PDA

View Full Version : Could Thome be the odd man out?

eastchicagosoxfan
06-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Konerko's return is just a few days away and someone has to go. Thome is the least versatile guy on the team. Without Thome the team speed improves. He hasn't been hitting well. What other value does he have? He's a left-handed bat, and releasing him wouldn't be cheap, but is it time?

Lip Man 1
06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Uribe or Russell will be sent away.

Lip

JB98
06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
KW is working to trade Uribe.

No, there's no chance Thome is the odd man out. We didn't exactly tear it up offensively in the NL parks.

balke
06-27-2008, 07:42 PM
no.

/end thread

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Im not sure if Thome is finished. If they did decide to let him go I would go with a DH combo of Swisher, Paulie, and Dye. Swish would be the swing guy and play 1B and right. Could be a big help to PK and JD giving them a day off in the field.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
They would not keep Wise over Thome. Sure, Wise has speed, but he's basically a second Ozuna.

thomas35forever
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Even after a win over the Cubs, the Thome haters are still out. The day KW releases Thome while we're in first is the day I become a Flubs fan.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM
If Thome continues to strikeout, and otherwise not hit, what's his value to the team?

balke
06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
June .296/.400/.630

Would you guys start doing research before calling out players who are "done" or "worthless" or telling the to step up.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Even after a win over the Cubs, the Thome haters are still out. The day KW releases Thome while we're in first is the day I become a Flubs fan.

I'm not a Thome hater. If a team's Designated Hitter isn't hitting, and he otherwise has no value, how long does a team stick with him?

WhiteSox5187
06-27-2008, 07:57 PM
June .296/.400/.630

Would you guys start doing research before calling out players who are "done" or "worthless" or telling the to step up.
Up until today (where I think the rust was clearly showing) he's looked good in June. I let him stay and from what my cousin told me (and he's friends with a good friend of Thome, I know I know, I might as well say Otis told me or that I heard it at the airport) Thome is about ready to call it quits after this season. If the Sox offer him something he might sign on (especially if we have a good season), but if they don't, he's not going to look for other offers.

balke
06-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Up until today (where I think the rust was clearly showing) he's looked good in June. I let him stay and from what my cousin told me (and he's friends with a good friend of Thome, I know I know, I might as well say Otis told me or that I heard it at the airport) Thome is about ready to call it quits after this season. If the Sox offer him something he might sign on (especially if we have a good season), but if they don't, he's not going to look for other offers.

I'm pretty sure he has an option that kicks in automatically if he gets X amount of at-bats.

I don't think he did bad today, he scored a run and had a hit down the line stolen on a good play by the first baseman.

gosox41
06-27-2008, 08:35 PM

That may be true, but wasn't Thome the guy who said he didn't want to leave Cleveland as an FA and then took the highest offer and ran?

FWIW, I've been anti-Thome this year, but he has hit great in June. Hopefully it continues as we need him if we're going to win. I don't hate the guy, but if we're trying to win now and don't want his option to vest, then when he slumps like in April/May he belongs on the bench.

Bob

HangWiffum
06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
he's on the team for the rest of the year. but i do not want him back for next year. i thank him for what he did with us, but it's time to move on.

Hitmen77
06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
no.

/end thread

:thumbsup:

btrain929
06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
no.

/end thread

Repeat.

kevin57
06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
One can only hope.

MCHSoxFan
06-27-2008, 10:31 PM
KW is working to trade Uribe.

No, there's no chance Thome is the odd man out. We didn't exactly tear it up offensively in the NL parks.

Yes and...

MCHSoxFan
06-27-2008, 10:32 PM
no.

/end thread

...Yes.

JB98
06-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Yes and...

This team needs Thome. Period.

gobears1987
06-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Russell will be gone. We have enough arms in the pen.

hawkjt
06-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Thome goes nowhere this year. Even when he is hitting poorly, his presence in the lineup influences pitchers. He will get hot at some point this summer and carry this team. Mark my words. He is a july/august/sept hitter.
He will hit 30 dingers, and 90 rbis...he is currently second in the league among DH's in homers and rbi's ,I believe. Show me a great DH this year.

MCHSoxFan
06-27-2008, 10:38 PM
This team needs Thome. Period.

Oh, I know. I was agreeing. Look at what I quoted. I WANT THOME.

MCHSoxFan
06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Russell will be gone. We have enough arms in the pen.

I'm gonna have to say YES to that. I actually WANT Wise.

MCHSoxFan
06-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Thome goes nowhere this year. Even when he is hitting poorly, his presence in the lineup influences pitchers. He will get hot at some point this summer and carry this team. Mark my words. He is a july/august/sept hitter.
He will hit 30 dingers, and 90 rbis...he is currently second in the league among DH's in homers and rbi's ,I believe. Show me a great DH this year.

Don't forget WALKS! I love OBP!!!

Tragg
06-27-2008, 10:44 PM
With Ozuna, Uribe, Wise and a 12-man pitching staff...no is the answer to the question. Thome could not be the odd man out.

Noneck
06-27-2008, 11:05 PM
It doesn't matter, no way the Sox will salt and pepper his 2nd half salary, he stays for the year no matter what he does.

JB98
06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
With Ozuna, Uribe, Wise and a 12-man pitching staff...no is the answer to the question. Thome could not be the odd man out.

I don't know why we are carrying 12 pitchers. Our starters go deep into games. As it stands now, Jenks does not get enough work.

lumpyspun
06-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I heard Baines is the odd man out...his knees are just too much of a liability out there.

Thome will replace him as 1B coach which works out well since nobody will have to be sent down or out.

Lillian
06-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Thome has been uncharacteristically better vs lefties than righties, this year.
His .266 avg. and .641 slugging percentage vs. lefties are very near his career norm.
Why has he suddenly begun to struggle so badly vs righties?
One explanation could be that his bat speed has slowed, and that he is now unable to catch up to good fastballs. It is more likely that he sees more fastballs against righties. Lefties are more apt to attempt to exploit the conventionally perceived advantage of throwing breaking balls that break away from the hitter.
Of course the team has continued to assert that his bat speed is fine, and that he is healthy. But what else would they say? They certainly aren't going to advertise that his bat speed is down.
If he has indeed lost some bat speed, what can he do to compensate? Could he try a lighter bat? Bonds used a very light bat to hit all of those late career homers, and that was during the period when his HGH enhanced body would seem to have been able to swing a tree trunk.

voodoochile
06-28-2008, 08:41 AM
His .266 avg. and .641 slugging percentage vs. lefties are very near his career norm.
One explanation could be that his bat speed has slowed, and that he is now unable to catch up to good fastballs. It is more likely that he sees more fastballs against righties. Lefties are more apt to attempt to exploit the conventionally perceived advantage of throwing breaking balls that break away from the hitter.
Of course the team has continued to assert that his bat speed is fine, and that he is healthy. But what else would they say? They certainly aren't going to advertise that his bat speed is down.
If he has indeed lost some bat speed, what can he do to compensate? Could he try a lighter bat? Bonds used a very light bat to hit all of those late career homers, and that was during the period when his HGH enhanced body would seem to have been able to swing a tree trunk.

I noticed that even with the shift on pitchers have been pitching away away away on Thome for the first half. It's why he's been trying to drive the ball LCF and CF and has been successful doing so. Recently that trend is reversing a bit and he's actually pulled a couple homers and scalded some balls to the right side that it didn't matter who was lined up where, it was a hit.

That ball he hit yesterday in the 5th or 6th was simply smoked. Lee got real lucky, stuck out his glove and the ball found the pocket. I am sure Lee was as surprised he caught it as anyone.

DumpJerry
06-28-2008, 08:51 AM
June .296/.400/.630

Look here, stop using facts to ruin a perfectly good baseless argument.

Thome still strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers, that is why he get so many walks.

That may be true, but wasn't Thome the guy who said he didn't want to leave Cleveland as an FA and then took the highest offer and ran?
Why not give the whole story so he does not look like the bad guy? The Indians made a half-assed insulting offer to Thome. The Phillies offered him a significantly larger, MUCH LARGER, sum of money. Outside of psycho Indian fans, nobody blamed him.

btrain929
06-28-2008, 09:00 AM

One of the main differences I've noticed between last year and this year is that he is laying off of the inside fastball a lot more this year. I know they have the shift on, and he might be afraid of just hitting a groundball to 2nd, but didn't they use the shift last year too? I see pitches on the inside corner that last year and in '06 he would turn on and smash 400 ft in the right field bleachers, but now he is taking them for a strike. Then he fouls a pitch off for strike 2, then he strikes out looking or swinging on a high fastball. I guess the word would be he is more timid this year than last.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I would make Ozuna the odd man out. I would rather keep Uribe than Ozuna. Uribe has risen in my estimation the last several weeks as he has been good coming off the bench as a pinch hitter and steady in the field. He is a better RBI man than Ozuna, and Ozuna, for all his supposed speed, is no threat to use it to try and steal a base.

Jeckle2000
06-28-2008, 10:39 AM
If Brian Anderson doesn't start picking up some hits he'll be the odd man out... Whats really sad is they are setting him up to fail since he hits lefties better then righties...

Jimmy John
06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd personally like to see Thome hit his 600th in a Sox uniform. He's going to start hitting...mark my words.

As much as I hate to say it, Crede needs to go. I think Fields would be a nice shot in the arm for this team. He has a little more speed than Crede, with about the same amount of pop. Joe's inconsistency has been glaring this season.

guillen4life13
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd personally like to see Thome hit his 600th in a Sox uniform. He's going to start hitting...mark my words.

As much as I hate to say it, Crede needs to go. I think Fields would be a nice shot in the arm for this team. He has a little more speed than Crede, with about the same amount of pop. Joe's inconsistency has been glaring this season.

1) I don't know if Fields is healthy right now, but last I checked he was on the DL.

2) Take a look at his AAA stats and tell me if he is really going to outperform Crede at this level.

I don't have a single problem with the way Crede has played this year. He has made me really want the Sox to re sign him.

It has also made me wish Scott Boras would dig a hole and jump in.

voodoochile
06-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Just spitballing ideas here...

Can Richar play 3B or be trained to play 3B? Then they could re-sign OC, leave Ramirez at 2B slide Richar into 3B when Crede leaves and probably have one of the best IF defenses in baseball history.

If not, I'd still like to see Ramirez in CF with OC re-signed and Richar at 2B next year.

However if JT gets his PA this year, there won't really be an open slot on the roster other than Crede/Fields because the Sox will let OC go and bring up Richar to play 2B with Ramirez moving to SS.

I'd really like to keep OC though if possible.

sox1970
06-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Can Richar play 3B or be trained to play 3B? Then they could re-sign OC, leave Ramirez at 2B slide Richar into 3B when Crede leaves and probably have one of the best IF defenses in baseball history.

If not, I'd still like to see Ramirez in CF with OC re-signed and Richar at 2B next year.

However if JT gets his PA this year, there won't really be an open slot on the roster other than Crede/Fields because the Sox will let OC go and bring up Richar to play 2B with Ramirez moving to SS.

I'd really like to keep OC though if possible.

The Sox have some options. My feeling is that Crede and Cabrera are both goners after this season.

I think Fields will be at 3rd. That's the easy part, if his knee isn't worse than we know.

I think Ramirez stays in the middle infield--at least I hope he does.

Maybe Ramirez moves to short, and Richar/Getz fill 2B in 2009. Then move Ramirez back to 2B in 2010 if Gordon Beckham is ready to take over SS. A lot depends on Beckham's development, and how Richar and/or Getz do at the major league level.

It's nice to see the Sox having some real options.

palehozenychicty
06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
The Sox have some options. My feeling is that Crede and Cabrera are both goners after this season.

I think Fields will be at 3rd. That's the easy part, if his knee isn't worse than we know.

I think Ramirez stays in the middle infield--at least I hope he does.

Maybe Ramirez moves to short, and Richar/Getz fill 2B in 2009. Then move Ramirez back to 2B in 2010 if Gordon Beckham is ready to take over SS. A lot depends on Beckham's development, and how Richar and/or Getz do at the major league level.

It's nice to see the Sox having some real options.

Indeed. He's a guy that had a chance to prove some things this year and it hasn't happened. I hope he recovers.

soxwon
06-28-2008, 12:42 PM
no chance they release thome, trade if anything.
wise will get send back. or adam russell

06-28-2008, 12:45 PM

He came up as a SS and was moved to 2B in the Dbacks organization because he doesn't have the arm. So it's doubtful, at best, that he could do the job at 3B.

voodoochile
06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
He came up as a SS and was moved to 2B in the Dbacks organization because he doesn't have the arm. So it's doubtful, at best, that he could do the job at 3B.

Ah, yeah, if you haven't got the arm for SS, doubtful you could play 3B. Thanks.

kitekrazy
06-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I would make Ozuna the odd man out. I would rather keep Uribe than Ozuna. Uribe has risen in my estimation the last several weeks as he has been good coming off the bench as a pinch hitter and steady in the field. He is a better RBI man than Ozuna, and Ozuna, for all his supposed speed, is no threat to use it to try and steal a base.

I agree. Uribe's value is being a good solid backup for the infield.

kitekrazy
06-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Can Richar play 3B or be trained to play 3B?

I would risk that move before putting Fields at 3B.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
A couple of tidbits:

BA actually hits better against RHP than LHP, but because Wise is a lefty, Wise has been getting most of the CF starts against RHP and BA is getting starts v. LHP.

Second, I too think Crede and Cabrera are gone after this year. That means Fields likely will be the starting 3B next year. Clearly the 3B defense will take a hit. What I am hoping is that Ramirez earns the starting SS job for the next decade, and that Richar does the same at 2B.

Beckham ought to be ready for the 2011 season. Paulie's contract expires after the 2010 season. It would be nice if a middle infield logjam "forced" Beckham to 3B and thus "forced" Fields to 1B. All of a sudden you've got a reasonably inespensive infield with power at the corners and speed all the way around the horn.

For 2009, I think we'll see Thome gone after this season and Dye and PK sharing time at DH, with Swisher rotating between OF and 1B.

Save McCuddy's
06-28-2008, 07:11 PM
If Thome continues to strikeout, and otherwise not hit, what's his value to the team?

Regardless -- he's still got more value to the team than Paulie.

Daver
06-28-2008, 07:14 PM

How?

Save McCuddy's
06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
It probably looks bad for BA right now. Either he or Russell are the closest to out the door. Wise is giving us a dimension offensively that seems more effective than BA's occasional power and Ozzie hasn't been known to lose much sleep over playing poor defenders in center.

Not sure if the Loaiza/Russell additions were designed to get us through inter-league or if Ozzie really thought he needed to get Masset into shorter appearances.

Daver
06-28-2008, 07:24 PM
It probably looks bad for BA right now. Either he or Russell are the closest to out the door. Wise is giving us a dimension offensively that seems more effective than BA's occasional power and Ozzie hasn't been known to lose much sleep over playing poor defenders in center.

Not sure if the Loaiza/Russell additions were designed to get us through inter-league or if Ozzie really thought he needed to get Masset into shorter appearances.

Wise has proven in the last two games he has no business roaming around in center field.

MarySwiss
06-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Sorry, but no. Paulie--when healthy--plays a solid defensive first base.

MarySwiss
06-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Wise has proven in the last two games he has no business roaming around in center field.

Wow, this is tough! Wise is--at least recently--better with the bat, but would anyone seriously argue that he's a better defensive CF than BA?

Daver
06-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow, this is tough! Wise is--at least recently--better with the bat, but would anyone seriously argue that he's a better defensive CF than BA?

Defense won today's game, you skimp on defense for offense it will start costing you games.

Save McCuddy's
06-28-2008, 07:36 PM
How?

Well, for openers:

1. Thome's lefty

2. Thome has always, including the past two seasons been the better hitter of the two.

3. At this point in both of their careers it could rightly be said that the downside is approaching and the effectiveness is waning. If neither is a .250 plus average hitter, than I'll take the one who bats lefty and has more power.

4. You're sure to say that Paulie plays a position in the field and that adds to his case. Maybe it does, but in the Sox world, all Paulie being here means is that we'll have less defense in center with Swisher than we do currently with Wise/BA.

My Solution:

Pablo or Uribe goes.

With 82 games left, you can take the starts available at 1B, CF, DH and maybe 6 games each in left an right to distribute between Paulie, Thome, Wise and Swisher.

That could play out like this:

Thome 66 all at DH
Paulie 74 16 at DH, 58 at 1B
Swish 78 24 at 1B, 6 in RF, 6 in LF and 42 in CF
Wise 40 all in CF

Save McCuddy's
06-28-2008, 07:38 PM

As I said, oh long-necked one: "Ozzie has not shown that he loses much sleep over putting poor defenders in CF". Thanks for restating my point though.

TomBradley72
06-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I hope Ozzie sends Russell down for now. KW pretty much admitted he'll shop Uribe before the trading deadline...no reason to lose Wise via waivers or lose Ozuna for good or screw with BAs head after he's done a decent job this year just to keep Uribe on the roster for a few more weeks.

We very rarely need our 12th pitcher and we have a days off July 7th and then July 14-17 (4 day All Star break this year?)...so rest shouldn't be an issue.

Daver
06-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I hope Ozzie sends Russell down for now. KW pretty much admitted he'll shop Uribe before the trading deadline...no reason to lose Wise via waivers or lose Ozuna for good or screw with BAs head after he's done a decent job this year just to keep Uribe on the roster for a few more weeks.

We very rarely need our 12th pitcher and we have a days off July 7th and then July 14-17 (4 day All Star break this year?)...so rest shouldn't be an issue.

Wise already cleared waivers once, no one else really wants him.

MHOUSE
06-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Thome isn't going anywhere, he's going to work out his swing and get going into the Dog Days of summer. I've been disappointed, but the guy isn't a 45 homer 120 RBI guy anymore, plain and simple. Look around the league and show me another DH not on the Yankees or Red Sox that'd you'd rather have on our team...

oeo
06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Konerko's return is just a few days away and someone has to go. Thome is the least versatile guy on the team. Without Thome the team speed improves. He hasn't been hitting well. What other value does he have? He's a left-handed bat, and releasing him wouldn't be cheap, but is it time?

Check out his numbers in June...he isn't finished. He was hot, but hasn't had ABs in a week because we were in NL parks.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Defense won today's game, you skimp on defense for offense it will start costing you games.This seems to be such a difficult concept for today's baseball fan to grasp. So many want every position to be occupied with the highest OPS guy available, regardless of defense.

roadrunner
06-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Wise already cleared waivers once, no one else really wants him.

I found it amusing how during friday's game hawk and dj were talking about how Wise has "value" because of his speed and ability to play all three outfield positions. (As if some team is going to give something up for him) I think that KW is going to find that Uribe and Ozuna don't have much value on the trade market either.

I'm not a huge thome fan but i think clearly it's gotta be russell or on of the three aforementioned to go when Paulie returns. I must say, however, that I like the look of the roster in general with one less baseclogger.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I found it amusing how during friday's game hawk and dj were talking about how Wise has "value" because of his speed and ability to play all three outfield positions. (As if some team is going to give something up for him) I think that KW is going to find that Uribe and Ozuna don't have much value on the trade market either.

I'm not a huge thome fan but i think clearly it's gotta be russell or on of the three aforementioned to go when Paulie returns. I must say, however, that I like the look of the roster in general with one less baseclogger.

Me too.

balke
06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Defense won today's game, you skimp on defense for offense it will start costing you games.

I agree. I feel we almost lost yesterday's game because Wise couldn't snag that high flyball double D-Lee got yesterday. It was in the air forever, and a good CFer would've been able to make a play on that ball. I was quite upset.

MetroPD
06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
He should be benched and shouted at by Ozzie.

russ99
06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Hold all these roster thoughts until Paulie actually comes back.

He had a setback today and they're shutting him down for 3 more days, then starting the swinging sessions over, leading to rehab assignment if all goes well. Hopefully that's all there is to his injury and Paulie can get healthy and have his usual second half surge soon.

I also hope his hand is feeling better after the time off.

Kittle'sNeighbor
06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Trade him for Big Hurt and right the wrongs that have been commited.

ohhoy
06-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Why are people still talking on this thread? Thome isn't going anywhere. He still walks a lot, has respectable power when he hits the ball. He is at 14 homers. Thome is traditionally a streaky player too, so if he gets hot when we need him, he is still very dangerous.

GO SOX!

jabrch
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Why are people still talking on this thread? Thome isn't going anywhere. He still walks a lot, has respectable power when he hits the ball. He is at 14 homers. Thome is traditionally a streaky player too, so if he gets hot when we need him, he is still very dangerous.

GO SOX!

He is hitting .281/.397/.609 in June. I know he struggled early, and some people are very impatient and look to make moves just to make them, but you are right Ohhoy - this should be reason enough to stop thinking about it.

ChiSoxFan7
06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
i am/was a thome fan, but (even with his recent sucess) i think he will survive PK's return, but at the trading deadline, i would see him going to a team who is in desperate need for left handed power or more likely veteran leadership (Tb or ...?).

It's the end of his career and the sox already have tons of power and not enough speed.

that being said whatever does happen congrats on the mileston big jim:gulp:

UofCSoxFan
06-30-2008, 03:52 PM
He is hitting .281/.397/.609 in June. I know he struggled early, and some people are very impatient and look to make moves just to make them, but you are right Ohhoy - this should be reason enough to stop thinking about it.

Like you said his OBP is near .400 for the month and has been in the upper 3's all year. That coupled with his slugging abilitiy makes him very valuable. NO WAY do you trade him to a team you may face in the playoffs.

People get one thought in their minds and it takes forever for them to change it. I still remember when Dye was getting lumped in with Konerko and Thome early on in the year as stuggling, despie the fact he was hitting like .280 at the time.

asindc
06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Like you said his OBP is near .400 for the month and has been in the upper 3's all year. That coupled with his slugging abilitiy makes him very valuable. NO WAY do you trade him to a team you may face in the playoffs.

People get one thought in their minds and it takes forever for them to change it. I still remember when Dye was getting lumped in with Konerko and Thome early on in the year as stuggling, despie the fact he was hitting like .280 at the time.

I've always wondered about that myself. In fact, I've always advocated that Dye should have been the 3 hitter, before TCQ arrived, ahead of Thome.

Thome will be fine. He will never be what he was before 2007, but most of us knew that when the Sox acquired him. I wouldn't mind a trade if it means establishing a more balanced offense that can manufacture runs against tough pitching, but definitely not to an AL contender.

Tragg
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Thome, Ozuna, Uribe, Wise.

The answer to who doesn't belong in that list is Thome? Yikes.

KenBerryGrab
07-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Why are people still talking on this thread?

Because they haven't been paying attention? The man is seriously hitterish these days and poised for real damage. Welcome back, Slugger Jim!