PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and Sweet Lou...

getonbckthr
06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Honestly are there any other 2 managers you would have in this city? They are both edgy, firey, at times intimidating other times comedians. They are great soundbites for the writers and great entertainment for us. So to the SOx and Cub management, Thank You for Ozzie and Sweet Lou managing in Chicago and not somewhere else.

bigsoxfan420
06-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with that statement. I always liked Sweet Lou and was glad to see him come to Chicago. I just kind of hope the Cubs would suck, just so we could watch him freak out at the media.

STRETCH!!!
06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I never liked the Cubs, but always have liked Lou. In a world of blandness, Ozzie and Lou are true characters. Years from now we'll look back on this as a golden age for Chicago managers.

vegyrex
06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd like Lou more If he was managing another team. :redface:

gobears1987
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I'd like Lou more If he was managing another team. :redface:My sentiments exactly. We have two good managers in town.

LongLiveFisk
06-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I liked the Tony LaRussa/Jim Frey era myself.

TDog
06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
How about Leo Durocher and Don Gutteridge? They were fiery teammates, playing on the left side of the Cardinals infield in the 1930s, although Gutteridge came up a couple years too late to be a member of the Gashouse Gang.

Gutteridge wasn't a very energetic manager, though, and the White Sox were irrelevant when he got his shot at managing. I have been told he he was a good coach and teacher who didn't handle well the transition from being someone players could go to for help to manager. As it turned out, his replacement, Chuck Tanner, who was an obscure player, came from nowhere to get more respect as a manager in Chicago than Durocher.

Lou Piniella reminds me a lot of Durocher, who was overrated as a manage after winning a championship with another team and going to a few World Series. Piniella is overrated as a manager. Strategically, he does a lot of stupid things, like most managers.

SBSoxFan
06-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Lou always sounds a bit like Harry Carey did at the end of his career. What's with all the slurred speech?

btrain929
06-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I was cracking up during the post-game Q&A when he just flat out said "Eric Patterson won't be in LF anymore, we'll throw someone else out there." One bad game and you're outta there.

Sucks for Eric, but still quite hilarious. Why couldn't Ozzie do that with Mack in '06?