PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Twins? Really?

jabrch
06-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Now kudos to the Twins for a 9 game winning streak. They are definitely better than I figured they'd be after getting rid of both Garza and Santana along with Hunter in the same offseason.

That said, in June they played a VERY soft month.
W 2 vs NYY
L 2 of 3 vs Balt
L 4 @ Sox
L 2 of 3 @ Clev
W 2 of 3 @ Mil
W 3 vs Wash
W 3 vs AZ
W 3 @ SD
W 1 of 2 vs Mil

Lots of bad teams there.

Lets look ahead and see what July is going to present to them...

2 Vs Det
3 Vs Cle
3 @ Bos
4 @ Det
3 Vs Tex
3 @ NYY
3 @ Cle
4 vs Sox

If they come through July still only 1.5 games out, I will be both surprised and impressed.

The Sox have 12 games straddling the all star break against KC and Texas. 3 @ each before the break, then 3 home vs each after. I loved how June worked for us. A great start and a great end. The middle sucked - but that's OK. I'm really looking forward to a great July!!!!!

DumpJerry
06-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Magglio left the game Saturday with a possible Oblique strain. If he's out, the Twinks (and ours, we play the Tigers, too, in July) got easier.

sox1970
06-29-2008, 12:09 AM
They're frauds. They'll start losing.

If they're close on August 1st, I'll give them credit.

To me, this will go down to the end with the Sox and Tigers.

PKalltheway
06-29-2008, 12:33 AM

I agree. The Twins will eventually be exposed for the frauds they truly are really soon.

thomas35forever
06-29-2008, 12:35 AM
In the unlikely event they actually make the playoffs, they'll be swept in the LDS once again.

oeo
06-29-2008, 04:09 AM

To me, this will go down to the end with the Sox and Tigers.

I agree with you on the Twins, but I also don't think the Tigers have the pitching depth to sustain their success.

Let's be honest. The Tigers have been winning a lot of ballgames lately, yet just now got to .500, and are still 5 games back. All that, and they're still in a pretty deep hole. I know it's still early, but I still think they dug themselves too deep. They can't struggle the rest of the year, and with that pitching staff, I find it hard to believe that they won't.

LITTLE NELL
06-29-2008, 06:49 AM
I agree with you on the Twins, but I also don't think the Tigers have the pitching depth to sustain their success.

Let's be honest. The Tigers have been winning a lot of ballgames lately, yet just now got to .500, and are still 5 games back. All that, and they're still in a pretty deep hole. I know it's still early, but I still think they dug themselves too deep. They can't struggle the rest of the year, and with that pitching staff, I find it hard to believe that they won't.
5 games back is not much, we had a 6.5 game lead a few weeks ago.

hawkjt
06-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Tigers have gone 16-4 in their last 20. We contributed 3 wins and no losses to that streak. They have a huge payroll and in baseball usually money talks so I suspect they will be in it to the end. Sox and Tigers have the biggest payrolls and I think they will be the cream in the end.

Gonna be a long hot summer.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
The Twins are at least as likely to be with the Sox at the end as are the Tigers. They've played well-enough the past 3 months to be in close second-place. That's a ton more impressive than Detroit going on a winning binge the last 4 weeks.

I half-expect Ron Gardenhire to use Lou Piniella's flattery of the Sox ("They should win that division by a half-dozen games") as bulletin board material for his team. He does more with less than any manager in O.B. and this year is no exception.

Lou is dumb about the history of the A.L. Central Division. I'm not sure what excuse I can dream up for Sox Fans making the same mistake.

Zisk77
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I think the twins offense is better than in years past. They can still run you to death but have lots of power ind the middle. This power has somewhat but mitigated by Cuddyers bad hand - only 3 hr's and delmon Young's surprising loss of power?

The Twins starting rotation is the worst its been in quite some time. There is no ace. Their is no true # 2 type starter or maybe a 3. They pitches well against the dregs of the national league after getting slaughtered by the Sox. Now that summer is here and they are playing some good teams in the al I expect them to start giving up runs in bunches which in turn will put pressure on a solid but somewhat injury depleted pen.

The pen is good but not lights out as in previous years. I like (which means i hate :angry:) the moves the twins have made and i fear them in the near future. While they make me uneasy as they are the twins I don't think the have the horses in the rotation to win this year.

The danger with the tigers is that they go out and trade for some pitching. They'll cool off as the aare a poor defensive team and have a lot of power hitters that run hot in cold like ours but play in a big park much more conducive to speed.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2008, 12:15 PM
The Twins have an offense that generally doesn't go into prolonged slumps, they aren't based on the home run ball but on manufacturing runs. They also have a very strong bullpen. Anyone who automatically writes them off at any time, playing half their games in a bizarre stadium is delusional.

Regarding the Tigers, well they've gone 15-4 the past 19 games, are coming from behind to get wins and are doing this with a mediocre pitching staff. The Tigers may be trying to copy the 2000 White Sox...bash the opposition into losses.

Bottom line, at this point, you can't discount anyone. The Sox as PHG said are going to win or lose this division in the remaining games with Minnesota (all seven left on the road) and Detroit.

It's totally up to them.

Lip

JB98
06-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I'll mock the Twins and Timberwolf over in the Roadhouse, but here in the Talking Baseball forum, I'll take every opponent seriously.

I don't think Minnesota's pitching staff matches up with the Sox from top to bottom, but they have that dome working for them. The Sox still have to play seven games in that place, including three the last week of the season.

tstrike2000
06-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't think Minnesota's pitching staff matches up with the Sox from top to bottom, but they have that dome working for them. The Sox still have to play seven games in that place, including three the last week of the season.

True and true. Unfortunately, the scheduling gods aren't in our favor as far as that's concerned. But still, with the Sox talent, they should have the division wrapped up by that point. If they don't, then either Detroit, Minnesota, or even Cleveland are playing some great second half baseball. However, I just don't see any of those teams having enough in the tank to maintain a run at the division at the very end. The strength of the Sox starters and bullpen will carry them through to the post season. And if none of the above is the reason why the Sox don't win the division, then we obviously don't deserve to be there.

oeo
06-29-2008, 02:32 PM
5 games back is not much, we had a 6.5 game lead a few weeks ago.

Yeah, and that took about a week to acquire (the four game sweep of the Twins is what did it). It's a game of ups and downs. The Tigers are obviously on an up right now, and still see themselves 5 games back.

Just as quickly as that lead diminished, it can go right back up in this division.

Viva Medias B's
06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Right now, the Twins are good enough to be leading the Crew 4-0. Meanwhile, the Cardinals raced out to what was once a 5-0 lead but the Royals have cut it to 5-3 and threatening to add more.

sox1970
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Well...Slowey just shutout the Brewers in 2 hours.

Twins finish interleague at 14-4. Tigers finished at 13-5.

We'll see where Twins are when the Sox leave the Dome on July 31st.

MarySwiss
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else, but ESPN.com is reporting that the Twins put Cuddyer on the DL today.

High Mileage
06-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I predict that my Royals will finish ahead of the Twins. You can quote me on that.

MrRoboto83
06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I am not suprised by how the Twins are playing at all, at the beginning of the season I never counted them out. They are going to be around, i'm sure they will be a major pest all season long. One nice thing to see is the Tigers and Twins play each other this week in Minnesota, that should be one heck of a series the way both teams are playing right now.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2008, 05:09 PM
For what it's worth even Scott Reifert in his blog today mentioned about how the interlerague schedule is hurting the Sox right now.

I'd hope ownership would pass that information along to "Proud To Be Your Bud" at the end of the season.

Also saw a mention in the newspaper today that the Sox have had internal discussions about Freddy Garcia but for now plan on passing. He throws for teams at the end of July. The story said the Mets, Yankees and Tigers expect to be very interested.

It will be interesting to see at the deadline who does what in the division...certainly Detroit has the funds and an owner who will attempt to get what they need regardless of cost.

The past three weeks have found Detroit playing at a pace a la Cleveland in August / September 2005.

Lip

sox1970
06-29-2008, 05:15 PM
For what it's worth even Scott Reifert in his blog today mentioned about how the interlerague schedule is hurting the Sox right now.

I'd hope ownership would pass that information along to "Proud To Be Your Bud" at the end of the season.

Lip

That's just whining. Everyone knows what they're getting into with interleague play. If teams wanted to change it, they could try to negotiate a change.

I agree that it's unfair, but even if you eliminated interleague play, you still have teams going for the wildcard under different schedules too.

The only fair thing to do is to eliminate divisions and interleague, play a balanced schedule, and send the top four teams in each league to the playoffs. It's the only fair schedule possible, but they'll never do it.

High Mileage
06-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Interleague is for all the casual fans, to bring them out to the games. It's not for the teams or the players, no use in complaining about it.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Sox 1970:

Even with the unbalanced schedule at least every team in the league is playing at least some games against every other team in the league.

With these bizarre interleague schedules even that is not taking place and it is directly affecting the out come of divisional races.

That's simply stating a fact.

Lip

sox1970
06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Sox 1970:

Even with the unbalanced schedule at least every team in the league is playing at least some games against every other team in the league.

With these bizarre interleague schedules even that is not taking place and it is directly affecting the out come of divisional races.

That's simply stating a fact.

Lip

But you can also make an argument that the Sox are at a disadvantage having to play the Rays and Angels 10 games each, while other teams play just 6 each.

If either the Rays or Red Sox slide, you could see a huge wildcard race this year. Teams play a varied schedule outside their division, so inequities are inevitable there too.

Domeshot17
06-29-2008, 05:55 PM
The one thing you have to like about the Twins, if they have a lead late, it is safe, they have a good bullpen, and a good bullpen can take you a long way.

That said, the team worry me the most is the Tigers. People seemed to not care how much our offense cost us early in the season, but we had a chance to BURY Detroit, we let them hang around, and now they are less then 5 back. This division is going to a dog fight to the end.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
The one thing you have to like about the Twins, if they have a lead late, it is safe, they have a good bullpen, and a good bullpen can take you a long way.
Yes, their bullpen is good; but, so is OURS! Thornton, Linebrink, Jenks...You can't do any better than that!

Lip Man 1
06-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Dome:

Great point...those 11 games the Sox lost where they allowed three runs or less immediately come to mind.

For the Sox in the 2nd half, the eventual decider may be "can the offense be more consistent and put up runs BOTH at home and on the road."

If the answer to that question is "yes" then the Sox will win this division.

Lip

ma-gaga
06-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I predict that my Royals will finish ahead of the Twins. You can quote me on that.

pfft. "High Mileage" says that his royals will finish ahead of the Twins. :rolleyes:

See, this happens every year, your favorite team plays a bunch of crappy interleague NL teams and it totally goes to your head. Right now every team in the AL Central thinks they have the pitching to contend. ... Clearly this is not the case. Hitting is down across the board, and just because your pitching is 10% better than last year, if your hitting is 10% worse , YOU ARE ONLY BREAKING EVEN.

IMO, the Twins are a 0.500 team playing above their heads. The fans may delude themselves, and maybe they can sustain their current pace and win 88-90 games, but I would be shocked if they finish more than 5 games above 0.500.

If you want to know how they are doing it, they are finally hitting. They have an "adequate" offensive team. Mauer and Morneau are constantly putting pressure on the opposing team, and someone new is picking them up each day. Either Kubel, Harris or Buscher. Even Casilla and Gomez go on little tears and use their speed to cause havok. Pitching-wise, their bullpen has been stout since they cut Rincon. Everyone has stepped up. Dennys Reyes has no right pitching as well as he does. But he is put in good situations and performs. Nathan is as good of a closer there is. Finally, their young pitching staff has started to gel. They have a good young staff, and are getting deep into games. (as long as they can stay away from the W.Sox offense, they will be fine)

If they can just dump Livan Hernandez, they'll have a nice little team.

:gulp:

Domeshot17
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Dome:

Great point...those 11 games the Sox lost where they allowed three runs or less immediately come to mind.

For the Sox in the 2nd half, the eventual decider may be "can the offense be more consistent and put up runs BOTH at home and on the road."

If the answer to that question is "yes" then the Sox will win this division.

Lip

100% agree. Im not really dark clouding, I think we are as good as anyone in the division, but when you have a chance to kill the beast, you kill it, because when you leave it for dead, it might just get back up.

fusillirob1983
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Interleague is for all the casual fans, to bring them out to the games. It's not for the teams or the players, no use in complaining about it.

Well if a team makes the playoffs rather than missing it by a game or 2, that could very well bring out quite a few more casual fans the following season.

Railsplitter
06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Twinkies start an 11 game west coast swing August 21, with no off days.