PDA

View Full Version : Cubs no longer have best record in MLB; could be 4th after tomorrow

White City
06-28-2008, 08:50 PM
If the Sox get the sweep, and LAAA, Boston and Tampa take care of business, then the Cubs will only have the fourth best record in baseball -- behind three of the four AL teams in the pro forma playoffs (off the heels of being swept by the fourth pro forma AL playoff team).

They have to be pulling their hair out at this point. Me, I'm looking forward to the Mark Buehrle show (narrated by Joe Morgan) tomorrow night. And then John and Gavin taking a crack at Cleveland.

Funny how things change in a week in baseball.

PatK
06-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I could care less about who has the best record in baseball at this point.

Plenty o'ball left to be played.

Let's just stay in first from here out :D:

DumpJerry
06-28-2008, 09:17 PM
So what? They don't pass out trophies for the best record. They don't hold parades for the best record.

The best record means nothing.

jfinsocal
06-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Granted I don't live anywhere near Chicago so I'm not personally involved in the rivalry but I care a hell of a lot more about the Twins and Tigers than the Cubs.

Cuck the Fubs
06-28-2008, 09:20 PM
So what? They don't pass out trophies for the best record. They don't hold parades for the best record.

Several idiots attired in a certain shade of blue, would strongly disagree with this statement.

DumpJerry
06-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Granted I don't live anywhere near Chicago so I'm not personally involved in the rivalry but I care a hell of a lot more about the Twins and Tigers than the Cubs.
I live in Chicago and feel the same way.

DumpJerry
06-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Several idiots attired in a certain shade of blue, would strongly disagree with this statement.
This is why they are idiots. I've been telling them the same thing now for about month. I also remind (or educate) them that in 2005, the Cards had the best record in MLB but were not in the World Series. Same with the 1983 White Sox. Neither team has something in the trophy case to show for it.

They hate hearing that.

spawn
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
This is why they are idiots. I've been telling them the same thing now for about month. I also remind (or educate) them that in 2005, the Cards had the best record in MLB but were not in the World Series. Same with the 1983 White Sox. Neither team has something in the trophy case to show for it.

They hate hearing that.
I had a co-worker telling me on Friday before the game that maybe the Cubs would let the Sox win a game, and went on bragging about them having the best record in baseball. I told him how the Mariners won 116 games in 2001 and didn't make the WS. He then tried to talk trash about the Cubs possibly winning the season series against the Sox and how he would rub it in my faceon Monday. I told him the only series I care about is the one played in October. That kinda shut him up.

TommyJohn
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
What I want to know is what the hell happened to Arizona and Phildelphia?
Arizona had one of the best records in the NL at first, then the Phillies were
hot just a couple of weeks ago. Now Ari is at .500 and Philly is just a few
games over. The Cubs today were also assured of a losing record in IL
play this year. This begs the question: Is the AL that good, or the NL
that bad?

Viva Medias B's
06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I had a co-worker telling me on Friday before the game that maybe the Cubs would let the Sox win a game, and went on bragging about them having the best record in baseball. I told him how the Mariners won 116 games in 2001 and didn't make the WS. He then tried to talk trash about the Cubs possibly winning the season series against the Sox and how he would rub it in my faceon Monday. I told him the only series I care about is the one played in October. That kinda shut him up.

And, of course, we all know who the manager of that Mariner squad was that year.

TommyJohn
06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I told him how the Mariners won 116 games in 2001 and didn't make the WS.

And, of course, we all know who the manager of that Mariner squad was that year.

:ass

DDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! And den da Mariners went out an'
lost in da first round of da playoffs!!!!!!

Yes, that ****ing moron actually SAID that on the air, more than once. Not
one time did any of his crack staff, including Fred "Sniff Ass Crack" Huebner,
ever bother to correct him. Of course, the Mariners lost in the ALCS to
the Yankees, not the "first round." You would think that asswipe moron
imbecile would have known that. After all, he was a WSCR host back in
2001, it's not like it's Ancient History. (Like 1967...:redneck)

What took them so long to get rid of that ass?

gobears1987
06-28-2008, 09:55 PM

They hate hearing that.

Furthermore, the 06 Cards were barely over .500, but they got to hoist a trophy that the eluded 7 playoff teams with a better record than them. Heck the 06 Sox had a better record than the Cards and weren't in the playoffs.

spawn
06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I was listening to Lawrence Holmes yesterday on my way home. He was mentioning the Cubs rash of injuries and how that would be the only thing that would stop them. I didn't have the desire to call in and tell him how long of a season is, and you only have to look at the Rockies from last year or the Cardinals 2 sasons ago to prove that while it is improtant to win in the regular season, anything can happen in the playoffs.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I was listening to Lawrence Holmes yesterday on my way home. He was mentioning the Cubs rash of injuries and how that would be the only thing that would stop them. I didn't have the desire to call in and tell him how long of a season is, and you only have to look at the Rockies from last year or the Cardinals 2 sasons ago to prove that while it is improtant to win in the regular season, anything can happen in the playoffs.

That, and the fact that there's still an entire half-season (we're at the 81-game mark now) of baseball left to be played, and there's no guarantee that the Cubs will continue at this pace. Remember 1969.

jcw218
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
that bad?

Yes :tongue:

RKMeibalane
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
that bad?

I don't pay much attention to the Diamondbacks, but the Phillies have cooled off ever since losing two of three to the Red Sox last week, though they are winning their game this evening.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
There is a major gulf between the quality of players and teams in the AL vs. NL.

The AL is superior in almost every measurable way.

russ99
06-28-2008, 10:51 PM
BTW: With today's win, the Sox are only 3.5 games behind the Cubs and their former best record.

But who really cares about that, I'm much more interested in the AL Central standings.

TommyJohn
06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't pay much attention to the Diamondbacks, but the Phillies have cooled off ever since losing two of three to the Red Sox last week, though they are winning their game this evening.

Around May or so the Diamondbacks had one of the best records in the NL.
Now they are 41-40, but still in first place in that **** division.

It's Time
06-29-2008, 03:10 AM
BTW: With today's win, the Sox are only 3.5 games behind the Cubs and their former best record.

Going into Sunday the Cubs still have the best record in Baseball. The Angels, Red Sox and Rays all lost.

daveeym
06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
OMG the Cubs lead is Shrinking.

TommyJohn
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM
OMG the Cubs lead is Shrinking.

Memo-riiiiiieees, Pressed between the pages of my miiiiiiind.

LITTLE NELL
06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
If the Sox get the sweep, and LAAA, Boston and Tampa take care of business, then the Cubs will only have the fourth best record in baseball -- behind three of the four AL teams in the pro forma playoffs (off the heels of being swept by the fourth pro forma AL playoff team).

They have to be pulling their hair out at this point. Me, I'm looking forward to the Mark Buehrle show (narrated by Joe Morgan) tomorrow night. And then John and Gavin taking a crack at Cleveland.

Funny how things change in a week in baseball.
As of right now the Flubs still have the best record based on pct. points;
.605 for Cubs, .603 for Boston.

soxpride724
06-29-2008, 01:44 PM

According to Cub fans, they have won a World Series for each week they have topped the power rankings.:scratch: