PDA

View Full Version : O.c.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Since the weather has warmed Cabrera has really shown me something. Question is should we try to sign him. I would'nt mind seeing him out at short for a few more years and keep Alexei at 2nd. If he starts to lose a step in a couple years we could switch him to 2nd and put Alexei at SS.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-27-2008, 07:52 PM
That Garland trade doesn't look so bad now does it? :cool:

Anyway, I doubt OC will be here next year. Right now this is a contract year for him so he needs to play his butt off. But I see Alexei moving over to SS next year and Richar/Getz will battle it out for the 2B job.

BadBobbyJenks
06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
NO OC IS THE WORST PLAYER EVER!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: Trade him for anything, I hate him he sux in the field he is not a leader he doesn't hit!!!!! AARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry::angry::an gry::angry::angry:

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
NO OC IS THE WORST PLAYER EVER!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: Trade him for anything, I hate him he sux in the field he is not a leader he doesn't hit!!!!! AARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry::angry::an gry::angry::angry::angry:
But how do you really feel about him?

Tragg
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM

It doesn't look that good either, unless we get draft choices, which is highly doubtful.
If Alexei can play short, move him there.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Anything can happen but with no movement at all on talking about a new contract it looks like Cabrera wants to leave as soon as he can and get back to the West Coast.

I've read some reports that say Seattle.

Lip

johnnyg83
06-27-2008, 08:46 PM
OC's batting .350+ in June. And as Hawk and DJ point out, he's been the catalyst almost all month ... getting on ... solid D ... vocal leadership in the clubhouse.

But he's not young, and I'd be hesitant to sign him for more than 2 years. And I bet he's looking for his last big contract and 4+.

jabrch
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Anything can happen but with no movement at all on talking about a new contract it looks like Cabrera wants to leave as soon as he can and get back to the West Coast.

I've read some reports that say Seattle.

Lip

If he wants to go to Seattle, then he's chosing location over winning. That's cool - his choice... I'll happily take the draft picks in that case.

In the meantime, I hope he kicks ass, earns that 4 year deal, helps us win, and qualifies as a Type A FA.

DickAllen72
06-27-2008, 10:02 PM

Anyway, I doubt OC will be here next year. Right now this is a contract year for him so he needs to play his butt off. But I see Alexei moving over to SS next year and Richar/Getz will battle it out for the 2B job.
I thought it was a good trade at the time, because the Orlando Cabrera we've been seeing lately is the OC I thought we were getting.

After watching OC for the first couple of months this season, I definitely had second thoughts about the trade and thought KW and the Sox got ripped off. He did suck earlier in the season and his comments about Ozzie and his apparent aloofness in the clubhouse didn't bode well. Happily, the OC KW traded for and the one I thought we were going to get has showed up and right now the trade looks very good.

hawkjt
06-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I had always feared OC's bat when he played against us so I was ready to see that again and now it is back. He is a .300 hitter and I think he will get back there. He is a one year player but he could get us to the playoffs in that one year so I like the trade now. Big part was Gavin Floyd coming thru and replacing Big Jon Garland...and he has. I liked Jon but it has worked out fine.

Zisk77
06-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I remember reading an article that said both sides would talk AFTER the season. So no talks at the present doesn't necessarily mean his gone.

JB98
06-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I had always feared OC's bat when he played against us so I was ready to see that again and now it is back. He is a .300 hitter and I think he will get back there. He is a one year player but he could get us to the playoffs in that one year so I like the trade now. Big part was Gavin Floyd coming thru and replacing Big Jon Garland...and he has. I liked Jon but it has worked out fine.

That is the most important thing. I knew Cabrera would help us. He's better than Uribe. I really questioned whether Floyd could replace Garland. He has.

Tragg
06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
That is the most important thing. I knew Cabrera would help us. He's better than Uribe. . That's a mighty low bar. The issue with the trade is not that Cabrera isn't an upgrade - he is - the issue is opportunity cost. Is that the best we could have gotten for Jon Garland?
I assume we have to offer him arb to get the draft choices...we can't take the chance because he'll accept. I think he's taking a pay cut on the open market.

Craig Grebeck
06-27-2008, 11:53 PM
That's a mighty low bar. The issue with the trade is not that Cabrera isn't an upgrade - he is - the issue is opportunity cost. Is that the best we could have gotten for Jon Garland?
I assume we have to offer him arb to get the draft choices...we can't take the chance because he'll accept. I think he's taking a pay cut on the open market.
Are you serious?

We'll offer him arbitration. He'll decline. He'll go elsewhere. We get two picks.

veeter
06-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Cabrera is a solid veteran player, you can count on. I'd like him for two more years, if he'd sign. Getz, Richar, and Beckham are question marks. Uribe is Uribe. I love Ramirez, but if we lose Cabrera we'd miss him immediately.

cws05champ
06-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Are you serious?

We'll offer him arbitration. He'll decline. He'll go elsewhere. We get two picks.
agreed, I can't imagine any scenario where the Sox would not offer Arb to get picks. If he did accept then we have him for another year, no downside there.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2008, 01:01 AM
That's a mighty low bar. The issue with the trade is not that Cabrera isn't an upgrade - he is - the issue is opportunity cost. Is that the best we could have gotten for Jon Garland?

agreed, I can't imagine any scenario where the Sox would not offer Arb to get picks. If he did accept then we have him for another year, no downside there.
No way he'd accept arbitration. He's looking for big bucks, multi-year, guaranteed. And as cws05 said, if he did, I'd be okay with another year of him.

UofCSoxFan
06-28-2008, 01:03 AM
It doesn't look that good either, unless we get draft choices, which is highly doubtful.
If Alexei can play short, move him there.

Is Garland that much better than the people who replaced him (Danks or Floyd)? I say a resounding no. Cabrera has played great the last two months both defensively, and as a leadoff hitter, despite the fact that he has little experience in the role. Not to mention Garland will be a free agent next year too.

Can you honestly say this team would have a better record right now with Uribe playing every day, Garland in the rotation, and Floyd not on the team?

Couple that with as bad as Alexei was at the beginning of the year, I think we would have a lost at least 5 to 10 more games right there. Not to mention the fact that Ramirez would have been thrown into the everyday role right away instead of eased in, and who knows what kind of impact immediate failure may have had.

Is Cabrera the best SS in baseball....no....but I'd say he's top 10.

whitesox901
06-28-2008, 04:34 AM
I like OC at short this year, I think he was also brought it to tutor or reach Richar while he is at second, who can also play short, but since Alexai is the starting 2B this year he is showing him the ropes and giving him veteran advise.

comet2k
06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
NO OC IS THE WORST PLAYER EVER!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: Trade him for anything, I hate him he sux in the field he is not a leader he doesn't hit!!!!! AARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry::angry::an gry::angry::angry:

You forgot to call him a "bitch" like people here were doing a few weeks ago.