutball who was standing and clapping every time a cub pitcher got the first pitch strike on a Sox hitter. Oh, was she a bit disappointed in the 7th with TCQ!

That one text you sent me after the game ended now makes complete sense! What a tool.

bnlfanmatt
06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
That one text you sent me after the game ended now makes complete sense! What a tool.

Now we have to know what the text said for this post to make sense!

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I laugh when people try to downplay this series. The entire stadium was standing up as soon as the bottom of the 8th ended and Here comes the boom started playing.

Some dumb things I heard yesterday:

Some fans were waving a cubs blanket talking **** after the loss so we started a 19-08 chant and they shut up, on the train home there was a big argument cubs fan was saying how they still have best record in baseball and I just said yeah you also had a 3-1 lead to go to the world series, how did that work out? He then asked if we wanted to borrow the broom they used at wrigley. I just said no we are going to use the one Arizona left in the playoffs...He then said well 1918 u threw a ****ing world series..I told him he was a douche and if u wanted to talk **** u should probably get the date right 1919, but hey happy 100 years and never heard another word.

I also heard a black Sox fan say, You know the last time you won a world series my ancestors were slaves.:o:

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
I also heard a black Sox fan say, You know the last time you won a world series my ancestors were slaves.:o:

Ouch! You really can't compete with that!

MeteorsSox4367
06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
As heard in lower boxes, Section 121 on Saturday.

I'm with my brother and sister-in-law and there are four Trixie wannabes in front of us with what had to be fake IDs. Since I looked over one girl's shoulder while she was buying beer, I saw that her license was from Connecticut. The skeptical vendor looked at it twice and made her take it out of her wallet before giving her the beer.

Anyway, the Trixies were pretty much on a beer-every inning pace, so midway through the game one turns to me as I'm writing something down on my scorecard and says, "Uh, there, sir? Like what are you doing?"

I replied "It's like called keeping score. I'm like a baseball geek and love keeping score at games. It like gives me a record of the games I've attended."

She replies, "Oh."

End of conversation.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
As heard in lower boxes, Section 121 on Saturday.

I'm with my brother and sister-in-law and there are four Trixie wannabes in front of us with what had to be fake IDs. Since I looked over one girl's shoulder while she was buying beer, I saw that her license was from Connecticut. The skeptical vendor looked at it twice and made her take it out of her wallet before giving her the beer.

Anyway, the Trixies were pretty much on a beer-every inning pace, so midway through the game one turns to me as I'm writing something down on my scorecard and says, "Uh, there, sir? Like what are you doing?"

I replied "It's like called keeping score. I'm like a baseball geek and love keeping score at games. It like gives me a record of the games I've attended."

She replies, "Oh."

End of conversation.

I am interning for Chicagosportscast.com and for the cubscast and soxcast we did some fan interviews outside the park and there just some embarassing drunks out there, some sox fans, but the majority were drunk cubs fans cursing up a storm so we will not be able to use most of the stuff they said.

fusillirob1983
06-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I laugh when people try to downplay this series. The entire stadium was standing up as soon as the bottom of the 8th ended and Here comes the boom started playing.

There were a lot of dumb Cub fans in my section. A lot of the Sox fans started cheering as Jenks made his way out of the pen. Then a lot of the Cub fans stood up and tried to start cheering louder than the Sox fans. I don't know why, probably just to try and one-up us, either that or Cub fans love Bobby Jenks.... or they were stupid Cub fans.

chisoxmike
06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I had no problems at the game. That could be because the outfield was restricted. My Cubs fans friend said they has a great experience at the park.

I went to Saturday's game and I though both teams fans were great. There was friendly jarring between the two fan bases, I didn't see any fights, and people were pretty respectful to each other.

Dumbest things I've heard though, Cubs fan saying, "They do this here?" When "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" was done in the 7th.

"I'm embarrassed to be with him." Completely trashed girl, falling up the stairs in her "W" shirt walking with her Sox fan boyfriend.

34rancher
06-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Some fans were waving a cubs blanket talking **** after the loss so we started a 19-08 chant and they shut up, on the train home there was a big argument cubs fan was saying how they still have best record in baseball and I just said yeah you also had a 3-1 lead to go to the world series, how did that work out? He then asked if we wanted to borrow the broom they used at wrigley. I just said no we are going to use the one Arizona left in the playoffs...He then said well 1918 u threw a ****ing world series..I told him he was a douche and if u wanted to talk **** u should probably get the date right 1919, but hey happy 100 years and never heard another word.

Yeah, well you should have just said it was pathetic that we have thrown one since they last won one...

soxwon
06-29-2008, 10:36 PM
During saturdays game the Cubchicky i wrote about elsewhere, heard me say
in the 8th inning "time to start counting outs" i said 6 outs to a win.
She said to her girlfriends, oh the Cubbies got ONLy six outs to go, isnt it nice they COUNT outs.
Then a grounder 5 outs, flyout 4 outs etc.
She had never heard of counting outs!!!!

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Now we have to know what the text said for this post to make sense!

I deleted the text already, but it was laced with colorful, four-letter words, and basically insulted the female Cub fan alohafri referenced in his initial post.

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Ouch! You really can't compete with that!Except for the fact that it isn't historically accurate.

DumpJerry
06-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Ouch! You really can't compete with that!
You're right. It doesn't get dumber than that.

Jerko
06-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Not at the game but I heard this on the train today: "I've got tickets for the Sox when they play in St. Louis, they have kind of a new park and that Pujols guy should be back soon, and Konerko should be off the "DH" by then too. A for effort, D- for execution.

spawn
06-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Except for the fact that it isn't historically accurate.

You're right. It doesn't get dumber than that.
Word.

skottyj242
06-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Went to the bathroom right after I walked in on Saturday, Cub fan says in the bathroom "This place ****ing sucks." I reply "Then why are you here?" Crickets.

asindc
06-30-2008, 09:51 AM

And of course, the Sox won the only head-to-head, so it is really more than a 1 WS advantage.

PatK
06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Went to the bathroom right after I walked in on Saturday, Cub fan says in the bathroom "This place ****ing sucks." I reply "Then why are you here?" Crickets.

Maybe he likes rubbing elbows on both sides when he goes to the bathroom?

Law11
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Had no issues at all except for my 10 month old daughter Saturday who weve taught to splittle the raspberries when we ask whattya think of the Cubs.

We brought a few Cub fans with us who were like - "oh nice job, way to brainwash her early".

Or my 8 year old niece who said out loud "Anyone who likes the Cubs doesnt know anything about baseball". (On her own mind you. She needed no coaching. Her mom, my sis has taught her well)

And can I say, the suites... Quite nice. The food.. Excellent but we actually went down to get Churros and a corn dog for my niece..

Overall the suite was split even with fans but all you heard was good baseball talk throughout the game.. made it that much more fun.

spawn
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM

I think he just likes the smell of urinals.

comet2k
06-30-2008, 01:41 PM
This wasn't dumb, but my son went to Saturday's game with his girlfriend, a Cubs fan who is used to Wrigley. About 10 minutes before the game she saw all the empty seats and said it looked like it would be far from a sellout. I haven't been there in 20 years, but I would guess that Wrigley has far fewer places to go/things to do, so everyone goes right to their seat. Is that the case? It is amazing how empty the Cell can look just before the start and how quickly it fills up.

skottyj242
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM
This wasn't dumb, but my son went to Saturday's game with his girlfriend, a Cubs fan who is used to Wrigley. About 10 minutes before the game she saw all the empty seats and said it looked like it would be far from a sellout. I haven't been there in 20 years, but I would guess that Wrigley has far fewer places to go/things to do, so everyone goes right to their seat. Is that the case? It is amazing how empty the Cell can look just before the start and how quickly it fills up.

Wrigley doesn't get packed until the second or third inning most times because eveyone is finishing their beers in the taverns.

vegyrex
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM

Oh dear, flub fans still think this? Back in '05, shortly after we won the series,
I read a statement similar to this at a flub message board.:rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
06-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Cub fan to me while arguing (friendly of course) during a barbeque on Sunday: "Eh..that trophy in '05...so what..now you've got the same number as we do".

Me: "Ummm....no, that's THREE for the Sox, two for the Cubs, the last being 100 years ago. You're arguing for a team you don't even know the facts or history of ?"

Ron Santo, late in Sunday nights' game : "Uh...Yeah Pat, their (White Sox) bullpen is really good this year. But you know, I think, I'd..I'd still take Wood over Jenks as closer"

After that comment, I said loudly for many at the barbeque to hear: DID HE REALLY JUST SAY THAT ?!! IS THERE NO LIMIT TO THAT GUY'S STUPIDITY ?"

WhiteSoxOnly
06-30-2008, 06:37 PM
All of you Chicagoans out there...so just how much grief did you give your
cub fan co-workers/neighbors/family members today ?

JB98
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM

None. The Sox have won before. I act like they've won before. I act like I expected to win.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
None. The Sox have won before. I act like they've won before. I act like I expected to win.

Stand-up.

34rancher
06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I cannot believe how much cub fans are moaning about umps. I just got done explaining to a buddy that they were not AAA umps. Once you ump a major league game, you are a major league ump. Then when complaining about how "important" of a game this was, I was like how arrogant to think your game is more important than another teams...Just wow...

thomas35forever
06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Funny Facebook status:
its ****ing rediculous that when CUBS FANS get excited that our team won, all we got was **** for it, & now the SOX FANS are being *******s & talkin ****.
:lol:

guillen4life13
06-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Funny Facebook status:

:lol:

People really need to learn how to spell the word "ridiculous."

Yesterday evening I played a set at a bbq/kegger party and took the opportunity to say how proud I was to see so many Sox hats and jerseys being worn. No mention of the Cubs--I was just observing that it's rare to see so many Sox fans gathered in one place. This was after the Sox had finished the sweep.

Some Cubs fans starting ragging on me about the sweep last weekend. I said, "Hey, I wouldn't talk because we just swept you."

They tried to argue that my statement was false. The Sox fans spoke up and took care of dolling out the knowledge. I just played my guitar with a satisfied demeanor.

pierzynski07
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Ron Santo, late in Sunday nights' game : "Uh...Yeah Pat, their (White Sox) bullpen is really good this year. But you know, I think, I'd..I'd still take Wood over Jenks as closer"

After that comment, I said loudly for many at the barbeque to hear: DID HE REALLY JUST SAY THAT ?!! IS THERE NO LIMIT TO THAT GUY'S STUPIDITY ?"
In a quick look at numbers this year:

Jenks: 2-0, 18 saves, 32.3 innings, 19/8 BB/K ratio, 1.95 ERA, 1.113 WHIP
Wood: 4-1, 20 saves, 39.7 innings, 49/8 BB/K ratio, 2.50 ERA, 0.832 WHIP

One has been better in limiting base runners, while the other has a better earned run average.

So you really got upset over that?

TommyJohn
07-01-2008, 08:22 AM

One has been better in limiting base runners, while the other has a better earned run average.

Good to see our resident Cub defender pierzynski07 show up, right on cue.

soxpride724
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
After we completed the sweep on Sunday, a Cub fan told me "Well we won the first series, that one was the important one".

Are you ****ing kidding me?????

The kids only 18 or 19 so I knew better than to even acknowledge his stupidity.

SOXPHILE
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

You forgot to mention how one of them has proven to be among the top closers over the past few seasons, including World Series experience, while the other one has a long storied history of injury, wildness, & overall inconsistency. In this, his first season being converted to a closer, is it 3, or 4 times he has hit the very first batter he faced in the 9th inning ?

RadioheadRocks
07-01-2008, 11:52 PM

Maybe he likes rubbing elbows on both sides when he goes to the bathroom?

I think he just likes the smell of urinals.
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/pwned-48495.jpg

whitesox901
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
It wasnt at a ballgame, but at a local 24 Hour resturant here in Oregon called Freeway a drunk chick and her friends (Also drunk) got up and left after their meal and said "That water was flat"

PatK
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM

None.

What was funny was that after the first series, they acted like they just won the World Series. My response to all their trash talking was "Good job. But next week, we're at home".

After the Sox swept, I didn't say anything other than the Brewers didn't beat the Twinks as I would have liked. And all they did was bitch and moan about everything.

Umps were unfair. Ramirez went o-for whatever because of his pregnant wife. The Sox had an unfair pitching advantage.

The best was that Lou getting tossed was going to inspire them to go on a big win streak like last year. That win streak lasted 1 game.

BridgePortNative
07-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I cannot believe how much cub fans are moaning about umps. I just got done explaining to a buddy that they were not AAA umps. Once you ump a major league game, you are a major league ump. Then when complaining about how "important" of a game this was, I was like how arrogant to think your game is more important than another teams...Just wow...

On chicago tribune live the host of the show was going on and on about the umps being crappy for it seemed 20 mins and even Dan Plesac and bunch were telling him to stop whining about it. :?: I hate that new host.

MeteorsSox4367
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
On chicago tribune live the host of the show was going on and on about the umps being crappy for it seemed 20 mins and even Dan Plesac and bunch were telling him to stop whining about it. :?: I hate that new host.

You mean Dave Kaplan? He's fair and unbiased in his love of all things Cub.